• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
He definitely means when you're hit by the shine. SDI up should do nothing more than move you like 5-10 pixels up (or however much it moves you) prior to stun/knockback. The added ASDI should do nothing since you're holding the same direction of shine's kb.

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
Oooohhhhhhh gotcha. I'd still rather not risk getting multi-shined personally, but that might be the result of a traumatic experience at my first tourney. Scrub Falco could multi-shine...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You should try to ASDI the first shine backwards and grab frame perfect. Timing is super hard but you'll grab his double shine or any would-be sh approach out of shine. If he jumps into you, like almost crossing you up, you can do this also with shield SDI but it's really hard to hit backwards during shield stun AND grab FP after. That's when I shield one shine and buffer roll or occasional spot dodge (I often spot dodge when I'm a techroll's length from the ledge and he knows I won't roll there, and is expecting the roll towards center stage).

Edit:

Let me reiterate, this DOES NOT WORK ON FOX. You will get shined lol.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Just checked flights for pound, $145 for round trip from Fort Lauderdale is Damn good.

cheapair.com is top tier

Last edited:

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm taking my Ganon to my first tournament tomorrow. Last time I played there I mained Icies and got 2nd place to some guy's Samus. Hopefully I can record a match or two to show you guys!

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised that's what you remember him for rofl
I mean, I spent some time a while ago looking for every Ganon archive, and his was actually surprisingly up to date. I'm also reading through the entire chat and on page 364 right now. Right when you were using red text (very hard to read on this background, by the way) and he was posting every day and found himself plateauing.

It's a VERY enlightening read and has actually helped me a TON.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well I hear the moon is at vs tonight. I got drunk thinking it was next week. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Linguini is going.

twitch.tv/vsgc (I hope there's a ****ing stream)

Last edited:

DCW

Smash Apprentice
Falco Question: is cc jabbing Falco's laser any better than just jabbing immediately after getting lasered? They seem equally fast.

Hooray, the man who built Ganon video archives on youtube is back. Thanks for those, by the way.
Where are these Ganon Youtube archives?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Crouch cancelling matters. It's like a 5 frame difference.

Remember, you're only crouch cancelling when you're crouching, in the crouch position. Anything else is ASDI only and doesn't reduce stun (although it's still very helpful and at times even better than a cc).

DCW

Smash Apprentice
Huh, I don't know how I missed 5 whole frames. I'll go back and check it out in 20XX.

Edit: when would ASDI down be better than cc, if there is such a difference?

Last edited:

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
Falco Question: is cc jabbing Falco's laser any better than just jabbing immediately after getting lasered? They seem equally fast.

Where are these Ganon Youtube archives?
He has youtube playlists of matches. I'll try to find them.

Edit: not finding them at the moment. Maybe Coast can help?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Move to Boston. He comes by our parts quite often ;)
Lol nice. I could always go to NC to and hit up PPMD for Marth practice. I think I'll be in middle Georgia for a little while, and then possibly move somewhere lol. Won't matter so much where, since I'll be working and traveling a lot like I used to.

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
Okay, guys, serious question time. If you could start your melee career over again, what would you do differently?

Different character, different style, different controller holding, different practice methods... All that stuff.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'd dual main Ganon and marth from the start. Ganon-wise, I'd practice perfect wavelands out of empty sh and chaingrabs like crazy. I also would've tried harder to always have a training partner. I would've definitely started abusing NIL and shield dropping sooner.

Linguini

Smash Master
Got 3-0'd by moon :(. All last stock but he was just a little more smooth than me lol. (Un)rusted I could def take him tho. GG's nonetheless.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Crouch cancelling matters. It's like a 5 frame difference.

Remember, you're only crouch cancelling when you're crouching, in the crouch position. Anything else is ASDI only and doesn't reduce stun (although it's still very helpful and at times even better than a cc).
Crouch Canceling is actually active from frame one of your crouching down animation. So in other words, from the first frame of the crouching down into crouch animation, CC is applied. So you can CC out of a run on frame 1 if you crouch, but you have to be running, cause you can't crouch when you're dashing.

Okay, guys, serious question time. If you could start your melee career over again, what would you do differently?

Different character, different style, different controller holding, different practice methods... All that stuff.
I've contemplated this before and I think I would have maybe been a Samus main, or maybe I would have stuck with Link longer lol idk.

The smart thing that I should have done was stick with Ganon the entire time. I've stunted a lot of my growth as a competitor because of my constant switching.

It's hard to think about how I would do things differently if I would have to start all over again, cause there is some bias with how long I've known how Ganon works and been playing him, you would have to also consider erasing your knowledge of the game, literally starting again from scratch.

If that's the case, then I would probably be maining Marth or Samus.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Got 3-0'd by moon :(. All last stock but he was just a little more smooth than me lol. (Un)rusted I could def take him tho. GG's nonetheless.
You entered as Cheesus?! No wonder I didn't see you or bother watching the stream.

Welp I have Linguini vods to watch now. Definitely gotta see this.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion

Basically what ace said. Dual main ganon and marth / sheik from the get go. Also, I'd have practiced the tech skill that was "too advanced" for the meta, like Shield dropping and true pivots. Stuff like that.

Probably also would have gone to more tournaments / organized them myself if there were none around me (which there were not at the time).

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Aight so now that Smashboards is back, I wanted to say that I could definitely see the rust in L Linguini 's play this time around. It looked like there were some decisions he second guessed himself on or he just messed some tech on. Remember Linguini, 1 hour of tech practice a day keep the tech flubs away!

Foxes who shine-spike in friendlies are also lame
You know what? **** it. If they're gonna do that in tournament they might as well do it in friendlies cause I want to be punished for something dumb that I do and just die for it. I want to play against an Ice Climbers that wobbles so I can learn how to beat it in friendlies. A lot of people say that stuff like this is lame, but what's really lame is if you just call something lame and don't do anything to try to beat that thing or prevent that thing and learn more about the game. What's lame is the attitude people have towards certain things like this in the game. Yes, I've had this attitude before and sometimes I'll get salty about it, but it's a good idea to remember that you need to learn everything and not just learn the stuff you want to and ignore the "lame" stuff.

Last edited:

Diosama

Stand User
What you say is true. You're right. My comment was not meant to be taken so seriously. Thank you for your input regardless.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
What you say is true. You're right. My comment was not meant to be taken so seriously. Thank you for your input regardless.
I tend to do that. I like to remind people of the big picture, even if they make a statement that isn't exactly serious, cause there's usually a valuable point to be learned from it. It can be a simple sarcastic comment that we take for granted, and that's one way to have things go under your nose without you noticing. I like to keep things in the light of reality and the mindset that should help us to improve. It has always been there when I'm on these boards and it will still be there as long as I'm on these boards.

I'm a much different person in person of course. Just take my words at face value and don't have any personal attachments to it, cause that's an easy way to have dumb grudges against people you hardly even know.

Diosama

Stand User
Just curious, did you go 0-death?

Random absolutely ridiculous theory question- is there a point where dthrow to warlock punch is guaranteed? I know it'll never happen in a match, but just for humor's sake...
Warlock punch takes 70 frames to come out, so that's a no LOL

Serious post:
1. Do IASA frames on aerials affect landing lag?
2. What are the proper applications and opportunities of wavedashing? I'm re-evaluating my playstyle, wavedashing was previously absent

Coastward

Smash Lord
legitimate problem with my game that i don't know how to fix on my own.

my mindset is tearing my playstyle apart. after every tournament, i look back on what i did wrong and what i need to work on along with a bunch of practice on those certain things. but then when the next tournament comes around, for some reason i completely forget everything and i just autoplay the entire tournament without realizing it until the end.

on saturday i got 9th at a 70 man monthly because i was purposefully reacting to my opponents movement and habits and i felt really good about it. today i got ****ed by 2 campy spacies and got 5th at a 20 man local and now i feel like ****, as if my performance on saturday meant nothing. i dont know how to ACTIVELY use my brain when i play sometimes, does that sound stupid?

like for instance,
Empty sh perfect wL ftilt/jab/grab

Lower plat wL ff perfect wL

Empty sh wL away (into immediate dd)

Pressure him without leaving yourself obviously open

Ban DL (or FD)
i thought about all of this saturday night because a similar situation happened, and i went and practiced it all. but i just DONT DO IT in tournament. every set at a tournament i get nervous and i just blank out, i really don't know why. kinda venting due to frustration from the feeling like i'm not progressing at the rate that i want to, but if anyone can help me on how to improve my mentality i'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom