• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM my friends said theyd rather keep it so that everyone pays the same amount and it makes it easier to split it between people.

wouldnt be much cheaper without the friday night, probably like 5-10 dollars.
Hm alright. $70 is a bit steep but if I have no other choice then I'll go with this one. I'll wait for @ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle to get back to me on the room with Ian.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
cool, let me know when you find out. i woulda been down to be in that ganon room if i wasnt already in a room :(
Lol Joe just messaged me on Facebook saying it's be like $74 for the weekend, so it's actually more. So I guess I'm rooming with you Coast :)

Coast, your room is in the main hotel right?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
If Joe is bringing his Chicago friends, he should be cutting you a discount. That Mark matchup
LOLLLLLL 99-1 matchup. NEVER let your shield down.

Nah, riding solo this time. Only reason they flew out was because it was Vegas lol, no interest in smash whatsoever. Wish you were coming out to this one, man. I gotta make sure to limit how much cash I bring though because I know I'm gonna be drunk money matching all the ganons.

Oh and @ Coastward Coastward it's actually by pure coincidence that we're rooming together. I guess Ian knows one of the Chcicago smashers I'm rooming with and decided they'd room together as well. If I'd have known, I would've just organized a ganon room for all of us.

Last edited:

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
http://eikelmann.tumblr.com/post/129309075632/how-long-does-it-take-the-talented-lowmid-tier

posted a sloppy rambling about something that happened today. give it a read i guess. feel free to discuss.
Honestly I agree with a lot of what I read here. I hear the time that "Ganon sucks" or "Why not play a top tier?" but for me ganon has always been that character that I come back to. I strayed for awhile but I always kept him around and I now know that maybe, just maybe, this character is who I was meant to main. It'a not about being the best, it's about being the absolute best you can be doing what you love.

Side note: I always found that BECAUSE Fox has so many options all the time he's really boring to me. It's like yeah I can do anything that I want, but I like having to be creative with restrictions I may have.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Here's the set I was talking about. After viewing it again, I played HORRIBLY. I beat this guy 2-0 the week before and this week I just kept spamming wavelands, shield grabbing, missing tech, not following up off combos, the usual terrible stuff. I also played SOOOOO slow. Very disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GLCLkO-Do&t=17m38s

BUT, what I want everyone to look out for is the smash DI technique that I mentioned the other day. I SDI'd out of, like, 2/3 of his up airs!!! I didn't even know ganon could do that so effectively. Seriously, watch these matches. You can learn what NOT to do in neutral and just how good this SDI trick is.

Oh and more pseudo dashes :troll:

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
https://gfycat.com/CloseDelightfulFlatfish
https://gfycat.com/ScholarlyKlutzyIberianchiffchaff
https://gfycat.com/UnawareDeadClam ($$$$$$$$$$)

And Ian, regarding your post: I think that, at a higher level, switching your main is a necessity to see success. At my level, it would be pretty pointless because I still have a ton of room to improve. I have habits I need to break, technical feats I need to achieve. But honestly, I don't think I'll ever switch from ganon. I'm working on a marth so I can win on FD and stadium, etc but I play to have fun and I don't ever see myself putting in the work to be the best. Maybe best in my region, but Kels is ****ing good lol.

Do what you need to if you feel like you've hit a ceiling.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
http://eikelmann.tumblr.com/post/129309075632/how-long-does-it-take-the-talented-lowmid-tier

posted a sloppy rambling about something that happened today. give it a read i guess. feel free to discuss.
I used to think "Man, where would I be if I actually mained a high tier character? How much better would have I done in the past if I mained Marth or Falco instead of Ganondorf?"

This kind of thinking really gets you nowhere. It keeps you in the past and it doesn't help to expand your skills and continue growing. I used to think this a lot, but I chose my path for a good reason, and if I went back in time I would do it again. I like that Ganondorf is such a challenge to play and get good with. I have always disliked following the norm and playing characters that most other people play. This is one of the main reasons why I will never try to develop my space animals and they shall always remain terrible. Do you realize how close you are to being the next Top Ganondorf? I feel like you're not giving yourself enough credit at times like these and it makes me question how much you really want it at all times. I know you have that drive, Ian. You want to be the best Ganondorf in the world and nothing will stop you. No high tier epiphany is going to stop you from playing the character that you love to play, it's just impossible. You can try as much as you want but you will always go back to Ganondorf, just as I have numerous times in the past.

Sure, you can learn something from playing other high tiers but in the end you main Ganondorf and you're going to reach that goal that you set forth. There honestly is still so much work to be done, and just playing a spacie because it's "easier" and "has more options" is just a dumb segway from what you really need.

Keep going, Ian. You're almost there.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
https://gfycat.com/CloseDelightfulFlatfish
https://gfycat.com/ScholarlyKlutzyIberianchiffchaff
https://gfycat.com/UnawareDeadClam ($$$$$$$$$$)

And Ian, regarding your post: I think that, at a higher level, switching your main is a necessity to see success. At my level, it would be pretty pointless because I still have a ton of room to improve. I have habits I need to break, technical feats I need to achieve. But honestly, I don't think I'll ever switch from ganon. I'm working on a marth so I can win on FD and stadium, etc but I play to have fun and I don't ever see myself putting in the work to be the best. Maybe best in my region, but Kels is ****ing good lol.

Do what you need to if you feel like you've hit a ceiling.
Yo that third one. Lol

Better than Ganon on Ice.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ian.

It's not worth wondering.

You have not maxed out Ganon.

You never will max out Ganon.

Don't listen to good players that have written off Ganondorf. You say they know best while simultaneously admitting they know nothing about Ganon. No top player ever molded their mindset after another player. They said "**** this, I know better than these fvcks" and went out to set their goal. I think this is roughly the path/quest you've been on and imho you'd be a ****ing idiot to change it.

tm

Smash Ace
Had to practice pseudo dash the other day cause there's way too much hype about it. ****'s hard lol. At least I was able to get it on both sides once, now I can say "You can keep that, Joe"

tm

Smash Ace
Ian.

It's not worth wondering.

You have not maxed out Ganon.

You never will max out Ganon.

Don't listen to good players that have written off Ganondorf. You say they know best while simultaneously admitting they know nothing about Ganon. No top player ever molded their mindset after another player. They said "**** this, I know better than these fvcks" and went out to set their goal. I think this is roughly the path/quest you've been on and imho you'd be a ****ing idiot to change it.
Gotta agree with all that. Ian you're ****ing impressive, and I think you have way more to put in. Believe in yourself, and do it for yourself and your own motivations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyhOmBPtGNM

Also please come to that MI tournament the Wednesday before Big House.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I just got that tech down fairly consistently now; and pretty much Joe showed such a strong use in application. I'll just keep this tech in my back pocket and take an easy last stock from now on...:troll:

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
http://youtu.be/wRaTUZUz3ig

Guys you really need to F with this. Just shot this real quick so nothing good, but this is FAST on BF. ABUSE IT.

When Ganon jumps to a plat, people expect a wL or just a land mostly. This snaps to the ledge and allows you to dash immediately, so you can shield drop at any given point. So many options. Drop whenever you want to.

Last edited:

NickNasty

Smash Cadet

Guys you really need to F with this. Just shot this real quick so nothing good, but this is FAST on BF. ABUSE IT.

When Ganon jumps to a plat, people expect a wL or just a land mostly. This snaps to the ledge and allows you to dash immediately, so you can shield drop at any given point. So many options. Drop whenever you want to.
I have a halfchub dude

But in all seriousness, I was doing dj NIL stuff and thought it was fast enough, but this.. this is some next level ****

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Also wd oos will get you torn up vs. Marth

Already ahead of you man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptrjGXLVqM

Why did no one say anything when I came to this exact conclusion and posted about it 7 months ago? :(

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process

Bruh this is something that I figured out 2 years ago when I was trying to figure out how to waveland rofl.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I don't implement everything that technique has to offer. I think too narrowly a lot of the time and it hinders me to think about small things like this. The hard part is figuring out how to think like that more often when trying to play seriously. Sh! t is not easy.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
On the subject of Ganon scorning, I've never really given two ****s what good players think about Ganon. When I was new, it was out of a combination of ignorance and because I knew it would only hold me back. But now, I know for a fact most of what people have to criticize Ganon with is bull****. An actual quote from a PR player in my region:

"Ganon is awful versus Falcon. If he crossup nairs, there is nothing Ganon can do."

The other thing you'll hear is someone just arbitrarily mention how Ganon is slow without really talking about how he's slow. Like when people discuss the weaknesses of a character like Peach, they say her ground speed is slow; they don't just flat out say the character itself is slow.

But anyway, I've started to grow tired of people's exaggerated views regarding Ganon. It makes people salty. You know, I'm ok with beating a salty mother ****** once in awhile. But it's not fun when the majority of the people you beat in tournament blame themselves and refuse to acknowledge that you outplayed them. I don't know if any of you have ever experienced this in a tournament setting before, but it's the worst.

The most extreme example of this i've had:

I beat a Falco in like round 2 of my local. He was salty and refused to shake my hand. But our exit away from the TV was blocked by two other sets going on (we were in the corner) so he was forced to wait with me. I asked him why he was so upset, and he said he believes he should never lose to a Ganon under any circumstances. I ask him about elite Ganon players like Kage. He proceeds to tell me about how every Ganon only wins through other people's mistakes. He believed he only lost to me because he messed up and says if he was playing on point he could beat any Ganon in the world. I'm just astounded by the level of ignorance this guy has (and his lack of awareness) at this point. So I ask him how long he's been playing. He says a few years, but most of it was training in 20xx and a competitive friend and watching videos. This was only his third tournament or something (he played like someone that had been playing for a year or so).

The new breed of players coming into smash are like this guy. They have overwhelmingly high standards and blame themselves for losses more than acknowledge the other player. It's so sad to see, and it's so apparent to me just because I play such a heavily unpopular character. I just want someone to start making top 8 at nationals with Ganon so these ****ers that have no original thoughts about the game could actually be pleasant to be around in a tournament setting.

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
I think a lot of people (especially spacie players) around that level think that as long as they have basement level technical skill, that they should never lose to anyone. They don't really realize that the game is so much more than tech.

Top Bottom