• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah she's in the ball until she drops like, half of Ganons height lower than where she initiated the move. So you know where she'll be vertically, but like wanted said her horizontal aerial mobility is insane.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
It's funny, every time I try and switch characters, whether it be Melee or PM, I tend to always find myself coming back to Ganon, regardless of the competition around here. Can't seem to get enough of the King of Evil it seems. Anybody else run into similar incidents like this? It's like, regardless of the MU I'll have trouble with, Ganon always seems to flow better for me, or at least 85% of the time anyway.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Porkchops, Blea, Rula, Zidane, Linguinas.

(IMO)

spider_sense is right there too
esam also
Elliot and prof getting there.
I'm forgetting ppl lol

For those that don't know Rula almost 2-0'd leffen at evo (maybe ceo? I'm quite :denzel: atm). Very close but he lost 2-1.

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
As an unbiased Canadian spectator, those teams look very evenly matched. It would probably come down to player order, whichever team makes the better choices will win.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I do so many accidental f-smashes on platform while attempting to fall-through. It's maddening.

Endllol

Smash Rookie
I'm really trying to improve my neutral game, it seems to be the worst part of play. I think I need to improve on my grounded game since I tend to jump way way to often. What are all options/good options out of CC. Could we get a list, so far I have:

-Dtilt (ofc)

-Grab ~ is it better to shield grab out of CC or to just stand up and press Z. I would guess there would be more startup on a shield grab but if you accidently press Z while still crouching it will Dtilt. What do you guys do.

-Jab ~ I heard there's an angle you can hold where you'll still crouch and be able to jab without having to move your control stick, any truth behind it (if so whats the angle) or I am just making up ****.

-Dsmash (situational at best)

That's what I got, I'm sure there more I just cant think of many other useful ones. Sorry to ask about something so simple I just couldn't find much information. Also any other tips in general about neutral would be much appreciated! Thanks!

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'm really trying to improve my neutral game, it seems to be the worst part of play. I think I need to improve on my grounded game since I tend to jump way way to often. What are all options/good options out of CC. Could we get a list, so far I have:

-Dtilt (ofc)

-Grab ~ is it better to shield grab out of CC or to just stand up and press Z. I would guess there would be more startup on a shield grab but if you accidently press Z while still crouching it will Dtilt. What do you guys do.

-Jab ~ I heard there's an angle you can hold where you'll still crouch and be able to jab without having to move your control stick, any truth behind it (if so whats the angle) or I am just making up ****.

That's what I got, I'm sure there more I just cant think of many other useful ones. Sorry to ask about something so simple I just couldn't find much information. Also any other tips in general about neutral would be much appreciated! Thanks![/quote

You can jab or grab out of a cc. You take the hit and from there you can counter attack; it's all situational but Ganon can do a bunch of stuff from his cc.

As far as the your jab is concerned, it's called a run cancel jab; I talked about that a long time ago. But basically you hold the stick back and slightly down. There's a certain notch where once you hold it. Ganon looks like he's crouching but as soon as your press A. Ganon should immediately be standing and jabbing. It's also good when advancing, cause now you can run and then jab someone.

spider_sense

Smash Champion

-Dtilt (ofc)

That's what I got, I'm sure there more I just cant think of many other useful ones. Sorry to ask about something so simple I just couldn't find much information. Also any other tips in general about neutral would be much appreciated! Thanks!
You can jab or grab out of a cc. You take the hit and from there you can counter attack; it's all situational but Ganon can do a bunch of stuff from his cc.

As far as the your jab is concerned, it's called a run cancel jab; I talked about that a long time ago. But basically you hold the stick back and slightly down. There's a certain notch where once you hold it. Ganon looks like he's crouching but as soon as your press A. Ganon should immediately be standing and jabbing. It's also good when advancing, cause now you can run and then jab someone.

tm

Smash Ace
Word, I only really consider something buffered if you can hold the input during stun and have the move/attack happen on the first available frame. To me it's like saying you buffered an up-b because you were already holding up lol.
If your shield gets hit on platform you can instantly start holding 45 degrees downward and you will shield drop as soon as the shield stun is over. So yeah, it is actually buffering a shield drop

At least I am under the impression that this works.

Bear with me if you guys already went over this, I'm still catching up like 3 pages ago since I took a week break lol.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
If your shield gets hit on platform you can instantly start holding 45 degrees downward and you will shield drop as soon as the shield stun is over. So yeah, it is actually buffering a shield drop

At least I am under the impression that this works.

Bear with me if you guys already went over this, I'm still catching up like 3 pages ago since I took a week break lol.
True, but I believe they're talking about buffering the 1 frame plat drops, which everyone also coincidentally refers to as shield drops as well. In this case, we're talking about buffering one of these after doing an ac aerial, perfect land, or even after an I cancel.

tm

Smash Ace
He looked like a ******** troll, and was the most glib **** I had met at the tournament that day. Clearly Smash gives his ugly *** a reason to live since he was so proud of hitting a button 180 bpms like a metronome.
:088:

tm

Smash Ace

Personally I JC grab to grab out of crouch (Y then Z). You can let go of joystick and press Z just as easily though.

If you hold 45 degrees down and away (the notch) you will crouch but pressing A will result in jab. At least that works on my controller.

True, but I believe they're talking about buffering the 1 frame plat drops, which everyone also coincidentally refers to as shield drops as well. In this case, we're talking about buffering one of these after doing an ac aerial, perfect land, or even after an I cancel.
Yeah my b. That's not really a true buffer because you still have to move the joystick with precision after your shield comes out

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ tm tm if that works then I stand corrected. I don't know if it's buffered or if people are just holding the stick in the right spot and moving it slightly when they should.

I'll give it a try next time I fire up melee.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
@ tm tm you can hit a shoulder button at the same time as having your analog stick at least farther down than 90/180 degrees. I am not sure if I'm buffering when I do this method. I'm usually orienting my analog to 90/180 depending on the direction I'm facing around the time right before I hit the ground. But I'm not sure. I do it so fast that I could just be doing it slightly after hitting the platform without noticing. Buffer or no buffer, this method works well. The next step is being able to do all aerials but dair out of it. Fair is the hardest. You gotta be fp or close to.

tm

Smash Ace
@ tm tm you can hit a shoulder button at the same time as having your analog stick at least farther down than 90/180 degrees. I am not sure if I'm buffering when I do this method. I'm usually orienting my analog to 90/180 depending on the direction I'm facing around the time right before I hit the ground. But I'm not sure. I do it so fast that I could just be doing it slightly after hitting the platform without noticing. Buffer or no buffer, this method works well. The next step is being able to do all aerials but dair out of it. Fair is the hardest. You gotta be fp or close to.
If you're doing the shield drop out of stand or l-cancel lag then I believe that you MUST move the joystick after bringing up shield. Maybe there is 1 specific y-value that doesn't require it. If you're doing it out of a dash though, you can shai drop with joystick straight down.

Shield drop fair is so hard... you have to execute the shield drop perfectly AND know exactly when it starts. Even shielddrop laser with falco is hard

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Idk I feel like I'm going to have to make a vid or something cause I'm definitely not doing it out of a dash but I'm not moving the joystick after the shield either.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
You know that moment when you hard read a Fox trying to double jump side-b back onto the stage from the ledge with an f-smash?

I did that today.

It felt good.

Also, after playing one of my friend's Peach (which is rather solid I might add), I'm almost convinced that my neutral game as Ganon vs Peach is worse than if I were to play Link. Falcon is a bit better than Ganon and on par with Link cause he's fast, but I just can't nail down the neutral with Ganon very well against Peach. I'll have to play the matchup more to understand but dang.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Man, what happened after game 2? :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOxXvgxC-EU

Me vs hindawg, super close set. That missed jab at the end of game 5 could have won the set. Critiques are appreciated as always. There was some really good and really bad **** in that set......... as always.
Damn, good ass match but don't worry Joe I got you on the Falco mu. All and all you did pretty damn well, you just have to learn how to combo birdman a little bit better, but you're almost there.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
This is a game of a set I had vs the best ICs in MA. I made some really arrogant mistakes that cost me the game/set. The SD was me trying to pseudodash to flex lol. The few missed I cancels and fast falls were due to me spilling water on my controller prior to the set. It's unfortunate I was recorded under such bad circumstances, but I did a lot of good things and I think I can best this guy next time.

Critique is welcome. This is a matchup I have little experience in but I've picked up a lot from studying it.

https://youtu.be/ziRaC8CyTGI

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol it's all good, pseudo even misses it sometimes. On the same note I saw an old Ganon ditto on YouTube, eikelmann vs rockcrock... Where dennis epically fails the rockcrock and Ian epically fails the Eikeldrop, lmao.

Edit: here's the match lol

http://youtu.be/drwITj2OXKs

Last edited:

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
Man, what happened after game 2? :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOxXvgxC-EU

Me vs hindawg, super close set. That missed jab at the end of game 5 could have won the set. Critiques are appreciated as always. There was some really good and really bad **** in that set......... as always.
Only watched the first two games but good **** man. Techchases were good, you were definitely in his head (soooo many stomps on rolls to center stage).

Only suggestion is to tighten up pressure when he is cornered. Especially don't let him laser his way out of the corner. There were a few times he was next to edge and just started spamming lasers and you were locked in shield. Same goes with double laser off the edge.

As far as the rest of the game, great job getting CC jabs off his laser approaches. For a while it seemed like every approach he tried was just getting straight stuffed, even with mixups.

Top Bottom