• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Superspright

Smash Lord
Side-b is an awful move. I love to troll with it, but it can be broken in a million ways by intercepting it, powershielding it, shield+sdi grabbing it, or just grabbing it, teching, or just roll away from it, spot-dodging it...such a **** move. I only use it to beat people's perfectly spaced grabs if I get the read, or to hose their landing lag, or once in a blue after a powershield on firebird/firefox on certain angles.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I honestly will throw out side-b in neutral vs Marth, they rarely expect the pullback/timing. And you get that free uair/bair and there's a decent chance marth is close to being offstage at that point. Not a go-to move, but you can def profit from it when you catch them off guard.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've been watching alot of Kage today, and I noticed, he lands alot of nair's. How does he get so many?
He's getting them after dairs and dthrows primarily isn't he? Better when they don't DI the dair/dthrow so you can DI trap then with the nair (hit them the opposite of the direction they're expecting). Not much use for nair in neutral.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I honestly will throw out side-b in neutral vs Marth, they rarely expect the pullback/timing. And you get that free uair/bair and there's a decent chance marth is close to being offstage at that point. Not a go-to move, but you can def profit from it when you catch them off guard.
Shield SDI beats it unfortunately. So I dunno if I'd personally use it in the neutral. I use that mix-up occasionally against Peach and Marth. I'll go side-b into wizkick, or side-b again, or sometimes up-b depending on what they do. They have to not know how to shield sdi though, otherwise it's pointless.

@ -ACE- -ACE-

Nair is sometimes used in the neutral against CF because it can trade oddly enough. Otherwise I think you're 100% correct.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Shield SDI beats it unfortunately. So I dunno if I'd personally use it in the neutral. I use that mix-up occasionally against Peach and Marth. I'll go side-b into wizkick, or side-b again, or sometimes up-b depending on what they do. They have to not know how to shield sdi though, otherwise it's pointless.

@ -ACE- -ACE-

Nair is sometimes used in the neutral against CF because it can trade oddly enough. Otherwise I think you're 100% correct.
I can catch marth after early sh aerials while he's still airborne, or when I know he's expecting a more conventional approach (spaced bair, perfect waveland to ftilt/grab/jab, plat dash to aerial, etc). It's a situational mixup but it definitely yields profit.

WTF does Ganon's nair trade with vs falcon????

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
He's getting them after dairs and dthrows primarily isn't he? Better when they don't DI the dair/dthrow so you can DI trap then with the nair (hit them the opposite of the direction they're expecting). Not much use for nair in neutral.
I usually get em on peach and marth after down throw at 0%, its E-Z $$$

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I usually get em on peach and marth after down throw at 0%, its E-Z $$$
Peach can Nair out at 0% so be careful. Uair works every time tho. I like high ftilt for DI away/behind. The beauty of it though is that when she's trying to nair out, if you win she won't be DI'ing (unless she's holding c-stick while spamming A) and you get easier followups and it's much easier to keep pressure on her.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
you can also side-b if someone is going to land right on you with an aerial because you'll pull back just far though to avoid it and the site-b will hit them unexpectedly.

Coastward

Smash Lord
you can also side-b if someone is going to land right on you with an aerial because you'll pull back just far though to avoid it and the site-b will hit them unexpectedly.
meh, it depends on what the aerial is. ian's example is what i do ALL THE TIME. im still trying to polish up my techchasing with side b, **** is actually ****ing godlike if you get the read.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
meh, it depends on what the aerial is. ian's example is what i do ALL THE TIME. im still trying to polish up my techchasing with side b, **** is actually ****ing godlike if you get the read.
Well I saw kage talk about it in his analysis of his set with n0ne. I think he punished a dair with it iirc

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] One thing that @ -ACE- -ACE- told me that I saw happen twice on Dreamland was when you got Gravy off the stage near the end, he went for a double-jump sweet spot to grab the ledge below your upair tipman spike. If you went for a well-spaced dair (cause you definitely had the timing) instead, it would have hit gravy through the stage.

You got him next time though. You played really well.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah when you read the dj dair pretty always hits where uair will often whiff on their perfect sweetspot. Situational but it's much better to hit them, whiffing is forfeiting the ledge.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
@ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] One thing that @ -ACE- -ACE- told me that I saw happen twice on Dreamland was when you got Gravy off the stage near the end, he went for a double-jump sweet spot to grab the ledge below your upair tipman spike. If you went for a well-spaced dair (cause you definitely had the timing) instead, it would have hit gravy through the stage.

You got him next time though. You played really well.
that would only work if the percent was high enough so that he couldn't react with a meteor cancel. and even then, he could potentially di and tech the stage. but if he didn't sweet spot off either of those, i think a quick bair/uair would finish the job.

all i can say is that i had one hell of a time edge guarding gravy back when i played with him. dude is really good at recovery with falcon.

Renth

Smash Hero
I had a good time tonight..

Problem is I suicided 2 -3 times per set. Man, Gainesville has really lowered my over all skill level. I need to train up.

tm

Smash Ace
You SDI the Dair in if he crosses you up, you SDI out the Dair out if he's still facing you. You SDI shine upwards to avoid pillaring and you should be good. Tm had the same issue with those Dis, he just kept getting downair to shine x3 which is no good. lol
Nice that you remember that bit lol. I always used to think that away DI was best for shine (because it can actually get you far away, unlike vs fox's) so I have yet to really try the upwards smash DI. Took way too much damage from those combos though. I also studied the MU with Duck a bit after SWEET, and have some more stuff to try in the neutral game. Just a matter of getting more practice vs good falcos now.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Hopefully if I get this job, I'll be able to save up for EVO. My pivots, my insta-shield jumps and shield drop have gotten much faster now. I can't wait for the national level; I'm looking to put in some serious work this year with Ganon. I know the struggle is going to be super real.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
@ Zigludo Zigludo - How a far are you from Shiz? You should come to the VS weeklies if you have the free time.

Also, can anybody test out this application of light shield dropping? (Preferably anybody with AR or 20xx) Ok, if you do an aerial on the platform (using z to perform the aerial) hold down z while holding straight left or right and roll the control stick at the 45 degree notch, he should bring up his light-shield and just normally fall through. I've only manage to do this once last week at SGT, but I was wondering if it has any serious application to it. I think this would change the meta for Ganon on platforms entirely cause he is COMPLETELY safe from any approaches imo. @ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM and @ Zigludo Zigludo

Zigludo

Smash Journeyman
@ spider_sense spider_sense I'm gonna see you at the monthly on Saturday, right?

I live in the same town as Shiz apparently but we've never played friendlies or anything lol. SWFL is completely dead afaik, which is dumb because we have plenty of talent (Rockcrock, Shiz, KeepSpeedN). I guess there's just nobody who's organized a venue or anything. We should have bi-weeklies or monthlies at the very least, but we just don't :/

Also..... I already go to VS every week lol. We've played each other in bracket, you knocked me into Melee Loser's at the last monthly and I knocked you out of PM the week before that

I'll see if I can figure out that light-shield drop thing tonight

Last edited:

spider_sense

Smash Champion
@ spider_sense spider_sense I'm gonna see you at the monthly on Saturday, right?

I live in the same town as Shiz apparently but we've never played friendlies or anything lol. SWFL is completely dead afaik, which is dumb because we have plenty of talent (Rockcrock, Shiz, KeepSpeedN)

Also..... I already go to VS every week lol. We've played each other in bracket, you knocked me into Melee Loser's at the last monthly and I knocked you out of PM the week before that
LOL I remember you now, yeah I picked Marth and you kicked my **** in. Didn't really know you frequent the boards like that.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'll try to make it out to the monthly assuming I get this job and they don't make me work that saturday. I'm really itching to play nowadays and even more stoked Ace about to live down here. I get my perma Ganon training partner and he's beast.

Top Bottom