• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ground game obv is key, but we need to be strong at nearly everything

I can't imagine success without using "everything" at our disposal

Sometimes being a ganon, i don't think safety is always the best choice

Btw FlamingHoe FD against Falco is prolly what i played the most ( against baxon ) and getting yourself a gun really helps ( i mean powershields ) plus grabs to tech chases and center stage is a friend
Ya you need to use everything but every move has it's purpose and place depending on your position and what the opponent is doing. Counter-attack game with Ganon also needs to be point on top of having sick defense. =P

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Watched the critique of bwmat's match with some random falco.

Random, but here's something no one has really used well.

$HITTY survival DI. Which is usually up and slightly away. This type of DI is almost a happy medium between combo DI and survival DI. It prevents ken combos, double knees, weak falco bair to dair, etc. WITHOUT giving them a free edgeguard opportunity. It takes some reaction speed, but is ideal in many situations.

Ex: if you're ar med% and get kneed by a falcon approaching from the left. Survival DI, which is up and slightly in (NNW), means you get kneed again. DI away (especially by the ledge or when at med% and above) means death or an easy edgeguard opportunity for falcon, but DI up and SLIGHTLY away (control stick at NNE position) avoids both. Something to think about. You have to pay attention to your opponent closely and be able to react somewhat quickly, but hey, that's melee.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
is my DI that bad? lol.

Anyway, Sion ain't no random, he's BC's pride and joy (although he's been inactive for a while, he's starting to come to tournaments regularly lately)

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Just watching the analysis of my first set now.

lol @ you telling me not to side-b off the ledgehop (I just watched your matches so that stands out to me)

good stuff so far.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
neutral b not hard to tech? Seriously? Teach me.

... that ****ing waveland-off-fair-sd! I think I was trying to hit him with an u-air (messed up my inputs) in the belief I would have been able to recover.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I'm talking about something farther into the VOD I'm watching.

He was saying that marth's side-b is actually easy to tech. I find it very hard.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'm talking about something farther into the VOD I'm watching.

He was saying that marth's side-b is actually easy to tech. I find it very hard.
It's because the timing of when Marth's neutral B comes down is easy to predict the moment it hits you, so you can easily SDI when it does and tech the stage.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
the future of the ganon meta is playing like a ***** from the ledge. you can all go back and quote this in a few years when someone does this successfully.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Dammit @ L Linguini that match was hard to watch of you vs Zidane. Dude really knows how to fight Ganon but just uuuuuuuuuuuuugh I hate a Fox that plays like that. Makes playing as Ganon not fun.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
yep @ X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X
I'm grinding my edge gimmicks to the max. Ganon is SOOOO good at the edge.

These days when I play one of my friends, he plays spacies, and he just retreats to center stage when I get the edge. He doesn't even challenge it, from experience.

edit: And this guy is top 3 material in this region, for sure.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
welp, looks like i gotta buy @ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM a drink at CEO LMAO

finally won the weekly, i realized how mentally challenging this game is and i just need to put myself in the mindset for the win.

ill post VODs tomorrow when i can

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Dammit @ L Linguini that match was hard to watch of you vs Zidane. Dude really knows how to fight Ganon but just uuuuuuuuuuuuugh I hate a Fox that plays like that. Makes playing as Ganon not fun.
Psssh.... inactive. Lmao

Zidane is a boss, especially vs Ganon.

Couldn't help but think of this lol. <3 Ian

Screenshot_2015-03-07-09-28-57.png

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
welp, looks like i gotta buy @ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM a drink at CEO LMAO

finally won the weekly, i realized how mentally challenging this game is and i just need to put myself in the mindset for the win.

ill post VODs tomorrow when i can
Fantastic dude! Glad I could have been of service! :)

I'll take a Screwdriver thank you very much (or any mixed drink with vodka in it). I should see you at CEO good sir! ;)

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Ground game obv is key, but we need to be strong at nearly everything

I can't imagine success without using "everything" at our disposal

Sometimes being a ganon, i don't think safety is always the best choice

Btw FlamingHoe FD against Falco is prolly what i played the most ( against baxon ) and getting yourself a gun really helps ( i mean powershields ) plus grabs to tech chases and center stage is a friend
xD FlamingHoe

dERO!

Smash Apprentice
Haha sorry misread, but think about it, and try to 4stock everytime!

Yeah i always think everymove has it's purpose, the more i play the sooner i read the the situation and have time to choose a move, feels like music haha

Sorry @saturdaynight

Coastward

Smash Lord
Drinks at CEO....

CHECK.

That's sick you'll be there coast. Congrats on that win too. Kage coming?
probably, i think 2015 is his year, he's been on a tear on his travel recently. he's looking for the big W's. maybe we'll take the same bus/flight down.

Coastward

Smash Lord

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I won my local today! All Ganon, no Fox or Falcon BS. Really happy that I didn't cop out to Fox or Falcon when the Sheiks CPed me to FD in LFs and GFs, and was still able to pull it off with Ganon ^_^

I lost Winner's Semis 2-0 to a Sheik, then had to fight through a Falco (2-0) and a Marth (2-0) to get a chance at the rematch in LFs, where I beat him 3-1 (loss was to his Fox on FD). GFs was against another Sheik, I dropped the first two games (Dreamland and Yoshi's) but then I started playing super well and reset the bracket and won the second set 3-0.

Loser's Semi's, Finals and Grand Finals were all recorded (and maybe Loser's quarters too, I don't remember), so I'll have vids to post when they go up. I did some pretty sick stuff today lol, very happy with how I played.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I went to this local today, there was also this other, bigger tournament (with a pot bonus) happening not far away, so most of the 'good' players went there instead (I went to this one because I thought it would be easy to win, lol).

Other than one guy (a falcon), my guess was correct, but I lost against him in winners finals, and lost confidence in my ganon, went fox in grand both sets and took it back. Sorry I couldn't echo Shiny & coast :(

that was the most $$$ I've ever won in a tournament though ($88) so that's kinda cool (although going to a tournament I knew the 'good' players weren't at makes this kinda greaze though)

Coastward

Smash Lord
I went to this local today, there was also this other, bigger tournament (with a pot bonus) happening not far away, so most of the 'good' players went there instead (I went to this one because I thought it would be easy to win, lol).

Other than one guy (a falcon), my guess was correct, but I lost against him in winners finals, and lost confidence in my ganon, went fox in grand both sets and took it back. Sorry I couldn't echo Shiny & coast :(

that was the most $$$ I've ever won in a tournament though ($88) so that's kinda cool (although going to a tournament I knew the 'good' players weren't at makes this kinda greaze though)
leave your ganon badge at the front desk, we'll mail you your stuff.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
that's what happens when there's three tournaments on the same day, in near proximity.

and @ Coastward Coastward .... :(

I actually feel switching to fox is a sign of weakness here. Like it's cheating. ugh

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Also, this tournament was the first one run by these TOs. The ruleset was a little strange, and the seeding was.... bad.

pools was round-robin best of 1's.

Me and the guy who got second were in the same pool.

first round bracket, second and first place played.

I absolutely wrecked everyone except guy who got second. 3/4 stocks 2-0's

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
The only local I can win is in Vermont, and now that's out of the question now that better players have discovered that easy money. Guess my only choice is to get better.

Orah

Smash Cadet
Greetings Ganonites, got some quick questions for ya.
I know wizard's foot is usually a no-no in neutral because of the ending lag, but I find if it's done from say the left platform to the right platform on Battlefield, I can put my shield up a lot sooner than I could on the ground. I was thinking maybe it could help get away from platform pressure underneath you or bait your opponent in to trying to punish the end lag but countering it with a shield drop aerial. Have ya'll ever tried this?

Also @PseudoTurtle I've been taking notes on your RLD video and I wanted to ask how often you use the RLD up air dj up air edge guard? I've rarely seen it done in tournament and I've been able to do the bair dj up air more consistently. I know the video is older now and I wanted to know if all these techniques you display are still useful as they we're when the video was created. Thanks.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ Orah Orah That sounds like a good idea to me on paper, but remember that something that out-of-the-ordinary is considered a gimmick, and won't be that useful if you use it too much. It can be used to call out someone's jump and be able to land on the platform on the other side, but I don't think it's a good use of "getting the hella out of there" because wizard's foot is so slow. It might work for Falcon because his Falcon Kick is actually pretty fast. I might give it a try today though and see what results I get.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Like Locke said, it's a gimmick. I've done it before lol, but it's about as situational as recovering with side-b. The plus side of its unexpectedness (lol) is quickly stomped out. I've also done stuff like down-b from the top platform of DL64 and simply down-b again and spike someone. So jank and so dumb lol. But when it hits someone they are that much more demoralized.

Locke I might be in central NC soon, chapel hill area. I'll let you know

Last edited:
Top Bottom