• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Coastward

Smash Lord
been practicing side b and down b techchases, its really hard to pull off sometimes but its so satisfyinggg.

cmon big house come sooner.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Yeah I just straight up suck at the Ganon ditto cause I don't play it nearly enough. I only have a lot of experience in the spacies, Marth, and Falcon matchup. I'm still pretty bad vs. Sheik, Peach, Puff, ICs, and any other mid-tier matchup. I need more xp lol.

Also, $mike told me yesterday that he had some interesting Ganon theories.

1. Ganon should use side-b and down-b to tech-chase since it covers 3/4 options if timed correctly. Don't use side-b in neutral.
  2. Instant up air is really good and underused, especially in neutral.
  3. Full hop dair in neutral can work if you time it right. Just full hopping in general is a good idea cause Ganon kind of floats and he can easily do anaaerial coming down. I definitely feel like I don't full hop enough.
lol those are theories? old news imo

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You have to get used to the spacing. Sometimes you want to walk forward but not always. I wish those images were still up on my techchasing thread....

Linguini

Smash Master
Tell jewrad to hmu next time. prob gonna go to the fest on campus wednesday mark.
Jason saw the match vs hugs you need to airdodge less in yo recoveries imo. Also gotta slow your pace down sometimes cuz he was waiting for you without camping.

ah, ian I see you stole my anti mario tactics with the lightshield...dat green mario exp

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
Tell jewrad to hmu next time. prob gonna go to the fest on campus wednesday mark.
Jason saw the match vs hugs you need to airdodge less in yo recoveries imo. Also gotta slow your pace down sometimes cuz he was waiting for you without camping.

ah, ian I see you stole my anti mario tactics with the lightshield...dat green mario exp
I'm working Wednesday but we def need to play

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
bro its tough. I know how to play the matchup safely, but I cant sneak in those hard reads always, so I lose. I usually take good puffs to game 3 though. if the puff is really gay in neutral and good at punishing ganon is fuqt.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
Light-shield shenanigans are fun against a lot of the cast. It's a lot of fun to use it against Peach when she's at this wonky angle where she can't hit stage but has committed to ledge with the umbrella still open.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
...we do so much of the same stuff. i never even noticed.
Well you are from FL, just like all the Falcos are similar the Ganons are as well. ;) I don't think it's that hard to see that especially when you were asking for a lot of advice back then.

I had some fun comboing, dair into double hit nair into Fair yesterday. lol. It's too strong! 60% damage and they are off-stage guaranteed. Easy edgeguard after. ;)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So much salt lol. Kage what if they decide to, you know, DI the nair? A sloth could hit up and away during ganon's slow nair, and the second hit will send them too far away to follow up, but wont send them far enough out so that you get an easy edgeguard.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So much salt lol. Kage what if they decide to, you know, DI the nair? A sloth could hit up and away during ganon's slow nair, and the second hit will send them too far away to follow up, but wont send them far enough out so that you get an easy edgeguard.
They can't DI it if I hit the nair from inside Ganon, they won't know where to DI. ;) That's why it's so good. Seeing a reverse upair is much more obvious then a nair.

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Well you are from FL, just like all the Falcos are similar the Ganons are as well.
uhhhh i wouldn't go that far. most falcos are absolutely not alike, and a majority of them just outright play like ****. if you can compare any other falco out there to the falcos in florida, i'd be very surprised.

and also, the only ganondorfs i'd say i'm similar to are renth and linguini. i've taken a lot from both of them. ganondorfs like bizz and spider sense are pretty fast as well, but in a completely different way. would probably say my style is faster overall.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
uhhhh i wouldn't go that far. most falcos are absolutely not alike, and a majority of them just outright play like ****. if you can compare any other falco out there to the falcos in florida, i'd be very surprised.
I think he meant that the Florida Falcos all play similarly, a sort of regional Falco style.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
They can't DI it if I hit the nair from inside Ganon, they won't know where to DI. ;) That's why it's so good. Seeing a reverse upair is much more obvious then a nair.
if both hits of the nair hit, literally all they have to do is hold away and up from where your are facing and you don't get a followup or an edgeguard. it matters only which way YOU are facing. If you hit them backwards and only get the first hit of the nair, you can follow up but it's not easy (you obviously can't jump forward, land the nair, knock them backwards, and still follow up that easily). No plan to cover every option involves nair.

Also how is "reverse uair" (turnaround uair) obvious? Do you think people are counting frames and seeing that 1-frame pivot, and saying "ok he's going to uair"? Lmao. uair is the fastest aerial....

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
if both hits of the nair hit, literally all they have to do is hold away and up from where your are facing and you don't get a followup or an edgeguard. it matters only which way YOU are facing. If you hit them backwards and only get the first hit of the nair, you can follow up but it's not easy (you obviously can't jump forward, land the nair, knock them backwards, and still follow up that easily). No plan to cover every option involves nair.

Also how is "reverse uair" (turnaround uair) obvious? Do you think people are counting frames and seeing that 1-frame pivot, and saying "ok he's going to uair"? Lmao. uair is the fastest aerial....
I don't know but I've been successful incorporating into my game within all the other aerials Ganon has. It creates doubts in people's mind then they won't know where to go. If I get only 1 hit reversed then I usually am able to get a follow-up right after. They also almost always land on the platform after Nair from 0 which is extremely good as well. All I really know is that no one has perfect DI in this game so you can absolutely abuse these DI traps instead of knowing exactly how to DI Ganon's moves.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The only things that create doubts in peoples' minds are clever mixups. If you nair all the time, people will learn how to deal with it (at least in FLORIDA!) Lol.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
summoning @ L Linguini and @spider_sense. let's discuss the merits of FD as a counterpick against falco and fox plz. @ Divinokage Divinokage and @ Bizzarro Flame Bizzarro Flame also share your opinions plz.
I'm only going to talk about Falco. I think this stage isn't as bad against Falco as Ganon mains make it out to be. A lot of Falco's combos are reliant on platforms as well as Ganon combos. I believe that Ganon capitalizes harder on such a stage because each of his moves do massive amount of damage anyways. As long as you know how to powershield and jump over lasers, you should be safe against Falco's linear approach. Edgeguarding should be simple because of the lack of platforms for Falco. As Ganon, you should definitely utilize wavelands and wavedashes out of shield for full mobility against a like-wise slow char of Falco.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
dave you should respond to my fd post
Most people don't like FD as Ganon, I don't mind it. I'll go FD against most floaties, depending (puff, samus, marios, sometimes marth, etc). You always want to think about why you lost the last match when counterpicking, and take into account your habits/strengths/weaknesses as well as your opponents' (not just his character). You may want to go there just because your opponent is using platforms to his advantage better than you are presently, for example. FD provides tons of room to space your attacks and bait approaches, which can often help you set the pace of the neutral game (Ganon very rarely has this ability). Platforms generally help Ganon but he doesn't need them to be successful imho (and in some cases they make Ganon straight combo food). Every Ganon's ground game is lacking basically. Tilts, jabs, SHFF wavelands, intelligent dash dancing, and techchasing become more important on FD. The chaingrab obviously has no limits also. It's a different game there... once you get a firm grip on what the stage provides you'll know when it can be an asset.
That is my general opinion basically. But I do believe this: against fox, and especially falco, the way you and jason (and emilio the pioneer) fight falco works well on FD (not saying FD is "good" vs fox). Being in falco's face, using well timed jabs and careful tilts. heavy grab game. heavy techchase game. The best techchaser will love FD. The worst one (or someone that cant get grabs) will hate it.

It took the community a long time as a whole to see that ganon vs falco on YS isn't great for ganon. Sure, YS is great for Ganon, but it's better for falco. Platforms are great for ganon, but they're great for fox and falco too. Once falco is at 70% (fox 90%) on FD a grab should be certain death.

People need to play on it more. In general I'd say FD is better than FoD/PS for fox/falco FoD wouldn't be so bad if techchasing with fair was possible more often, and PS is only ****ty because of transformations.

edit: Well said Mr Yoon.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
finally started to SDI shines today, feels good. also, should i be rolling away from pressure with c-stick? my friend brought up something about that today but it slipped my mind.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
I really like FD in zoning match ups ; Ganondorf, Marth, Jiggs ect

I hate FD against fast fallers ; Falcon, Fox, Falco ect.

Linguini

Smash Master
Merits? It's really dependent on your playstyle. If you're all about guaranteed setups and techasing like dave said you will like it. It's not particularly good for ganon. I actually prefer stadium over fd against fox. Because I love those platform heights for quick waveland approaches. Ganon can corner falco much easier than fox. That's just how it is. And I don't want to see anymore ganons getting hit by full jump nairs...uair that ****!

Top Bottom