• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to r*** with sheik - some tips

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
1. mix up double jab -> grab and double jab -> dtilt. double jab to grab works on pretty much everyone unless they do something like SDI the 2nd jab and then use a 2-frame nair or something. peach and mk get out sometimes. but if they choose to attack instead of shield after the 2nd jab, a dtilt will hit them. if they block the dtilt, you are spaced so that they can't punish

2. fast fall nairs and sweetspot bairs are legit shield pressure. against characters with slow grabs like olimar and tlink, if you fast fall a nair on their shield perfectly and jab after the landing lag, they can't grab you. the only reason i do this is because nairs seem to reach a little farther than fairs, not only that but autocancel fairs can be shield grabbed if u don't space it right and that's an easy mistake to make with sheik. another point is that (kinda like with melee falco's shield pressure mixup with dair/nair) people memorize the hitstun and lag between autocanceled fair and jabs, so ppl shield grab anyway.

fast fall sweetspot bairs are amazing cuz people cant do anything against it. i usually don't rar these... i usually only turn around if i am already standing in front of someone and do it.

3. when in doubt, roll and needles. sometimes if ur approaches are failing, especially against s-tier characters, u have to take a little time to feel them out. the best way to do this is roll around patiently charging needles and then shoot fully charged ones whenever they touch the ground. it creates a wall for THEM to overcome (especially snake) and it usually makes them resort to aerial approaches. this gives sheik an advantage in the ground game no matter what character you're facing, except maybe rob and olimar. most s-tier characters however don't have any projectiles better than sheik. oh, and don't roll behind people of course. always roll away and only when it's safe

4. use c-stick down to dash attack. i just recently incorporated this as a punishment tool and it's just amazing. you can punish stuff like g&w's smash attacks or even metaknight's fsmash (sometimes... if he doesn't block right away i think.) learn what it punishes and what it doesn't punish. for example just cuz u have a fast attack doesnt mean u can punish snake's spaced ftilt lol, no one can.

the reason u should use cstick is cuz if u try to use A to dash attack, u will stutter step fsmash if u press A too soon. i use c-stick down for pretty much all my dash attacks now. 6 framez people, that's incredibly fast and very high range

5. if you play ic's or ddd, you know how amazing pivot grabs are. sheik's pivot grab is not as good as theirs but still decent. when in doubt against metaknight, just spam pivot grabs and hope that he will run into it with a dash attack or tornado. this is when you're not spaced well to charge needles safely. if u pivot grab, either he runs into it and gets grabbed, or he doesn't follow you and now you're in a good position to charge needles.

6. i mention this a lot but no one seems to get it. autocancel uairs are AMAZING. they are sheik's #1 option for people above her. it forces air dodges and sometimes even gets killed. it's legit pressure beneath people on platforms (though on battlefield, fair is better) but yeah. use it. just watch out for ppl with amazing aerials like rob's nair or gw's dair or something.

ftilt to autocancel uair is a good combo :)

that's it

reason i'm posting this stuff is cuz it's all completely normal stuff to see in my playstyle now and i impress most people with my sheik when i play them. for those of you questioning how to expand the metagame with sheik since we supposedly know 'everything' about her, there is still room for innovation people. i know Light is very good about that. so ppl step it up! stop digging for new special abilities that sheik has and just focus on tactical stuff.

this type of stuff makes matchups like G&W even and metaknight almost even. i only have trouble with really campy stuff now, like rob/lucario/olimar, which i will soon be able to adapt to. for ic's/pika i just pick zelda, zelda *****

question: i'm starting to use chain a little bit more... um, is there a way to stop mk's glide attack with the chain? mk's are using that to counter my chain and i'm wondering if there is a certain angle you can wiggle to stop it. i'm asking because his glide attack is so reliable that i'm beginning to refrain from using the chain completely, but i don't wanna count it out just yet.

tl;dr summary:

HOW TO **** WITH SHEIK EVEN MORE:

1. DOUBLE JAB -> GRAB/DTILT MIXUP
2. FAST FALL NAIRS/BAIRS AS SHIELD PRESSURE (not autocanceled)
3. ROLL AND NEEDLES ALL DAI
4. C-STICK DOWN TO DASH ATTACK
5. PIVOT GRAB ALL DAI
6. AUTOCANCEL UAIR

oh, and if you are not doing this already:

7. RUN AWAY -> B-REVERSE FULLY CHARGED NEEDLES

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Edit: by the way, good thread there's a lot of good advice in there chok

Glide attack can be hard to stop as it requires you to expend the chain usually to it's full length to counter but the chain does out range it.

Pull the chain back behind sheik and then once he's in range of the chain or just about to be lunge it towards meta knight the momentum it gets will extend it fully. Once out don't wiggle the chain at all so the fully extend hit box will be out longer because even when falling the chain still has a pretty active hit box.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Impressive, you just spoiled some of what I thought were my ideas. -_-

I agree with auto canceled Uair.
It also *true* combos into U-tilt at low percents.
So basically I just gave away my f-tilt set up that I was saving for myself. -_-
d-tilt> d-tilt> Uair> u-tilt> f-tilt, Fair, grab

Also this is epic:
jab> jab> f-throw> AC Uair> (they air dodge)> regrab
That is pretty legit at low percents when knock back is like nothing.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really need to start using more up airs in my game. At the last tournament I went to, I used it like.... two up airs the whole day? O.o

Good stuff Chok. This should be added in the Sheik Catalog thread.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes savior ur right. autocancel uair is a good followup to throws. VERY good. if they air dodge it's like a guaranteed frame trap.

yes sheik's uair is a great move :D just only use it in the right situation cuz it has to be spaced well. directly vertical

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
rolling is good. even DDD players have to roll sometimes.

rolling away from a character is completely legit. most characters cannot punish your roll if you roll away and they're not close enough. the most basic of spacing tools

rolling towards someone is stupid

saviorslegacy

Yes, the only good thing Sheik's roll can do is retreat since it is bloddy fast.
I would much rather Boost Walk backwards (unless I'm running) and keep all of my options.

saviorslegacy

lol...

>: (

NEEDLES!
*better options

If they roll behind you you would be a ****** not to Chain. Rolling behind Sheik= reverse chain lock set up
If they are dumb enough to shield then we get a shield break. At BF if they get a shield break at 90% I know how to set up a garunteed KO (SL's secret that Neo stole......).

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
that only works on horrible rolls. and no one good has roll so bad that it can be punished on reaction with chain. NO ONE

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
OH! I wanted to say this frame 1 and frame 2 jabs can get out of jab->short->grab pretty well at early percents. shield willl power shield dtilt and ftilt and stuff at these percents as well.

By early I mean like below 60. It's a good set up on lame characters like D3 and snake meta.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm thanks

yeah, there are ways to get out of double jab -> stuff, it's just very hard to react to so i almost always nail it anyway. i've seen lvl 9 cpu react to my double jab -> grab with nair, stuff like that.

but as far as real people, i am always going to follow up the double jab anyway, since i think attacking with grab or dtilt is a better option that running away

i also mix in double jab -> needles sometimes

and guys lol i punish rolling behind me with ftilt, grab, dsmash, or usmash if i react fast enough

to each his own

(usually ftilt cuz it's meaty)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I saw **** in the title and KNEW you made it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Chok is a beast. Always coming up with good shiz. I taught myself to never roll when the game first came out.....i've noticed that it's a big missing part of my game.

Most of this other stuff is common stuff that i've used for a while, but it's always good to reinforce it.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Chok is a beast. Always coming up with good shiz. I taught myself to never roll when the game first came out.....i've noticed that it's a big missing part of my game.

Most of this other stuff is common stuff that i've used for a while, but it's always good to reinforce it.
Actually, its a good thing that you didn't. Learning to roll from not rolling is a lot easier than breaking the habit of rolling to not rolling. Trust me, I know :(

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
How Are You People Dodging The 10characters Rule!?!?!??!?!
add some spacebars son

yeah, im sure people knew about most of these already. gotta always take in every little thing that can make sheik better :D

my use of aerials and tilts is clever too but i can't really put it into words... just gotta wait for vids of me : D im getting a lot better lately

however

the next videos any of u will see of me is probably of my melee ic's LOL cuz i got a tournament coming up next week

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you're sheik.

chok is brilliant listen to him please.

try to apply his dacus rules for snake more liberally too everyone.

Also I challange his recovery ALL DAY! if he is off stage... thats important to note. when he is coming from about you still don't have much to fear as long as you know your hit boxes he should never really get you from a recovery situation with aerials. That means you can pretty much always force a reaction. though you may not always be able to punish that.

Hmm... try experimenting with b reversed needles where recovering high to quickly change up momentum. We can cancel our needles too so thats beast and still pretty safe. (plus you probabllt get bair instead of fair :) )

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
here are some matchup tips!

snake:
hes really hard cuz everything is exploding all over the place, and even though u wanna approach him he can react with ftilts, grabs, pivot grabs, whatever. this is what u can do to alleviate the stress

- sorta keep a mid/long range spacing where ur not gonna be hit by tilts, but u can punish him with a grab if he tilts or something. it is difficult to react to snakes dacus at this range, but if u do happen to see it, it's very punishable

- when at a long distance, keep charging needles and know when to throw back nades or when to simply dodge them. only reason snakes throw nades is not necessarily to blow u up, but to force u into a position where snake is gonna ****. by throwing a lot of needles, it'll mess up the rhythm of his nade throwing and usually score u free damage. this can keep u ahead.

- good thing we have a good dash grab and can use it almost as well as mk! if he pulls out a nade, that is ur main time to run up and grab him, cuz he has a certain amount of time where he can only either throw the nade or shield

- if he cooks nades just throw needlez lol it'll **** him

- dont be too hasty with dash attacks or dacus. there are perfect times to use them but u really have to watch for them instead of just doing them wishfully. snakes way too powerful to take random risks that u THINK will work. hard habit to get out of but u gotta be patient

- sh nairs in his face are amazing. they'll either hit him in the face or hit his shield in which u can strafe away. keeping a hitbox out for a while that is NOT gonna get punished by a nade is a very good idea, kinda like lucarios fsmash in front of snake. theres just nothing he can do, and this is one of sheiks few options that forces snake into a defensive position

- i hate trying to challenge his recovery cuz he has so many tricksies like b reverse grenades, short nikitas, falling c4, powerful areas, etc. sheik's best position is on the ground, so if possible just try to punish his landing with shield grab or needles. snakes will definitely cover all options in their recovery so its best just to wait for something guaranteed. SOMETIMES u can force out an air dodge with fair or bair... but meh, he'll usually just land before u closer to the middle of the stage where snake is in the best position

- chain is actually good at certain times lol, outranges his tilts. its something to do for free damage if ur near him and he has high percent :p retract it quickly though, snake can get through it with dash attack/dacus.

i might copy paste this into the matchup thread even though its on lucario right now lol

i learn a LOT from playing good players, even for just a few matches :D

Aibou

Smash Master
*new person sticks his head in*

I just read this thread for the first time and I saw some real good advice. Though I had a question on the double jab --> d-tilt combo. Do you think that, after executing it, it's possible to follow up with an f-tilt at early percents? Or would the opponent have been able to DI too far away for that?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
aibou: double jab dtilt is not a guaranteed combo, but the point of it is that the dtilt is usually spaced well after a double jab and pushes the shield back just enough so that most character can't shield grab. and since it's a mixup from double jab grab, sometimes people just try to jump or attack out of it, which dtilt punishes.

double jab ftilt can be done if someone just tries to attack you out of the double jab but you can be punished hard

Aibou

Smash Master
aibou: double jab dtilt is not a guaranteed combo, but the point of it is that the dtilt is usually spaced well after a double jab and pushes the shield back just enough so that most character can't shield grab. and since it's a mixup from double jab grab, sometimes people just try to jump or attack out of it, which dtilt punishes.

double jab ftilt can be done if someone just tries to attack you out of the double jab but you can be punished hard
Makes sense. I have to keep in mind that there aren't many combos in Brawl.

And I tend to stay away from the double jab --> f-tilt. I know how punishable it is if shielded. Though like you said, the opponent might just try to attack out of it, but I'd rather not take that kind of a risk. It's rewarding if successful, but far too risky.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah, agreed

i also like double jab -> run away to very fast b-reversed charged needles hehe

just dont accidentally chain!

but even then, in that position the chain could be good lol

Aibou

Smash Master
yeah, agreed

i also like double jab -> run away to very fast b-reversed charged needles hehe

just dont accidentally chain!

but even then, in that position the chain could be good lol
B-reversed needles is something I need to practice on. I've attempted it in Practice Mode but I usually Chain by mistake. Though I do think that Chain is pretty useful. It's priority sometimes surprises me. But the startup when she whips it out and the cooldown when she retracts it sort of decrease the attractiveness of the move.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the easiest way to practice it is trying to do b-reversed grenade pulls in the air

its a very good thing to do with snake anyway

same timing for sheik, its just on the ground while running

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I slowly slide the controller toward the opposite direction I'm running in. when I get to the middle I hit B. It is a little more consistent that letting go of the control stick completely and then turning. I always roll when I do that.

Top Bottom