• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Play Marth in 2v2

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Time to get some discussion in here. What are good Marth stages for teams. My partner is Jiggs and I've got a general idea what neutral stages are good for the team, but I'd like to get more creative in counter picking. So far our best counter pick is Brinstar, but I'm having second thoughts about that since it's hard for me to kill at low percents there, and they live to the point where I can't combo into kill moves. Any suggestions?

Randizzle

Smash Ace
I personally like larger stages for teams with marth simply because it gives me more room to actually do stuff without worrying about my teammate as much.

I need to play more teams with Marth. I currently play mostly sheik and fox for teams, but working on switching to marth. Gotta get some team vids...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Bluedeath: Marth has some cheap stuff that he can do with a partner.

We all know that when someone lands on a platform when they are fighting Marth, they don't want to get tippered. But in team's Marth's partner can completely screw up a good opportunity to get an easy kill with a tipper f-smash when they are on the platform as well.

But what if your partner actually works with you while they are on the platform so you can get a tipper?

Let's look at Peach and her d-throw. When she d-throws an opponent they are stuck on the ground for about 2 seconds while she leaps into the air. Marth can easily throw out an f-smash and no harm will befall Peach. Fox and Falco also have d-throws where their bodies aren't touching the ground when they throw an opponent. As long as Marth times his f-smash correctly, he can get an easy hit without harming his partner.

Alternatively, if both Marth and his partner are below the platform and thier opponent is just above them, then they can do some mindgaming. If he's sitting in a shield then Marth's partner can just jump and waveland onto the platform and then grab combo. Because their opponent was concentrating on Marth and sitting in thier shield, it made them grab bait for Marth's partner.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Her hand can still be hit though I believe. I'll have to test it more.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I just forward smash in teams. Watch Newlyweds vs KDJ and me on VoD. My entire first stock the first match is spent forward smashing and tippering them.

I just forward smash in teams. Watch Newlyweds vs KDJ and me on VoD. My entire first stock the first match is spent forward smashing and tippering them.
Very true,lol.

In most of the team matches I play in friendlies,I just:

-Shield Grab
-F-smash
-F-throw>F-smash or D-tilt
-U-tilt
-Grab>Chase>Whatever

I mostly just use the F-smash though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Which is fine on big stages, you have good spacing and when you have a partner that knows when to gtfo of the way.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Psst...

Up throw your opponents into your Peach partner's down smash for like 60%

Just FYI.

pr4n4y

Smash Cadet
Anytips to KOing Ganon other than simple Dspike (which is the only way I can seem to kill him under120%)

In 2v2 of course, when theres a **** Shiek as his partner screwing you over at the same time :p

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I read the general tips, and they match pretty well with my Marth-in-teams experience. And yeah, people do get in Marth's way way too much :dizzy:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Try using a quicker edgeguard like a d-tilt or a ledgehopped Bair. Also try more edgeguards from on the ledge rather than on the stage if the other person's partner is too close. Just make sure you're partner is able to secure the ledge for you so you can recover after edgeguarding.

Also, Bump to top.

GofG

Smash Champion
lol@first reply. Yes, the post obviously has too much information, and therefore is less useful than if it hadn't had so much information.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Marth ledgehogging and a sheik grabbing an opponent combo. Sheik Fthrow to Marth ledgehop dair, thanks Kdj and Marcus for being amazing.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i totally agree with ur last paragraph, about its A LOT better if ur partner knows how to play marth. that way they kno where abouts to give room and stuff. seriously, i hate it, cause i always have to hold back the fsmash cause they suddenly run in, or they get tipper'd by it on the other side.

and double fox is probably one of the best dual char team. :D

AS Money

Smash Lord
^My stratigy exacly

i always wonder why everyone tells me to play my sheik on teams

AzureKiteSky

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm a Marth player, and in 2on2s, my Sheik friend and I usually do pretty well::

Me [KITE]: use A attacks to raise percentage quickly and hurl opponents into the air.

He [VAHN]: Juggle repeatedly while fastfalling to maximize damage and knockout.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
2v2 Question

What is your take on double Marth? I think this would be an interesting team and would like to try it. I was looking through the vids and noticed that there weren't any of double Marth.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Bad idea, too much clanking issues and they don't compliment each other..would be hard to use effectively considering other team combinations just generally work better.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
What blue said. You want a partner to cover your weaknesses generally.

That said, double anything is beat by having a partner as someone else.

AzureKiteSky

Smash Cadet
My suggestion, for use with marth i recommend characters with movests like fox, falco, and sheik. (quick juggling is extremely useful when marth can send opponent into the air from just about any percentage.)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You post the most obvious broadest most general advice evar.

And you repeat alot of general knowledge too.

>_>

AzureKiteSky

Smash Cadet
Ah, another thing i can answer. (This time without being general.)

Ok, first thing that you should remember is even though Marth is an excellent edge guarder and Gannon is good at intercepting, do not have them doing them at the same time (It's easy to let it happen, trust me.)

Also, Keeping Gannon in the center of the arena is suprisingly safer than you would think. knowing this, a strategy that I use constantly is to have Marth (Me) stay mobile towards the edges of the arena, and using his superior jump height, range and reach, keep airbourne enemys flying back towards Gannon.

EX:: Gannon: *Foreward Smashes low-percentage enemy towards the edge of the stage* Marth: *Sweeps in from the edge of the arena and uses arial+foreward A to propel the enemy back to Gannon*

The main Idea is to not let gannon's high-powered strikes to stop you from keeping on top of your opponent.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
EX:: Gannon: *Foreward Smashes low-percentage enemy towards the edge of the stage* Marth: *Sweeps in from the edge of the arena and uses arial+foreward A to propel the enemy back to Gannon*
Might want to work on knowing proper moves. Ganon's Fsmash is a vertical ko move. Also I know this is an example, but even then I don't think Ganon's Fsmash is even appropriate in an example. Any version of a Ganon bair or fair is better, Ganon's Fsmash isn't a easily used move. I don't know why I wanted to disprove this so much, I just did :(.

Ganon and Marth is fine. Try to keep away from each other. Try to have Ganon go for the higher percentage opponent while Marth works to keep the pressure on. This is actually sort of a reverse tactic than usual, Ganon does much better camping here while Marth is the more combo and pressure character.

Top Bottom