• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to make sheik/zelda a balanced character in brawl

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sheik today was one of the biggest announcemets on Dojo as it confirmed a character with much publicity for and against... I shall refer to sheik only as sheik because using gender specific pronouns to refer to sheik only leads to confusion. :psycho:

Brief Overview:
Anyway, OoT (Ocarina of Time) is widely regarded as one of the best games ever, in any category for any system. It is from this game that sheik hails as Zelda's alter ego (used to hide from Ganondorf, the game's primary antagonist). The fact that sheik is a male persona with a male body and garb, but female thoughts and emotions that it is ambiguous to refer to sheik as he or she... But I digress.
Recently, TP (Twighlight Princess) has begun to climb the ranks hoping to overtake OoT's title as best zelda game, and possibly best game. Due to sheik's absence in this game, and zelda's prominance as one-tough-broad, many were hoping that sheik would be removed or separated from zelda to help the more important character steal brawl's limelight... Regardless of the reasoning given, the heart of this issue seems to be that sheik was just too good in melee, and zelda was not. The character design was meant to be optimized when zelda and sheik were used, strategically, in tandem by transforming at opportune times. Zelda was supposed to be the heavy hitter, and sheik the fragile attack artist. Sheik was supposed to rack up opponent's damage, and zelda was supposed t move in for the KO. Unfortunately, it turned out that Zelda's bes move was "transform", which was, at the same time, sheik's worst. There were very few reasons to ever be zelda instead of sheik... ideally this would change and the two would need to be used as one once more.

My opinons on the way sheik is now:
Okay, here's the break down:
Sheik is pretty much what everyone wishes smash characters were. By this I mean that sheik has very few to no obselete moves in sheik's entire moveset. Almost everything is a deadly weapon and almost every move has specific instances where it is the most applicaple, making deep knowledge of the character essential and also VERY bennificial. This is MUCH better than a character with 2 or 3 "go to" moves, as the variety adds some balance and stops matches from becoming stale and predicatable... plus it allows for some customization in attack style.. you can make the character your own with your own combos....
.....there is one problem, however.... sheik, one of the few "complete" characters is only supposed to be half a character. Sheik is supposed to rely on the zelda form to KO an enemy... not the other way around. Zelda is slow, not just in relation to sheik, but to most characters. Her moves are slow for the most part. for KOs zelda is fairly predictable... and while sheik is fragile, zelda is hardly sturdier.

How to make this better
It is my honest opinion that with very minute changes to sheik and some more drastic changes to zelda, th team could become quite balanced and still just as deadly... the only difference would be that it was their combined force, not sheik's alone that makes it so.

Changes to sheik
1) Don't change a single attack - Sheik is gracefull and lithe... while the properties of some attacks should change, their wonderful animations should not.
2) Nerf her aerials - yeah, you heard me "nerf." If sheik is not supposed to be able to end enemies lives so easily, then perhaps not every aerial shpuld have awesome potential for a KO. Sheik's "hatchet" forward air sends enemies off at a scary enough angle and it's fast.. it doesn't need to be so strong. The other aerials all seem fine alone... but to have so many great aerials on one character is a bit too much... nerfing some or all of the remaining aerials would bring some more balence to this character.
3) No chain throw- a chain throw is a cheap way to get lots of damage on a character, they already unchained sheik's Down throw on the PAL version, so it's likely that it won't re-apear
4) give sheik a reason to turn into zelda- once sheik has taken some damage, it would be nice if zelda were noticeably sturdier and therefore was a better survival option... whether that means increasing Zelda's durability, decreasing sheik's or both.
5) Fast falling - what kind of ninja wouldn't fast fall? it makes her a bit more deadly to make up for all the negged aerials, but gives her much more trouble recovering compared to zelda... a good tradeoff.

Changes to Zelda
1) lots of killing moves- if zelda is going to be relied on to kill sheik's scraps, it would be wonderful if that consisted of many options. I mean, think about how predictable it would be if someone turned into zelda otherwise... if she had only one good killing attack, then it would be easy to avoid her only attacking option... make her versitile, but keep her fair.
2)please stop getting caught on lips maybe the new super edge-sweet-spotting physics will improve this, but zelda's supposedly awesome teleportation move often ends up embarasing... for heaven' sake stop geting caught under the stage.
3) Lets make you faster true, sheik is supposed to be the faster of the two, that's a given... but zelda is tied with bowser for having the slowest jump, and she is one of the slowest runners... summoning magic takes time and focus, but running and jumping do not... she might not be an acrobat, but she's not a 3000 ppound lizard either... so don't make her as slow as one.
4) no flinching please. one thing that made sheik so much better than zelda in melee was that speed characters could hit heavy characters out of moves before they could hit. And so characters with slow attacks were likely much lower down in terms of playability on a professional level. So, to even it out, brawl gave the big guys flinch-proof frames during big hits. Don't forget that, just because zelda doesn't look like a big guy, she can hit like one (or should be able to at least... she jumps like one anyway)... so wouldn't it be fair for her to get some flinch-proof moves? at least some flinch-proof smashes.
5) Better Aerials please-I suppose this kind of ties in with the first one about more killing moves needing to be present... but, honestly, zelda's up-air and down air suck. I have no idea where zelda was when she was supposed to be picking out her aerial attacks, but apparently she let sheik take all the good ones. When an explosionmlooks as big as it is in her up-air... it should have a hit box befitting of a large explosion... not a fingertip... and when a meteor is as hard to hit with as her down-air... it shouldn't be so abysmally useless... it should be amped up or replaced with a better move... seriously.
6) show us your magic- we know that you are a powerful mage zelda... so why don't you wow us more with your special attacks or your magic imbued standards? Honestly, before melee, you were a sure-win in any cat-fight that had you pitted against peach, but somehow that girly pink one came out MUCH stronger in melee. With a versitile repetior of flashy, powerful and magical moves (I mean, come on, she's a mage... her moves should have more effects to them than they do) I want you to prove that you don't need to turn into a "sheikah boy" to kick animated tail. Anbd make me believe it.

Okay, I'm ready for any coments good or bad about my little littany. You can even suggest what you think should be changed that I didn't mention... just be nice and civil.

P.S. It would be GREAT if somehow this thread could simultaneously exist in both the sheik and the zelda bords... maybe sticky it as a moved thread?

Luthien

Smash Ace
I agree with you on the almost completely. If Nintendo follows through with this, I will be EXTREMELY happy. This is a work of genius.

I think the best point to your idea is the arials. I LOVED it. If Zelda had faster arials, not only would people not have to fair/bair spam, but there would ACTUALLY be better situations for each character.

A suggestion would be to speed up the tranformation time. If transforming is required, it shouldn't leave you opening freakishly long. People would feel far more inclined to switch if the time was lessened, and the pair wouldn't have to worry TOO much regarding dependance on the other.

Anyway, time for nit-picking. I'm not sure about the fast-fall idea. The only reason people tend to switch to Zelda in Melee was for her better recovery. I suppose I would be fine with it, though.

So yeah, I love this thread! Thank you!

Naraku

Smash Cadet
No need for any improvement keep them the same as in melee and its all good.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I agree with you on the almost completely. If Nintendo follows through with this, I will be EXTREMELY happy. This is a work of genius.

I think the best point to your idea is the arials. I LOVED it. If Zelda had faster arials, not only would people not have to fair/bair spam, but there would ACTUALLY be better situations for each character.

A suggestion would be to speed up the tranformation time. If transforming is required, it shouldn't leave you opening freakishly long. People would feel far more inclined to switch if the time was lessened, and the pair wouldn't have to worry TOO much regarding dependance on the other.

Anyway, time for nit-picking. I'm not sure about the fast-fall idea. The only reason people tend to switch to Zelda in Melee was for her better recovery. I suppose I would be fine with it, though.

So yeah, I love this thread! Thank you!
Totally agree with you... word on the street is that Pokemon Trainer gets frames of invulnerablity while switching pokemon. Whether this means that he is just flinch proof, or is literally incapable of being damaged, I am not sure, but the same type of protection should be afforded to sheik/zelda

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
seriously... it's not like we want sheik/zelda to be godly, we just want them to be more equal

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think all those ideas are good, though I'm not sure if all of them would be needed to fix things. Hopefully with the amount of time they've had to play test her before announcing that she's back will be worth the wait. Freaking not even having her playable at E for All...

Drake3

Smash Ace
Agreed entirely. I don't mind having Sheik be the fast, damage dealing, stealth master, but I want Zelda to appear and blow everything sky high when she arrives.

RiptheReaper

Smash Apprentice
It will be nice to use sheik in combination with Zelda(more mastery needed) and yeah they gotta nerfed those aerials really especially GodHand(fair) im saying this and i main sheik lol cause i think the more balanced the roster the tournament will be more interesting(instead of always fighthing Marth,Sheik,Fox and Peach). ;)

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
It will be nice to use sheik in combination with Zelda(more mastery needed) i yeah they gotta nerfed those aerials really especially GodHand(fair) im saying this and i main sheik lol cause i think the more balanced the roster the tournament will be more interesting(instead of always fighthing Marths,Sheiks,Foxs and Peachs). thumbs up
Thats what I'm hoping for. Making Sheik more balanced should make those who complain stop.

Iris

Smash Ace
I agree with the OP word for word, and that would be the most ideal result possible.

Just because Sheik's great at some things doesn't mean Zelda has to be the worst at them. I suggest Sakurai goes on a long journey to find some middle ground.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna have to agree with what this is all about. Although i really think that to accentuate the need to switch between the two, sheik should have NO good KO moves at all. The idea of Zelda being the KO machine is completely ruined when sheik has the stupidly overpowered fair. Sheik needs to have nothing in the way of KO ability, except at damages approaching like 300%
This would make NOT switching completely not worth the time or effort.

happyhibisci

Smash Rookie
I don't know...
I agree with most of what you say. And if all those changes are made, then people could use the Zelda/Sheik combination in the way they were intended to be played.

But if Sheik was nerfed, and Zelda was buffed, people would play as Zelda, and never use Sheik :)

To be honest, I like some of Zelda's moves. And her Up-air is really good. I like it. I use it. I blow stuff up.

Iris

Smash Ace
Sheik would still be played for her appearance. Still, Zelda should be the star anyways, so if they wind up unequal, Zelda should be the better one.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Sheik also needs her dashA nerfed. The speed, range, and spamability of that move are all over nine-thousand.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Excellent, very well thought out! I'm a Sheik main myself, but I always wanted to use both of them combined, in a strategic way. It was too bad Sheik completely overshadowed Zelda in Melee, so here's hoping that'll change in Brawl (and not change into the opposite either LOL).

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll do my best to make a relevant example of what I'm looking for in Zelda and Sheik.

The Male and Female Wireframes in Melee actually achieved a great sense of synergy that Zelda and Sheik completely lacked. I speak from my experience as playing as these two in 2v1s (the 2 wireframes vs. a normal character) without the enormous handicap they get in Multi-Man Melee.

The general mobility of the two Wireframes were almost identical with a slight edge to the Male. -I'm not saying that Zelda and Sheik have to have the same level of mobility, but the gap between them should be much closer than it is now.
The Male in general had more efficient attacks and had more aerial KO power than the Female. He also had monstrous chain throws against any non-floaty.
The Female had several nasty ground based juggles vs. fast fallers, and much greater KO power than the Male on the ground.

When these two are teamed up together by smart players, they complimented each other almost perfectly, while neither one was excessively better than the other, enough to both be near equal stand-alone characters in given situations. If these two were normally playable, and could switch out for one another as Zelda and Sheik were able to, the synergy we were looking for in Zelda in Sheik would be highly obvious in the Male and Female Wireframes.

How they managed to get the Male/Female Wireframe complimentation near perfect and the Zelda/Sheik one among the most infamous flaws of Melee, I would never be able to make sense of. The Wireframes are still the garbage tier of Melee btw, so don't get too excited about them. I just found them extremely satisfying to play in a team because of how they have to work to do the best they can.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Im gonna have to agree with what this is all about. Although i really think that to accentuate the need to switch between the two, sheik should have NO good KO moves at all. The idea of Zelda being the KO machine is completely ruined when sheik has the stupidly overpowered fair. Sheik needs to have nothing in the way of KO ability, except at damages approaching like 300%
This would make NOT switching completely not worth the time or effort.
I'm not quite sure about that extreme... plenty of people will still want to play just as sheik or just as zelda, so both should be capable of standing alone.... if not as well as most characters.... but should be best when used in tandem.

I'd accept it if both characters were on the lower end of the teir list by themselfs, but the higher end when used as one... it's what would make the most sense (of course, ideally, there would be no teirs and all characters would be equal, but this is an ideallistic dream)

edit: 1,000 post ^_^

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
didnt read all of the second page so sry in advance :D

i´d say nerf sheik in some fields, so she has weak points, buff zelda in said fields, improve zeldas recovery, and FASTEN UP THE TRANSFORMATION....
I mean for god sake... if you have 40 % vs a Fox and transform you´ll be dead O.o

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Shiek

I agree, Nerf the Aerials.
Also Nerf The Downsmash. It's almost as broken as Shieks.
Also Nerf Needles. Damage needs to be down. They should do up to 12(not 15 every time) averaging 7-8 dmage on a full charge. They shouldn't stop EVERY Projectile in the game. And they shouldn't be a godly ledgeguard, lower the stun and make the knockback verticle.
Buff The Chain less lag so It's not an insta-accidental suicide.
Zelda
Give her some grab combo's. Grab to Kick. That way Shiek does the damage, Zelda gets a Grab and Ko's.
Speed up her movement.
Help Her recovery
Buff her aerials and smashes.
Give her more range/priority. She uses Magic, Magic is powerful, a bit slow, and RANGED.
Her side smash to be like the length of Marths sword and a jet of fire or something. IE give her Pikachu F-smash like Smashes. Not rainbow arcs and lameness.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Yes, I agree... I completely forgot about that. Sheik's chain is way too lame. it needs to be seriously buffed... like being usable in air and having some nice horizontal knockback.
The needles could also be negged a bit. I like that they cancel out projectiles, but they should probably have less stun

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I like what you did, Sonic the Hedgedawg, but I have a few alterations:

~Sheik~
She needs at least one good ground and aerial finisher, which I think should be her fAir and dSmash OR fSmash (she doesn't need both, I just couldn't decide which one would balance better... I'm thinking fSmash should be the comboer and dSmash should be the killer).

~Zelda~
1) I agree on buffing her aerials, and I think that her dAir, if it's going to remain to have such a small hitbox, should have the same properties as her fAir/bAir which in turn should make it a spike.

2) She needs crazy special attacks. Her fB needs to not have such lag after deciding where it should go, and it should either have a much larger hitbox OR be a killing move. Because really, getting hit by that thing in Melee pretty much means you had absolutely no means of avoiding it, you were retarted, or you were five.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I like what you did, Sonic the Hedgedawg, but I have a few alterations:

~Sheik~
She needs at least one good ground and aerial finisher, which I think should be her fAir and dSmash OR fSmash (she doesn't need both, I just couldn't decide which one would balance better... I'm thinking fSmash should be the comboer and dSmash should be the killer).
if her fair still kills, it shouldn't kill as easily... and her Usmash is really strong, it's just impossible to hit with... in case you forgot about that

but I'm in complete agreement with you about Zelda

The Don

Smash Cadet
def nerf sheik and they need to do alot of buffing with zelda. My friend uses zelda purely for sheik and i dont blame him cuz she is the better of the two but there should be a reason to switch between the two and in melee there just isnt a good reason to use zelda.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sheik's chain is fine the way it is... just no one's bothered to really learn how and when to use it. *poke poke poke* = good 15+ damage from an untouchable range. The only things it really does need is the ability to stop more projectiles and more usefulness when started in the air (where the move is largely punishable).

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
LOL @ the part where you talk about how her up aerial is like a huge explosion but the attack range is as big as a fingertip
actually laughed there cause its so true, garbage attack

yogho

Smash Apprentice
This thread is god. Now what i hope is this: I really really really hope they make sheik so incredible weak thats shes more useable for avoiding and survival, while Zelda is highly buffed so shes very very strong but hard to control.

This makes a good balance.

Why i say this? Well, think about the online modus. I think that i will be fighting sheik 9 out of 10 times online, hell i could even end up 3 sheiks vs me. If they leave sheik untouched this will happen.

Keeping my hopes up.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
if her fair still kills, it shouldn't kill as easily... and her Usmash is really strong, it's just impossible to hit with... in case you forgot about that

but I'm in complete agreement with you about Zelda
No, I still think Sheik's fAir should kill just as easily; no other aerials should kill as good as they used to, though. Her uAir looks more like a combo move, dAir is fine as is, and bAir could be almost the same, save for a bit less knockback.

Also, I'm aware of Sheik's uSmash, I just think it would look better and maybe be more useful as a comboer. Maybe they could give it a sweetspot to be a killer, but otherwise just be a comboer. I picked Sheik's dSmash because it definitely looks like it could mess someone up.

Sheik's chain is fine the way it is... just no one's bothered to really learn how and when to use it. *poke poke poke* = good 15+ damage from an untouchable range. The only things it really does need is the ability to stop more projectiles and more usefulness when started in the air (where the move is largely punishable).
The only problem with Sheik's chain (other than what you pointed out about it being a bad item blocker) is that it doesn't give any real knockback. I like how you can zap people with it, but if you do the move right and connect to an opponent after a full out *wha-crack!* whipping motion, they should get some decent knockback that could give you time to put your whip away. Usually when using a whip, if you're not edgeguarding you end up giving your opponent a good 15-20%, but then you're left open for an attack (if your opponent has any brains in his/her head.)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
2 things.

Sheik's forward air should not "kill just as easily" as it did in Melee. I don't know WHY you think it should, but look at how ridiculously effective of a kill move it is in Melee before continuing further. Sheik's forward aerial the one of the deadliest KO moves in the game, and is the big reason Sheik is so detested in Melee.

The Chain doesn't need any more knockback than it does now, at least at the tipper where you're already well out of anyone's attack range (except maybe Marth). A well timed retraction of the chain (so it hits on the way back) takes care of 90% of your problems (the other 10% being CC'ing). The inner part of the chain though should hit people away from you to the tipper, and not allow people to approach Sheik and punish her while still getting entangled in the thing.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
2 things.

Sheik's forward air should not "kill just as easily" as it did in Melee. I don't know WHY you think it should, but look at how ridiculously effective of a kill move it is in Melee before continuing further. Sheik's forward aerial the one of the deadliest KO moves in the game, and is the big reason Sheik is so detested in Melee.

The Chain doesn't need any more knockback than it does now, at least at the tipper where you're already well out of anyone's attack range (except maybe Marth). A well timed retraction of the chain (so it hits on the way back) takes care of 90% of your problems (the other 10% being CC'ing). The inner part of the chain though should hit people away from you to the tipper, and not allow people to approach Sheik and punish her while still getting entangled in the thing.
agreed... but also I would enjoy it if the chain was a nice anti item/projectile barrier and not a useless move.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
2 things.

Well if Sheik is to be stripped of nearly all killing moves, why shouldn't she have one of the deadliest in her back pocket? And don't forget that characters live relatively more easily then they did in Melee because they're so floaty, so a semi-spike wouldn't do as much damage if done only once, maybe twice in a combo.

Also... yes, I like that whip idea.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Point: Sheik's forward air as it was in Melee should not belong to ANY character in ANY Smash game, least of all a fast character with a million ways to combo into it such as Sheik.

The fact that it's somewhat less effective against floaties means nothing, it devastates them as much as anyone else when edgeguarded by it. And Sheik's edgeguarding was ridiculously good.

Sheik should still have a few not-so-efficient "killing moves" like what Peach has in Melee, but that forward air better be gone forever.

Giving Sheik her forward air in Brawl again wouldn't balance anything, it would just make Zelda obsolete and make Sheik a retardedly powerful character (again).

Top Bottom