• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to further improve my Falco

dragtyson

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm JTN (John The Noob/Jeez, That's Nasty) and I've been playing Falco for quite a while.
I've got a video from my last tournament against Ambrose (a really good smasher from the Canada area) and he's a beast.

I've got another tournament coming up and I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice. I know I mess up my SHDL now and then, and I roll a bit too much (IMO). But hey, what do you expect from a 14 year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfuTs1x7aA
Psst, don't forget to watch in High Quality.

Anyways, tips would be appreciated and some of my other matches will be uploaded by next year on this topic. Thanks!

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
hmmm you have an okay falco, things i noticed:

1. perfect the SHDL and all his laser moves
2. roll less
2. sometimes you were just standing still, as if you were thinking about what to do next. this is unacceptable in a high level match.
3. you have trouble getting the kill, it seemed. it looked like you were frustrated and just started spamming smashes. this is not a good thing. i recommend silent laser->boost smash, or OoS jump canceled usmash, or OoS dsmash, or the occasional fsmash, or bairs. however, keep it unpredictable and make sure he can't punish you if you make a mistake.
4. it seemed you played more frenzied in your last stock, rolled too much, and trying to start a CG too much. you should just keep playing the way you did in your 1st stock, and take the chance to CG if he gives you an opportunity, don't force it
5. if you see him shielding, don't fsmash into it.

work on those things and you can improve your falco.

Denzi

Smash Master
XxBlackxX pretty much covered all of the major points. No matter the opponent's damage, just play it safe like you would normally and keep your eye open for kill moves. Silent laser -> Boost Usmash is great for kills. You did rolldodge a lot. Don't force the CG. Very important. If you want a better chance at getting a grab though, try jab -> grab. You should learn/use the Reverse Boost Pivot Grab and the Gatling combo, they help a ton.

Don't Firebird into the ground; you really shouldn't be using Firebird unless you absolutely have to anyway.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Your biggest problem was that every single time you wanted to move the direction you weren't facing, you rolled. Rolling DOES have a few applications but it's generally a very poor choice. It's too easy to punish. When you're trying to change your spacing, don't roll. Just turn around and walk away. It keeps you unpredictable, gives you more options, and doesn't leave you open to getting punished.

Also, MORE TILTS. Instead of throwing out Fsmashes and Dsmashes right and left, try using Ftilt. It's faster and spaces better. It'll keep your smashes completely fresh, so you won't have as much trouble killing. That was another big problem you had. Once you got Snake over 100, you just started Smashing and hoping to finish him off. If the way you were playing before got him to 100, why would you change it up? Keep playing the same way, but watch for an opening. When he slips up, pounce on it and get the kill.

Utilt is a move people tend to forget about. Use it when he's spotdodging or right behind you. When your spacing goes to hell, Utilt can be a lifesaver.

BsdKid4ever

Smash Cadet
You play a decent Falco, nice perfect chaingrab, btw. But here's a few things that could make you better:

1. Use Dair more.
2. Use Utilt a lot more.
3. Use Nair more.
4. Perfect your lasers.
5. Use Dair more.
6.You DO roll too much.
7. Use Nair more.
8. Perfect your Gatling combo.
9. Use Dair more.
10. Don't rely completely on SHDL, SHL is a good technique, too.
11. Use Nair more.
12. Use AAA combo more.
13. Review 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11.
14. Ensure that you looked at 13.

Any questions?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Lol, what moves did you NOT tell him to use more?

Dair against a grounded opponent can be good, but it can be easily shielded and punished. Don't spam it, just throw one out occasionally and make sure you land behind them if they shield. Nair is great at counter short hopped approaches. When it comes to your aerials, Bair is generally the hardest to punish, and it's very effective.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yeah don't roll too much, I noticed you got punished because you rolled straight into a mine.

Strengthen your laser game. It's one of the reasons why falco is top tier. And at lower percents don't punish with fsmash, because it'll get stale for when you actually do need it to kill. Instead just grab to punish because you can follow up from there to rack up more damage. You just need to play smarter and more consistently to improve.

NotDander

Smash Rookie
I hope this is an open discussion.

In your video at 1:31 or so falco does the forward B and lands in a slide rather than what I remember him landing like. I'm relatively new to the community but I am not new to big communities like this, as I am a pretty good 3rd strike player so I know to look lots of little things like this.

Is it just me, or is that really a different landing? Also excuse my english, I am mexican. I am native to the states, but still mexican.

Daea

Smash Cadet
@ NotDander, what you saw was a canceled phantasm. Falco's phantasm can be canceled at various lengths, and regardless of at what point you do so, you'll end up continuing to move forward if you're in the air, or you'll gain a slight slide if you hit the ground.

RejK

Smash Rookie
just play more brawl. learn the match ups in general and you'll improve your falco. you can learn all the tricks and ATS you want. but most good players just memorize what works and what doesnt in a match and works with it.

Denzi

Smash Master
just play more brawl. learn the match ups in general and you'll improve your falco. you can learn all the tricks and ATS you want. but most good players just memorize what works and what doesnt in a match and works with it.
But he's asking us what we saw that worked and didn't so he can get better faster without necessarily losing a lot first.

Prov1

Smash Rookie
You were way too predictable. I noticed you kept trying to bair as you got desperate near the end. Don't do that, stay calm. Switch up your playing style a bit and stay calm, cuz the snake pretty much predicted what you were gonna do and he took advantage of it.

dragtyson

Smash Rookie
Alright guys, thanks for the tips.I've been practicing for a long time (probably 3-5 hours a day) to get ready for the tournament.

Here's what I've accomplished so far:
-Spacing by just walking
-Stopped rolling so much (finally!)
-Spacing by Ftilts (this is really a lifesaver)
-When spacing fails and as a sneaky two hits Utilt
-Gotten better at lasers, even throwing in a backwards SHL from time to time
-Mixing it up a little by throwing in a IAP here and there
-Staying calm (really hard for me to do)
-Stopped trying to CG so much and just focused on punishing and racking up on damage
-Stopped spamming smashes
-Started using AAA combo more often

I already knew how to do Gatling and Reverse Boost Pivot Grab. The problem was that my Gatling wasn't perfected and Reverse Boost Pivot Grab was a bit too risky for me. As for the jab -> grab combo, I've used that in my previous matches (which aren't up yet) but I just couldn't get it down it the match.

Any further tips are appreciated cause I'm sure I have a long way ahead of me before I can even think about facing SK92 or Sethlon one day. I have another tournament coming up this Saturday and hope that this helps me in the matches. Thanks guys!

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Alright guys, thanks for the tips.I've been practicing for a long time (probably 3-5 hours a day) to get ready for the tournament.

Here's what I've accomplished so far:
-Spacing by just walking
-Stopped rolling so much (finally!)
-Spacing by Ftilts (this is really a lifesaver)
-When spacing fails and as a sneaky two hits Utilt
-Gotten better at lasers, even throwing in a backwards SHL from time to time
-Mixing it up a little by throwing in a IAP here and there
-Staying calm (really hard for me to do)
-Stopped trying to CG so much and just focused on punishing and racking up on damage
-Stopped spamming smashes
-Started using AAA combo more often

I already knew how to do Gatling and Reverse Boost Pivot Grab. The problem was that my Gatling wasn't perfected and Reverse Boost Pivot Grab was a bit too risky for me. As for the jab -> grab combo, I've used that in my previous matches (which aren't up yet) but I just couldn't get it down it the match.

Any further tips are appreciated cause I'm sure I have a long way ahead of me before I can even think about facing SK92 or Sethlon one day. I have another tournament coming up this Saturday and hope that this helps me in the matches. Thanks guys!
well in seems like you fixed everything wrong in the last vid.
so hopefully you'll do better in the tourney and upload more vids. then we can help you improve again.
good luck :)

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Lol, facing Seth or SK92 shouldn't be your goal. Falco dittos are too stupid. Taking down Mew2King should be your goal :)

dragtyson

Smash Rookie
Lol, facing Seth or SK92 shouldn't be your goal. Falco dittos are too stupid. Taking down Mew2King should be your goal :)
Lmao. I've actually been practicing with Diddy as a secondary against MKs since I saw Ninjalink vs. M2K set. It was really epic. I can beat my friend's MK :). Let's just hope M2K will take it down a notch for me.

dragtyson

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, I both lost the tournament and couldn't get any matches recorded. I met some of the big names in Canada like Minus, Pastaboy, Ambrose, etc. though. I'm sure I somehow got better from the experience. So I'll try to get videos from my old tournament up still.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, I both lost the tournament and couldn't get any matches recorded. I met some of the big names in Canada like Minus, Pastaboy, Ambrose, etc. though. I'm sure I somehow got better from the experience. So I'll try to get videos from my old tournament up still.
from what ive seen Minus had a pretty good falco, maybe you can learn from him. if you were in a tourney with those people, it's okay if you lost, because they're pretty skilled. as long as you learned something, eh? :)

Fitty

Smash Cadet
lol smart yunq good tip but i would say mix moves up mindgames are good maybe hiding a smash attack behind a laser.

Top Bottom