• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Edgeguard Every Character as Falcon (Under Construction)

Wogrim

Smash Lord
This thread is all about the best ways to gimp, edgeguard, and edgehog every character's recoveries. Some characters can be gimped easily with a walkoff Knee, while others will wreck you if you try such nonsense.

The best course of action ALWAYS depends on where your opponent is and ALWAYS depends on if their second (and more for some characters) jumps remain, since that can change where they are. For a common notation of where your opponent is for discussing the best ways to gimp each character, please refer to this picture depicting the zones your opponent may be in.

The Zone Diagram:

Zones:
The Zones are slanted such that someone DIing towards the stage will stay in the same zone until they get very close (horizontally) to the ledge. The slope may not be the same for all characters, but the idea is.

>Safe: The opponent is safe in that they can simply DI back onto the stage, which means that they can choose to airdodge or attack if they wish without any worry of grabbing the ledge.
>Grab: Someone in this zone can grab the ledge if you're not on it or attack you if you're on it. Up-B's from this zone generally don't sweetspot the ledge, which means they generally cause a lot of fall time (and then landing lag unless they DI to the ledge).
> Option: This zone is called Option because someone in this zone has the option to up-B to the ledge or straight onto the stage.
> Danger: The Danger Zone is such that they have to grab the ledge to survive
> X: Most characters can't recover from this zone

> Wall: Used for walljumps and wallgrabs; this is particular to FD, but I included it since it's such a common stage
> Under: Under the stage/lip is dangerous for most characters so I gave it a name

Zone Modifiers:
These are independent of the zones but very important

> Early: Even a full-arcing recovery like Falcon's will not be able to grab the ledge on the way up. For recoveries that have somewhat poor horizontal distance (like Ganon or Marth, who go into freefall after the peak of their up-B), they won't hit the ledge until they are in freefall (for Option) or not at all (for Danger). In other words, most people won't up-B from this area if they're going for the ledge.
> Upper Mid: Low-horizontal recoveries will be close but still may not sweetspot, and no-horizontal recoveries like Ike or Kirby are likely to cause suicide.
> Lower Mid: This is the ideal area for most characters to sweetspot the ledge from, so you usually want to do your gimp before they get to this zone (unless you can outprioritize their recovery like with Link), and you can expect most characters to use their up-B from this area.
> Late: Recoveries with a forced horizontal component (can't go straight up) will often get the user stuck under the lip, and even recoveries with very little horizontal component don't need to wait this long. Your opponent most likely won't intentionally recover from this area.

> Above: Anywhere above stage level
> Even: Even with stage level (important for horizontal recoveries)
> Below: Below stage level (you have much better options with the opponent below the stage level)

General Zone Movement:

> Midair jumps: most charaters have a single midair (also known as second or double) jump. For almost all of these characters, this jump moves them up very near 1 Zone. Characters with multiple midair jumps generally move about 1/2 a zone with their midair jump. Note that all midair jumps are a lot less effective if they are done straight up instead of towards the stage
> Up-Bs: these are what the Zones are primarily designed around. Up-Bs for most characters will grant a 2-zone increase
> Side-Bs: some characters have side-Bs that give them a decent horizontal boost. It moves them up one zone when used towards the stage. If they charge it, the extra horizontal distance gained is lost through height because they fall straight down as they charge it, so that part doesn't matter.
> Stalls: Characters like Fox or Mario can stall in midair by removing their momentum. Although they lose vertical momentum, they also lose horizontal momentum, so they don't move much as far as Zones are concerned.
> Attacks and Airdodges: In the Early/Upper/Lower/Late/Under scheme they'll usually go down 2-3 sections. If they are not DIing towards the stage, they'll go down 2 Zones. Some attacks that are really fast may cause less dramatic results. Because of this, there are areas from which attacks and airdodges will guarantee suicide, which makes recoveries from lower zones to be very predictable and gimpable.

Gimps and stuff:
This section will include all the stuff like walkoff knees and all that good stuff, mostly regarding which areas each one covers (it will use a modified version of the Zone Diagram)

Setups:
This will be a section regarding the trajectories of moves that knock an opponent offstage (this will also have a separate modified version of the Zone Diagram)

Character-Specific:
This section will have advice for each character based on what zone they're in, since not all the gimps will work on all the characters

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
hmmmmm..........

nice thread..........perhaps a "Annoying moves" section can be put in here, to help people get around top-tier moves?

i think Failco's illusion can be stopped by the jab and in his landing lag you can Fsmash him. I know that Marth can do this.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
hmmmmm..........

nice thread..........perhaps a "Annoying moves" section can be put in here, to help people get around top-tier moves?

i think Failco's illusion can be stopped by the jab and in his landing lag you can Fsmash him. I know that Marth can do this.
Don't worry, all recovery options will be taken into account.

Specifically for Falco, I've had mixed results with trying to jab him. I've hit him and been hit. Not sure if its a timing or a spacing thing.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
Don't worry, all recovery options will be taken into account.

Specifically for Falco, I've had mixed results with trying to jab him. I've hit him and been hit. Not sure if its a timing or a spacing thing.
im pretty sure its a spacing thing, if falco is too close you'll get hit, if hes far or mid range he'll get hit

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Good thread ^_^

I can imagine what MK's section would look like:

How to edgeguard MK:metaknight: as falcon:falcon:

..don't

:(
^_^

Player-3

Smash Hero
lol, or pull a Reflex and spike him out of his up-B.

Psst.

We play with items off.

:093:
Psst. A controller is like peachs turnips or diddys bannanas, you brought it with you so it doesnt count

:093:

wait...

sonic memes?
OH SHI-

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
This thread definatedly has potential. I love to learn to gimp Kirby. He's the only gimpable character (f*%k you Metaknight!) that I cannot gimp consistently. And so far, this thread is entirely full of win. May controller bashing your opponent continue for many moons.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Raptor Boost is actually useful once in a while.

>_>

It's also starkly underused, so most people don't even think about what'd happen if they tried to 'tip' their edgeguard but you stop your momentum and counter-kill with RB.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Raptor Boost is actually useful once in a while.

>_>

It's also starkly underused, so most people don't even think about what'd happen if they tried to 'tip' their edgeguard but you stop your momentum and counter-kill with RB.
I do Raptor boost more often if they try to hit me at the top of their jump, because then I go over them and Raptor Boost the top of them.

Please stop bumping this thread though until I actually get the good stuff in.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
guys MK isn't too hard, I honestly find G&W harder

I just made a AiB account and after the first lulz match with my buddy I played a MK.........the lag was tremendous but i 2 stocked every time >_>

man I hate online.........*goes to play melee*

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure it's not advisable to ever try and hit mk offstage with falcon. It seems like a world of hurt every time I try it. What do you suggest? uair seems to get beaten by dair... and mk can always shuttle loop or drill to get back on safely.

You can get away with quite a bit online against mk >_> Didn't Ally win season 1 with falcon?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
So. I hurd this wuld be updates someday.

If you need help I can help you.

Running off the stage and b-reversing a Raptor Boost. -Works-, it spikes some characters before they manage to grab the edge, and even if you miss, you're safe.

Edgeguarding options:

a) Don't even try. Just punish them while they are on the ledge (easier done then said if you know what you're doing)

b)Backhit (or weak hit w/e) up airs

c)Flubbed Knee's

d)Weak hit B air

e)Dair spike....lol

f)falcon kick, from stage, only against certain recoveries. It actually works...

g)FALCON PUNCH.....if you actually hit, your opponent dies or quits. /this is a joke

h)Well timed UTILT. Utilt is godlike.

______ That's really it for edgeguarding moves... the rest is knowing which to do in what situation, and against which characters.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
So. I hurd this wuld be updates someday.

If you need help I can help you.

Running off the stage and b-reversing a Raptor Boost. -Works-, it spikes some characters before they manage to grab the edge, and even if you miss, you're safe.

Edgeguarding options:

a) Don't even try. Just punish them while they are on the ledge (easier done then said if you know what you're doing)

b)Backhit (or weak hit w/e) up airs

c)Flubbed Knee's

d)Weak hit B air

e)Dair spike....lol

f)falcon kick, from stage, only against certain recoveries. It actually works...

g)FALCON PUNCH.....if you actually hit, your opponent dies or quits. /this is a joke

h)Well timed UTILT. Utilt is godlike.

______ That's really it for edgeguarding moves... the rest is knowing which to do in what situation, and against which characters.
except when they grab the edge before you do..

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I don't need help except for testing what works against certain recoveries. I'll post those later. I'm about to put up the diagram I've been working on. I was gonna have a screenshot but couldn't get one with enough of the screen showing. This may be better anyways.

SuSa

if you dont mean what I thought you meant, then it is even a less good idea..
but you already know why amirite
;)
I'm saying against certain recoveries. It spikes them before they sweetspot the edge, and whether you miss or hit, you don't get hit by your opponent. Before they can react from the ledge, and get to you from how far you slid away, your end lag is all gone.

Please, do tell me how it's even worse then what you thought it was? Enlighten me in the ways of, a free strong spike that they can't avoid is bad.

I've spiked Marth's, Link's, Meta Knights, Snake's, and others I can't remember.... because they didn't sweetspot the ledge, and ate a Raptor Boost to the face.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
I'm saying against certain recoveries. It spikes them before they sweetspot the edge, and whether you miss or hit, you don't get hit by your opponent. Before they can react from the ledge, and get to you from how far you slid away, your end lag is all gone.

Please, do tell me how it's even worse then what you thought it was? Enlighten me in the ways of, a free strong spike that they can't avoid is bad.

I've spiked Marth's, Link's, Meta Knights, Snake's, and others I can't remember.... because they didn't sweetspot the ledge, and ate a Raptor Boost to the face.

You are aware of the priority of the raptor boost I assume, and if they dont sweetspot the ledge, I guess what you say would work..but why would they not sweetspot the ledge..

also, if you are able to raptor boost the way you say, it is also possible you bounce off of their hitbox instead of their hurtbox making you hop onto the stage and endure lag, and leave yourself vulnerable for a ledge hopped whatever.

SuSa

You are aware of the priority of the raptor boost I assume, and if they dont sweetspot the ledge, I guess what you say would work..but why would they not sweetspot the ledge..

also, if you are able to raptor boost the way you say, it is also possible you bounce off of their hitbox instead of their hurtbox making you hop onto the stage and endure lag, and leave yourself vulnerable for a ledge hopped whatever.
Often times, moves like Link's up-B sits there being useless for a few frames. Those frames are enough to spike him.

The same can be said for anyone that doesn't "snap" to the ledge in a broken liek manner. (Mario and Lucario come to mind)

Still, if you do the hop, no character is fast enough to punish you, unless you did this way to late and they were already on the ledge to begin with.

aka: You're doing it wrong.

a) It works, I use it pretty ****ed often, its possibly your safest edgeguarding choice without staying on stage.

b) Except for the falcon punch, I wouldn't say it unless I know it to work. (FP works, but its so impractical it's not worth it)

c) Pushing something out as 'worthless' is why boards don't develop. Things have uses, my BAL/BACL for Link boards was deemed useless back in October, and people are starting to finally 'see the light' and see its worth. Maybe this whole b-reversed Side-B will suffer the same fate? Who knows, who cares. If it does, that just gives me more time to use it in videos before it becomes common as hell. :laugh:

d) Yah, I'm aware of the priority. Most hitboxes are at their end near the edge though, that's just how people try to time their recoveries. Also the angle of which you hit normally let's you hit, rather then your opponent.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Mmmm my bad. I thought I had a way to upload images set up but I don't yet. Don't ask any questions about what I'm talking about until I get that up, because everything should be pretty clear when it is.

Zeallyx

Often times, moves like Link's up-B sits there being useless for a few frames. Those frames are enough to spike him.

The same can be said for anyone that doesn't "snap" to the ledge in a broken liek manner. (Mario and Lucario come to mind)

Still, if you do the hop, no character is fast enough to punish you, unless you did this way to late and they were already on the ledge to begin with.

aka: You're doing it wrong.

a) It works, I use it pretty ****ed often, its possibly your safest edgeguarding choice without staying on stage.

b) Except for the falcon punch, I wouldn't say it unless I know it to work. (FP works, but its so impractical it's not worth it)

c) Pushing something out as 'worthless' is why boards don't develop. Things have uses, my BAL/BACL for Link boards was deemed useless back in October, and people are starting to finally 'see the light' and see its worth. Maybe this whole b-reversed Side-B will suffer the same fate? Who knows, who cares. If it does, that just gives me more time to use it in videos before it becomes common as hell. :laugh:

d) Yah, I'm aware of the priority. Most hitboxes are at their end near the edge though, that's just how people try to time their recoveries. Also the angle of which you hit normally let's you hit, rather then your opponent.
saying that is your safest edgeguard is..peculiar
I don't doubt you know your ****, but you should consider looking into falcon's offstage game more.

also, what I bolded is worrying. and not because of 'how we don't progress'.

SuSa

saying that is your safest edgeguard is..peculiar
I don't doubt you know your ****, but you should consider looking into falcon's offstage game more.

also, what I bolded is worrying. and not because of 'how we don't progress'.
Off-Stage and when my opponent is on the ledge is where I love to be. Especially when my opponent is on the ledge.

It's his safest off-stage edgeguard, with that in mind, he's only off stage for a fraction of a second.

It's the hardest to actually punish unless really attempting to (eg; not sweetspotting the edge and doing some weird 'miss the edge to hit Falcon' thing... not many people would even try this anyways... if they start doing this, just stand by the edge and utilt... problem solved)

When I first read your post, I missed the "don't" in your second sentence, almost got offended, and luckily double checked my reading. :laugh:

Also, there is progression being made, but still many naysayers about said progression. Trust me, I've seen your threads. It's progress, many people see it as progress, and some don't. I've also seen a lot of negativity about some of the uses of said progressions, hence it reminds me of my BAL thread for Link, most everything does actually xD

Zeallyx

Off-Stage and when my opponent is on the ledge is where I love to be. Especially when my opponent is on the ledge.

It's his safest off-stage edgeguard, with that in mind, he's only off stage for a fraction of a second.

It's the hardest to actually punish unless really attempting to (eg; not sweetspotting the edge and doing some weird 'miss the edge to hit Falcon' thing... not many people would even try this anyways... if they start doing this, just stand by the edge and utilt... problem solved)

When I first read your post, I missed the "don't" in your second sentence, almost got offended, and luckily double checked my reading. :laugh:

Also, there is progression being made, but still many naysayers about said progression. Trust me, I've seen your threads. It's progress, many people see it as progress, and some don't. I've also seen a lot of negativity about some of the uses of said progressions, hence it reminds me of my BAL thread for Link, most everything does actually xD
falcon has better options to gimp the opponent when the opponent is put into that position.

also, please leave my threads out of this, they lie in the past, and I already had enough **** about them.

Zeallyx

Not when you're Falcon. Dying at 14% because of a failed 'better' edgeguard screws you over more then playing him to begin with.
there are also better, less safe options where you dont have to risk your stock for..

SuSa

Going off-stage immediatly risks your stock.

Now then, I was hoping you were going to argue over %'s; which is why I mentioned 14% so randomly.

Sum up our argument quickly, and making sense:

At lower %'s, you're going for the safe- yet still efficient- methods of doing things. You're playing safe, because you don't want to die at a low %, and you're trying to stay at a low %. You're worried about dying early, because obviously you want to live to a higher %.

Therefore, you play safer, but less efficient.

At higher %'s, you're going for the better methods of doing things. You're less worried about taking more damage, and focusing more on KO'ing your opponent. You're a bit less worried about dying, because "You're going to die soon anyways"

Therefore, you play more efficiently, but less safe.

My higher % summary is a bit messed up, but I think you get the idea.

Zeallyx

Going off-stage immediatly risks your stock.

Now then, I was hoping you were going to argue over %'s; which is why I mentioned 14% so randomly.

Sum up our argument quickly, and making sense:

At lower %'s, you're going for the safe- yet still efficient- methods of doing things. You're playing safe, because you don't want to die at a low %, and you're trying to stay at a low %. You're worried about dying early, because obviously you want to live to a higher %.

Therefore, you play safer, but less efficient.

At higher %'s, you're going for the better methods of doing things. You're less worried about taking more damage, and focusing more on KO'ing your opponent. You're a bit less worried about dying, because "You're going to die soon anyways"

Therefore, you play more efficiently, but less safe.

My higher % summary is a bit messed up, but I think you get the idea.
You must understand falcon has better, less safe, but still, not stock threatening edgeguards.

SuSa

You must understand falcon has better, less safe, but still, not stock threatening edgeguards.
You're still risking taking damage, a lot higher then 2-10% (the average damage taken if you mess up the b-reversed Raptor Boost edgeguard)

(not that you'll ALWAYS take that damage, or ALWAYS SD, but the chances are much higher then what I propose)

Either that, or I really, REALLY fail at edgeguarding. :laugh:

Zeallyx

You're still risking taking damage, a lot higher then 2-10% (the average damage taken if you mess up the b-reversed Raptor Boost edgeguard)

(not that you'll ALWAYS take that damage, or ALWAYS SD, but the chances are much higher then what I propose)

Either that, or I really, REALLY fail at edgeguarding. :laugh:
There are pretty safe ways to edgeguard with falcon, with very little chance of taking damage SDing.

I've never seen you play, or edgeguard, so I'm not saying you suck, but you should consider other ways of edgeguarding (too).

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
edge-hog, jump off with a back air. Then you could go for another back air OR return to the stage for an edge-hog which alows you to start the process again. If you doing just 1back air use raptor boost to recover cause it's quicker and spikes. Good for chars like ike, marth, faclon, falco (under stage), ganon, link, bowser pretty much anyone with **** horizontal or bad recovery in general. Once their second jump is gone there ****ed and you can edgehog 'em. Basic idea is to set-up a wall and keep pushing them back.

if all i want to do is make sure i hit them for the best odds i just neutral air.

for the big boys, snake, DDD, charizard, samus, DK ect. i'll drop or jump from the stage depending on where they are and go for a knee of justice. Much easier on bigger targets + harder to kill (think snake), go for the knee to finish them early. back air won't do so good if their recovery is average or better.

spikeing, basically situational but you can create that chance. you can shorthop and down air if they are coming back from the edge, but only if they let you. Other than that, you can ****-ep the star furries if they go under the stage, wolf is harder though. I'd rather try and sweetspot a knee then go for a spike, and an edgehog before that again if there out of range, which is like always for falco.

up air, easy to hit, not so useful for edgeguarding i'd rather use a neutral air.

Top Bottom