• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to counter banana spam?

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Ive had a few diddy players who have a serious banana spam problem..what i want to know is how to counter that! I tried using arial moves the diddies kept pelting me with theirs.. i tried grabbing and throwing them back, but i usually miss either grabbing or throwing them. ITS FREAKIN ANNOYING! Anyone have any tips?
I main kirby btw.

The results are in!
Ok so here's what i got
The jump canceled throw's worked like a charm. As soon as diddy saw me running, he chased after me only to be triped by my surprise jump canceled throw. I then proceded to either grab or use my dash attack. Doesnt work all the time of course, but then again, what attack does? :p

Throwing them up did absolutely nothing.. He just waited for them to land, and picked them up.

The shield grab also worked, but to a lesser extent. It was a great mindgame, and diddy fell for it occasionally, but thats more than enough to set up a combo with kirby ^^

Aerial game was my best bet. What i did to counter his Fair was to jump, retreat, wait till he uses his Fair, then jump again and hit him with either my Fair, Nair, or Dair. And even that i didnt really do much. He actually used Fair alot less than I thought... So i had no trouble pelting him with my air's.

The falling bairs also helped me some, but the Dair>Fsmash helped alot more.

The final score was 7-3 ^^.

My diddy friend simply said "...wth?"

I couldnt have done it without you guys, thanks for the help!

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
You can eat bananas with swallow for fun. Also try picking them up with your dash attack. You should be able to beat diddy in the air with bairs and uairs,

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
There isn't much you can do i'm afraid. Every character has the same problem with him. You are just going to have to try to get them yourself. I guess one thing you could do is eat them. But its not like he won't just bring out more.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
If you main Kirby then you're already better off then the majority of the cast. Use your aerials to stay above the bananas and beat him in the air.

In the end though, you have to get used to the bananas or else you will pretty much always lose.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Z or air dodge.
Throw the bananas up.

Evenkor

Smash Cadet
I personally think that aerial approaches with close-range ground fighting works very well. Also, if you're not good with bananas, learn them: they won't just help with the diddy matchup but they'll also help overall with trip recovery, which makes or breaks games.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Shield a banana that is thrown at you and Z-catch it on the rebound.
People think they've got me when they grab my peels, but then I just do that and I've regained control.

Catching items isn't hard in Brawl, though, it takes practice. Since I play an item based character it's second nature to me, lol.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Throw them off the cliff. It'll force them to pull out another one. If you throw the bananas back at Diddy Kong, chances are he'll just grab them through his dash attacks. I still have trouble with Diddy Kong and throwing bananas back at him is not the way to go. If you're going to, you're better off throwing them from above.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Well grabbing his bananas and Glide tossing them at him can work pretty well. Many characters have really good glide tosses, even better than Diddy's like Meta Knight (LOL what can't he do better) and Pit amongst others.

A-Luc

Smash Rookie
I use Lucas, and the Diddy players I have faced fortunately don't have this problem. haha. I can't imagine what you're going through...but Diddy is one of the most annoying characters to face, no offense to anybody.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
you can take the naners, throw them behind you and camp Diddy with bairs

this only works a few times though lol

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Well grabbing his bananas and Glide tossing them at him can work pretty well. Many characters have really good glide tosses, even better than Diddy's like Meta Knight (LOL what can't he do better) and Pit amongst others.
Diddy has the best spacing with the nanners. Just a coincidince but you can't use the nanners better than him.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I personally like to choose mexican color pit, and glide down the level and then do my favorite taunt "THE FIGHT IS ON" , which i find to be quite the counter for diddy's bannanas.

Edit: LOL I went to take a piss only to find out my friend typed this in to be funny.

I note, he misspelled bananas. hahaha

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Approach from the Air I guess. If you don't like to approach, wait under a Platform. When he throws the Banana, it will land on the plat and you can go for the worry free shield grab.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
ROB
10 ROB Nanners
It means there are 10 ROBs, and they all have nanners! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Why hasn't this thread been closed yet...?

Anyway, to the OP, Kirby cannot glide toss, so glide tossing it back is out. However, picking up the bananas isn't such an issue. You can do it with your DA (and leave yourself wide open while the move ends and eat a smash to the face), or with a FFed ACed Nair, which yields no lag and leaves you available to do just about anything afterwards. Control of the bananas will be incredibly helpful in this matchup.

Also, in the air, your Bair beats out almost everything Diddy has (I believe the Fair either clashes or beats Kirby's Bair.). Therefore, most of your approaches should be done in the air.

Offstage is also Kirby's game. When Diddy's out there, go gimp him. If you FF a Dair, the rocket barrels won't hit you and Diddy won't be able to recover (especially if you footstool him at the end of it).

Ledgeplay is also incredibly effective, but then, maybe that's just because I am personally really good at ledgeplay.

Oh, and I forgot, Gonzo combo at low percentages.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Ok with everything you guys said, so far i have these options.
1.Pick them up, and throw them up
2.Pick them up, and throw them out.
3.Focus on ledgeplay (Would'nt that be annoying to the other player?)
4.Focus on arial combat. (And yea, diddy's Fair beats kirby's Dair, and all other arial attacks for that matter.)

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Yeah but it also his f-air has a "fair" amount of landing lag so if it isn't autocancelled you can try to punish him.

If you have a video of yourself post it so we can see how developed into the game you are.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, ledgeplay REALLY annoys other players, which in turn makes them play worse/more aggressively, which leads to you winning.

Mr_Orion

Smash Apprentice
Dash>pick up banana>short hop>downthrow

or get really good at dodging them.

If you frequently go against a pro toon link, like me, then this should pose no problem.

Also, my kung fu is strong.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Yeah but it also his f-air has a "fair" amount of landing lag so if it isn't autocancelled you can try to punish him.

If you have a video of yourself post it so we can see how developed into the game you are.

I've got a few, but these are rather old..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJWNaseB9CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiXpIm6kdOQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szgI-UnG5vQ&feature=related

I dont play like this anymore. Ill post up one of my recent matches when i get the ram for my computer.

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
Also Jump canceled throws. Run away then JC throw backwards. Gets them every time.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I find that Kirby's strength in the air really saves his *** here. Diddy's main strength on Kirby is his bananas, get in his face while in the air and he's boned.

I make it sound easy, but it's still a ***** of a fight. I hate Diddy more than anything else, I really do. I wouldn't call him 'cheap', I'm just saying it's stupid. =/

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh. I have a few examples of me playing my friend's Diddy (he doesn't main Diddy, but he's not bad. He got quite a few tricks from playing AZ >.<), though unfortunately they both cut off halfway through. I'll try to post them soon.

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
So your saying to simple run away, and out of nowhere jump backward and throw it at them?
Yeah look at jump canceled throwing you run in one direction then quickly throw backwards without leaving the ground. its teh sex

Really the best way to deal with diddy's bananas is to learn an item character like Link or diddy. Or at least learn a few item techniques. Glide tossing randomly does not always solve everything. What I hate seeing is people glide tossing just because they can, with no thought or follow-up. Its like saying "Oh I have your banana, monkey, since I'm in a good mood, here you can have it back." TRY HITTING THEM WITH IT FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
In Miami... sweating my *** off &gt;.&gt;
Yeah look at jump canceled throwing you run in one direction then quickly throw backwards without leaving the ground. its teh sex
O_O........Without leaving the ground?
Tell me its easier than it sounds xD. Im used to jump shifting back and forth alot, considering i do it constantly when i want to Bair someone in front of me, but that sounds rediculous xD

Top Bottom