• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to counter banana spam?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have NO idea why no one has said "shieldgrab".

Diddy throws his bananas at you. If he throws one, shield his nanner (a perfect shield would be nice, but its not necessary), and then just execute a grab. Even if you feel you're gonna fail, if the Diddy's running at you trying to grab you or dash attack you, your grab is faster and has priority over his dash attack. All thats left for you to do is fthrow and catch the banana on the floor as you're falling, and BAM! Perfect counter. I've tried it and I've done greatly against Diddy mainers in my area...

Just watch out for diddies who get smart and start chucking bananas at you for shield pressure. You'll have to mindgame the shieldgrab if you're still going for it.

Of course, an air game will always be welcome in this matchup, but think of this as an... Alternative. ;)

Gnes

Smash Master
I have NO idea why no one has said "shieldgrab".

Diddy throws his bananas at you. If he throws one, shield his nanner (a perfect shield would be nice, but its not necessary), and then just execute a grab. Even if you feel you're gonna fail, if the Diddy's running at you trying to grab you or dash attack you, your grab is faster and has priority over his dash attack. All thats left for you to do is fthrow and catch the banana on the floor as you're falling, and BAM! Perfect counter. I've tried it and I've done greatly against Diddy mainers in my area...

Just watch out for diddies who get smart and start chucking bananas at you for shield pressure. You'll have to mindgame the shieldgrab if you're still going for it.

Of course, an air game will always be welcome in this matchup, but think of this as an... Alternative. ;)
Shieldgrabbing doesnt work and neither does perfect shielding...If u shield the banana and let go the naner trips u after unshielding...If u stay shielding the diddy can just side B u into quick damage...

Also...diddy has more grab range than kirby so if he grabs from a wider distance away his grab will happen instead of yours...

Shielding is probably the worst thing u can do considering most pro diddy's specialize in shield pressure...I would stick to just zoning diddy away from his bananas...thats the most effective strategy

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Shielding... let's see, this results in the second banana coming at me as the second one is in the air. If I let go at any point until they both land I get tripped, and meanwhile Diddy will be ****ing my ****.

Also, Vorguen, that's really easy to say, except Kirby HAS NO GLIDETOSS!

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Also, Vorguen, that's really easy to say, except Kirby HAS NO GLIDETOSS!
I beg to differ.. glide tossing is where you run, jump, and quickly throw it the other direction without even leaving the ground right? Im almost positive i did it with kirby, but not 100% sure, it might have been another character. Im going to check it out right now.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No, glide tossing is when you roll and throw with the Cstick so that you slide the distance you would have rolled while throwing. This is what most Diddies/ROBs/Peaches do, thus allowing for sliding attacks.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Shield grabs are more situational than strategic. I'd think most Diddy's would back the hell off if you shielded to avoid being grabbed.

I forget, doesn't executing and aerial allow to grab a banana as he throws it at you? (Yes my match up time is so small against Diddy that I dont know this.)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have plenty of experience playing diddies, enough to at the minimum back up my shieldgrabbing strategy. It actually works wonderfully, try it out for yourselves. It's better used moderately, but it definitely helps.

Diddies do know how to shield pressure, but they also know how to chase the player as he runs from the bananas. As you shield them and do the predictable backroll, they folow you while chucking another banana, ready to grab the one they just tossed and keep up the offensive. Shieldgrabbing diddy might sound like a mindgame (and definitely is), but due to the players' strategy, he'l come after you once more during the match without realizing what the heck he just did: which was glide toss in kirby's direction, ending up in either him backing up to grab the second banana, or continue into kirby's grab.

Diddy has more range, but kirby,s grab is faster. Predicting the usual dash attack/dash grab with a grab of your own will end up in yours ending faster, concluding in a successful shieldgrab. And as I stated before, he will otherwise choose to chuck bananas while walking/glide tossing to inflict shield pressure, so the shieldgrabbing can be thought of as an alternative.

Theory and practice are different in many ways. Before counting out that which has worked for me in the past, you guys should try it out at least once.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Like I said, it's an alternative you can use to the usual banana-grabbing-and-throwing counter most people suggest. You could also come at them diagonally with a falling bair and keep your game to aerial most of the time, since diddy's forte is the ground...

As long asyou counterpick stages that hinder Diddy's banana approach and stay ahead of him in close-rabge combat (be it air or ground), you should definitely have the advantage.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Diddies don't usually depend on aerial approaches, unless you're recovering, or flying over them (or you have unusually high percent). If you want to be careful about his fair, either have him pinned to the ground with your own air game, or space it out. Learn about how long his hitbox is, and how long it lasts, and wait it out while readying your rising/falling bairs. Push him out of the stage, then drill them with dairs (including their upB recovery) and you'll have em down a stock in no time.

It's just a matter of who's the fastest thinker and reflexes, just like with all other characters in kirby's matchups.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Thats what i thought as well.
I was doing o.k with the air game, till he hit me like thrice with his fair, at that point i gave up.
(I know, it was stupid.)
So what i've got to do is
1.Play him with air game
2.If i get my hands on a banana, try pelting him with it using a jump canceled throw.
3.Occasionally use shield grab for mindgame purposes.
I'll try using all of these on my next match with diddy, (Which shouldnt be too long from now) and tell you how it goes.
Thanks for the help!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Np, and please do come back and update on how it went! I'm quite curious...

By the way, try z-dropping the bananas in midair as a mindgame while closing in. Follow up with whatever, even grabs if he's shielding... Or throw the bananas upwards so they're of no use to either of you. Better no bananas than both with bananas!

Pink murder

Smash Ace
The results are in!
Ok so here's what i got
The jump canceled throw's worked like a charm. As soon as diddy saw me running, he chased after me only to be triped by my surprise jump canceled throw. I then proceded to either grab or use my dash attack. Doesnt work all the time of course, but then again, what attack does? :p

Throwing them up did absolutely nothing.. He just waited for them to land, and picked them up.

The shield grab also worked, but to a lesser extent. It was a great mindgame, and diddy fell for it occasionally, but thats more than enough to set up a combo with kirby ^^

Aerial game was my best bet. What i did to counter his Fair was to jump, retreat, wait till he uses his Fair, then jump again and hit him with either my Fair, Nair, or Dair. And even that i didnt really do much. He actually used Fair alot less than I thought... So i had no trouble pelting him with my air's.

The falling bairs also helped me some, but the Dair>Fsmash helped alot more.

The final score was 7-3 ^^.

My diddy friend simply said "...wth?"

I couldnt have done it without you guys, thanks for the help!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That's cool. Good for you!

I might need this banana advice tomorrow, I'm going to an Ohio tourney and AlphaZealot should be there @_@

You know what's absolutely ********?

1. a banana is on the Battlefield platform directly above you
2. you do, say, an Upsmash
3. you trip on the banana that is ABOVE you
4. Diddy Kong is lame (the playstyle, not the character)

aslfjkoeri

Him and Olimar. >=(

Pink murder

Smash Ace
You know what's absolutely ********?

1. a banana is on the Battlefield platform directly above you
2. you do, say, an Upsmash
3. you trip on the banana that is ABOVE you
4. Diddy Kong is lame (the playstyle, not the character)

aslfjkoeri

Him and Olimar. >=(
Seriously? o.o
Ive gotta check that out :p
And i totally agree with you
I hate fighting olimar >.>

Top Bottom