• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Super Smash Bros Brawl SHOULD be.

Pika Pika Pi

Smash Rookie
Just because you think it is cheap or whatever doesn't give you the right to talk about getting rid of it.
Yeah, we're not allowed to express views stating exploits should be removed.
How dar we.

What if tourney players said we should get rid of items since we do not use it and we think it is "cheap."
You'd probably be laughed at by everyone else because you're comparing exploiting the game to an integral part of the gameplay.

You can't compare the two. One's supposed to be there, the other is not.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Oh hey, I suck at Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I'm not willing to learn Advanced Techs cause I'm a noob.

Oh hey, I fixed YOUR post.

You guys must have A LOT OF SKILL to press the A button and throw a Pokeball to win a match. That takes a lot of skill and it's fun, no. Go play ANY game, it usually gets boring for people if there are no glitches.

I'm JK about your post though. I must disagree, it does not take 95% of the fun out, the fun begins when the items are taken out.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hey guess what tourney***s, how about you go play a real fighting game?
You take out items, levels, andything "random" to have skill be the defining factor in fights.
Oh, except almost EVERY SINGLE FIGHTING GAME BEFORE SSB WAS LIKE THAT.
Way to remove everything that made SSB unique.
Maybe you should get your heads out of your ***** and play something like Marvel vs Capcom, a Street Fighter, or Soul Caliber.
Or are you afraid of playing a game without wavedashing?
Jesus Christ tourney***s are pathetic.
This my friends is another joke account.

Just to let you know we play for money so we really don't care what you say. And its still unique because you have to knock the person off the edge, and its the only game where it dosn't have a certain amount of life left. So basicly I proved to your that your a dumb**** for making a joke account so you won't get flammed.

So I say what games have

Life that goes up
Knocking characters off the edge to win
Characters being able to recover after being knocked off

BTW I bet you that Raptor Jesus is the same person as Jeff and Pika PIka

And I saw you changed my post from Luck to Fun.

In this world, Money >>>>>>>>>> Fun

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Yeah, we're not allowed to express views stating exploits should be removed.
How dar we.

You'd probably be laughed at by everyone else because you're comparing exploiting the game to an integral part of the gameplay.

Why can't I? None of these things affect the other side. Casual players do not wavedash or have to deal with it usually so why should they have a say and same goes with tourney players and items. Why do you care if wavedashing is in or out? You and your friends don't use it or does someone wavedash against you and that is why you think you lose? BTW, tourney players probably luagh at you for suggesting wavedashing to be removed. Does that really mean anything? No, not really. You not getting the example. Yes.

Edit: lol, supposed to be played.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hey, you know whats funny? Pika Pika Pi, Raptor Jesus, and Jeff are all the same person, seeing that they have like 2 posts each, they all joined this month, and the others haven't responded back. Seems very werid dosn't it?

Sombody bann this noob.

Also
You broke it, jerk.

Don't get pissy because I play the game how it's supposed to be played.
1. Who said that was the right way to play? Nintendo wants us to be creative, there are not exact rules that clearly say you have to fight this way.

2. When it comes to money we don't play by your rules anymore.

Adi

Smash Lord

The point is moot, items do not affect us, and advanced techniques do not affect you, so why do you feel the need to ask for their removal.

NES n00b

Smash Master
The point is moot, items do not affect us, and advanced techniques do not affect you, so why do you feel the need to ask for their removal.
Yay someone got my example. I am seriously tired of casual players thinking they are superior to tourney players in some way because they think they play the way the game "is supposed to be played." I and other advance tech usersdon't complain about casual play or how it is run. But yet these people who won't ever use advance techs want them removed.

Man, I just wished that both tourney and casual players would get along and none would complain about how the other plays.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Hey guess what tourneyers, how about you go play a real fighting game?
You take out items, levels, andything "random" to have skill be the defining factor in fights.
Oh, except almost EVERY SINGLE FIGHTING GAME BEFORE SSB WAS LIKE THAT.
Way to remove everything that made SSB unique.
Maybe you should get your heads out of the clouds and play something like Marvel vs Capcom, a Street Fighter, or Soul Caliber.
Or are you afraid of playing a game without wavedashing?
Jesus Christ tourneyers are pathetic.
Dude, other fighting games stink. All you have to do to get a combo is rapidly press the attack button. Smash is faaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr better than any of those. You actually can make up your combos as you go. Oh.....that's rough isn't it, having to actually MOVE YOUR FINGERS.

Pika Pika Pi

Smash Rookie
Look at Mario Kart for the DS. If you play online, you'll be left in the dust if you don't exploit the game's physics and snake. If Brawl is online, I don't want to have to exploit the game just to keep up with the "tourney" players.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
What an internet noob.
Is that the best you've got? So you've run out of ideas to argue back so you call me names? And this also supports my theory that you are the same person by the way you acted.

Also want to hear something that will make you even angryer?

We play SSB64 seriously and have tournys with no items.

Also on Mario kart my record is 138-38 just for the record. Lmao

Salaad

Smash Ace
Look at Mario Kart for the DS. If you play online, you'll be left in the dust if you don't exploit the game's physics and snake. If Brawl is online, I don't want to have to exploit the game just to keep up with the "tourney" players.
Cry.

If you can't beat them, join them. Simple as that.

NES n00b

Smash Master
What do you mean by this? You would still have to do stuff that was intended in the game like DI and l canceling as well as practice. Just because you get rid of "exploitations," it doesn't mean you would be able to keep up with "tourney" players. Play with your friends or quit any game with "tourney" players if you really do not feel like facing them.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hey what happend to Jeff and Raptor? Did they suddenly dissapear? Or are they not on because the same person can't be more than 1 user at a time?

bored

Smash Ace
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"The fun of picking up a motion sensor and tossing it on to the ground and then giggling like a schoolgirl as the opponent steps on to it and takes a nice long trip into the sky":laugh::laugh::laugh:

Salaad

Smash Ace
They probably got bored and left. But it's cute you're getting paranoid about it.

It's cute that it took you so long to post. Your probably peeing in your pants right now. W/e, we "Exploit" the game. But you know what? WE OWN YOU. You can't do crap without items because you have no skill. Face it, YOU PHAIL.

Pika Pika Pi

Smash Rookie
Dam, your comebacks are awesome. Lmfao, your an item noob, get a life. You suck at SSBM, so you use items so you can feel good. Learn combos instead of pressing A fatass.
Yes, I should train at teh vidya to be as cool as you.

You're a god among geeks, Salaad.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm not paranoid. I was using sarcasim. Also nice femmine acent.

But seriously this thread has gone too far, we need a mod to lock it.

BTW my Jigglypuff blows fire at you, then laughs at you.

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
How can playing with items be fun? It's boring, and no, luck is NOT a part of skill. Luck is a seperate factor. How much skill does it take to throw a Pokeball? Dam, must take a lot..Pressing the A button...How much skill does it take to do Advanced Techs? More than 6 Buttons a second. You choose not to play competitively, don't whine about it.
Playing on the same stage with the same characters and using the same techniques all the time strikes me as way more boring.

Also, don't be an ***. What I'm saying is, if you got lucky, you deserved to get lucky.

I won't touch on the 'advanced techs', since besides Wavedashing, I admittedly have very little experience with them.

Now this statement begs to ask, would you really say the same when thousands of dollars were on the line? Would you let luck be the deciding factor between first and second?
I dunno. The prospect of getting money does horrible things to people.

Lmao! This jeff person is probably just a joke account. Cause he dosn't want to get flammed by good players like me. THE JIGGERNAUGHT. Anyways, even though were cutting out 95% of the game were also cutting 95% of the Luck in the game.
I'm not a joke account. You may assume that because I have a low post count, but I've merely lurked here for a few days, then decided to make this topic before I did anything else. That doesn't make me a joke account. And, don't let your ego get too inflated, because I honestly don't give one half of a rat turd if you flame me to high heaven, "Mr. Jiggernaught." Mostly because, if your manner and spelling are any indication, any flames from you would come from the 2nd Grade classroom.

We play for money in tournaments. Were not here for the laughs, but the money. I really don't feel like the opponent getting a star that spawned right next to them and kill me. Yeah it would be funny, but it wouldn't be funny anymore because I would be out of the tournament and I wouldn't be able to win the money. Also you can use counter picks to pick crazy stages like mute city or pokefloats. But stages like Hyrule, Flat Zone, Great Bay, etc people can abuse cheap kills or stay in the cave of life. Basicly we cut out the items and bann stages to reduce the luck factor to 0%. Also did you know that the programers noticed the wavedash b4 they released it but still kept it in.
Again, money does horrible things to people, and this is a perfect example. You've siphoned all the fun out of the game in the name of reducing it to purely a matter of skill. Unless I miss my meaning, this is so the risk of you not getting the money is reduced. Whoever decided to mix high amounts of money with video games is an utter fool, as far as I'm concerned.

As for wavedashing, that's just what you say. Show me some definitive proof and I might buy that.

And saying always having items on is just as stupid as having Mario not return in brawl. The only reason you want items to always be on is that you want revenge on us for some reason. I don't think nintendo is stupid enough to not have an option for items turning on or off, they've had it in the past 2 games, aslo without the item selection you can't turn certian items off like if you want a pokeball only fight. Appently you have some grudge about a player that probably pwned you so you post this crap to get everybody mad.
A straw man argument. Nice.

I don't want 'revenge' on anybody. I don't have a grudge. I just don't think such a fundamental part of the game should be cut out just because of the 'luck' factor it adds.

Hey, you know whats funny? Pika Pika Pi, Raptor Jesus, and Jeff are all the same person, seeing that they have like 2 posts each, they all joined this month, and the others haven't responded back. Seems very werid dosn't it?
Wrong...we're all different people, I just haven't been posting because this thread is starting to move faster than I can reply.

If we want to play with anybody besides friends, then yes, yes it does, because the rulesets are same in tournaments no matter where you go.

Although I guess Wi-Fi in SSBB could fix this.

This. This is what I'm trying to say. If you don't use the same **** exploits everyone else uses, your rear end will get chopped off and served to you on a silver platter.

(But that doesn't mean we're the same person, eheh eheh).

Pika Pika Pi

Smash Rookie
It's cute that it took you so long to post. Your probably peeing in your pants right now. W/e, we "Exploit" the game. But you know what? WE OWN YOU. You can't do crap without items because you have no skill. Face it, YOU PHAIL.
Yes, yes, you train and exploit video games to get your e-peen. Kind of setting your bar for life low, don'tcha think?

Adi

Smash Lord
It's interesting that you bring up this example actually because I have a story behind how I learned to snake in Mario Kart DS. I learned it when I got completely smoked in my first online match. In fact, I even thought he was hacking at first, and got pretty angry about it. However I played more online matches and still continued to get owned, so I realized that everybody can't be hacking. I went to Gamefaqs and that's where I first found out about snaking. I never complained about it for an instant, I practiced on time trial, owning some of the Nintendo Staff Ghosts in the process =P. When I came back, I managed to hold my own with some of the Snakers and it gave me a real sense of accomplishment and pride that wouldn't have been acheived otherwise if I just won by pressing one button to throw a blue shell.

My point is that the intent of the developer is irrelvant. It is essentially it's own entity using whatever rules have arisen after it's release. If you still have this feeling that exploiting a game's physics to win is cheap I strongly advise you to read the article at sirlin.net

Salaad

Smash Ace
Yes, I should train at teh vidya to be as cool as you.

You're a god among geeks, Salaad.
You're quite right, I am a god among geeks. You got a problem with that? At least I don't complain like a baby because I suck so bad at SSBM. JUST KEEP CRYING.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
nice thread, jeff. I am a casual gamer, and never turn off any stages or items. I think the random elements are part of what makes smash bros, well, smash bros.
don't get me wrong, i understand why people would want to turn the random stages and items off, and i completely respect that.
by the way, on the subject of a casual vs. tourney war, three words: Mutually Assured Destruction.

Pika Pika Pi

Smash Rookie
You're quite right, I am a god among geeks. You got a problem with that? At least I don't complain like a baby because I suck so bad at SSBM. JUST KEEP CRYING.
I'm more bewildered that you take Smash Bros this seriously.

Try to be more like Adi. He's sensible. You just give tourney players a bad name.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
K then, what do you think about Halo 2 then? With all its advanced teqhniques. Wanna ***** about that too? They have tournaments and rules. Here's what you should do, go to the biggest Halo 2 fourm board and make a topic just like this, see how much more you get flammed there.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I think Super Smash Brothers is fine the way it is, like Nintendo are trying to do, they're catering to everyone with the Smash series and there's absoulutely NO point in taking any of the features people enjoy out. You wanna play with items? Play with items. Want a serious match? Turn off items and go on Final Destination.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Same characters and stages? WTF? Viewtiful Jeff, you obviously don't know enough about tourney play to talk about it. Pika Pika Pi, why don't you use the exploits? Or even better yet, you don't exploit the physics, and do everything that was intended including shffl, l cancel, edgehog, etc. It is possible you can with without exploits, but you still have to practice and you still have to use every tech that the developer's INTENDED.

Edit: Pika Pika Pi, you know that you take this no exploits thing pretty seriously right? Which means you are serious about this game, too. Just pointing out the contradictions.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I think Super Smash Brothers is fine the way it is, like Nintendo are trying to do, they're catering to everyone with the Smash series and there's absoulutely NO point in taking any of the features people enjoy out. You wanna play with items? Play with items. Want a serious match? Turn off items and go on Final Destination.
Thank you!

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
It's interesting that you bring up this example actually because I have a story behind how I learned to snake in Mario Kart DS. I learned it when I got completely smoked in my first online match. In fact, I even thought he was hacking at first, and got pretty angry about it. However I played more online matches and still continued to get owned, so I realized that everybody can't be hacking. I went to Gamefaqs and that's where I first found out about snaking. I never complained about it for an instant, I practiced on time trial, owning some of the Nintendo Staff Ghosts in the process =P. When I came back, I managed to hold my own with some of the Snakers and it gave me a real sense of accomplishment and pride that wouldn't have been acheived otherwise if I just won by pressing one button to throw a blue shell.

My point is that the intent of the developer is irrelvant. It is essentially it's own entity using whatever rules have arisen after it's release. If you still have this feeling that exploiting a game's physics to win is cheap I strongly advise you to read the article at sirlin.net
That's great and all, but it doesn't change the fact that you are all playing the game using an unintended mechanic. So this whole debate boils down to a philosophy. Some people take the game as it is and just adapt to any glitches/exploits/etc that crop up, incorporating them into their repertoire without question. Others are purists and see this as something that taints the game and makes it into something it was never intended to be. I'm one of the latter. I know the majority of tournament players will never fall into that camp, so I'll just live with the fact that I will never be one of the world's greatest players of a video game. I'll just have to be content with dominating all of my friends. :chuckle:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
And that concludes this thread. Mod lock this please.

Oh and btw b4 its locked I'd like to have your mario kart DS friend code so I can pwn you tonight.

Salaad

Smash Ace
I'm more bewildered that you take Smash Bros this seriously.

Try to be more like Adi. He's sensible. You just give tourney players a bad name.
Don't be a Kissass. If you didn't take Smash Bros. seriously, why are you here? I find Smash Bros. fun because of advanced techs. I don't need items to succeed. And if your such a casual gamer, why are you even on SmashBoards? Shouldn't you be playing with items?

Pika Pika Pi

Smash Rookie
Don't be a Kissass. If you didn't take Smash Bros. seriously, why are you here? I find Smash Bros. fun because of advanced techs. I don't need items to succeed. And if your such a casual gamer, why are you even on SmashBoards? Shouldn't you be playing with items?
I'm here because there's good discussion going on. It just so happens that there's also obsessive wackos too, who are so empty in real life that they have to make up for it by bragging on the internet.

Seriously, Salaad. You're irrational and immature. Argue your points like an adult. Don't throw a tantrum on "how baad u pwn mE at SSBM".
All you're doing is giving competitive gamers a bad name.

NES n00b

Smash Master
That's great and all, but it doesn't change the fact that you are all playing the game using an unintended mechanic. So this whole debate boils down to a philosophy. Some people take the game as it is and just adapt to any glitches/exploits/etc that crop up, incorporating them into their repertoire without question. Others are purists and see this as something that taints the game and makes it into something it was never intended to be. I'm one of the latter. I know the majority of tournament players will never fall into that camp, so I'll just live with the fact that I will never be one of the world's greatest players of a video game. I'll just have to be content with dominating all of my friends. :chuckle:
Why can't all scrubs just adopt you your philosphy and stop complaining/spamming/flaming?

And thank you Salaad for finding his contradiction, too (even if I do not exactly agree with the flaming).

Edit: You flame too Pika Pika Pi. Thank you, Eaode thank you.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Everybody shut the **** up.

Seriously.

Mods should close any of these threads that pop up. I mean, there have been others before anyway. it always turns into a flame war where ******** casual players start revealing their age saying others are tourneyasses or emos or noobs, because they play "how its supposed to be played"

No. You are wrong. Yeah, you see that icon there? The item switch? the off option? it was programmed into the game.

Top Bottom