• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Pokemon are chosen

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Interesting read. Reinforces my suspicion that current popularity is a lot more important than many people may think in dictating Smash reps.

I wonder if they go through a similar process for other separate Nintendo studios that are being represented in Smash, or if Pokemon wields particular clout.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Zoroark is a perfect fit.
Neutral B: Illusion - Transform into the opponent closest to you.
When hit, you turn back to Zoro.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I agree with this way of choosing Pokemon.

Only question is... Jigglypuff. Can she survive another game? I guess it depends how badly Sakurai values being part of the original 12.

Otherwise, having old Pokemon as DLC is realistic in my eyes.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
I agree with this way of choosing Pokemon.

Only question is... Jigglypuff. Can she survive another game? I guess it depends how badly Sakurai values being part of the original 12.

Otherwise, having old Pokemon as DLC is realistic in my eyes.
The original 12 (jigglypuff) won't be canned, or at least shouldn't be lol She's safe

Chauzu

Smash Ace
What I've heard Jigglypuff was only added into Brawl late due to having time to add some extra characters?

That doesn't sound like security to me at least.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What I've heard Jigglypuff was only added into Brawl late due to having time to add some extra characters?

I've never heard this at all. In fact I remember people saying similar things back in both Brawl and Melee days. People have been wanting to see Jiggs go forever, lol. That doesn't make her any less likely to return, nor does her "veteran status" secure her placement. I just hope in the end, playable Pokemon characters are done some justice (Jiggs reflecting her new Fairy type, a certain legendary returning, etc..)

Also props on the Com Dom avi, Unholydeath.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
From what I understand, Jigglypuff was a popular and iconic Pokemon in Japan, sort of like how Pikachu is the Pokemon icon here. We might not understand, but maybe she has fans out there lol

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff was quite popular back in the day in Japan. If you guys remember the original Pokemon Season, towards the end of it was when Jigglypuff was introduced. She stalked Ash and company all the time. Her quest of finding someone that could stay awake during her songs ate up a lot of those filler episodes and got her over really well with the younger audience. She was one of the most popular Pkmn of the original 151. Now that she is a fairy type, this gives her a potential new moveset and gimmick. Add all that with the fact that she is from the original 12 and its obvious Jigglypuff's spot is secure. She's not going anywhere.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Only question is... Jigglypuff. Can she survive another game?
Hopefully not. What a waste of a character slot. There are so many good Pokemon to choose from, and they just put in this ****. Even if you like her you probably have a different Pokemon that you'd like more. She is just a clone of Kirby. She brings nothing to Smash. She only takes away...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Don't worry, I won't start a flame war about it.

Back on topic, it's a good way to choose the right Pokemon for smash, which ones would be more wanted as playable and ones that would make good Pokeball NPCs.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It is true, they have a pretty good system there. It does make it look like Mewtwo might have a good shot at coming back, and the new popularity Jiggs has being a Fairy that could maybe get a new move even because of the type, could give her something cool coming back.

chaoswafflez04

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlazingBlaziken4

I heard about Jiggs being added in at the last moment too, that's why she was one of the final 3 unlockable characters in Brawl. This was because of the team/Sakurai wanting to add more characters, seeing as they probably had enough leftover space for Jiggs, Wolf, and Toon Link to fill in. And now that I think of it, since Sonic caused Brawl's delay and he can be unlocked before the final 3, maybe they were actually put into the game during this delay since they had extra time to add some more stuff.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
This is about as close as you can get to a Mewtwo confirmation without outright saying he's in. Now there's only two characters I have to worry about.:)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
This is what I always thought. It's unfortunate, since it leaves out a lot of generations in this selection process. From the sound of it, the Smash characters will be X and Y related, rather than from Black and White. The new Mewtwo seems to have a better chance considering it's a pokemon that's already been announced. The question is do they keep Jigglypuff and Pokemon Trainer, or even does Pokemon get another slot. I feel like if it was Pikachu, New Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, and Pokemon Trainer there would be nothing new so that would be disappointing.

Luigi player

Smash Master
you are all just denying the truth...
of course it's not a complete clone... but look at how she looks and functions. with them jumps, their body structure...
they have different moves and stuff, but jiggs is really useless and a worse Kirby.
you could say the same about Mario-Luigi, but at least it's Luigi! He's something special.

Jiggs is just one out of over 600 Pokemon, where so many good ones could be chosen instead of it.
even having blastoise in the game would be 100 times better, but that's opinion (but like I said, I'm sure almost everyone has a Pokemon they'd rather have join a SmashBros than friggin Jiggs?! It's such a troll).

just imagine scizor, hitmonlee, deoxys, or whatever else cool Pokemon there are that would fit in much better. :)

Also like Sakurai said in the interview... he chooses the Pokemon that are popular etc. Jiggs' time was long over.... it's time to finally make room for someone more interesting.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think you really understand what people mean when they call certain characters clones...

Sure Jigglypuff may have had a few similar attacks to Kirby during the Smash 64 day's. But even then she had quite a bit of differences going for her, She is anything but a clone or even a semi-clone now.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Indeed, you can't just say she's a worse Kirby just because of the body structure or jumps. Hardly any of her moves are similar to Kirby's. Plus, a good Jigglypuff player can easily win in a match as long as he/she knows what he/she is doing. All depends on skill and strategy.

Let's not try to get off topic though.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The usual barometer I use to judge if someone is a clone is their special moveset. And she shares none of her moveset with Kirby. She is not a clone.

However, her continued inclusion gives too much representation generation 1, and she has definitely faded in popularity. Her being on the show added to that, but I'm not sure if she has appeared recently. When Brawl came out she was still appearing on the show. I doubt she would be one of the pokemon that the pokemon company would suggest is hot right now.

peeup

Smash Lord
Jiggs and Kirby are so dissimilar... But everyone claiming that she is 100% guaranteed in Sm4sh is probably unaware that Jigglypuff was only added to Brawl last minute alongside TLink and Wolf, hence their absence from SSE.

Anyway, I suppose this means that I probably won't get to play as Pokemon Trainer in Sm4sh. Mewtwo/three will be a good replacement, but I would have loved both. Sadly, PT isn't "hot" now that the RBY remakes are in the past. And I think it unlikely that we'll get Mewtwo/three AND a 6th gen trainer, though I would really like that. I would prefer good ol Red to the newbie, tho.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Zoroark is a perfect fit.
Neutral B: Illusion - Transform into the opponent closest to you.
When hit, you turn back to Zoro.
Ahh.
I think you're misunderstanding what Zoroarks "illusion" powers really do, dude.

Zoroark controls illusions. He cannot physically change his form nor does he have the ability to copy/steal moves. If he takes the form of someone else, he still has the same body shape hidden behind the illusion. He only controls senses that have to do with sight and sound. If he had a move that took the form of the opponent in smash, it would only serve to look really neat. Maybe like a taunt or something.

With that said, if he was in the game his illusion ability can make for some nifty "fake out" attacks.
Doing things like

-Going temporarily invisible
-Showing an illusion of itself rushing towards the opponent, only to disappear, and reveal the real Zoroark striking from a different spot.

He also has a way more "feral" way of moving/fighting in comparison to the other pokemon that are in smash, so they can base a lot of his movements around that.

Things like that.
Also ya know.
Dark burst yo.

------

Suuuucks though.
It's starting to really look like Mewthree's gonna be the one to grab the new pokemon spot unless the pokemon company decides to keep Zoroark in the spot light a little longer.

DefenseTech

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone expect a different method?

The simplest explanation is generally the best explanation

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
Well of course popularity matters, but in this case I'm almost certain that the other three Pokemon in smash 4 aside from Pikachu are going to be Mewtwo, Genesect and Jiggs.

I just hope there are some distinctive unique individual characteristics of all the characters in this upcoming game. (Rather than cloned/similar movesets)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I feel like they could do a type of pokemon trainer thing with the starters of the Black and White series, with it being Oshawott, Servine, and Emboar. It's the same make up of the current pokemon trainer, but updated. Since Black and White 2 is still relatively recent and the Black and White games being the only one to get a direct sequel, there's still a chance that something like this might happen.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
But everyone claiming that she is 100% guaranteed in Sm4sh is probably unaware that Jigglypuff was only added to Brawl last minute alongside TLink and Wolf, hence their absence from SSE.

Um... no. Not being included in SSE does not mean they were added late into the game. Ever thought those 3 characters just didn't fit into the storyline? If you guys actually knew, the entire roster was decided at the very beginning of the production, the only character added late into the game was Sonic.

Jigglypuff is very iconic in the smash series now as well, especially with a move like rest. She takes that role of being the "joke" character that noobies like using as a punching bag, however they still give her the capabilities to actually fight (for example, if you actually know that rest is an attack). Its an element of the game that she brings in.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I also don't think we need to be a stuck with 4 characters from pokemon. It's popular enough to merit 5.
Um... no. Not being included in SSE does not mean they were added late into the game. Ever thought those 3 characters just didn't fit into the storyline? If you guys actually knew, the entire roster was decided at the very beginning of the production, the only character added late into the game was Sonic.

Jigglypuff is very iconic in the smash series now as well, especially with a move like rest. She takes that role of being the "joke" character that noobies like using as a punching bag, however they still give her the capabilities to actually fight (for example, if you actually know that rest is an attack). Its an element of the game that she brings in.
Jigglypuff could also represent the new type of pokemon, Fairy. So let's not count her out yet. She's proven people wrong with the last two games.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think Pikachu/Lucario/Genesect/Mewtwo is the perfect pokemon roster for Sm4sh tbh.
You could replace Lucario with Jiggly or a type of PKMN Trainer...but yh...Mewtwo needs to comeback RealTalk and thats not even any bias.

Top Bottom