• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much would you pay for Ultimate, piece-wise?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Pretty much everyone has expressed just how much Smash is packed into Ultimate, and how ridiculous it is. But line-by-line, just how much is it worth to you?

Smash is worth way more to most people reading this than $60. (That's not surprising--everything you buy is worth more to you than the price--that's why you buy it.) When Smash 4 was coming out, I speculated that the game was probably worth around $500-$600 to me. Beyond single-player stuff I got about 12,000 matches out of Smash 4, which would have come out to less than 5 cents per match. (This isn't counting accessories, equipment, or electricity, but also isn't counting time spent discussing, watching, or socializing around the game.)

But for Ultimate, let's start with Smash 4 (WiiU) and consider the new additions incrementally. We take out the stuff missing, but add all $45 of fighter/stage DLC and then half the Mii costume DLC. Let's also assume we get graphical updates of BF and FD for free. That's our starting point.

How much would you have paid to add each of the following to Smash 4:
(Assume that everyone else magically purchases it too--it's not just a private update for you.)
  1. Just the character-specific numerical balance changes from 4 -> Ultimate, across all 58 characters
    • Nerfs to Cloud/Diddy/Bayo, buffs to Ganon/Zelda/DDD, mixed changes to Sonic, ect.
  2. Just the character-specific QoL changes from 4 -> Ultimate, across all 58 characters
    • Shulk Monado change, side-specials that don't free-fall, Robin/Villager/Cloud GUIs, ect.
  3. All systematic core gameplay changes from 4 -> Ultimate
    • Parry shield, hybrid air dodge, dodge decay, 1v1 bonus, no base knockback rage, ect.
    • This also includes cast-wide balance changes like 3-frame jumpsquats and landing lag changes
  4. The new costumes and visual remakes
    • Includes Mario, Ganon, Zelda, Link, Yoshi, ect.
  5. Your single favorite returning fighter
    • Snake, ICs, PT, ect.
  6. All other returning fighters combined
  7. Your single favorite non-echo newcomer
  8. All 6 other non-echo newcomers combined, including Piranha Plant
  9. All 5 new echoes
  10. 3 additional N64 stages
  11. 6 additional remastered Melee stages
  12. 12 additional remastered Brawl stages
  13. 18 additional remastered 3DS stages
  14. 4 new stages
  15. Battlefield Forms of Every Stages
    • Includes Identical Omegas
  16. Stage Morph
  17. The practice stage, and additional new practice mode options
  18. 300+ new music tracks
    • Includes cross-stage song assignment
  19. 12 new items, 15 new/returning Pokemon, and 29 new/returning ATs
  20. Squad Strike and Smashdown modes
  21. Universal language switch option
  22. Updated online options
    • Such as actual spectator support, character-specific matchmaking, better option selection, ect.
  23. Spirits Events
  24. World of Light
  25. Finally fixing the name-input GUI on the CSS

As for me:
  1. Probably about $200-$300? A guarantee of several more years of Smash 4 would be worth it.
  2. Probably about another $100? Some of these QoL changes would also extent the life of the game decently.
  3. This is probably the hardest to judge. $100? This is the one that makes the least sense in isolation, but it would definitely be up there.
  4. I could see myself paying up to $20 for all of these outfits as DLC.
  5. I'd pay $30 for PT, no doubt.
  6. I's probably be willing to fork over $50 total for the 5 returning vets, $10 each. More for Snake, less for Pichu and Young Link, averages out.
  7. Probably about $25 for Piranha, it looks so fresh.
  8. Probably about $100, almost $20 each? They all looks like really solid character kits.
  9. Eh, maybe $20 total. Really not much more than outfits, but I'd still want them.
  10. $10? That's in line with what we paid for the DLC 64 stages.
  11. $20? I'd happily shell out good money for many of the Melee stages, though screw Venom.
  12. $25? There are double the Brawl stages but only a handful are really fun or engaging.
  13. $35? The 3DS stage lineup is on average pretty week. But 18 stages is 18 stages.
  14. $30? GPT looks A+. They are all premium stages, even if Moray Towers don't light my world on fire.
  15. Gosh, this one's hard. $50? It's just great for events.
  16. Eh, $5? I don't find Stage Morph super interesting in practice, but I definitely wouldn't mind having it around to play with as a curiosity.
  17. $50, easily.
  18. Tough one. $30? 10 cents a track?
  19. I'd pay $10 for new items and stuff, sure.
  20. I'd pay $100 for Squad Strike alone; Smashdown is just icing
  21. $5 and only because I have friends who would get a big kick out of having it in their favorite language
  22. I'd pay $20 but only as a sort of community donation. I just don't care about online.
  23. Hard to say. $20? Seems like a fun mini-game to kill time.
  24. Again, hard to say. $30?
  25. Infinity dollars.
That's about $1200 total, or 20x MRSP. If I play at least another 12000 matches of Ultimate, that would average out to less than a dime a match.

What about you? What would you be willing to pay for the individual advances of Ultimate?

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
At most 1 or 2 hundred.

But that's only because I don't have much disposable income and I want to play Smash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
One

Jillion

Dollars

Actually let's see. $60 for the base game, and with the fighter pass, which I know I'm gonna get, that's an additional $25. I'd honestly be willing to pay for another $5-10 worth of stuff, if they included things like extra standalone DLC stages, or maybe even a couple of extra characters.

If they made another wave of DLC fighters, I'd gladly pay the money again. But I'm not sure I could pay for more than two waves of DLC like that, I can't go around spending more than double of what a game is priced for, it wouldn't sit right with me. This is despite some fans' dreams that we get another season of fighters every year for the Switch's lifespan.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The problem with the question is that it's more constrained by how much money I have reasonably disposable versus how much the value is. If I were rich, I'd happily pay tens of thousands to play this game. I'm not so I'd probably have a hard time justifying more than about $400 despite how appealing the game is. Also over the scale of time you have the game, you have to consider the time value of money. $12000 up front for matches you play for 5 years is really a lot more money than $1200 (about $1550 based on a random calculator I found online).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Smash as a series is know for large amounts of content but I wouldn't pay more than the normal retail price. The quality of a game should influence sales not price.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Smash as a series is know for large amounts of content but I wouldn't pay more than the normal retail price. The quality of a game should influence sales not price.
I think you missed the point of this thread. We're talking about "getting your money's worth", so to speak, and how much more than your money's worth you're expecting to get out of Smash Ultimate.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, SSBU most certainly isn't a rare item, so the price it's worth to me is the price it'll be selling for, including the Fighter's Pass. If characters like Dark Samus and Ridley could only be purchased for a limited time, I'd be willing to spend some extra money. Maybe $50 for both characters. If you could pay to patch (as opposed to pay to win), I'd probably spend an extra $100 to buff my main.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think you missed the point of this thread. We're talking about "getting your money's worth", so to speak, and how much more than your money's worth you're expecting to get out of Smash Ultimate.
I think you missed the point of my post. I'm expecting to get the retail price, for the sake of simplicity let's call it $60 out of the game. If it had less content I'd still expect to get $60 out of the game. However, the reason I chose to spend my $60 on this game is the series is known for both quality and quantity of content. The game is weighed against other $60 games not against its own potential. Every game should strive to be its best as the same price tag.

I g2g; I'll finish this later.

Edit, Okay, I'm home now. I'm a 'Maximizer' as opposed to a 'Satisficer'. I consider games like smash to set the standard, not exceed it. Games should have the quality of smash and I deduct points if they lack it. This applies to most things. I also factor in how reasonable it is to pay for a videogame. Sure developers could make massive games that cost several hundred dollars but it would not be a smart market. Especially as my microwave just burnt out and I had to spend my extra money buying a new one :glare:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom