• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much would a Meta Knight Ban effect Sheik?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So as we all know Meta knight is either Sheik hardest or one of most difficult and common match up’s that Sheik players have to face. Well because of the “The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread v2” I’ve decide to make a thread not talking about should Meta knight be banned but what would happen if he did get banned. This discussion should be mainly aimed towards Sheik but talking about difficult match up’s such as Mario becoming more popular and more commonly used in a tournament scene or something to that nature is of course acceptable.

Anyways what I think will most likely happen is that a lot of the meta knights players are going to switch to Snake since he’s for the most part regarded as the second best character in the game. This will cause a even larger boom in Snake reputation in the tournament scene for at least little while and even though it wont be as bad as meta knight since Snake has many weak points he will become the new “meta knight” in a sense. Because of that characters who do good against Snake in general will of course become more widely used and will have a higher chance of ranking higher in tournaments. This in turn would mean a shift in position on the tier list. Luckily for us Sheik has a decent match up against Snake.

That or a good deal of meta knights player will look for the next best thing after meta knight in terms of gimping and unstoppable gayness and switch to Sheik ^-^ which would make me chuckle.

ADHD

Smash Hero
it wouldn't matter sheik still has her tough matchups and metaknight shouldn't be her worst worry as long as theres the ice climbers

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Meh, Ice climber mains are not very common and with all seriousness I don't seem Ice climbers even as much as a threat when I compare them to someone like a Gay and watch or Meta knight since you can just switch to Zelda if you are having troubles. I guess you could say the same for Meta Knight but the switch in match up advantage is definitely more obvious for Ice climbers.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I already main Ice Climbers so... That kind of reduces my Sheik's worst matchup :p

And if Meta Knight doese get banned somehow, I guess my sheik would do quite a bit better.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Obviously It'd be a good thing. MK is always going to be Shiek's worst problem, IC players are very rare and if we do come across one we've got Zelda. Mk on the other hand is the most popular tournament character (in my experience) and it's a steep uphill battle against him. A ban would only help Shiek, seeing as (as Tristan correctly said) most MK users would gravitate towards Snake, who Shiek can deal with much easier, though its still no walk in the park.

G&W would probably also see a steep climp in popularity seeing as he's the closest thing to MK in terms of playstyle to character quality.

Don't even consider a ban yet, going by that mentality Snake should've been banned during that era. If things persist in this way then maybe, but not yet.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well Blister what I'm really afraid of is a new demon would raise and take Meta knight place of Sheik most common worst match up that could in turn be even less favorable then meta knight ....Someone like Luigi. I mean He's **** good and completely underused, **** hard to combo and approach at least that's what I've notice from fight like two non main Luigi users(I'm being hypercritical it might be someone else like gay or watch or something). If a meta knight ban does in fact take place (most likely if ever less then year or so from now) Everything is going to change and if we aren't careful all the characters who up till then have been having their faces shoved into the mud large in part because of the high meta knight turn out we could get left in the dust and easily drop down to low tier.

Yes, banning Meta Knight could and will help Sheik but will it help someone below us more?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Well, people who I see the MK ban helping as much or more then Shiek would be:

Ice Climbers (...****)
Olimar (argh)
Game and Watch (IMO would become the new MK)
Marth (at 60:40, MK is still his worst matchup, Marth is atm under rated and under used and without MK his only bad matchup would be Snake which is 55:45)
Sonic
Luigi (As you stated already, but I think Shiek with Zelda can cope with him, solo Shiek is **** hard though).

Hmm, you've given me an interesting new perspective, I was thinking about purely Shiek. However even with all these taken into account, I think Shiek would still benefit from a MK ban overall.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This would barely affect me because there is only one good Meta Knight player in my state. However, I'm more concerned with the ICs and G&W matchups for Sheik than I am with Meta Knight. The again, I also play Marth, so I guess it's not much of a problem.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Metaknight players don't only main him because he is ultra tier. And if he gets banned like in Italy, they are going to switch to a character who is controlled in a similar way, thus Dedede, Kirby, or Pit. I am worrying more about Luigi, like Tristan. His aerial game is too good for him to have serious problems against an edgeguarding Sheik. Gah, I should learn how to properly use Zelda, just in case of encountering Iceys or G&W...

Comment: So I heard Ankoku likes touhou?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Sheik/Zelda's only two solid counters are MK and G&W.

Whoever said G&W would become the new top tier is correct. He does have more disadvantages in certain matchups than MK, though. For example Diddy Kong and a well-strategized Snake can beat G&W, while sometimes they can't beat MK.

Anyway, whoever bans MK is dumb because people can still **** MK, they're just not trying hard enough.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Toon Link? Trust me, that is wrong.
I faced G&W today with Sheik. I did so well and then he gets an easy kill at 80% with his infernal D-Smash...
*overused meme*
Melee Sheik for SSB4!

@Kawaii: No, Aya.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Aya is better than Remilia but Marisa is the best ^_^

popsofctown

Smash Champion
an MK ban wouldn't help Sheik that much. Mr. Game and Watch would still cause so much pain...

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
I always thought the Ice Climbers were hard to beat if you can't get rid of Nana soon.
Snake proved me wrong. Juggling them with grenades and mortar shells is epic fun!
Sheik has a hard time fighting against Iceys by the way. If her tilts don't hit both Iceys, Nana is going to counter. And that's the problem. She has to rely on racking up damage to win. At least edgeguarding against Iceys is fairly easy...

@Ankoku: Since when is Scarlet Weather Rhapsody translated? o.o"

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Gah. x_x
Someone told me it was unbalanced.

LulzOnTawpic:
Chain Lock does not work! >=o
Cursed Diddy almost two stocked me with his uber advanced teching.
Where am I getting at?
Simply banning Metaknight won't do anything for Sheik.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I always thought the Ice Climbers were hard to beat if you can't get rid of Nana soon.
Snake proved me wrong. Juggling them with grenades and mortar shells is epic fun!
Sheik has a hard time fighting against Iceys by the way. If her tilts don't hit both Iceys, Nana is going to counter. And that's the problem. She has to rely on racking up damage to win. At least edgeguarding against Iceys is fairly easy...

@Ankoku: Since when is Scarlet Weather Rhapsody translated? o.o"
Omg you play SWR? What's with Shieks and Touhou? @__@

I'm downloading it again right now. I had to do a system restore so all of my files were gone.

On Topic: Game and Watch and Metaknight are still gay.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
I mentioned it after seeing Ankoku's touhou related sig.
...Come to think of it, Sheik could be a character from the game as well...

ON TOPIC!
G&W is not gay. You would laugh if you knew what happened to my buddy's G&W facing Olimar.
And he does play an outstanding G&W. Overpowered? Yes. Cheap? No. Gay? Who knows, it's freaking 2D!
Sheik's Up-B approves do G&W's D-Air by the way.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sheik/Zelda's only two solid counters are MK and G&W.

Whoever said G&W would become the new top tier is correct. He does have more disadvantages in certain matchups than MK, though. For example Diddy Kong and a well-strategized Snake can beat G&W, while sometimes they can't beat MK.

Anyway, whoever bans MK is dumb because people can still **** MK, they're just not trying hard enough.
I was going to post something but looks like chokonater beat me to everything I was going to say.

the difference between MK and ICs is that if Sheik presses down B, MK becomes easier but still difficult. Ice climbers just get destroyed by zelda.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
G&W isn't even close to as great.

He has a clearly disadvantageous matchup against at least two high tier characters, and isn't nearly as overused as MK.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
lol theres like a sub-topic here which i'm clueless about...

anyways i don't think an MK ban would help Sheik any more than other chars but it is interesting to think about how things would change

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Don't get ftilted, punish every roll or spotdodge with a dsmash, and edgehog her all the time.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I honestly think Luigi will be the character who will rise the most in the coming years. He's already "MetaKnight Lite", so if you take MK out of the picture, Luigi will control the skies.

It's pretty much impossible to juggle him with that nair, he has at least 4 moves that have extremely good priority.

One of the few characters in Brawl that is blessed with legitimate combos. Basic Luigi stategies include dair-nair-utilt-utilt-usmash for a quick 45%. The thing with Luigi is that your opponent is either in combo percentage or kill percentage. Once he gets his opponent to 60%, all he needs is a jab to a firepunch.

To be honest, Luigi scares me thats why i've picked him up............I don't want to be one of the ones who gets caught unprepared in the future.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I honestly think Luigi will be the character who will rise the most in the coming years. He's already "MetaKnight Lite", so if you take MK out of the picture, Luigi will control the skies.

It's pretty much impossible to juggle him with that nair, he has at least 4 moves that have extremely good priority.

One of the few characters in Brawl that is blessed with legitimate combos. Basic Luigi stategies include dair-nair-utilt-utilt-usmash for a quick 45%. The thing with Luigi is that your opponent is either in combo percentage or kill percentage. Once he gets his opponent to 60%, all he needs is a jab to a firepunch.

To be honest, Luigi scares me thats why i've picked him up............I don't want to be one of the ones who gets caught unprepared in the future.
Are you serious? Luigi gets ***** by anyone with the range to keep him out of range.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Tell that characters who have slow aerial attacks.
Poor Snake...But that's why we have ground based metagame, right? ;D

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Would a metaknight ban really effect sheik at all? I mean sure we won't be having to fight the little bugger, but I don't really see it effecting anything as far as tournaments go. I could understand if metaknight was sheik's only problematic match-up, but I'm sure there are more. There will still be too many characters match-ups to worry about, even if metaknight was gone.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
with a capable Zelda/Sheik. there are 2 bad matchups: G&W and MK.... that's big.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Are you serious? Luigi gets ***** by anyone with the range to keep him out of range.
What characters are you referring to? Marth, ROB...........those types?
I misworded my statement, I don't think he will rise to the top.......i'm saying he would rise the most in the coming years and would benefit greatly from a MK ban.

As for Sheik, if you take MK out of the picture the only matchup where your at a huge disadvantage is G&W. G&W isn't even near as bad as MK though(With Zelda it's only 40:60) so we might possibly see Sheik sneak into the bottom of high tier before it's all said and done.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
No...Just no...The Tier List is not based on characters who do well or bad against Metaknight.
Sheik won't move a single spot upwards to high tier only because Metaknight is banned.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
No...Just no...The Tier List is not based on characters who do well or bad against Metaknight.
Sheik won't move a single spot upwards to high tier only because Metaknight is banned.
The logic here is that with MK out of the picture, G&W is the really only horrible matchup. Since Sheik players won't be facing MK, they will be performing better in tournaments......get it?

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Then say that and don't babble about tier list changes. =P

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Then say that and don't babble about tier list changes. =P
*sigh*, if Sheik is doing better in tournaments, then she will move up the tier list.........think every once in a while ok?

Top Bottom