• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much would a Meta Knight Ban effect Sheik?

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Ok I will try to think now: It does not make any sense that Sheik is going to be higher placed in the character tier list because she is placing higher in tournaments. Metaknight is banned, Sheik will have one big threat less to worry about, thus she is going to be placed higher when it comes to tournament results. That does not mean that her metagame improves, or that she has less disadvantageous match-ups.

Character Tier List =/= Tournament Tier List (<--Is that what you were mixing up which confused me?)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Another thing to think about is what will happen to characters who are good against meta knight?

If a meta knight ban does in fact happen some characters such as ....say Zamus could drop in the tier list instead of raise because they will no longer have a good match up on a top tier character that rarely anyone has.

Right now I think Meta knight isn't necessary "completely ****** the meta game" as Sonic The Hedgedawg more or less said but instead defines it. Of course charters who are good such as snake and gay and watch also help defines who improves the fastest but meta knight has the largest effect on the scene since he's the most used and most feared of the three.

edit: -Zure-
tournament results effect the tier list and tire list positioning effect tournament results.

They effect each other by more people using higher tier characters in hope in placing better in tournaments. This cause the characters to appear more often and have higher odds of placing higher then say someone who uses bottom tier.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ok I will try to think now: It does not make any sense that Sheik is going to be higher placed in the character tier list because she is placing higher in tournaments. Metaknight is banned, Sheik will have one big threat less to worry about, thus she is going to be placed higher when it comes to tournament results. That does not mean that her metagame improves, or that she has less disadvantageous match-ups.

Character Tier List =/= Tournament Tier List (<--Is that what you were mixing up which confused me?)
The tier list is somewhat based off of success in tournaments.......that is what defines the metagame, pro players using a character to the fullest extent.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
The tier list is somewhat based off of success in tournaments.......that is what defines the metagame, pro players using a character to the fullest extent.
You're right. I just don't think that Sheik will move drastically upwards only because of Metaknight's "death". And if she does moves up, then Marth would become top tier since he has the advantage against G&W and Falco, a neutral match-up against D3, and only the regular disadvantage against R.O.B. and Snake. So if other characters move upwards because of Metaknight's ban, would Sheik's higher placing be of any real effect in the end?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, because tier placement is a result of character performance, not the other way around.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You're right. I just don't think that Sheik will move drastically upwards only because of Metaknight's "death". And if she does moves up, then Marth would become top tier since he has the advantage against G&W and Falco, a neutral match-up against D3, and only the regular disadvantage against R.O.B. and Snake. So if other characters move upwards because of Metaknight's ban, would Sheik's higher placing be of any real effect in the end?
I said bottom of high tier, not that she would become among the best in the game.

-Zure-

Smash Cadet
Yes, that would be a direct change from bottom mid-tier to bottom high-tier. The thing which keeps me from believing that it might actually happen, is that Zelda, the alternate form of Sheik, is placed above Sheik. Then there are Toon Link, Zamus, Luigi, and Wolf. Especially Toon Link. He has overall less disadvantageous match-ups than Sheik and far more advantageous ones. If we assume that some characters will be placed higher in the tier list because of Metaknight's ban, Sheik won't have any space left in the high-tier list. Maybe she will actually be almost top of the mid-tiers, but as mentioned, there are still characters who won't let her change to high-tier happen.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda/Sheik would also become ridiculouly good.

Zelda's biggest problems in the high teirs are marth, G&W and meta. against everyone else up there she's about even or better.

and with Sheik in the wings, she makes G&W semi manageable and marth even.

if you take out meta, G&W suddenly becomes zelda/sheik's only bad matchup.

Top Bottom