• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many upset gamers do you expect when the game releases

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm starting to think some people are setting expectations up too high, they assume that because Ridley and K Rool got in, they assume the next character they deem most popular is a guarantee without us actually knowing who truly did well in the ballot, all we have are best guesses based on much smaller sample sizes.

People always set expectations too high

Sakurai said the final dlc characters would be pure fan service, many were dissapointed at Corrin and Bayonetta

The final roster leaks and people look at this unrelated leak and blank spots as evidence of more characters, characters who just so happen to be a bunch of fan favourites.

Don't get me started on Brawl.

We might already be seeing the start of this, 103 stages. There's so much debate if this is the final number not. Depending on who you ask, some might say people are being idiotic and there are obviously more stages. Others will say people are in denial.

I think people are really setting themselves up for disappointment, including every favourite is impossible, temper you expectations. Be prepared that your favourite character might not make it in

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
There’s always disappointment. But honestly after the DLC, I was very happy with the Smash 4 roster. Corrin and Bayonetta weren’t the best, but Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Cloud? Nobody ever expected a fighting game roster of this magnitude before, and just looking at the DLC rundown video recently, it made me realize that the DLC cycle for Ultimate will be absolutely insane. I have no doubt that, even if there are some disappointing absences, the roster for this game truly will be ultimate when all is said and done.

I also have to say that the jankiest roster by far is Melee’s, and it’s the most beloved game. Brawl was disappointing at the time, but the roster was a huge improvement in comparison, and probably makes the most “sense” out of all of them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As someone who loved Bayonetta: People keep being disappointed with rosters because everyone convinces themselves 'fanservice' MUST please them.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think the disappointment will come from the roster this time, everyone is back and the absolutely most wanted characters have been included too. Of course there will be some disappointments when we see the final thing, but I think it'll be more fragmented as the characters left don't have these megaton fanbases, and as such major criticism of the roster will blow over fairly quickly in comparison to Brawl and Smash 4. DLC being exclusively newcomers will also help in this regard, there will always be hope as long as fans make their voices heard, with Smash 4 we didn't even know if DLC was even going to happen and how it would be done, while I think pretty much everyone assumes it will now, and I expect we'll get a confirmation that it will happen alongside the final roster presentation.

The thing I worry the most about, as I've said on other threads, is if Spirits doesn't turn out to be another SSE. I'm maybe not so concerned about here on Smashboards in that regard, but mostly on more general gaming sites. Reddit for example will for sure lose their heads if it isn't SSE v2.0, they fully expect it and any theories that support that hits the subreddit's frontpage immediately (they argued that ****ing ladder attacks meant we'd get a story mode). Big Youtubers will for sure voice their displeasure too as so many reaction videos have them shouting "SUBSPACE!" at every trailer, and when they voice an opinion it tends to spread like wildfire, no matter how wrong they might be.

I really don't think Spirits actually is a story mode, so I'm prepared for the unfair ****storm the mode will get, regardless of what it even actually is. Like, even if it's a Melee-style Adventure Mode it won't be accepted, because it's still not what people want.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think the disappointment will come from the roster this time, everyone is back and the absolutely most wanted characters have been included too. Of course there will be some disappointments when we see the final thing, but I think it'll be more fragmented as the characters left don't have these megaton fanbases, and as such major criticism of the roster will blow over fairly quickly in comparison to Brawl and Smash 4. DLC being exclusively newcomers will also help in this regard, there will always be hope as long as fans make their voices heard, with Smash 4 we didn't even know if DLC was even going to happen and how it would be done, while I think pretty much everyone assumes it will now, and I expect we'll get a confirmation that it will happen alongside the final roster presentation.

The thing I worry the most about, as I've said on other threads, is if Spirits doesn't turn out to be another SSE. I'm maybe not so concerned about here on Smashboards in that regard, but mostly on more general gaming sites. Reddit for example will for sure lose their heads if it isn't a story mode, they fully expect it and any theories that support that it will be hits the subreddit's frontpage immediately (they argued that ****ing ladder attacks meant we'd get a story mode). Big Youtubers will for sure voice their displeasure too as so many reaction videos have them shouting "SUBSPACE" at every trailer, and when they voice an opinion it tends to spread like wildfire.

I really don't think Spirits actually is a story mode, so I'm prepared for the unfair ****storm the mode will get, regardless of what it even actually is. Like, even if it's a Melee-style Adventure Mode it won't be accepted, because it's still not what people want.
I don't think an SSE 2 is possible and it would be a shame if new mode gets flack for not being it.

However, I would be salty if Melee's Adventure Mode is the secret mode. I mean, say whatever you like about Smash Tour, at least it was something different than a reskinned Classic Mode.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think an SSE 2 is possible and it would be a shame if new mode gets flack for not being it.

However, I would be salty if Melee's Adventure Mode is the secret mode. I mean, say whatever you like about Smash Tour, at least it was something different than a reskinned Classic Mode.
I don't think it's possible either, but people just don't have that sort of perspective during Smash speculation, they don't understand the ridiculous amount of workload it took to develop SSE, which would only be much greater now with the heavily expanded roster. It's just how the Smash fanbase works, if it's not exactly what they expected they're going to take it out on what they got instead, whether it's justified or not.

I don't think Spirits will be an Adventure Mode either, I think it'll be something completely new, and it'll be our primary way to unlock characters. I wonder how they could make a mode like that and still give us an incentive to keep playing it after everyone is unlocked, but I'm sure that if that's how it works then they'll have figured something out.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Almost everyone watched the trailers or speculated about the game beforehand is upset about something when the game officially releases.

- Everyone probably wants their favorite character and/or stage to be in the game and will be fairly sad if that's not the case.
- Fans of the Subspace Emissary are going to be disappointed if the supposed "Spirits" mode isn't a fully developed story mode.
- Many Smash Melee players will be outraged about the fact that the game isn't Smash Melee for the third time.
- Many competitive players will eventually see a tier list and not be happy if their main isn't at least A tier and will be especially hurt if they're bottom tier.
- In my case, I would be upset if the current Character and Stage Select Screen's organization is still forced down my throat come time for official release.

Everyone will find something to be upset about. That's pretty much a fact at this point given what we seen with the past four Smash games. At least nobody can be upset that their favorite veteran was cut unlike Smash Brawl and Smash 4. Thank god :ultsnake: and :ulticeclimbers: are back by the way.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Almost everyone watched the trailers or speculated about the game beforehand is upset about something when the game officially releases.

- Everyone probably wants their favorite character and/or stage to be in the game and will be fairly sad if that's not the case.
- Fans of the Subspace Emissary are going to be disappointed if the supposed "Spirits" mode isn't a fully developed story mode.
- Many Smash Melee players will be outraged about the fact that the game isn't Smash Melee for the third time.
- Many competitive players will eventually see a tier list and not be happy if their main isn't at least A tier and will be especially hurt if they're bottom tier.
- In my case, I would be upset if the current Character and Stage Select Screen's organization is still forced down my throat come time for official release.

Everyone will find something to be upset about. That's pretty much a fact at this point given what we seen with the past four Smash games. At least nobody can be upset that their favorite veteran was cut unlike Smash Brawl and Smash 4. Thank god :ultsnake: and :ulticeclimbers: are back by the way.
Yeah, last thing I want to deal with is when they try to force the stage list to be as small as possible for tourneys (which I tend to watch if I'm bored), especially since there is now no real excuse (thanks to standardized BF and FD forms along with hazard toggle) other than "it's how it's always been" (Pretty sure I remember 4-5 stages in Brawl getting banned just to keep Meta Knight legal which had the adverse affect of making the Ice Climbers broken once their counterpicks got banned).

Edit: Mistook a part for Tourney stage rulesets and tier lists when it was about the chronological order thing.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I already got my #1 pick, plus an even better VERSION of my #1 pick, Simon and Richter. So if I get nothing else I actually want, I'll still be pleased with the game as it is now.

Though it sure as hell won't stop me from still wanting more stuff.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon

Yeah, last thing I want to deal with is when they try to force the stage list to be as small as possible for tourneys (which I tend to watch if I'm bored), especially since there is now no real excuse (thanks to standardized BF and FD forms along with hazard toggle) other than "it's how it's always been" (Pretty sure I remember 4-5 stages in Brawl getting banned just to keep Meta Knight legal which had the adverse affect of making the Ice Climbers broken once their counterpicks got banned)
I don't think I understand what you're saying about my quote. I'm not trying to be hostile, I just don't understand what you're saying here.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Having no cuts will help the backfire against the game. Some of the biggest complaints against Smash 4 and Brawl were the cuts. Smash 4's mistake was limiting the Wii U version to keep it the same as the 3DS version.

I agree that Spirits is likely not SSE2 but I do believe it will be an epic single player experience, likely in the vein of what we got with Melee but slightly upgraded.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Having no cuts will help the backfire against the game. Some of the biggest complaints against Smash 4 and Brawl were the cuts. Smash 4's mistake was limiting the Wii U version to keep it the same as the 3DS version.

I agree that Spirits is likely not SSE2 but I do believe it will be an epic single player experience, likely in the vein of what we got with Melee but slightly upgraded.
I think keeping character roster in both versions was a smart decision. 3DS version made up the majority of the sells.

You don't want your biggest consumer base to feel cheated for supporting one version.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I don't think I understand what you're saying about my quote. I'm not trying to be hostile, I just don't understand what you're saying here.
Crap, mistook the stage organization for the stage legality thing and not the fact that they were ordered chronologically,

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The disappointment for the Smash Ultimate roster won't be that big compared to previous games, especially as all the biggest roster omission complaints are already covered.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Crap, mistook the stage organization for the stage legality thing and not the fact that they were ordered chronologically,
It's fine. It happens to the best of us sometimes. Although, I do kind of agree.

Hazard toggle can turn off features of so many stages that are devastating to tournament legality. There's not much excuse this time around for trying to keep the roster down to just five stages. I can see a combined total of 20 or more stages being legals or counterpicks this time around.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
"Can't please everyone"

It's inevitable that there will be some disappointed in the final product. In my case if the game were to release now I\d be satisfied, but I know there will still be some who will be upset about a few additions/exclusions that have happened so far because everyone's different.

It's only natural to set unrealistic expectations because that's what people do.

Then you got the Waluigi fans. LOL

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
You can’t complain too too much with everyone back, and besides Ridley and King K deserved to be in Smash for a long time now more than anyone else.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, as most people already pointed out, I don't think there'll be that many characters disappointed with the character choices. In my personal opinion, I'm (as of yet) mostly just a bit disappointed with the lack of Yoshi support; or rather what it gets in comparison to other Mario side-series DK. I'd be happy if the Yoshi series even got so much as a Poochy assist trophy but I just don't see it happening.

But that said, I'm still really happy with how this game is shaping up so far and with the sheer amount of content we ARE getting, and it just seems silly to me to even complain about something as (relatively) small as a Mario side-series (much as I love said side-series) not getting the representation I personally think it would deserve. Sadly, not everyone will think this way, and there will probably be some people who will absolutely nail this game into the ground for not being exactly what they wanted it to be. Some people just cannot be pleased, that's just how it goes, especially in the Smash community.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Why care? I don't understand why people are so concerned with other people not being 100% on the same page. Like everyone will be a little disappointed in specific areas, whether it be one character or feature that is missing from their personal wishlist, but not enough to make them disappointed with the game as a whole.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Why care? I don't understand why people are so concerned with other people not being 100% on the same page. Like everyone will be a little disappointed in specific areas, whether it be one character or feature that is missing from their personal wishlist, but not enough to make them disappointed with the game as a whole.
You underestimate some people's (read: entitled brats') inability to keep a cool head when not 100% satisfied.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You underestimate some people's (read: entitled brats') inability to keep a cool head when not 100% satisfied.
I really don't. It's kinda getting old to say, but it's just a loud minority that only complains.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to think some people are setting expectations up too high, they assume that because Ridley and K Rool got in, they assume the next character they deem most popular is a guarantee without us actually knowing who truly did well in the ballot, all we have are best guesses based on much smaller sample sizes.

People always set expectations too high

Sakurai said the final dlc characters would be pure fan service, many were dissapointed at Corrin and Bayonetta

The final roster leaks and people look at this unrelated leak and blank spots as evidence of more characters, characters who just so happen to be a bunch of fan favourites.

Don't get me started on Brawl.

We might already be seeing the start of this, 103 stages. There's so much debate if this is the final number not. Depending on who you ask, some might say people are being idiotic and there are obviously more stages. Others will say people are in denial.

I think people are really setting themselves up for disappointment, including every favourite is impossible, temper you expectations. Be prepared that your favourite character might not make it in
zero.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Fans get hyped: part of hype culture is disappointment. It helps be used to this bipolarity.

That said- Sakurai did say that the DLC characters would be fan service: and even then time it should have been apparent, neither Corrin nor Bayonetta were ballot fan service.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fans get hyped: part of hype culture is disappointment. It helps be used to this bipolarity.

That said- Sakurai did say that the DLC characters would be fan service: and even then time it should have been apparent, neither Corrin nor Bayonetta were ballot fan service.
Bayonetta at least scored high in ballot. Saying Not fan service for her would be ignoring a lot of people did wanted her in the game.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Bayo was popular for sure, still don't think she won anything, but I'm confident she was at least top 10/20 in the ballot. Corrin being fanservice is laughable though, but tbf I'm also pretty sure the whole "final DLC will be fanservice" was a mistranslation.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Bayo was popular for sure, still don't think she won anything, but I'm confident she was at least top 10/20 in the ballot. Corrin being fanservice is laughable though, but tbf I'm also pretty sure the whole "final DLC will be fanservice" was a mistranslation.
I mean wasn't Corrin added more or less to promote Fates (which resulted in more jokes and memes about Chrom during the memetic loser phase)?

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
For me at this point with characters like Ridley, Dark Samus, K. Rool, Inkling, freaking Castlevania making a debut with Simon and Richter it would be impossible to disappoint me, this game already went beyond the previous one.

Honestly whoever is the next character revealed it would be a big surprise since the two most wanted ones are already in the game, and the next one is not easy to predict.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Based on what we've seen Ultimate is already better than every other Smash. The only way it could backfire is if it's somehow more competitively unviable than Brawl, which I don't think is possible.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Based on what we've seen Ultimate is already better than every other Smash. The only way it could backfire is if it's somehow more competitively unviable than Brawl, which I don't think is possible.
Highly subjective

volbound1700

Smash Master
The disappointment for the Smash Ultimate roster won't be that big compared to previous games, especially as all the biggest roster omission complaints are already covered.
Huh? It is already larger than any roster in Smash history? Do you mean not as many newcomers? In many ways you can consider Snake, Wolf, Pichu, Young Link, and Ice Climbers as newcomers. So far we have Inklings, Daisy, Ridley, Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K Rool with more to come. I say the roster is already amazing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lots. The salt is still strong with Waluigi and Ashley. At least the latter deserves a spot as she actually starred in main games. Sakurai even admits these "fans" only wants Waluigi for the meme.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This really baffles me when the game has already a legendary group of new and returning characters.
IKR? Sakurai has given us the likes of freakin K. Rool and Ridley of all characters and yet they're still clamoring for Waluigi who isn't even that interesting to begin with nor has any importance going for him due to starring in spin-off sports games and hasn't even appeared in the WarioWare games. :rolleyes:

People should be grateful we're getting this game and how much Sakurai is pouring his out on this. Man doesn't need to be harassed and threatened over one character. These people shouldn't even be considered fans for that matter.

I guess no matter the characters you apparently can't please everyone...

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, you cant please everyone so there’s always going to be a “Waluigi”
Character (...just so happens this time it is him).

There is a lot of bandwagoning and not much logic in speculation - which is what I think what is going to disappoint people with this game ultimately.

It is not going to be the fact that the game is actually disappointing across the board, but because people set expectations that couldn’t be met to begin with...resulting in crushed dreams, bad attitudes and disappointment. Sakurai and the team are giving us so much great content with this game already - they aren’t actively trying to disappoint the fan base, in fact - everything they are doing show it’s the opposite.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Bayonetta at least scored high in ballot. Saying Not fan service for her would be ignoring a lot of people did wanted her in the game.
No, she didn't. They began working on her around the time the Ballot started and only had the Ballot: https://twitter.com/KuroganeHammer/status/794309358494453760
Bayonetta and Cloud specifically had data in place as early as patch 1.0.6: https://twitter.com/Ruben_dal/status/1013925354682101760
And keep in mind, patches need time to be vetted and tested before being put out (and as we saw with the Roy and Ryu update, are often sitting on the servers several days in advance).

Also, there's this bit that was outright posted by a mod here: https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/

Literally everything points to Bayonetta having jack to do with the Ballot; the final wave of DLC was a meme character and two pieces of marketing. Not exactly what one would call "fanservice" by any stretch; the whole Ballot deal and final Smash stream is just a horrendously ****ty piece of PR now. At least K. Rool/in all likelihood the actual ballot winner made it in.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I mean there will probably be some people, some of whom may just be salty over so and so not making it in over other fighters or if there is not an adventure mode, but i feel like what we have seen so far has been really impressive and as long they execute it right then hopefully most people will have there expectations met, especially if most expected unannounced things return and a surprise or 2 left would not hurt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom