• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many upset gamers do you expect when the game releases

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think that we won't be getting a lot more characters in the base games but will have some big splashes in the DLC.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
You can't please everyone. There will be cry babies whining about Goku, Master Chief, etc not making the cut and then you have the people who think the game is meh, regardless of how much content Sakurai puts into it.

The demo looks waayy better than smash 4 in terms of gameplay so I don't know how it's possible for ultimate to not succeed. Having a game that's better than smash 4 and with an insane amount of characters and stages? My expectations are high but they've also already been met.

Only way Sakurai could screw this up is slowing down the gameplay, adding tripping, and buffing rage.

Last edited:

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I think if the remainder of the top requested characters get in (Geno, Banjo, Isaac, etc), people won’t have much to complain about. Overall, it’s already looking great in every way.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
All of the gamers will be UPSET!
Every gamer on the world!!

EVERYONE IS UPSET

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Eh, my disappointment usually pertains to certain characters that got in (I'm still not keen on Cloud or Chrom for example, but it's whatever), and that will always be there though I will eventually settle down which will take time... of course this is true to many people and we can't do anything about it.
The other disappointment that actually worries me is about the game's balance. Considering the roster is larger than ever, balance will be harder as well. It's true that there will always be a top tier and such, but as long as they aren't completely absurd (like Brawl's MK, prepatch Diddy or Bayo in s4), or if they somehow are, there'd be patches to help tone em down, then I won't be as disappointed.

Then there's the characters people want to main, but the characters may not live up to their expectations. That'll always be there too. For the last 2 reasons, I'm waiting for like a year after the game is released to see what direction it's going as far as the competitive routine develops.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There will be people upset about the roster as always, missing this chracter and that. I’ll be upset if Geno and/or Isaac don’t get in for all of five minutes, and then move on realizing that oh yeah:

I got my first (Ridley), second (King K Rool), and most wanted third party (Simon) included, my most wanted veteran (Wolf) and Snake back. I also fell in love with Splatoon 2 over the summer so Inklings became a hell of a lot more exciting to me. And then I got pretty much every stage I wanted back in Fountain of Dreams, Gamer, Brinstar Depths, and freaking Hannenbow of all things.

This comes from a guy who was pretty much expecting a Smash 4 port plus a couple stages, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and maybe 2-3 characters at most...

Though realistically the biggest two issues at this point that might be a little bit more legitimate are single player and online. I think the individually designed classic mode and the potential for the Spirits mode mostly help put that notion to bed, though it could still not be enough for some people (I don’t care, I’ll play against CPUs for hours anyway and never complain).

If the online fails to be a step up from Smash 4 in regards to quality assurance, I could see that being a very real problem though and a place where the game would inevitably lose points.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I think it's inevitable at this point that I'm going to be disappointed, but not by characters. Unlike with Smash 4, all the characters I want this time are longshots (with the possible exception of Linkle), so I'm not really expecting much from that department. Additionally, it's highly unlikely that Sakurai is going to **** up the movesets of the returning characters I like playing as, so I'm still going to at least have a fun time, even if that fun time is only slightly better than Smash 4 due to a more diverse enemy and location pool to pick from.

No, my disappointment is probably going to stem from the extra stuff.
  • Yeah, I'll admit it, a lack of good singleplayer content would be pretty crumby.
  • There will always be the threat of stage creator being gone for good, and even if it does come back, there's a very likely possibility that it has exactly the same problems that Smash 4's stage builder has (or the less likely scenario of it going back to the brawl stage builder, which would be utterly pathetic).
  • Additionally, it's very likely that the game won't let me upload replays of matches exceeding 2-3 minutes like Smash 4 did, which is going to be a huge bummer.
  • If they bring back any kind of RPG stats system (stickers in brawl, custom moves and parts in smash 4), I'm going to vomit at the state that video games have become.
  • If we could just copypaste the Mii system from Smash 4, just with all the outfits unlocked from the get-go, and without the custom parts, mii-size-results-in-wonky-stats, and not playable online, that'd be alright.

Thread said:
Bayo and Corrin aren't fanservice
idk about that, folks. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would be more than willing to spend an evening with one of those two, if you catch my drift. ;)

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Just make online play less laggy and everything will be fine. Also please make Chrom and King K. Rool good.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I expect precisely 7, because that's how many real Waluigi fans there are. Oh, and 8, because I'm upset Shrek isn't in the game.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
I expect the opposite to happen, with old players like myself who haven't played videogames in years to come back, blinded by nostalgia. I've seen enough of the game to know that I'm going to enjoy it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Smash 4 DLC was disappointing because no one wanted Corrin, and the Ballot was rigged lol.

The others were pretty random but went over well with most, esp Ryu and Cloud.

I hope Sakurai keeps using the ballot as a reference, and not toss random characters at us again. Ridley, K. Rool, Chrom, Simon were all wanted by most from what I've seen, while a good amount wanted Daisy and Dark Samus, so it seems he's learned his lesson.

I feel for anyone who actually thinks Bayo won the ballot, or that she was the only "realizable" character with a ton of votes, maybe ZSS and Wario aren't enough sex appeal? D:

As for this game, it's already perfect, anything else is icing on the cake. All characters returning is all i really wanted.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
To me Smash 4's weakness was the lack of a good single player mode. Both the Classic and the Smash Tour were not as good as what I had seen in the past. Not to mention the cuts to make it work on the 3DS. Interestingly, Sakurai & team have had more time to focus just on this game with the same team and he is not held up by technical limitations. This is why this game is looking to be Ultimate.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Eh, my disappointment usually pertains to certain characters that got in (I'm still not keen on Cloud or Chrom for example, but it's whatever), and that will always be there though I will eventually settle down which will take time... of course this is true to many people and we can't do anything about it.
The other disappointment that actually worries me is about the game's balance. Considering the roster is larger than ever, balance will be harder as well. It's true that there will always be a top tier and such, but as long as they aren't completely absurd (like Brawl's MK, prepatch Diddy or Bayo in s4), or if they somehow are, there'd be patches to help tone em down, then I won't be as disappointed.

Then there's the characters people want to main, but the characters may not live up to their expectations. That'll always be there too. For the last 2 reasons, I'm waiting for like a year after the game is released to see what direction it's going as far as the competitive routine develops.
I'm not too worried about the balancing because of how smash 4 came out. Competitively, there are far more viable characters in smash 4 than any other smash before and mind you they were making a 3ds port at the same time. My point is the increasing roster has never shown a decline in gameplay balance.

Will there be another MK or Bayonetta tier character this time? Who knows? Maybe. Sakurai being aware of what made Bayo and MK so busted, makes me think things will be better this time around.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I expect precisely 7, because that's how many real Waluigi fans there are. Oh, and 8, because I'm upset Shrek isn't in the game.
Shrek will never be in Smash.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I can see the following characters being echo fighters in Ultimate because it would just be easier for Sakurai and the gang to create them instead of investing more time into new models:

Dixie Kong - Echoing Diddy Kong, but with a different roll animation and up B like Chrom is with Roy.
Ninten - Echoing Ness
Black Shadow - Echoing Captain Falcon
Shadow - Echoing Sonic
Roll - Echoing Mega Man
Medusa - Echoing Palutena
Mrs. Pac-Man - Echoing Pac-Man
Ken - Echoing Ryu
Crono - Echoing Cloud, with a few minor changes
Jeanne - Echoing Bayonetta (No, thanks.)
Octoling - Echoing Inkling

People are expecting Isabelle as an echo fighter of Villager, but if that were to be the case, then she might have alternate animal models like Villager has alternate human model palettes. This is why I don't expect her in the game if she's going to be an echo, because I'm not so sure they'd invest that much time into creating alternate models. People are expecting Geno for whatever reason. I've yet to see an actual good enough reason for adding him other than nostalgia. I can see Skull Kid being in Sma5h, but I'm not sure I see the reason for him.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think all of those rallying behind their "shoo-ins" but don't get them will be disappointed. They are so certain that their character will make it in. But will be inevitably crushed when the shocking truth comes out that, no. Your character wasn't even an Assist.

There's going to be quite a few of those. Atleast I've accepted a lot of characters I want at this point have no chance. I have nothing to lose. Ridley and K. Rool are in and that's good enough.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I would be more than happy with Smash, the way that its looking now. I really don't care if any new characters get added... but I am almost 100% sure there will people complaining about something. This community is full of complainers unfortunately and if I was Sakurai, I would've called it quits a long time ago...

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Even though I reckon that only two of my top ten wishlist fighters have any chance of getting in by now, I can't say I'll be disappointed, even if we've somehow already seen the final roster. Pretty much every big hitter for a large company with four decades of history in gaming is represented.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can see some salty fans from:
-Casuals that want a good single player content, if Spirits isn't really satisfactory
-Fans of characters with big Japanese fanbases, if they don't get in, like Isabelle, Bandana Dee, Rex or a Rythm Heaven character.
-Melee fanboys

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
-Melee fanboys
This one's a huge one. They have an insatiable hunger for Smash Melee. Smash Ultimate even having semblances of mechanics from Smash Brawl and Smash 4 for a good chunk of them is automatically a turn off. Also, characters have been changed so much that they're completely new, and many aren't going to be happy with having to change their main and/or play style.

Given all fighters and almost all popular stages from Smash Melee are back like Pichu, Young Link, and Fountain of Dreams, there is going to be zero hope for any Smash Melee fans that refuse to move on to Smash Ultimate.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Frankly, I just hope that, since I don't own a Switch yet, the online service ends up being decent by December because I've been reading about that cloud save stuff on reddit and not a lot of people are happy.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I don't expect many people to be disappointed in this game. The only people I can see being disappointed are the people who have short term memory loss and only want "MUH RELEVANCE!" character picks. Because apparently anyone that didn't debut within the last two years isn't "worthy" or "no one remembers who they are!" To me we only have had like what 6 new characters revealed so far and to me personally, this roster already ****S all over the Wii U/3DS newcomer list. The only three characters that were even hype to me were Little Mac, Bowser Jr., and Villager. Everyone else to me was either "meh" (Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Rosalina, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Greninja) or "God why did they add them!?" (Bayonetta, Cloud, Ryu, Wii Fit Trainer).

To me Ridley, Inklings, King K. Rool, Chrom, Wolf (returning with an updated moveset), and Dark Samus are already more hype than 90% of Wii U/3DS's roster to me. Their hasn't been a single character revealed for Ultimate so far that I was like "UGH HIM!?" even Simon/Richter Belmont and Daisy are more like "meh" to me. But I got so many more characters that I enjoy and my 3 most wanted (Rool, Ridley, Wolf) are here so I can take a few mehs for this roster.

Also I know not many seem to like the idea of less new stages but to me having a 100 stages in general is fine to me whether they are old or not. I mostly choose stages based on the music than the actual layout (in Wii U I rarely played outside of Omega form). Now that music isn't tied to stage but series it opens up the possibilities for me even more. Not to mention most of Wii U's stages just weren't that great/fun to me to begin with. So I'd rather have a bunch of my favorite Melee, Brawl, and 3DS stages (which had WAYYY better stages than Wii U's) in HD for the first time than to continue to get a bunch of new stages that aren't that good (based on Wii U's design philosophies).

I hate to say it but I'd gladly pay $100 for this game because I think it's damn well worth it from what I've seen so far.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I don't expect many people to be disappointed in this game. The only people I can see being disappointed are the people who have short term memory loss and only want "MUH RELEVANCE!" character picks. Because apparently anyone that didn't debut within the last two years isn't "worthy" or "no one remembers who they are!" To me we only have had like what 6 new characters revealed so far and to me personally, this roster already ****S all over the Wii U/3DS newcomer list. The only three characters that were even hype to me were Little Mac, Bowser Jr., and Villager. Everyone else to me was either "meh" (Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Rosalina, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Greninja) or "God why did they add them!?" (Bayonetta, Cloud, Ryu, Wii Fit Trainer).

To me Ridley, Inklings, King K. Rool, Chrom, Wolf (returning with an updated moveset), and Dark Samus are already more hype than 90% of Wii U/3DS's roster to me. THEIR (seriously?!?!?!) hasn't been a single character revealed for Ultimate so far that I was like "UGH HIM!?" even Simon/Richter Belmont and Daisy are more like "meh" to me. But I got so many more characters that I enjoy and my 3 most wanted (Rool, Ridley, Wolf) are here so I can take a few mehs for this roster.

Also I know not many seem to like the idea of less new stages but to me having a 100 stages in general is fine to me whether they are old or not. I mostly choose stages based on the music than the actual layout (in Wii U I rarely played outside of Omega form). Now that music isn't tied to stage but series it opens up the possibilities for me even more. Not to mention most of Wii U's stages just weren't that great/fun to me to begin with. So I'd rather have a bunch of my favorite Melee, Brawl, and 3DS stages (which had WAYYY better stages than Wii U's) in HD for the first time than to continue to get a bunch of new stages that aren't that good (based on Wii U's design philosophies).

I hate to say it but I'd gladly pay $100 for this game because I think it's damn well worth it from what I've seen so far.
Yeah, there really shouldn't be any reason to complain over characters and stages this time around. They have been dropping bombs like crazy this entire direct. The best stages are being brought back from every game, and four of the new ones are looking to be hype.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yeah, there really shouldn't be any reason to complain over characters and stages this time around. They have been dropping bombs like crazy this entire direct. The best stages are being brought back from every game, and four of the new ones are looking to be hype.
If there is one thing I know about browsing forums, people will always find an excuse to ***** about something (like GameFAQs).

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Honestly, I'm already disappointed due to Midna and Bomberman being ATs. I mean, the only big thing I really like in this game is how Dark Samus has a better dodge roll than Samus. But I'm not sure if that little change will hold me over, even more so once she's probably consider not all that great after the game has been released for a while. Everything else is just fluff to expect.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think all of those rallying behind their "shoo-ins" but don't get them will be disappointed. They are so certain that their character will make it in. But will be inevitably crushed when the shocking truth comes out that, no. Your character wasn't even an Assist.

There's going to be quite a few of those. Atleast I've accepted a lot of characters I want at this point have no chance. I have nothing to lose. Ridley and K. Rool are in and that's good enough.
I don't really see anyone as a "shoo-in" at this point, except maybe for Shadow, Bandanna Dee, Geno, and Skull Kid. Two of my three most wanted (Bomberman and Krystal) are already disconfirmed, and my third (Vaati) hasn't been seen for a decade; K. Rool got in, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think Vaati's as much of a big name as K. Rool. And Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon (as well as Snake coming back) are good enough.

Im pretty sure Sakurai himself said that movie based character wont and cannot be in Smash.
This. That is precisely what I meant by my comment about no Shrek in Smash. Only video game characters are eligible. Anybody who refuses to accept this fact is metaphorically blindfolding themselves. I'd even go so far as to call them stupid.

This one's a huge one. They have an insatiable hunger for Smash Melee. Smash Ultimate even having semblances of mechanics from Smash Brawl and Smash 4 for a good chunk of them is automatically a turn off. Also, characters have been changed so much that they're completely new, and many aren't going to be happy with having to change their main and/or play style.

Given all fighters and almost all popular stages from Smash Melee are back like Pichu, Young Link, and Fountain of Dreams, there is going to be zero hope for any Smash Melee fans that refuse to move on to Smash Ultimate.
Ah, that crowd... those toxic tryhards give the Smash community as a whole a bad name.

If there is one thing I know about browsing forums, people will always find an excuse to ***** about something (like GameFAQs).
Also this. Trying to please everybody is an exercise in madness.

Honestly, I'm already disappointed due to Midna and Bomberman being ATs. I mean, the only big thing I really like in this game is how Dark Samus has a better dodge roll than Samus. But I'm not sure if that little change will hold me over, even more so once she's probably consider not all that great after the game has been released for a while. Everything else is just fluff to expect.
See what I said above about Bomberman and Krystal.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well, now they're more of cannon fodder than shoe-ins at this rate. And I can't exactly turn-off ATs in single player, so unless it's not abundant drop of them, I'm just going to be reminded how they're never going to be playable. Doesn't sit well for me this game.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is Toad playable yet? No? What about Captain Toad? Nope? Despite this image from Nintendo during the DLC period of Sm4sh?

oyasumi_chara.png

Then yeah, I'm never going to have what I deem a 'perfect' roster and that is pretty disappointing.
Been waiting near damn twenty years for a playable Toad in Smash. You can rave about how I'm ungrateful if you want, but it's one of the few notable omissions I've wanted from the roster since Melee.

I'm glad ya'll got your Ridleys and K. Rools and Simons that you wanted and now deem the roster perfection but I'm still waiting for my equivalent which is seemingly impossible to get, and I know I'm not alone in that.

Anyone who's had their Smash dreams dashed with their biggest desires deconfirmed is going to be feeling slightly underwhelmed upon the game's release. Ashley fans, Waluigi fans, fellow Toad fans, Midna fans, Bomberman fans, Krystal fans and I'm betting at least one of the 'shoo-in' characters everyone is rallying behind aren't going to make it.

The game will be fine without them of course, but still it's going to be underwhelming to their fans. I think it's okay to still be slightly disappointed with a product that's nearly perfect for you but missed the mark, especially if it keeps happening release after release.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I know this is a dumb question but is the underlining of Smash for emphasis, or...?
No, I just always underline the titles of works.

Also, I never said "Snippety Snappity She Took The Freakin Kids".

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I'm expecting way less salt than was with Smash 4 or Brawl.

During Brawl the pool of characters they still could add was much larger and the negative mechanics from it are gone (tripping and that edgy late 2000s dark filter), so who they didn't add was controversial

Smash 4 received a lot of Kid Icarus content and a lot of Fire Emblem content (but mostly from the newer FE games which already splits the FE fanbase itself) while F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Metroid were largely ignored.

Smash Ultimate pretty much fixes all of that. Ridley and K Rool are now in, the mechanics have more depth. I'm not expecting much salt honestly.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
The game will be fine without them of course, but still it's going to be underwhelming to their fans. I think it's okay to still be slightly disappointed with a product that's nearly perfect for you but missed the mark, especially if it keeps happening release after release.
Yeah, that's pretty much me right there. The game is going to be fine no matter how salty some people will be and even I can't deny this game is going to blow people's minds. Fortunately, I'm not those people who complain about smaller stuff like stages and music selection (though, more newer stages isn't a bad complaint).

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they announce that there won't be DLC for the game. That'd upset A LOT of people.

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
As I said in the roster prediction thread, people will be underwhelmed with the roster additions this time, but I think most will be ok with it. We already got 2 of the most requested characters and I'm sure Geno will be revealed soon. So most people will have at least one new character they are excited about.

Top Bottom