• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how many people use kirby's down B in battle?

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
You'd be amazed at how useful a nearly point-blank rock can be, when used sparingly as a surprise attack. If they're expecting a bair or something, they might spotdodge, but the rock is laggier, so they would get hit, or at least get their shield hit, which usually knocks them back far enough for you to have time to transform back.

I try to only use it about two times during a match, and occasionally more if it's an attempt at an offstage gimp. Nothing's more satisfying than koing a meta knight offstage with rock :)

Well, other than Koing him with Toon Link's down air.
mmmm well said. i've been able to punish a few recoveries with it as well. i find it easier to interrupt spacie recoveries with the rock as opposed to aerials if i don't think i can get them before they leave the start up animation.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I use rock the same I use final cutter and hammer. A lot. It can surprise enemies. If you transform back randomly, your enemies get confused. I use it to guard against fearsome pokemons or assist trophies. If you try to pawn someone who is in the ground with it, if you see you have hit his shield, then you transform back just before touching the ground. Because of its knockback and because you are still in the air you won't be grabbed, and you can come up with a final cutter, hammer or another attack while transforming back. Rock definitively has its uses in Brawl.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
I use down-b. I was saved by it in a wi-fi match earlier today: i was getting beaten severely by a very skilled lucario user, and he/she had combo'd me all the way up into the sky, so when he/she was about to go in for his/her upair to finish me off i turned into a rock and it hit lucario up into the death zone and i won. I'ts pretty darn useful if you ask me, i also like to drop down into unsuspecting groups of people and break up all the action.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I use rock the same I use final cutter and hammer. A lot. It can surprise enemies. If you transform back randomly, your enemies get confused. I use it to guard against fearsome pokemons or assist trophies. If you try to pawn someone who is in the ground with it, if you see you have hit his shield, then you transform back just before touching the ground. Because of its knockback and because you are still in the air you won't be grabbed, and you can come up with a final cutter, hammer or another attack while transforming back. Rock definitively has its uses in Brawl.
waaay too much start up AND cool down lag for it to be used as much as hammer. use it sparingly i say... like... a couple times a match for me.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
whenever i play kirby(which is often) i use it for attacking as well as recovering and mindgames. for some reason, alot of people try to attack me in the middle of fall on top of their heads xD

pirkid

Smash Lord
ya I do that too like when I'm launched upward I'll sometimes use down B to make them dodge and then stop it close to the ground and follow up with a hammer
Same here.
Honestly, after all these years, I use DownB and everyone is like "omgz he used a nub move lolz".

Mindgames are fun. ^^

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
sometimes i also like to cancel it about halfway to the ground and then they always move in to try and own me in my lag, and i'll promptly turn back into a rock and hit them. :) works once every set i'd say

Miles.

Smash Champion
I like to use it when i am off level to drop down below the level quickly and safely and then I cancel it and jump back to safety

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
i use down Be pretty often...good way to play mind games with your opponent...I don't use it alot or my opponent will be expecting it....but When I do use it's usually when i'm at low percentage and my opponent is bout to be K.O.'d

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
(Kirby Secondary) I tend to use to punish, recover (hilarious edge guard reversals sometimes), and mindgame- come out of it a little above them, then do it again- pause can get around shields, that sort of thing. It's actually a fairly good move now, which is a bit of a surprise.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
I don't tend to use the move a lot. I used to though. But my friends learned how to punish it and now it's more of a risky-once-in-a-while move. Still I do spam it in FFA's it's kindof cool to just break up a massive fight.

L-ectrico

Smash Apprentice
I use it to take advantage of laggy moves.
Marth's Sheild breaker, jump up, wait for them to release, stone. KO

Also, I drop the stone next to them, then just pop out when they get close, and give them a hammer right away.

DashNoob

Smash Cadet
That ground hitbox is why kirby is so awesome now. attacks like Ike´s "grand viper" or WE are stoped and you get spacing. Also some people try to get back at you form a down grab as soon as the move is finished, if you doit 8 out of 10 times you will get an extra hit and spacing.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Too many people spam that stupid move.I've yet to see a Kirby player who uses it like you guys are describing.
Haven't played many good kirbys then eh?

I usually use it when my opponent is charging some kind of an attack below me, expecting me to be dumb enough to land in front of him for a nice usmash/dsmash or something like that. Heck, stone even cuts right through usmashes every once and awhile for a nice little surprise.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
*thwomp* What's that Snake? Were you trying ANOTHER Utilt/Mortar?

Other than that, same uses as you guys have been saying. Plus the glitched stone form is pretty good on stages/places people don't know it works on.

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
yes i use it all the time
for some reason
even the good people i play
get hit
specially sonics
and when sonic uses final smash
DOWN-B

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't tend to use the move a lot. I used to though. But my friends learned how to punish it and now it's more of a risky-once-in-a-while move. Still I do spam it in FFA's it's kindof cool to just break up a massive fight.
Ah...I remember when I saved a replay of my Stone Triple KO in Basic Brawl. I wish I hadn't deleted that...

attacks like Ike´s "grand viper" or WE .
.... that is, without a doubt, the greatest mishearing I have ever witnessed. :D

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That ground hitbox is why kirby is so awesome now. attacks like Ike´s "grand viper" or WE are stoped and you get spacing. Also some people try to get back at you form a down grab as soon as the move is finished, if you doit 8 out of 10 times you will get an extra hit and spacing.
.... that is, without a doubt, the greatest mishearing I have ever witnessed. :D
Wow, so I just found out on the Ike boards that they actually named an attack "Grand Viper" .... it's Quickdraw (side B) into uptilt...LOL

That won't even work against someone with a brain...the thread was made in like April too. So it was named in April or earlier. Seriously Ike boards, wtf >_>

I thought he was mispronouncing Ike's "Great Aether" lolol

SMRPG1

Smash Cadet
I use it on occasions. I usually use it when I believe I can hit them or turn it into a bair.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
That won't even work against someone with a brain
it's actually not THAT hard to land if you surprise someone with it. you're supposed to charge the quickdraw just enough so it ends right before you hit someone, and ike never goes into the swinging animation. there's no lag and you can utilt immediately after ike finishes moving.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I use it most as an edge guard: I predict the trajectories and timing of the opponent's recovery and slam them with a rock. If they were far enough off the stage for me to predict their recovery, then their damage was probably high enough that the upward trajectory would probably kill them anyway. If their recovery is vertical, slam them into the stage and their bounce off kills them.

Other than that, I use it as my own recovery method to throw the enemy off of knowing where I'll recover from/to. (Or surprise rock to an edgeguarding enemy).

On the occasion that I use it on stage, I just go with whatever I feel would hit: from low/high. And I use it more often on stages with slants for grab-escapes.

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
My partner uses it pretty well, sometimes to get to a more comfortable place to recover, sometimes using it when they are chasing for a high-fray finisher. Not a bad move.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
it's actually not THAT hard to land if you surprise someone with it. you're supposed to charge the quickdraw just enough so it ends right before you hit someone, and ike never goes into the swinging animation. there's no lag and you can utilt immediately after ike finishes moving.
I get it now, at first I thought you HIT with the Side B, but that has huge ending lag. I tried it out, it's not a big deal, but I'd rather do a jab or something afterwards instead of utilt.
rofl Grand Viper...

Anyway, back on subject. I use the Stone ALL THE TIME.

ALL. THE TIME.

I really want to record all my Stone KOs and put it into a big compilation video dedicated to Kirby's down B only. But I'd prefer to do it with a capture card so that will have to wait...

But man, you wouldn't believe how often smart players fall for the Stone sliding off the ledge. Delfino is one of the best places to use it...so many slopes, and water ^_^

By the way, if Pictochat is a legal stage, (it is in some places at least) is the glitch on the right edge with the Stone banned? >_>

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
My main use for Stone is when i get hit up in the air, i "play dead" until my opponent charges up an U-Smash, then stone them.

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
I dont really use it at all until the last half of the match or so when my opponent is comfortable with me not using it.

I use it alot to edge guard too.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I usually limit myself to using it once a match. I feels a bit too predictable imo.
BAD Smiley! Don't gimp yourself like that.

I dont really use it at all until the last half of the match or so when my opponent is comfortable with me not using it.

I use it alot to edge guard too.
Listen to this guy!

Try abusing slants too, I'm serious when I say that people will fall for it more often than you'd expect. Check out my latest videos in the "NEW kirby video archive" almost all of them have very .... interesting stone usage. Seriously, look.

No really. You might be interested.

My favorite was then I turned into a stone on Pokemon Stadium 1 on one of the floating platforms, and I just sat there, and the stage changed into grass or something, and G&W was below me. Once the platform finally lowered to the ground, it somehow hit G&W and killed him. Check it out >=(

Top Bottom