• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

CHUK

Smash Ace
Melee > brawl. now that melee is currently dead (hopefully to be ressurected) I picked up SSB for n64 cuz brawl is sooo boring and SSB is way more fun to play then Brawl.

pyrblaze

Smash Rookie
maybe I'm just a noob about this whole thing, but
I guess Brawl is the embodiment in that Nintendo was spending more time with, name-dropping, and character adding, instead of a more melee style set of physics. Also, the fact of their Subspace, they tried to make the mechanics of the "story mode" to feel like that of an arcade game, but I would say that brawl isn't melee, and that Nintendo was trying to make something a little different (but its a lot different I know.)

Of course there are going to be ppl out here that will always love melee over a lot, especially the "features" such as, well everyone who plays competitively, wavedashing.

I know, I know, wavedashing etc. does take a lot of talent/practice/patience, but c'mon, a glitch is a glitch is a glitch...(don't flame me for this, its just my opinion)

when it comes to features, not glitches, brawl still seems like a great game. I just think that people had too high of expectations. People weren't really wanting Smash bros 3, but a smash bros melee part 2...

all-in-all I like Brawl especially for its newness; it seems like brawl, while still in its infancy of games, will seem to redeem itself, in many peoples eyes, but of course as stubborn as many gamers are, I wouldn't hold my breath.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter if its a glitch. As a game mechanic, I felt it added a lot. But wavedashing isn't the reason why I prefer melee, its a combination of factors (e.g. loss of dash dancing, crouch cancelling, hitstun, AND wavedashing) that makes it a slightly less rewarding experience.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
and there is basically nothing to learn in the technical department. Its boring.
They took out L-cancelling, wavedashing, and they made the cast balanced. What's so wrong with that? So there's nothing "Technical" to learn. Like I said, they balanced it out, so there aren't any glitches.

Brawl all the way for me. Being able to have a balanced cast of characters, so there isn't one or two "God" characters, *I.E., Marth and Falco in Melee* is a great fact for me, as it gives anybody a chance to win, which is great! I like a solid and level playing field.

Xephalon

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's competitive game, is pretty much gone and boring when you can hardly combo, yet do anything interesting. meanwhile in melee you are able to do a bunch of stuff that would make the game give the audience a chance to applause to anything incredible.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
They took out L-cancelling, wavedashing, and they made the cast balanced. What's so wrong with that? So there's nothing "Technical" to learn. Like I said, they balanced it out, so there aren't any glitches.

Brawl all the way for me. Being able to have a balanced cast of characters, so there isn't one or two "God" characters, *I.E., Marth and Falco in Melee* is a great fact for me, as it gives anybody a chance to win, which is great! I like a solid and level playing field.
Who the **** is telling all these people that Brawl is balanced? Seriously, are you ********? The balance in Brawl is horribly askew, its probably WORSE than Melee. In melee, low and bottom tier characters were at least USABLE, at least as counter pick characters. In Brawl, characters like Ganon, DK and Bowser(whoever tells you Bowser doesn't suck anymore is lying, hes horrible, even Gimpy will tell you that) wont be able to compete with the likes of ROB, Toon Link and other faster, spammier characters. Low and Bottom tier will probably be made up of ONLY the characters who cant spam(and Link) and most, if not all will be unplayable.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Results just came back from Capital Brawl and Smash Wars. Taking the top finishers, you have Marth, Metaknight, Wolf , ROB, wolf, snake/marth, wolf, marth, d3, and snake.

Draw your own conclusions.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
Results just came back from Capital Brawl and Smash Wars. Taking the top finishers, you have Marth, Metaknight, Wolf , ROB, wolf, snake/marth, wolf, marth, d3, and snake.

Draw your own conclusions.
HAHAHA
thank you for pointing this out to one of the many, many people who say that brawl characters are more balanced than melee because everyone mained marth, fox, sheik, and falco...

it's already down to like 5 brawl characters, or you lose. haha

Corigames

Smash Hero
Not completely true, we held a tournament and the winner was a great Wario player... followed by a marth/fox, falco, and shiek.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I like both, but Melee is Melee and the only reason I don't play it anymore (Or at least not that often) it's becasue everybody is playing Brawl and they don't give a sh*t about melee (they sucked at it)

Too bad, it's propably the best fighting game in the whole history and Sakurai did't care about its true fans...
I agree with this post and have the same feelings.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
LOL, you are exactly like how I love my mashed potatoes...

...sarcastic.
****!!!! i was hoping you were gonna say lumpy HAHA (hot is too generic)

I wonder if melee tournaments are still being host?
find one... then go to it... please...
support melee as long as you can so the community doesn't entirely move to brawl...
that would make me a happy camper... (i'm not THAT campy...)

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I've actuallty grown a bit bored of Melee since I got Brawl. But I guess that depends on the majority of things to do in Brawl. As a fighter, Melee is still way better than Brawl. Fighting against CPU's are boring as h*ll in Brawl. I could live with it in Melee.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i'm a total melee supporter. brawl took away just about everything i liked about melee, and i just can't manage to see other people's point of view about the debate.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman

Agreed. In any case, Brawl is gonna take over Melee. More people are into brawl than Melee and that is a fact. Host a Melee tourney one week and host abrawl tourney. Which one will have more people? Brawl brought in the people who casually play to be good. I think the hardcore fanbase of melee is pretty strong but not stronger than brawl's fanbase.

I meancheck out the forum activity of here of melee vs brawl. Melee forum seems very old. Not many are finding techniques and it isn't nearly as active as the brawl forum. Melee will still be played but to a lesser degree and I believe that is a fact.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
In Melee I feel like i'm playing Chess with a 3 second choice of move timer. IN Brawl I feel like I'm playing chess with a 30 second choice of move timer. Which one can you appreciate more? THe player that can play chess reall well with only 3 seconds to choose. or the player who can play just as well having 30 seconds to chose? Odd analogy I know. Best I could come up with atm.
I know this is an old post but I just had to say something. This is a TERRIBLE analogy. 3 second timer chess would boil down to luck and not have very deep games while players would most likely just move a non pawn piece back and forth in a campy and defensive manner while they hope their opponent does an unsafe move in his 3 seconds and then they strike (Brawl). And then the 30 second timer chess players would be still be forced to think fast but they have time to quickly view the playing field and make a better thought out strategy with better judgement and without being so afraid of being more aggressive (Melee).

barnes

Smash Rookie
i really like both games and even though brawl is supposed to take over brawl we can always go back to melee if we want. although im sure someone will be able to find something that can become the wavedash or l cancel for brawl itll just take some time, dont give up on the game so fast guys :lick:

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I like in Melee that Brawl lacks is Mewtwo, the problem is that with the game's mediocre character balance I can't really play as him.

So Brawl is better for actually having more than 6 "Playable" characters.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

Man, it's been so long. Who won pound 3 again?

And 6 playable characters, i hope one of those 6 isnt that floaty girl, cause i sure as heck dont remember anybody winning anything major with her.

but hey, every game has its inaccurate stereotypes.

falcoX

Smash Champion
The Hall of Eternia, Exactly 10 miles west of the
I think that Melee is leaps and bounds better than Brawl. I think Brawl may actually be the worst game in the series.

Melee is so deep, and competitive, yet simple at the same time. I think jumping from the first game to Melee alot of new things were implemented that made the game great, whereas Brawl just doesn't seem to be able to make the transition the same way that Melee did.

It just seems that not enough was added to justify it as a stand alone game, I know that may sound silly but it just seems like Melee 1.5 to me. It is too similar to Melee and I feel like what they did change is actually for the worse and not the better. But thats just me, feel free to flame.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
The only thing I like in Melee that Brawl lacks is Mewtwo, the problem is that with the game's mediocre character balance I can't really play as him.

oh... i didn't know there were only 6 characters in melee...
hmm...

lemme count the "playable" characters in brawl...
1. metaknight
2. marth
3. wolf
4. toon link
5. snake

hmm...
i can't think of anyone else that doesn't get ***** in brawl...
i guess that makes me A F***ING ******!!!!!!!

MTN

Smash Rookie
Ok the truth of it is I enjoy Melee WAAAAAYYY better! Reasons for this are, oh let me think it dont feel like i wanna break someones neck while playing it, in fact I could play Melee all night if my friends managed to stay up. Brawls multiplayer just seems boring I would rather read a book or do anything other then play it and so i dont anymore (makes sense right). The only part of Brawl I enjoyed would have to be the subspace missions but after I beat that, the game just felt done. Melee will always be better then Brawl because Melee allows for several things to expand on. Due to the tear list you were kinda forced to play with all characters and truely master the game, which will take several years rather then a couple of days. I found it entertaining learning to be good with the different teared characters whichs definatly is not the case in brawl. My main was fox and I could simply play for hours learning all the technical skills that he can perform, but i also loved using young link, and capt falcon, in fact i enjoyed all the characters.

In Brawl you will tend to use other characters just so you dont get bored, also your forced to use items in brawl because without items theres nothing really competitive about the multiplayer. Another thing is Brawl is so **** slow compared to melee that I can pretty much predict what all the character are going to do, the only problem is your character is usually to slow to do anything about it since most characters fast fall slower then peach falls in melee :p. The truth is this game was made for noobs so that they would sell more games and make more money, well you know what that is true and they did that well, but they left the gamers who would play this game for years to come, out to dry basically. I actually regret purchasing this game since the $50 i used for it, could have been put to 2 weeks worth of gas, which is just about the same amount of time i played this game till i was bored. But anyways thats just my opinion on the whole thing, say what you want to me, but you sure wont be changing my opinion on Brawl.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord

Last time I checked, Mango consistently places top 3 at tourneys, and Chu usually gets somewhere in top 5-6ish.

Neither of them are using one of the six "playable characters"

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I meancheck out the forum activity of here of melee vs brawl. Melee forum seems very old. Not many are finding techniques and it isn't nearly as active as the brawl forum. Melee will still be played but to a lesser degree and I believe that is a fact.
Not many people are finding techniques in Brawl, either. Everyone just thinks they are and they name it the *insert name here* dash/cancel.

Top Bottom