• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long did it take you to master the CG combo's?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
If I had many hours in my hands (which I usually don't), I would say months. Under tournament settings it might take a little less time but if you want to do CG's 100% or be able to rack at least 50% with them before messing up, yeah, months.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
it took me a few months. after the first couple months of consistently practicing i started to get the feel of when to press grab. Cuz after a while you dont realy have to memorize a pattern of when to press grab. you can watch how fast the other character is getting thrown and you will be able to know when the right time to press grab is...

FooXero

Smash Cadet
About 10938 months and counting.

All characters are different and at different damages too. I can do anything to Marth/Pit/Samus cause they are so close in weight, but you throw me a Bowser/Charizard and there goes my CG game.

Thank goodness I can actually fight with them too eh =P?

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Took a week counting personal business. It wasn't that hard at all for me. Otherwise it would have taken me a day or two.

Though I can see why it would take others a while to learn it.

Prawn

Smash Master
Took a week counting personal business. It wasn't that hard at all for me. Otherwise it would have taken me a day or two.

Though I can see why it would take others a while to learn it.
Actually MASTERING them in a week?

Doubt it.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Actually MASTERING them in a week?

Doubt it.
Had WAY too much free time in my hands, that's how I was able understand it so quickly. I'm not sure, I learn stuff quickly for some reason. Personally I would be more worried about using their other options outside of what to do when you grab them. Just accept the fact that some people can learn things quicker than others, it's not like I said "LOL I just mastered ICs in a week" that would be false. In terms of learning and mastering the CGs (Which is what this topic is about), it wasn't hard for me at all.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Only about three or four people have actually "mastered" the chaingrabs. If you say you've "mastered" them in a time span of a week, you're lying and you should feel bad.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Being able to 0-Death someone with about 90% of the grabs you land. Actually, if that's the case, then even less people than that have mastered the grabs. >_>

IxxI

Smash Fence
I can CG every character consistently except for Luigi and Pit now, lol.

I use the DThrow and FThrow CG> Spike on the heavies.
I use either BThrow>DThrow or BThrow>BThrow CG's depending on how evil I feel like being. These CG's usually end with an USmash if I'm in the middle of the stage or FSmash if I'm towards the edge.

I played IC's off and on since January and I've gotten to this point. Since I played off an on my progression could have gone much faster. All it takes is practice.

r3d d09

Smash Master
Only about three or four people have actually "mastered" the chaingrabs. If you say you've "mastered" them in a time span of a week, you're lying and you should feel bad.
Being able to 0-Death someone/ANY CHAR with about 90% of the grabs you land. Actually, if that's the case, then even less people than that have mastered the grabs. >_>
I think there are people who have mastered them, but I believe all of us have gotten a 0-death. that's part of the reason we play IC's, but I believe knowing when to use the CG's. what one works best on certain chars. How high should their percentage be to be able to KO them. etc.
This is my opinion on mastering, not fully, just partial but still.
I'm working on "mastering" the CG, but i knowing better wanted to have a better game play without the CG's so i don't rely on them for a kill. then start working on the CG's.
I'm working on my Fthrow's and i got a decent Dthrow and Bthrow. I want to work on the one that nana Fairs. but I only practice on actual people. No single player. haha. So i don't get the time needed.

Prawn

Smash Master
Kawaiibunny is right, the only people who've "mastered" them are Lain, Meep, and Hylian, and maybe Kawaii(Idk lol sorry), other people could be like maybe MikeHayes. Melee1 and some others that haven't had much activity lately. Unless you're doing it in a tourny setting VERY consistently, you haven't mastered them.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Speaking of which, where has Melee1 been?
He works a lot.

His climbers are good at fighting and he uses squall well. He doesn't actually CG that much lol.

But like Kawaii bunny said, very few people have "mastered" the CG's. I put quotes because mastering them is impossible. Everyone is going to mess up at some point. But the level of consistency lain. meep, and myself preform them is what others should strive for.

Prawn

Smash Master
But the level of consistency lain. meep, and myself preform them is what others should strive for.
Careful Hylian, your ego is showing :laugh:

I keed, I keed. This statement couldn't be more true.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Careful Hylian, your ego is showing :laugh:

I keed, I keed. This statement couldn't be more true.
My baddd. *shoves ego down*

I never messed up a CG in tournament at genesis though :p. Aside from when I tripped. Twice. :(.

Prawn

Smash Master

I never messed up a CG in tournament at genesis though :p. Aside from when I tripped. Twice. :(.
SAKKKKKKKKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

Yeah I'm trying to get there, instead of full on stressing now that I have them where they're effective in tournys even though it's not a guaranteed kill I just work on other facets of my game and improve on my CGs in a purely "in game" way. I feel like it'll help me the most in the long run and develop my other skills to a good point.

I actually really am starting to fool around with developing my own metagame, like you said, Lain is amazing on the approach and forcing the grab, meep does creative things with ice blocks, I just want to develop facts of they're game play that haven't been looked into.

I started playing with a really "desync-slide" heavy game during friendlies. Doing sliding Nana fsmashes with desyncs and stuff, sometimes its **** but other times its a setup to die.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Also, LAAIIINNN

You need to learn that CG you asked me about in the crew battle before playing the snake. I really think it will help you beat ally. Not having to worry about nades after grabs is sooooo nice.

r3d d09

Smash Master
He works a lot.

His climbers are good at fighting and he uses squall well. He doesn't actually CG that much lol.

But like Kawaii bunny said, very few people have "mastered" the CG's. I put quotes because mastering them is impossible. Everyone is going to mess up at some point. But the level of consistency lain. meep, and myself preform them is what others should strive for.
I wish i could talk about myself like that. haha. being one of the best and being able to say.
"come on guys, be more like me" lol

Gaspa

Smash Cadet

I recall reading posts between you and someone (i think it was swordgard) discussing cg.

You told him you practiced 99 stock against lightweights, and he told you this was not that usefull cause "cging lightweights takes no skill".

After I read your post, for the next 5 days y practiced 2 times each day 99 stock metaknight cg. (Thats a total of 1000 times)

The method really worked for me, and apparently it worked for you too.
Before that practice, I think I could 0-death a lightweight like 80% of the time in tourneys. After that, I *NEVER* missed a cg vs a lightweight since then in a tourney match (this made people complain a lot).

What I mean is: Thanks for the idea, if this made you not miss at genesis even once, every serious IC main should do this.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I recall reading posts between you and someone (i think it was swordgard) discussing cg.

You told him you practiced 99 stock against lightweights, and he told you this was not that usefull cause "cging lightweights takes no skill".

After I read your post, for the next 5 days y practiced 2 times each day 99 stock metaknight cg. (Thats a total of 1000 times)

The method really worked for me, and apparently it worked for you too.
Before that practice, I think I could 0-death a lightweight like 80% of the time in tourneys. After that, I *NEVER* missed a cg vs a lightweight since then in a tourney match (this made people complain a lot).

What I mean is: Thanks for the idea, if this made you not miss at genesis even once, every serious IC main should do this.
I practice CGing against the most common characters with 99 stock matches. Yes, it's boring as hell and seems pointless if you do it really consistently, but it MAKES you consistent. I've started practicing bthrow - dthrow on platforms even which makes you buffer the CG. I also practicing it on the moving smashville platform.

For other characters I played a 99 stock match against every single character. I didn't do all the stocks, I just figured out which CG I would use against which character, then got pretty good at it and quit out of the match and moved on to the next character. This took a long time, but whatever. Now since I know what CG's I'm going to use against every single character I just practice against random with 3 stocks to emulate tournament play. I try to do this at least an hour a day.

Honestly though I didn't touch brawl 2 weeks before genesis. I didn't even have my controller. I was too busy with life and had a bunch of drama with this girl so I was never in the mood to practice. Since I practiced sooo much though it held through 2 weeks of not playing and I was still amazingly consistent.

People ask and ask and wonder how to CG so consistently. It really is just as simple as practicing. Know which CG's you are going to do, and do them so much that it's boring to you. Do it so that even if you are nervous and shaking you will get them. I actually calm DOWN when I start to CG someone because I'm so used to it.

Practice practice practice!!!!!!!! Eventually you won't need to nearly as much, but to get to that point you have to put a lot of time into your character.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Kawaiibunny is right, the only people who've "mastered" them are Lain, Meep, and Hylian, and maybe Kawaii(Idk lol sorry), other people could be like maybe MikeHayes. Melee1 and some others that haven't had much activity lately. Unless you're doing it in a tourny setting VERY consistently, you haven't mastered them.
Then I'm gonna prove you and Kawaii wrong ;). Get ready to put my name there son. I'll prove that using the CG's was and will never be a struggle for my ICs. I promise I'll show you the consistency you need in my game my dude :laugh:.

He works a lot.

I guess consistent should be a better word instead of master in this case huh? Well, I guess the question should be how long did it take for you to be consistent with CG's.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I meant the Topic title not you >_<. I know about you already and what you did for ICs. My bad if you took that as disrespect.
I didn't take it as disrespect at all haha no worries. I just like posting that video because I'm full of myself :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
To be consistent with fthrow-fthrow = never done it.

Everything else = 2 months of practicing almost every day.

You should never leave the cg practice, I practice 10 stock matches vs a lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight once every 2 days or so minimum.

anax4aero

Smash Cadet
I actually started learning the grabs today, and with f-throw managed to get to around 70% against Marth. I'm also able sometimes to pull off the CG to the edge then Meteor with Nana after a D-throw.
B-throw is the one I haven't grasped, D-throw somewhat.

I'm finding it more enjoyable than frustrating, it's a cool feeling to manage it constantly.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Which CG's do you use for each character, hylian?

And why is the fthrow cg so hard?

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Well, it took me a while to even be able to manage the fthrow at all but I did it yesterday and today have been able to do it consistently. The dthrow and dthrow to fair chain didn't take me long.

My only problem is that i can do the first fthrow fine, but can't throw from the second climber except with the rare occasion and I'm not sure how I did it....oh well, will pick it up in time...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Which CG's do you use for each character, hylian?

On lights:

Dthrow buffer Dthrow into bthrow dthrow.

Some lights like TL/Lucas I just use dthrow to dthrow and bthrow at the edge.

Heavies I used dthrow fthrow or dthrow dthrow running pivot grab.

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
Actually, it should be the easiest. I think there is 3 frames at most (if any difference at all) from all characters(sorry I don't know so much technicalities, I do it unconciously anyway). I can do it consistently (like 95% of the time 0-death) an ALL characters (because Of this little/no difference) BUT ONLY from nana to popo (this rate is because I use d-throw f-throw chain on some). I think it's a psychollogical thing.

I never gave this throw the "Hylian practice" though (I just made that name up). Meaning 99 stock matches cg practice, forcing yourself to finish it. So I never mastered it, but then again, I never use fthrow from popo to nana, so I "don't need it"...

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
On lights:

Dthrow buffer Dthrow into bthrow dthrow.

Some lights like TL/Lucas I just use dthrow to dthrow and bthrow at the edge.

Heavies I used dthrow fthrow or dthrow dthrow running pivot grab.
And on platforms do you have to buffer the dthrow or do you do something else?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And on platforms do you have to buffer the dthrow or do you do something else?
On platforms I hope they don't mash out and do Bthrow first then buffer the dthrow every time so nana doesn't fall through.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Took me a good hour straight to get it down.
Then the next problem was perfecting it.

Top Bottom