• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long did it take you to get "Good" with Marth?

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
It took me about half a year to realize that I suck, if that helps at all.
not really what I was looking for....
LOL

I died laughing.

Ummm just practice and learn to be patient. Marth is a piece of crap when he goes offensive. You need to learn when it is time to camp fairs, d tilt, ftilt, jab, and when it is a good idea to go on a bit of the offensive. Whenever an opponent has lag either grab or Dancing Blade in most match ups. Learn what attacks you can Dolphin Slash out of too. (Snakes nair, GAW's bair, Charizards and Bowsers fire, Ikes jab, etc) All the little things help.

Quick Tip: When an opponent is recovering and has already grabbed the ledge stand about a little bit further than a tippers length away from the ledge and practice reacting to what they will do whether it be get up attack, jump, roll, or jump up aerial or whatever. Learn to pick off your opponents actions and than **** them with your zoning. Marth is so good at baiting and punishing people.

I ALSO HIGHLY recommend reading ALL of the match up discussion threads and mainly focus on what Pierece7d says. All of his information is pretty much all you need to read and is spot on. Ignore scrubby posts. lol.

Clel

Smash Journeyman
Took me years omg!!! Nah, my marth was one of the top contestants in my state from the get go though I'm a sloppy player nowadays. All I did was fight CPUs for a couple of weeks and then translate that into fighting humans. It doesn't matter how long you play but how effective is your adapting+reading+spacing+zoning is. Work in those areas and know the matchup = goodness.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Pretty looooonng. I remember when used to play Marth...it took me about 6 months to realized that my sucked and that marth takes a lot time to learn. He's more difficult to learn compared to most charaters.

EDIT: Clel I saw you play at Fighter Frenzy couple months ago...w/ marth first and then MK. Your pretty good.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
About how long a day do you play?
However long you want. Look, you're not going to be "good" in any amount of time that isn't LONG time. It's about experience. Not about addictive play. And playing against computers isn't what it's about either. first start at www.fsmash.org . Play some people on there.

In total, in order to be good you have to develop instinct and second hand reactions, you have to develop a mental game, gotta learn defense, and offense, learn mix ups. Then you gotta learn individual match ups, learn what works on some characters and what won't work on others. Gotta learn how to break your habits and read your opponents. Learn how to predict people and how to take advantage of it. Gotta learn how to be unpredictable with your recovery, learn how to avoid autopilot playing.

Theres more to it then just reading a guide. If you can't think through the game in a split second then you aren't ready. Reaction and quick planning only develop through experience. If you have to think everytime "okay now i'm gonna try to pivot grab" then you're moving to slow.

Just play alot, and play people who are good at it. NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD gets good at anything in the first week, especially something that is as competative as smash.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Maybe someone should try looking into a thread about how to progress as a marth main?

Stages, Phases, examples....time expectancy. It'd be pretty cool to take a gander at.

-Ran

Smash Master
About six months of dedicated Marth play where I went out of state almost every three weeks to go to tournaments, including driving to Houston and Dallas. I took numerous notes on players such as Roy R, and asked for advice when I was there. I ended up writing three or four pages of notes, all the while making sure I was playing quality opponents the entire time. However, at that point I already had a pretty good understanding of Brawl, since for the previous year and a half I was playing only as Snake, but I was power ranked in my state.

The best kernel of information that I can provide you is that everyone is getting better all the time, and so you have to work much harder if you want to become better than someone. Luckily, many players have attached a stigma with 'practicing Brawl' and even brag about how little they play. In order to get good, find the tournament scene in your area and play better players. A tournament isn't just about trying to place, but the chance to play with people for hours on end.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
About six months of dedicated Marth play where I went out of state almost every three weeks to go to tournaments, including driving to Houston and Dallas. I took numerous notes on players such as Roy R, and asked for advice when I was there. I ended up writing three or four pages of notes, all the while making sure I was playing quality opponents the entire time. However, at that point I already had a pretty good understanding of Brawl, since for the previous year and a half I was playing only as Snake, but I was power ranked in my state.

The best kernel of information that I can provide you is that everyone is getting better all the time, and so you have to work much harder if you want to become better than someone. Luckily, many players have attached a stigma with 'practicing Brawl' and even brag about how little they play. In order to get good, find the tournament scene in your area and play better players. A tournament isn't just about trying to place, but the chance to play with people for hours on end.
So 6 months eh? I have been trying to get better @ Brawl since release. I think the most influential component is the mindset. Not just on the confidence level and commitment, but how one thinks and judges situations while they play. I don't understand why I have so much trouble thinking while I play, and I have asked TONS of questions & have the answers in a saved file. Getting good is a longer process than I thought...

-Ran

Smash Master
Well, it depends on what you consider good. My Marth is competitive with Power ranked members in Texas, and I'm personally power ranked in Louisiana. If good means National Level, then I have a bit further to go. I've been lucky with having a high quality of players to help me.

SkOaRaAn

Smash Cadet
I'd say that playing online won't help much, but going to tournaments, and playing with other good people offline will help you to get good. Playing computer will help too, but you won't understand if you're good or not till you place somewhere

Top Bottom