• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How happy are you with the new Samus?

Pi

Smash Hero
Just curious about your thoughts on the new and impr...errr...the new Samus!

Any way, personally, I really like her o.o. Her aerials do cancel really fast, her Zair is amazing to keep your foes at bay, her homing missiles come out faster than I anticipated, her charged beam offers quite a bit if stun (both charged and uncharged) and her recovery is both unpredictable and long range!

Killing is quite hard, though, landing UTilts (for me) is hard to do, I can't seem to get into the habit of tilting my Fsmash upward, and I seem to keep wasting my charged beam. Dairs I can get quite often, and the other stuff I can work on :D.

Her edgeguard is just as good as Hylian said, with her Zair stopping most recoveries (if aimed correctly), and her ability to spam homing missiles.

The only complaints I have is her approach from above isn't so good, or maybe I'm just timing stuff wrong. And aside from her USmash not much you can do to stop others from attacking from above either. And if you miss the Usmash it's pretty laggy. Her grab still isn't too effective, but her UB is still great.

On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being "just horrible and I won't be playing her" and 10 being "Wow, so much better than I expected!" I'd rate her a 7/8 :D.

[If possible I'd like for this to be a poll, but idk how >.<]

Any way, that's my views, how bout you?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I thought she would be alot weaker, but it turns out that her missles are still so **** annoying to your opponents :) I have trouble with close combat against certain characters though, like fox and metaknight.

Eten

Smash Ace
I like it. She has a shorter short hop than before, and she autocancels all of her aerials. Just using her very aggressively and fluidly being able to go from aerials to ground attacks is amazing.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Getting used to the differences is a little bit of a chore, but overall I'm pretty satisfied. I find myself still using nair, which is rather silly.

My biggest problem that I've had so far is the priority. I'm having a hard time against Pit especially, because to actually get the moves to hit requires better timing than it did in Melee. It's definitely workable, though, so I'd give it a 7/10 in terms of how much I've enjoyed it so far.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
i hate it, she is soooo slow, i honestly feel like im playing with clocks when im her

ShadowRegulus

Smash Rookie
I like her. The only thing that's bugging me is that her second jump seems iffy now and the unnecessary nerfing of her down B (that is to say... no contact explosions and you can't cancel the ball as early).

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I like her. She commands a lot of horizontal space and works really well with platforms. She's not the only character I use though.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
If only she had more kill moves, she'd be near perfect.

Of course, she does retain her edgeguard abilities, so that makes up for the lack of kill moves somewhat, not to mention that her combos in general are sexy.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
For starters, **** what you heard about her being bad. she is AMAZING. very versatile all around and can definately tango with Marth easily. I actually dont have any complaints except for with her bombs. Although she can bomb jump still, you never really need to, and the fact that they no longer blow up on contact makes them seem useless. I use them for evasion still though. Her up smash is actually good when you use it in a running upsmash. It sort of sucks your opponent in and of course has the knockback at the end. overally still my favorite character.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
For starters, **** what you heard about her being bad. she is AMAZING. very versatile all around and can definately tango with Marth easily. I actually dont have any complaints except for with her bombs. Although she can bomb jump still, you never really need to, and the fact that they no longer blow up on contact makes them seem useless. I use them for evasion still though. Her up smash is actually good when you use it in a running upsmash. It sort of sucks your opponent in and of course has the knockback at the end. overally still my favorite character.
Bombs explode on contact after they have been out for a certain amount of time. You can test this in training mode: drop a bomb you'll see it bounce once then explode. If you drop it directly on someone it explode the moment it touches the ground. Granted, this amount of dead time sucks, they can still be used to trip up opponents.

I have layed a bomb people run through it, I jab them into the bomb whch bounced them to me and I can fsmash. Very situational but the move isn't useless.

For the most part I lay bombs on platforms or below and in front of platforms. That and using the extra directional movement while in morph ball to avoid being hit.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
You know, she got a much needed nerf, and for that, I am glad. I could barely use Samus with my friends in Melee otherwize I'd handily win and it would turn into a fight lolz

Sm_Sheba

Smash Cadet
I like it. She has a shorter short hop than before, and she autocancels all of her aerials. Just using her very aggressively and fluidly being able to go from aerials to ground attacks is amazing.
Does that mean that it is not necessary to press L right before she touches the ground anymore?

Have any of you guys playing vs a LVL 9 Samus? I can't handle anything above a lvl 7.

I am having a lot of trouble learning the timing of the bomb jump. It is also difficult to get back on the stage because you cant do that thing where you sheild/move in the air and then grapple back to the stage.

It is going to take a considerable about of time for me to learn all of the proper timing of this game. I never really had any decent opponents before, so i will finally be able to improve. It is definitely a change from not losing a game of Melee for 4 years and then getting destroyed every game.

Pi

Smash Hero
L-Cancel is out, pressing L before you touch the ground has no effect any more (sorry for those who got into that habit (me >.<)) or at least that's what I've heard.

Personally I wouldn't worry about doing a full bomb jump, just lay 1 bomb and keep moving toward the stage, I heard about this from some one else and it seems to be not only easier but just as effective possible more so than actually bomb jumping.

And yea, not air-dodge grappling is getting me killed every now and then, just learn the length of your grapple and press Z I guess.

Lol computers, they keep beasting me! I can only beat a few level 9's some of the time >.<.

Sinstra

Smash Rookie
The only thing i dont like about her in Brawl is she is way to slow for me. But it makes sense because Zero Suit faster, and if they kept Samus at about the same speed she was in Meele they would have to make ZS alot faster.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
I like her a lot. I think she has really good combos. I love her air game good edge guarder missiles and charge shot give her range as does zair. Overall I still enjoy playing her a real lot.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
The only thing i dont like about her in Brawl is she is way to slow for me. But it makes sense because Zero Suit faster, and if they kept Samus at about the same speed she was in Meele they would have to make ZS alot faster.
Perhaps compared to ZSS, Sonic and what have you, Samus is kinda slow.
Although, she is definitely faster than a number of the cast, and she is certainly quick enough to take advantage of her projectiles in her approach game, so I say she's just fine speed wise.

If you're referring to attack speed, she's probably one of the faster characters in the game in that aspect.

Eten

Smash Ace
If you're referring to attack speed, she's probably one of the faster characters in the game in that aspect.
I'm just here to emphasize this.

Shariadarow

Smash Apprentice
She's so much better that she replaced Link as my main, before hse had a lot, but now she's a hell of a lot faster, and that FS of hers makes it even more fun with Zamus' speed.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
You know, she got a much needed nerf, and for that, I am glad. I could barely use Samus with my friends in Melee otherwize I'd handily win and it would turn into a fight lolz
Nerf? What was she broken before or something? Last time I checked she was merely high tier.

I miss being able to kill stuff with my Charge Shot, it takes like 150% to kill with it, nullifying the purpose of the move.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Her slower movements and even floatier jumps took me aback at first, but I'm getting used to it, and I love her to death. My only big beefs have been the nerf of the super missile and the nair, but I'll work around it.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I'm really pleased with the Samus changes. Samus was my main back in the original but I didn't like her tweaks in Melee. Her power went down considerably and since she didn't have the best combo speed she quickly fell low on my list.

Here however I really prefer samus, her projectiles are much more useful than before and her ability to chain moves has improved imo. Also I like the contrast between her and Zero suit, Since Marth was nerfed I feel that ZSS is much closer to the original Marth.

The bombs lacking proximity explosion doesn't bother me too much since I mostly used them as an arial deterrent or as I jumped over a multi-man scuffle to lay some extra damage in whie I repositioned myself.

Not to mention that for some reason she and Ike are the only characters I can consistently beat a team of high level computers at.

Shuriken_bob

Smash Rookie
I'm really pleased with the Samus changes. Samus was my main back in the original but I didn't like her tweaks in Melee. Her power went down considerably and since she didn't have the best combo speed she quickly fell low on my list.

Here however I really prefer samus, her projectiles are much more useful than before and her ability to chain moves has improved imo. Also I like the contrast between her and Zero suit, Since Marth was nerfed I feel that ZSS is much closer to the original Marth.

The lacking proximity explosion doesn't bother me too much since I mostly used them as an arial deterrent or as I jumped over a multi-man scuffle to lay some extra damage in whie I repositioned myself.

Not to mention that for some reason she and Ike are the only characters I can consistently beat a team of high level computers at.
I really really really am disliking the new samus.

I'm one for personal opinion, but you should realize that samus only got better in melee. This is mostly due to an amazingly fast wavedash, fast releasing a missiles, etc.Obviously wavedashing is out, but thats fine. Her guided missiles are a lot faster, but her power missiles are crap since the knockback was nerfed and now they added quite a few more frames on to the release. Side dodge was nerfed a bit, but that doesnt matter much. I also dont like the new grappling hook and bumb jumping... its just disgusting :mad:

My samus also didnt have too many in her arsenal. The only thing im not liking about em is the nerfed jumping.

Ike=2 good :laugh:

But yeah, new samus=meh(so far). I'm still going to play her of course because she is my love, but new strategies are to be found and that might change some stuff.

Also her Dsmash and secks kick are still good, so that helps.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
I never mained Samus in Melee or the original, but from what I have played of her in Brawl, I like.

It's still early, but I have grown into likeing her as one of my long range/annoyance fighters.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
I was surprised w/Samus in this game. In Melee, I liked Samus, but I really didn't like the feeling when playing her, if you know what I mean. I love the new guided missiles. Before I mostly used strong missiles. In Brawl I mostly use guided missiles. Her mobility in air increased, which makes her more fun to play. Most of her moves are great, the new grapple is great. Now I'm torn between Suit vs. No suit...

Chozo01

Smash Rookie
I rate her an 8. I didn't play at a "competetive" level (as in, no l-canceling, wavedashing, etc) so I don't notice all that many differences. Until I go back to Melee, then I'll probably find a ton.

One obvious thing I dislike about the new Samus is the lack of competent bombs. They were a good way to deal some 20% in my spare time but now I couldn't hit anybody with them to save my life.

Also, it seems that her dair is easier to hit with, but maybe that's just me.

In addition, I'm starting to get more used to Zamus, since it seems that I get the smash ball early on and then it never appears again... T_T

Eten

Smash Ace
I'm looking at this in the context of 1v1. I like what I think she could be. I really do. She's fast, the autocancel feature is crazy, and she's got extremely good range on a bunch of different attacks that makes her really good when you know your spacing. And with the ease of punishment people can do to you because of a perfect shield, spacing is extremely important in brawl. I can actually get a lot of good spikes with her Dair and she's good at gimping recoveries.

But despite my dedication to playing Samus and the fact that I feel that she is good, she's still not my best character. Hand me luigi or Ike or Wolf or Olimar or Toon Link or Zelda... I could go on, and I do better with all of them. I just KO at lower %, take less punishment, and overall have an easier time. What's the deal? I hate to compare Brawl to Melee because only brawl character to other brawl characters really matter, but I used to play Samus for 2 reasons- 1, I'm a huge Metroid fan, and 2- Melee Samus just looked cool when you owned people. I feel I'm losing that number 2 reason in brawl and it's getting to me.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I love Brawl Samus an incredible amount. I was expected her to be somewhat inversatile and not fun based on the information I've read, but she still feels amazingly flexible (shut up). She's still my favorite character to use, both because she's from the best games Nintendo has ever made and is still very familiar and versatile.

ChaosTheory

Smash Ace
I AM COREYGAMES, pardon this account

Melee Samus > Brawl thing that thinks it's Samus but I know deep down in my heart that that cannot possibly her

Edit: This is not the user you think

Shuriken_bob

Smash Rookie
Melee Samus > Brawl thing that thinks it's Samus but I know deep down in my heart that that cannot possibly her

Edit: This is not the user you think
QFT

I said earlier I'd still play her, but after playing all today with a group of friends I realized I'd be insane to do that.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
Samus was my main in Melee (and I mean my MAIN from 01' to '07); I knew pretty much all the tricks and strategies to be effective with her and I gotta be honest; she ain't what she used to be and I'm having a tough time trying to adapt, especially when the areas where she's taken a hit are so blatantly obvious

so far, despite my initial disappointment, I've devoted nearly all of my time with Brawl to practicing her and trying to salvage what I can with her abilities that remain (arials, spacing), train myself not to rely on moves that are now all but useless (smash missiles, BOMBS :() and attempt to factor in some of the new abilities she has (heat-seakers, zair)

it's been a few days of pretty solid practice. I was going to flat-out give up on her after the first day, but I hit upon a couple of solid matches and decided I wasn't going to give up just yet. we're talking about the character I learned the basics of Super Smash Bros. with here, so I have difficulty playing characters who don't wear Chozo armor and fire loads of missiles like it's going out of style :)

it's gonna be hard, but I've decided to stay with her no matter what; it goes beyond tourney results and tiers and whatever...she's my main. I dunno, she just is

P.S. Zero Suit Samus is also very interesting and quickly becoming a regular of mine

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
distr0ia i think you shouldlearn to spike Dair more the hit box is larger..and use Nair less its super nerfed =( nice dedication BTW =D

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I said earlier I'd still play her, but after playing all today with a group of friends I realized I'd be insane to do that.
Aww, but being ***** by no-startup-lag-on-any-move characters is so much fun. :p

Brawl Samus is awkward and feels like she got nerfed pretty bad, but once you get used to her she's still a lot of fun. I love her too much to stop playing her. :)

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Samus is amazing.

Super missiles are extremely effective, and super missiles can set up for aerial combos.

Chargeshot out of shield is one of the best techniques ever, instant kill if done right.

Screw attack and Zair are amazing.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
distr0ia i think you shouldlearn to spike Dair more the hit box is larger..and use Nair less its super nerfed =( nice dedication BTW =D
The nair is still extremely good, just different. The fact that it has very little knockback allows you to combo with it very nicely. Nair -> jab -> dtit -> Screw attack is, at the moment at least, a staple of my game; it works on the majority of the cast at a nice range of damages.

Top Bottom