• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does one find their main?

Lmessi24

Smash Rookie
How do you decide who you should main, for competetive players? Should you try to use each character for a while to see who your most comfortable with, and the best with?

Lmessi24

Smash Rookie
Yeah I saw that thread, but I wanted a more serious thread about how competetive players pick their main. I've mained DK for all smash games, so im bored of him. He also seems to not do well against high tier characters, according to the matchup chart. I think im good with defensive characters but I want to try a different type of character. How long should you practice, train, and play with a character until you know if your good with them?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
To find a main, you should make a list of all the characters on a paper. Erase all the characters that you don't want as your main until you have a few characters left. Start using the few characters left and pick the one your best with. If that character has some bad match ups, choose a second character that would do well on those match ups.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Take it from me, just choose one of them that's suitable for you and repeat until you find a character you'd mostly fit into.

Nuff Said.

D

Deleted member

It depends on what you like to do.

If you like comboing main diddy/lucario

If you like killing early and living forever main Snake/DDD

If you like being gay main Meta Knight

D

Deleted member

Im not a scrub for hating Meta Knight.

Half of Smashboards hates Meta Knight.

Obviously you say that because you main Meta Knight.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow why are people being so serious in GBD?

To find a main you point at a character and say "that is my main" and then you use that character all the time and it's your main.

Steam

Smash Hero
Lucario can't combo if the opponent is smart and can DI. you have to make hard read after hard read unless the opponent is D3 or DK.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
By either liking a character and playing them regularly, or by playing a character regularly and liking them. Both work just fine.

:phone:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Generally picking a main is completely dependent on you and your decision. Other people can tell you who to main, but it's not the best way to go about it in my opinion. Like a lot of the others in this thread have said, it is simply going through the list and experimenting with characters. Eliminating the characters you dislike playing, while keeping the ones you do like playing. You don't necessarily have to narrow it down to one character either, that's what secondaries are for. I found my main simply because I like playing as him, nothing else really.

You can also try bouncing around in the Brawl Character boards, it might make your decision easier.

Good luck.

Lmessi24

Smash Rookie
Ok I'll check the character boards, although sometimes it sucks when the characters you like are lower middle tier or bottom, like when I used to main luigi.
One last question I have is that do you have to play the same playing style as the pros do when using a character. For example, if I try to main people like pikachu or sonic do I always have to be running,jumping, and moving in order to be good?

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
There's only one character. Meta Knight. The question isn't "main Meta Knight" or "not main Meta Knight." It's whether to play gay with MK, or play REALLY gay with MK. Trolololol.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Ok I'll check the character boards, although sometimes it sucks when the characters you like are lower middle tier or bottom, like when I used to main luigi.
One last question I have is that do you have to play the same playing style as the pros do when using a character. For example, if I try to main people like pikachu or sonic do I always have to be running,jumping, and moving in order to be good?
Meh. It happens.
Those are the key words though "characters you like". You learn to live with it and accept whatever position they are on the tier list if you like the character enough.

To answer your second question, you certainly don't wanna be standing still lol :bee: You'll learn how to control characters properly over time with enough practice. If you want, you could try asking for a character mentor in the Smashbarods Mentoring Program. It's basically a 1-on-1 learning scenario with an experienced player. There are mentors for each individual character as well, so it's not like broad/vague information. Or if you have any specific questions relating to a specific character, you should definitely ask for advice/answers in their sections.

Lmessi24

Smash Rookie
i'm not that bad, I just don't think I can think quickly enough to use fast characters with quick moves and long combos, thats why ive used dk, luigi, and use slower defensive characters. I'm trying to branch away from the slow characters. Idk, i guess I'll just have to learn to think faster/play different play styles.

D

Deleted member

Tiers dont matter.

Just find a character you are comfortable with.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Here's how to pick a main if you're competitive.

Metaknight.

The rest of us are just scrubs.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I just choose the character I like, and then I try to main them. It may take practice, but at least it gives me some happiness when using my favourite character as opposed to using the stronger ones.

-Ran

Smash Master
If I'm serious about performing well in a game, after I begin to grasp the fundamentals of the system, I look at the tier list and match up chart if the community for the game has reached that point. If not, I look at tournament results and the regional rankings for characters. At that point, I look at the top/high tier characters and determine which ones I feel that I could operate with efficiently in a tournament environment. The goal of selecting a character is to find one that offers enough tools that I am capable of using to win.

I'm a tier ***** in many respects. Just like I wouldn't play an MMORPG with a bad class, I'm going to find an option that will allow me to play competitively.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
There's only one character. Meta Knight. The question isn't "main Meta Knight" or "not main Meta Knight." It's whether to play gay with MK, or play REALLY gay with MK. Trolololol.
That was odd of you. You like plushies?
We should consider him as a Tyrant of Smash Bros.

TheMarioFinale1.0

Smash Cadet
Well I dont really have a "main" but there are characters I like to be, but once I get really good with them I move on to other characters I am not so good at. Here I will show you this guide that shows how easy the characters are to play as which kind of shows how I got good with people. By beginner medium intermidiate and expert i mean how hard it is to do combos and powerful attacks.
Beginner Characters
Kirby Mario Mr.Game and Watch Jigglypuff Donkey Kong
Medium
Peach Zero Suit Samus Bowser Ike Meta Knight Ganondorf Link Toon Link Shiek Captain Falcon Fox
Intermidiate
Marth Samus Diddy Kong Wario Luigi King dedede Falco Wolf Pit Pokemon trainer Lucario Pikachu
Expert
Snake Sonic Olimar Lucas Ness Zelda

TimboJimbo

Smash Rookie
What I'm doing at the moment is having a tournament of all characters...only I'm playing all of them.

Its a double elimination bracket of 37 (including Shiek and ZSS separate) and I play 1 match with one character, 1 match with the other, and then the third match of the set with the one I either had most fun with or won most by (usually they're the same).

The character who wins the tournament will be my main :)

I recommend it as you play a few games with each character and just generally improve your skills :)

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Whichever character feels most comfortable and brings me the most success should be your main.
Short answer: Go MK

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
i guess people dont want that NoW IF U youll excuse me i got get ReADY FOR THE TOURNAMENT

GibbytheCreator

Smash Cadet
the way i usually do it is try to find my fav characters from other games and play them. usually i get comfortable and good with them fast making them my main

Top Bottom