• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you think Smash 4 could be improved?

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
Remove Corrin and let me play as Ephraim already
Having a lance user would be pretty cool.Oh whats that nintendo? A lance is a weapon. Yes there are indeed other weapons aside from swords. NO LANCES ARE NOT A VARIETY OF SWORD!!!!!

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
Personally I really like the way Smash 4 is, although if I was to improve anything it would be the following:

• Jigglypuff Buff - How she hasn't had one since release is beyond me and really makes me sad.
  • Yoshi Island stage into Wii U - this is one of my favourite stages from Brawl and the 3DS version of the game and it really annoys me that its not part of the Wii U version. I'm sure there is a ton of other great stages that could be included but this is personally one of my favourite stages of all the games.
  • Saved VS configuration - This is one that always confused me, having to set rules every time you play is just long and unneeded since its not like its not possible to implement it.
  • The Menu Screen - Honestly this is just nit picking and not really directed at Smash 4 as such since Brawl and Melee both suffered from scruffy menu layouts but sometimes if you don't know where to look, they are a nightmare to find some of the settings menus.
  • A better online mode - Of course as players we chose the standard stages that are known today but an online mode where players could choose there stages (much like how anthers works)
  • Characters Buffs/fixes - theirs only a few of note but I can't remember off the top of my head.As mentioned above Puff but another character I would like to see buffed slightly is Lucina just to give her more of a reason to play other than being a slightly worse Marth.
  • Better character costumes - Some characters Such as Pikachu have some great costumes whereas others are just colours. With the recent rise in modding it really shows the amount of potential character skins have within Smash.
These are just a few things that really come to my mind. But honestly, give me Yoshi Island stage back and I'll be an extremely happy guy!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There are a whole lot of ways that Smash 4 could be improved, so I'm just going to list a few.
  1. Remove Rage. That alone would make this a 10/10 game to me.
  2. Add Wolf. Even if you have to remove Corrin (or Sonic, Ness will also do) to do it.
  3. A story mode of some kind. It doesn't have to be a sequel to Subspace Emissary, but something similar in structure.
  4. Custom moves that aren't lazy and/or poorly balanced. Good examples being Kirby and Samus, why do they not have unique customs like Palutena?
  5. Buff Jigglypuff.
The better question is, HOW is it fair?!?!

Its cheap as sh*t! It requires no effort whatsoever. What fun is playing smash bros if all you have to do to win, is click over on the c-stick?
So basically what you're saying is that you keep running into smash attacks on For Glory and now you're salty.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
This subject is hard because I have problems with mechanics of this game.
What would I do with Smash 4 ?
  • Return the ledge mechanics to the "there's offstage edgeguard" ledge.
  • Remove rage-effect.
  • Include more counterpick stages (and ban) in the metagame.
  • Increase everyone air speed by a bit.
  • Why people with wings can't glide anymore ? This is horrible.
  • BONUS: One more DK character.
And don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things I admire in Smash4.
Hitstun ? Ok ammount (stupid UTilt/Uair strings, but whatever).
Best airdodge in the series IMO. Reasonable roster .
But the grounded game and rage-effect makes me suffer.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Remove Rage. That alone would make this a 10/10 game to me.
I don't know. I don't see anything much wrong with comeback mechanics. Sometimes it's a tad janky, but it gives people who are losing a fighting chance to come back, and the ones who are winning extra incentive to keep their stock.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
This game is already amazing, so I'm not complaining, just speculating
1. Story/adventure mode. It was amazing in all previous games, especially brawl
2. Balancing of Slow power hitters. Historically they have been pretty bad competitively, I believe because they are difficult to balance competitively without making them "broken" in casual settings. And the only reason DK and Bowser are where they are is cuz of Ding Dong and Koop- Ah. That imo is a stupid and lazy way to buff them. What comes to mind is Ike (and even he's falling off a bit at this point) and perhaps dedede from Project M. For once, I would like to see so high tier heavies. I mean seriously, Bowser, Ganondorf, Dedede, they are supposed to be the Bosses! difficult to defeat! And the majority of them have poor and/or exploitable recoveries, which completely negates their "survivability" when you have characters like shiek, mario, and pikachu at the top.
3. Set Stock as the default multiplayer rule setup. No one likes timed matches, and everyone switches it anyway.
4. Balance out custom moves. Custom moves would be absolutely amazing to this game if they weren't on such a spectrum of broken and totally janked out all the way to literally worse than useless. I was definitely a fan of them until I saw how incredible dumb and spammy some of them were (villager, Windy Kong, etc.). But then we have characters like Palutena, charizard, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, all benefiting greatly from, for the most part, pretty balanced and fun custom moves.
5. make Ganondorf's uppercut at the end of Up B crazy strong. Like, kill at 50 or 60% from the ledge strong. It's such a usable mixup, and for such a situational move, it would just be very hilarious to use, as well as make opponents respect him at the ledge a bit more:)

Thor

Smash Champion
I feel like this thread is going to invite some trolls who say obvious not-funny jokes, but...

1.) Remove rage from autolink angles and set KB moves. Expecting rage to go away entirely is unlikely, but this removes the "Mario or Bayo up+b just KO'd me at 5."
2.) Some moveset swaps for balance. The two big ones would be swapping dark dive for dark fists (Ganondorf's new default up special is dark fists) and gale boomerang for boomerang. Not everyone needs this (Pika doesn't need default Heavy Skull Bash, as nice as that would be), but as a balancing method it would be nice.
3.) This one may actually be a horrible, horrible idea, because balance is pretty solid and adding movement generally unbalances things, but I would be interested in seeing the return of ducking out of a run. Running dtilt would obviously be annoying to deal with from Diddy or running dsmash from Mario, but lots of characters would love to run into dtilt or dsmash (Bowser, DK, Ganondorf, Link, Lucina/Marth, Ike, Kirby, etc.). With tilt stick people could reliably run into any tilt really (Fox running into utilts is a little gross, but as I said above, many get benefits), and it would also allow people to run, duck a frame (or however long it is), and standing grab, which could be nice for those who really like their standing grabs.

That said, the game is already really solid as is, and does not need any changes as is. But these could all be interesting.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't know. I don't see anything much wrong with comeback mechanics. Sometimes it's a tad janky, but it gives people who are losing a fighting chance to come back, and the ones who are winning extra incentive to keep their stock.
A "tad janky." Evidently you haven't seen Zero Suit Samus and Mario kill people at 40%.
It's a dumb mechanic that rewards people for losing and makes some moves stronger than they should be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
  • Bring back Adventure Mode
  • Bring back Melee's scoring system and the decision multiplayer mode
  • Ice Climbers and Wolf
  • Donkey Kong and Bowser get their actual voices
  • Marth, Little Mac, Mewtwo, Roy, and Cloud get their English voices in the game
  • Stock matches online with anyone
I'll never really understand why Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still ended up with realistic animal voice clips. Smash 3DS / Wii U is less realistic than Brawl after all, and there's also the fact that Yoshi, Bowser Jr., and the Koopalings all have their typical voice clips.

Last edited:

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
Personally I really like the way Smash 4 is, although if I was to improve anything it would be the following:

• Jigglypuff Buff - How she hasn't had one since release is beyond me and really makes me sad.
  • Yoshi Island stage into Wii U - this is one of my favourite stages from Brawl and the 3DS version of the game and it really annoys me that its not part of the Wii U version. I'm sure there is a ton of other great stages that could be included but this is personally one of my favourite stages of all the games.
  • Saved VS configuration - This is one that always confused me, having to set rules every time you play is just long and unneeded since its not like its not possible to implement it.
  • The Menu Screen - Honestly this is just nit picking and not really directed at Smash 4 as such since Brawl and Melee both suffered from scruffy menu layouts but sometimes if you don't know where to look, they are a nightmare to find some of the settings menus.
  • A better online mode - Of course as players we chose the standard stages that are known today but an online mode where players could choose there stages (much like how anthers works)
  • Characters Buffs/fixes - theirs only a few of note but I can't remember off the top of my head.As mentioned above Puff but another character I would like to see buffed slightly is Lucina just to give her more of a reason to play other than being a slightly worse Marth.
  • Better character costumes - Some characters Such as Pikachu have some great costumes whereas others are just colours. With the recent rise in modding it really shows the amount of potential character skins have within Smash.
These are just a few things that really come to my mind. But honestly, give me Yoshi Island stage back and I'll be an extremely happy guy!
Yeah yoshis island needs to come back and we can have it as another legal stage. I was really annoyed when it wasnt put onto wii u.

Another idea i came up with would be to make it so pits up air makes him throw his bow in the air spinning multiple times doing massive damage before a high knockback finisher.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
It's a dumb mechanic that rewards people for losing and makes some moves stronger than they should be.
I don't see it as "rewarding people for losing" as much as it just seems to me it is "rewarding people for staying alive". You stay alive longer, you get benefits.
Rage activates really early, anyway, so you're almost always under its effects.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I think the best thing we can do at this point is reintroduce customs but for characters who need it. Put it like this:

Ganon's default moveset is bad. So lets give him his best all around custom moveset and make that his new "default" moveset. Do it for other characters who need it so that the game can be more balanced and fresh. Also do the same for Miis but give them their best all around size as well.

IMO that is how you improve the game.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I don't see it as "rewarding people for losing" as much as it just seems to me it is "rewarding people for staying alive". You stay alive longer, you get benefits.
Rage activates really early, anyway, so you're almost always under its effects.
except for the fact that recoveries are strong because of the ledge snap, so rage plays into the game A LOT more than it should.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Nerf defensive options all over the place.
Smash4 punishes you for engaging a lively playstyle and encourages shild camping and defensive options overall.

The strenght of shields is just too good.
The shield should be your last option to avoid being punished in a bad situation and lower your disadvantage.
It should not be one of the best offensive mechanics in the game.
A player needs to be rewarded for getting close and landing a hit, no matter if it's on shield or not.

Good timing, spacing and choice of a move should not be hard countered by simply pressing and holding 1 button.

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
As a bias melee fan, I would just say project M it, but I don't think that will happ en, and if it does, it won't be as good as the original project m or melee.
Anyways real talk, if we want smash 4 to be decent we need these changes:
1. removal of rage, that mechanic is awful and against falcon, he's always at even with you no matter his damage level since everything he has contains so much knockback.
2. change the ledge mechanic. Either A. make it like brawl, or B. keep it, but remove the magnet hands when doing up b moves to reward skilled players at their recoveries or else they get hit from onstage easier, which would also make rage way less of a factor than before.
3. bigger window for dash dancing, it gives characters a good way to approach.
4. little mac's ground speed/frame data and armor need to be nerfed and his air game slightly stronger as to make him less polarizing, and more fun to fight against.
5. removing the untechable spinning animation. I don't know what they were thinking of adding an arbitrary un-teachable situation, but if we complain enough, they will remove it.
6. ROLLING!!! Ok, so we all know that moves get stale when used too many times right? What if rolling did the same thing? Like the more you roll, the slower and more vulnerable your character gets, and the less invincibility frames you get during it. It would work like this, you get 7 rolls until you lose invincibility and the speed of it it similar to charizard's roll animation in project m. Every 10 seconds, you would get one layer of stronger of rolling back. So for example, sheik has rolled 6 times, and is near out of invincibility, she kills her opponent and waits 10 seconds before starting to roll again. She rolls, and it would be her "6th" roll rather than her ****ty 7th roll she would've got had she rolled earlier. This punishes defensive play, and would for glory players something less nooby to rely on.

Marnie

Smash Rookie
It would be nice if it had an opening cinematic composed of original footage, instead of re-using character introduction videos.

Edit: I liked Wolf a lot in Brawl, so seeing him back would be fun. That's probably something that will be left for the next game in the series, if at all unfortunately.

This is going to sound redundant with the amount of clones already in the game, but seeing Pichu and Young Link back would be cool. As another user stated, they are a part of the family now.

Last edited:

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
No Rage
Old edge mechanics (chars will need to be adjusted recovery wise)
add Snake, Ice Climbers and Wolf
make a turn off hazards button for stages
Add YI Brawl

if the 1st two are impossible then do the bottom 3

Crazymgee

Smash Rookie
When Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta were added to the game, it was obvious that they each had a new style that we haven't really seen in Smash before. It's one of the reasons why these four have all been near the top of the tier list. I think a good idea would be for a redesign of many of the smash characters, especially the low tiers and the original 12 characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
  • Ice Climbers and Wolf
  • Marth, Little Mac, Mewtwo, Roy, and Cloud get their English voices in the game
Roy doesn't have an English voice, and Little Mac just grunts, but other than that and the DK (maybe Bowser) voice, I concur.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
This is more of a casual thing, but I think it would be cool to add an option to multiply the speed from 0.5 to 2 times default, like you can already do with knockback.

I'd also like to see a mode where for each stock, you use a different character, like Smash Tour (yes, I like Smash Tour, please don't hurt me). So if you want to play Mario and Toon Link in the same match, you can!

Buff Rest anyone?

I LOVE collecting things in this game. But as time goes on, this can get tedious, as you'll get trophies and customs you already have. I think it would be nice if you only got new collectibles each time, so the process is much easier.

Smash Tour is great, but my friends and I tend to avoid battles wherever possible, because we don't know what kind of malarkey we would have to suffer through. So I think it would be nice to be able to decide which types of battles you want in Smash Tour. While we're at it, add an option to ban Tour Items in battles as well, while still allowing you to use them on the board.

I'll probably come up with more later.

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
For Glory needs to include stages with platforms. "But some stages might give characters advantage in For Glory...." Well, some Omega stages have walled ledges and some don't, so I don't think any harm is done by implementing Battlefield, Smashville, etc.

Also, Wily's Castle needs to have a version of itself without the Yellow Devil, because jesus christ what a perfectly legal stage ruined by a literal piss golem.

Last edited:

Sassy_Lad

Smash Rookie
What improvements do you think would be sufficient to this in any kind of way?

I think they could of given Smash 4 in general better skins ( ex: Original Reverse Mario/Blue Mario costume from 64-Brawl. ) Let Smash Wii U have an adventure mode over Smash Tour and Smash 3ds get a better assortment of stages.
I really don't like that Corrin was a dlc character, I can understand Roy because he was in melee. But I was looking for something more creative like shovel knight or paper Mario. A little more variety in dlc characters. Why not another earthbound character? I'm just getting tired of fire emblem sword fighters.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
1. Easier custom move unlocks
2. Some platform based stages on For Glory (like Battlefield, Smash ville, etc)
3. Miis on For Glory, even if it meant all Miis had to be generic in some or all fashion (custom moves too)
4. Ability to create a custom move set (or Custom Mii) on-the-fly in the character select screen
5. Ability to change music selection on different stages (for example, Legend of Zelda music on Duck Hunt stage)
6. Buff :4jigglypuff:

Aldolies

Smash Rookie
  • Ice Climbers and Wolf
Ice Climbers where removed from the game because of their sick grab game in brawl and melee, but in my opinion it would be fun to have them back along with their infinite chaingrabs, but returning the "0 to death" combos to Bayonetta, MK and ZSS

Arthur97

Smash Master
Little Mac never speaks, even in Punch-Out!!, so it's quite understandable why he only makes grunts.
True, but he did have an English voice actor in Punch Out!! Wii...for some reason. He may have said "yeah" at some point. Still, since he only grunts in Smash, it doesn't really matter.

N0J0HN5

Smash Rookie
What improvements do you think would be sufficient to this in any kind of way?

I think they could of given Smash 4 in general better skins ( ex: Original Reverse Mario/Blue Mario costume from 64-Brawl. ) Let Smash Wii U have an adventure mode over Smash Tour and Smash 3ds get a better assortment of stages.
It's already a good game. But if Prism Tower and Yoshi's Island Brawl were in the game (like in 3DS), that'd be fun.

ABloodyCanadian

Smash Cadet
NNID
ABCanadian
3DS FC
4957-6118-7040
A Sudden Death Switch in the rule settings. Turning this off would have the winner resolved by percentage if one were to occur by timeout... But then the real question would be what if the percentages are even...?

Last edited:

recme

Smash Cadet
NNID
recolorme
3DS FC
4871-4881-3739
For god sakes fix the c-stick bug

i dont know if it happens on just gamecube controllers
but if you hold the c-stick you literally cant input a direction to move.
so if you do an aerial and hold it because you are used to being able to, you will literally just slowly stop moving and when you land you wont be able to put in a direction as long as you hold the c-stick.

how is this game almost 2 years old and still hasnt fixed this stupid bug is beyond me.
yeah, i totally agree with this. i hate how i have to set my c stick to attack just to fix this issue. its really dumb

other than that, more things i would change would be:

-bring back brawl/melee/64's edgehogs. ledge trump is kinda dumb in my opinion, but i can see why some people are alright with it or whatever.

-make it harder to sweetspot the ledge. some characters, such as ryu and marth, have no troubles getting back to the stage due to automatically getting that ledge sweetspot. itd be cool if they could overshoot the ledge, just like in melee and 64.

-reduce buffer time. yes, im aware that this can help out executing frame perfect combos or whatever, but in all honesty, it messes you up more than helps you. in addition to the input lag all controllers have (which is a whopping 7 frames!!) and the lag tv's have, you basically have to guess for certain attacks. if it were up to me, id reduce the buffer to 2 or 3 frames.

-reduce input lag. like seriously, why do all controllers have 7 frames of input lag? mortal kombat X has very little input lag and its quite amazing. why cant smash 4 be the same?

-give characters more autocancels. honestly, its quite funny that you cant autocancel zeldas fair or bair, because it really looks like you could, but she just doesnt do it. same thing goes for shulk. he's really crippled just because he has pretty much NO autocancels for any of his short hops. even if it was for one air attack, it would be good.

-add dash dancing back. you could technically do it in this game in the form of extended dash dancing, but due to problems like input lag and buffer, its too tricky to do in order to move back and forth.

-put chain grabs in, but limit it. what im saying is that chain grabs from melee were pretty cool sometimes, but too cheap because you can pretty much 0-death with them. but what if a limit was added to them? in smash 4, they limited jab resets to a total of 3 times. why cant the same be done with chain grabs? limit it to 3 times and you wont be able to grab your opponent after that.

-buff lower tiers. marths attacks dont line up with his sword. falco has so much start up on most of his air attacks. jigglypuff and dedede just... suck! just buff these guys!

-revert some movesets. kirbys side b in brawl was amazing. i dont understand why they decided to give him a slow, chargeable hammer that only the dumbest of players fall for. i personally missed disrespecting with sheiks whip and killing with fair. roy could use his old down tilt (that they gave to mii swordsman for some reason...).

-improve the single player experience. gimme break the targets for each character, making you learn their techniques! gimme an adventure mode thats like melee's! gimme the CLASSIC classic mode, not some board game thing. the classic mode from the 3ds would be alright with me if thats what they had to stick with.

-bring back ice climbers and snake. if there is one reason why i really dont like the 3ds version, its because its the reason ice climbers were removed. it held back the wii u version, and as of a result, we have less characters than initially planned.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Buff Ike.

Also, this is literally going to come down to quantitative additions since Smash 4 is my favorite game.

-Wolf and Snake playable
-Dr. Mario stage
-More music and trophies from Final Fantasy
-More music and trophies from Street Fighter
-Ms. Pac-Man skin for Pac-Man
-Battlefield variants for For Glory mode.
-Matchmaking options for For Glory mode.
-Allow > 3 minute replay uploads

Nothing in Smash 4 hampers the game for me for what it is. Just a few things always spruce it up.

Lum_Beri

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lum_Beri
3DS FC
4656-6500-5607
Here are the big things I think we gotta do.
First and foremost, allow players to choose their own default rules. It's absurd that this still isn't a thing. On the subject of rules, implement turning off Sudden Death and stage hazards.
Second, either remove rage, or at least nerf it. 40% kills are stupid when they just happen almost randomly because you were destroying your opponent until they get one side smash and win.
Speaking of random, untechables are okay, but the randomness of them is silly and should be removed.
Add the option to perform smash attacks ONLY by using the C-Stick so that you aren't smashing when you mean to tilt.

Here are the little things I think we gotta do.
Make it so that moves like Bowser's side special always result in a win for the initiator when used offstage.
Add more character skins. Like, give Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings each a color change or two, add more of the spacemen from Pikmin, add Ms. Pac-Man, etc.
Make the menu (specifically the character select screen) less convoluted and disorganized.
Reintroduce ALL cut characters from previous games. Yes, I want Young Link and Pichu. They are a part of the family now.
Take the opportunities to add characters that could function as clones or semi-clones. I know this may sound silly, but hear me out; the developers said that Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit were easy to implement because of how similar they were to Marth, Mario, and Pit respectively. I think that many popular characters could easily be included because of how similar they are to existing ones. Daisy, Dry Bowser, Dixie Kong, Chrom, and Ken would work just to name a few examples.
Reintroduce the ability to cancel a dash by crouching.
Make the dash-dancing windows bigger for all characters. Basically, reintroduce old dash-dancing.
Increase the hitstun of all moves (well, most of them) by a few frames.
Remove or reduce the range of landing hitboxes on moves like Sheik's down aerial and aerial Falcon Kick.
Reintroduce L-canceling.
Reintroduce gliding.
Reintroduce edgehogging, but maybe make it togglable.
Reintroduce the DJC for characters like Ness and Mewtwo.

Here are the character-specific things I think we gotta do.
Bayonetta:
Remove all knockback on Bullet Arts.
Remove damage reduction on Bat Within.
Restore downward aerial side special to its former glory.
Slightly increase end lag on Bayonetta's air combos.
Bowser:
Make Bowser's up taunt much louder and longer, and give it a slight windbox.
Give Bowser a faster side tilt.
Reduce Bowser's pivot grab range.
Bowser Jr.:
Make Bowser Jr.'s rapid jab harder to fall out of.
Reduce end lag on Bowser Jr.'s down and side tilts.
Make it so Bowser Jr. doesn't take increased damage when his body is hit. He should retain his damage reduction when the Kart is hit, however.
Captain Falcon:
Fix Captain Falcon's side special so that it doesn't miss at weird times.
Decrease startup lag and end lag on Captain Falcon's down special.
Charizard:
Give Charizard a better air speed and two more jumps. Also increase its jump height.
Reduce startup lag on Charizard's neutral aerial.
Reduce landing lag on all Charizard's aerials.
Increase damage on all Charizard's smash attacks.
Remove recoil on Charizard's side special when it doesn't damage the opponent.
Cloud:
Make Cloud's Limit charge only when he takes damage or uses his Down Special, not when he deals damage.
Corrin:
Un-nerf Corrin's air and run speed.
Reduce shield damage dealt by side special kick.
Make neutral special travel slightly faster.
Dark Pit:
Reduce startup and end lag on Dark Pit's up tilt.
Buff Dark Pit's side tilt to match Pit's.
Increase Dark Pit's air speed.
Diddy Kong:
Improve Diddy Kong's rapid jab so that it does more damage and connects more reliably.
Donkey Kong:
Slightly increase end lag on Donkey Kong's down tilt.
Dr. Mario:
Buff Dr. Mario a lot.
Duck Hunt:
Make it harder to fall out of Duck Hunt's smash attacks, and make them a bit faster.
Make it harder to fall out of Duck Hunt's up aerial.
Decrease end lag on Duck Hunt's side and down tilts.
Falco:
Make Falco's down special a bit faster.
Give Falco a much better ground speed and air speed.
Fox:
Make Fox's down special a bit faster.
Ganondorf:
Redesign Ganondorf completely, and make him good. Come on, guys.
Greninja:
Un-nerf Greninja.
Ike:
Reduce end lag on Ike's side special.
Jigglypuff:
#BuffThePuff
King Dedede:
Buff King Dedede a lot.
Kirby:
Buff Kirby a little bit.
Link:
Buff Link a lot.
Little Mac:
Make Little Mac's up special snap to the ledge better.
Un-nerf Little Mac's aerial side special.
Make Little Mac's KO Meter build only when he deals damage, but make it harder for him to lose it once full.
Lucario:
Nerf Lucario's Aura, but buff Lucario in other areas to compensate.
Lucas:
Buff Lucas slightly.
Lucina:
Luigi:
Give Luigi a wall jump.
Mario:
Increase Mario's traction slightly.
Make Mario's up tilt not as stupid so that it is a combo starter rather than a combo by itself.
Marth:
Mega Man:
Give Mega Man a slight weight buff.
Meta Knight:
Make Meta Knight's up aerial great again. Maybe not as great, but great.
Mewtwo:
Increase Mewtwo's grab range.
Give Mewtwo a big weight buff.
Reduce KB and KBG on Mewtwo's forward aerial.
Mr. Game & Watch:
Give Mr. Game & Watch a weight nerf, speed boost, and faster tilts.
Ness:
Olimar:
Give Olimar an extra Pikmin or two, and give him some more options for when he is Pikmin-less. Also make his name "Pikmin and Olimar," or something similar.
Pac-Man:
Make Pac-Man's smash attacks faster, and switch Pinky and Clyde on his Down Smash.
Make Pac-Man's forward throw less awful.
Buff Pac-Man's back throw so that it functions as a kill throw.
Palutena:
Increase the range on Palutena's neutral special, and make it a bit faster.
Peach:
Allow Peach to control which version of her side smash she uses by angling up or down. Specifically, I would suggest the golf club go down and the frying pan go up, but whatever.
Pikachu:
Pit:
Reduce startup and end lag on Pit's up tilt.
Increase Pit's air speed.
R.O.B.:
Give R.O.B. one or two faster aerials.
Robin:
Give Robin a few more uses on all of his, like, stuff.
Rosalina & Luma:
Give Rosalina & Luma an increased air speed.
Make Luma a lot harder to kill, but remove its ability to respawn.
Roy:
Buff Roy slightly.
Ryu:
Increase end lag on input Shoryuken slightly.
Samus:
Buff Samus a little bit.
Sheik:
Give Sheik her old down throw. Pre-patch Sheik was very good, but required skill to use. Nothing about her was really unfair. Honestly, rather than nerfing Sheik, other characters should've been buffed to match the standard that she set.
Shulk:
Give Shulk Aerials with better autocancel windows as well as a faster side tilt.
Polarize the effects of Shulk's neutral special a bit more.
Sonic:
Make Sonic a touch faster in the air.
Toon Link:
Buff Toon Link a little bit.
Villager:
Wario:
Give Wario his old side smash.
Reduce end lag on Wario's up and side tilts.
Wii Fit Trainer:
Make Wii Fit Trainer's down special a lot better. A lot.
Yoshi:
Zelda:
Buff Zelda a lot.
Zero Suit Samus:

Miis:
Buff all of the Mii Fighters a little bit.
Give each Mii Fighter type its own roster slot, and make it so that without customs they are completely standardized at 1111 with the standard height and weight. Costume changes would be various Miis on the player's console. Then, when customs are switched on, give the Miis their unique attributes based on size, and allow for custom movesets. Basically, make them more like real characters.

Whew.

(Various edits to improve grammar and clarity. Many characters are incomplete. I will finish this later.)

Last edited:

Polarbawr

Smash Rookie
I agree with everyone who said there needs to be a universal and good reason to approach.

Right now I feel like (especially with slow characters), campy and defensive play is way more effective then it should be and makes for a way too long neutral game.

Solution : Nerf Air dodges and maybe rolls. Right now the risk/reward ratio is really skewed to cater to casuals.

More hit stun, less air dodging? Also bring low tier slow/heavy characters frame data in line with the rest of the cast so they don't get sand bagged even worse then they already do.

LSDX

Wah!
Implementation of legitimate dash dancing would be a good start. Fixing the bug for being able to randomly miss your tech >100% would also be an improvement.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
Yeah yoshis island needs to come back and we can have it as another legal stage. I was really annoyed when it wasnt put onto wii u.

Another idea i came up with would be to make it so pits up air makes him throw his bow in the air spinning multiple times doing massive damage before a high knockback finisher.
Honestly I wouldn't change pit at all, hes a great, solid character and nothing screams to me that it needs changing! But it's not a bad idea though.

Something I could also add to my previous one is the addition of lost characters, I hate it when characters get dropped so having Wolf, Pichu and Ice Climbers back would be good!

Last edited:

JoelTheSmasher

Smash Rookie
Smash 4 is already an amazing game. Maybe add free alts on the E-shop. So you could have colors for your main. I wanted black for mewtwo, but i got brown. So add alts. And give all the pokemon shiny forms. It's a no brainer.

#BringMeleeBattlefieldLedgesBack

Wouldn't ledge hogging be unfair to players who started at smash 4? They would have to learn the mechanic. And seriously... Make little mac, worse? You monster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
And give all the pokemon shiny forms.
I'm pretty sure the Pokemon Company actually blocked the use of Shiny Pokemon for some reason. There was a statement released a little while after Smash was released explaining it.

But I agree, Smash is an amazing game as it is. There isn't much I would change about its core game play and mechanics because of that.

Top Bottom