• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you think Smash 4 could be improved?

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Let's make it so when one picks up a Hammer or Golden Hammer, these items never backfire. Same goes for the Timer, Marumine, and Smart Bombs.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Aww, I actually like the risk of backfire- it's never a big chance it'll happen but it's something that always makes me think for half a second if things are gonna go wrong or not. Adds another element of chaos to having items on.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The funny thing is, the Hammer never backfired in Super Smash Bros., and you're even given a clue as to when it's about to expire.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I agree with removing the malfunction chance. The best way to make the hammer backfire is to use a counter to send the Hammer-user offstage.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree with removing the malfunction chance. The best way to make the hammer backfire is to use a counter to send the Hammer-user offstage.
Not everybody has a Counter though. The malfunction chance actually balances out the item in general by making sure it won't always guarantee you a win. The only real downside otherwise is a poor jump.

Mordecai Hazard

Smash Cadet
Remove reporting from online matches; for we all know For Glory is full salty players that report people just because their opponent is better than them. I'd say around my whole time playing this game I got banned 7 times just because I'm that good :p. It's a week ban that disables you from playing with non-banned users, which basically means you can only play with other banned users.

Not only does it take forever to find someone, you'll be stuck will the same players for some time. Usually these players are good, but however, some are campers that spam all day and etcetera. Ever since this happened I've just been playing on For Glory teams. I'm pretty sure I'll still get reported there anyways, but ever since I've been playing teams all day, I have yet to be banned. As of 1v1, I just go to tournaments to avoid reports.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
On 3DS: make Select to be the taunt button (select+the directon on the D-pad or circle pad forthe different taunts) and use the D-pad for walking and tilting, and make X a dedicated short-jump button and Y a dedicated full-jump button. This would solve all the problems the 3DS has on the controls without removing anything relevant.

A revamped Pokemon trainer (new mechanic: Power Points. The specials have limited uses, and get restored by changing pokemon) with Sceptile (a mega man style zoning fighter)+Charizard+Greninja.
The idea is: vs fast fighters, Sceptile tries to zone them, while vs slow fighters, Greninja can freely combo them. Charizard's stronger and armored attacks are perfect to finish off heavily damaged opponents and break into enemy zoning caracthers.

Also, make the Down Taunt have some remote use for all caracthers, to add some layer of strategy. For example,for PT, Sheik or Samus, it changes forms.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Overall just working on the characters more. The DLC characters feel and play so good, while many legacy characters feel awful, clunky, and/or frustrating to play.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually, of all the DLC fighters, Roy is the least viable, due to the way that his attacks work. A swordfigher whose sweetspots are at the sword's center pretty much destroys the purpose of having a longer attack range, as you actually have to get in close to deliver the best results.

Similarly, despite how good his air speed is, Roy's recovery is rather subpar with Blazer's limited range, and he falls rather fast as well.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The legacy characters are far from bad, if anything they made the (new) DLC too good.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I apologize if I repeat anything that has already been said in this Thread before:

1. One thing I noticed in Online Matches (Mainly 4-Player or Teams), is I feel like the timer really shouldn't reset when someone enters the room. With how things have been lately there's a lot of players who leave, enter, and leave because the lobby either isn't full or they grew tired of waiting (which most don't even wait that long). This causes an endless cycle of the timer constantly resetting when the players who are already present can just go ahead and have a match (at least in 4-Player anyways).

2. Completely redo the Report System. Since you can only report people at the Results screen it makes it so easy for others to insult you and leave without the risk of getting reported for their behavior Tag-wise. On top of that, so many players have claimed to be sent to Ban Land for no reason other than they beat the player or something. Innocent folks shouldn't suffer for being good at the game. If that can somehow be managed in some way I'd also would like a harsher punishment system to be put in place, too.

Let's face it, people treat the Report System like a joke and it pretty much is. Why not make being banned have the same penalties as SDing/Disconnecting or repeatedly targeting a single player where you can't play Online at all for a certain amount of time?

I feel like if someone couldn't play Online at all (with friends or other banned players) it'd help control the salt/insults Online.

3. Make Classic Mode actually... Classic Mode. I guess it could be just me here, but the new Classic Mode peeves me a lot on the Wii U. 8-Player mode is kind of forced on us there and I miss the mini-games like "Break the Targets" during the mode as well.

4. Possibly make Training Mode a little bit better. I'd like it to be similar to Pokken Tournaments, most notably it's Combo Dojo. I understand Combos work a lot differently in Smash, but I'd like to be able to see every possible in-game Combo and be able to practice it thoroughly without having to find YouTube Videos or Guides (especially since all the patches can make that more difficult since you have to keep an eye out for the correct vids/guides). It'd make learning certain characters a bit easier I think.

5. A Ranking System should of really been put in over the "For Glory Records" which mean pretty much nothing. It'd make match making much better as you'd almost always find someone at your skill level. You may still end up getting campers and spammers, but you wouldn't have to put up with potato players or folks who aren't so challenging to you as much in my opinion.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Y'all are talking about Final Smashes often as of late. Well I shall chime in on one. :4bayonetta2:'s Infernal Climax should just skip to the demon summoning part. Having to inflict damage before the Final Smash starts is stupid. The Witch Time clock is ticking, you expect something to happen when it runs out, but nothing happens! What the **** do you mean I have to attack foes to make the Final Smash work? Besides, Witch Time is getting much hate and ****, so it would make sense to just skip the obligatory part and watch Gomorrah gobble up y'all's opponents.

And to use this against CPUs, the player will find it almost impossible to do enough damage to them due their nasty habit of air dodging.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
It's a minor thing for me, but for crying out loud, PLEASE mark what characters have actually completed a mode and highest difficulty done with?

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
But that does not already happen on the characther selection screen for the majority of the modes? And in the case of Classic and All-Star, you can look up at the trophies in case of doubt.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
But that does not already happen on the characther selection screen for the majority of the modes? And in the case of Classic and All-Star, you can look up at the trophies in case of doubt.
Still, even in Melee, you're given an easier hint as to if you've completed Classic or All-Star with the selected character or not.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I'd change the scoring system back to the N64 Smash variant. Your opponent gets a point just by you self-destructing? What the ****? It's been like this since Brawl, let's change this back to what it originally was. Back then, no point was scored if one SD'd, was KO'd by a stage hazard, or even hit the ground before being KO'd.

By putting that old scoring system back in place, no one will get free points. Get K.O.'d by a stage hazard? That's counting as an SD, even if y'all are thrown into it. You hit the ground from knockback and then be sent past the blast line? No point scored; it's a self-destruct. Before anyone here beats me to it, I know that the cannons y'all can use in custom stages sort of follow the old scoring system (land in a cannon and it shoots you past a side or bottom blast line, the game correctly registers it an SD).

In For Glory team battles, salty SDs won't give the other team points... well, y'all get the gist of what I'm driving at.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Still, even in Melee, you're given an easier hint as to if you've completed Classic or All-Star with the selected character or not.
Exactly. By the way, to the poster above this? You can have a trophy, but that just means you cleared the mode with that person. Sure as heck doesn't say what DIFFICULTY you've completed it on. It makes it heck for those trying to do the All Characters on hard difficulty.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, your best score in Classic and All-Star should only be recorded if you actually completed the game modes. Crazy Orders doesn't save your records unless you've defeated Crazy Hand.

Last edited:

MasterZaden

Smash Cadet
Actually, of all the DLC fighters, Roy is the least viable, due to the way that his attacks work. A swordfigher whose sweetspots are at the sword's center pretty much destroys the purpose of having a longer attack range, as you actually have to get in close to deliver the best results.

Similarly, despite how good his air speed is, Roy's recovery is rather subpar with Blazer's limited range, and he falls rather fast as well.
I thought the point of Roy was that his tippers are weak but intentionally have low knockback so you could space the hits and make combos with them, but then get close enough and he hits hard and has kill power. Seems like a great concept for a swordfighter. Perhaps a good change would be to just slightly increase the hitstun on his sour-spots and make him a combo machine.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Exactly. By the way, to the poster above this? You can have a trophy, but that just means you cleared the mode with that person. Sure as heck doesn't say what DIFFICULTY you've completed it on. It makes it heck for those trying to do the All Characters on hard difficulty.
On 3ds at least, it says it. tough it can get iffy on Classic mode if you somehow manage a better score on a lower difficultly.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I say the addition of a Bowser Shell as an item. I just finished playing Mario Kart Double Dash thinking about the destruction it causes. It acts as a green shell, but cannot be jumped on to stop it. It hits with the force of :4villager:'s side-smash and does 30% damage on collision with a player, including the thrower. If one tries to shield the shell, it'll break y'all's shield.

Heh, next to my dreams of Koopa and Paratroopa wielding Triple Spiny Shells or Triple Bowser Shells in Double Dash, this is a pretty good idea I've had thus far...

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Cut the start-up lag of Greninja's N-air and F-air in half. Seriously, if you fast fall after a full hop, or if you short hop, you land before the hitboxes appear. No other aerial is laggy enough for that.

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
Removing the for glory win rates or making the subtitle for for glory not make it sound like a global ranking system would be nice. A lot of people value this number too much. It is a good way to show one's skill level but when people does whatever it takes to win so that the number does not drop, things get annoying. This number is a fun number to look at, even I check it for fun, but when I started, I thought that it meant something because when I hovered over for glory and not for fun, it said something about getting ranked in matches. Seeing this, I never tried secondaries back in my first few months afraid that my supposed ranking would fall. I'm not sure if this is applicable to other people, it might just be me who actually takes the text below the for glory subtitle seriously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom