• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you react to people who genuinely want Dragon Ball's Goku in Smash Bros.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Would this be considered a Goku support thread?
Nope, we're just discussing the value of allowing non-video game characters in Smash mainly.

Besides, most of us do know that Goku isn't going to be in Smash according to Sakurai's own terms (unlike some other people on other websites).

All we need to do is discuss whether changing those terms are a good thing.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, the whole debate on non-video game characters gave me problems with Sora's support thread. Sora himself may have debuted in a video game, but he regularly interacts with movie characters in his games. And I've asked on that thread about characters who debuted in video games based on licensed brands such as Starkiller from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Nope, we can't get characters related to Star Wars, Dragon Ball, Marvel, DC, or any fourth-party brands even if the character in question first debuted in a game. And crossover characters like Ultron-Sigma and Dark Khan aren't eligible either. And if Sora's popularity got him a thread, Goku's very popular too. And Goku's appeared in several games on Nintendo consoles, while Sora has only appeared in four Nintendo handheld games. That may be the same number as Cloud, but there were a lot of Final Fantasy games without Cloud on Nintendo systems and Final Fantasy characters had even made guest appearances in Mario Sports Mix. Those four Nintendo appearances of Sora were the only four Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo systems. And the whole series had been remastered for PS3 and PS4 making Sora look even more of a Sony character. But Disney owns Sora, meaning to get Sora in Smash, Sakurai would have to ask Disney and they'd be likely to negotiate characters like Mickey Mouse, Tinker Bell, Elsa, Wreck-It Ralph, etc. which would be worse than getting just Goku in, which Bandai-Namco could ask whoever has to approve of the Dragon Ball licensed games they develop to get Goku in. So Goku really has a better chance of being in Smash than Sora. I really think either we should open a Goku thread, or close Sora's.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I actually would love for the non-video game character rule to be lifted so we can collectively stop focusing so much on likelihood and more on what would make an interesting character.
Almost a shame Sega isn't in charge of adding characters.
the whole series had been remastered for PS3 and PS4 making Sora look even more of a Sony character.
Cloud has always been viewed as a 'Sony' character.

Also, Sora is a videogame character while Goku is an anime/manga character first and foremost. Not planning on continuing a debate, but just throwing that tout there.

Last edited:

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Let them do whatever they want its not gonna affect anyone

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
It is really unreasonable to argue why a non-video game character should not happen in a long franchise that started off as a Nintendo celebration in the first place?

And for the record, nobody is saying that obscure one-shot Japan only and 10 more KI characters are suddenly viable candidates just because people are shooting down a blatantly ineligible character regardless of popularity and legacy.

This isn’t a fan made rule, this is BASIC common knowledge and the fact that we have to explain this fact in 2018 is mind-baffling.

Look, I’m a massive Dragon Ball fan myself, I enjoy the franchise. The characters, games, movies and everything.

Doesn’t mean I’m obliged to vouch Goku because he makes zero sense whatsoever.

The argument isn’t that Goku would be a terrible fighter or anything, it’s that he’s ineligible and open floodgates ruining Smash’s purpose in the first place.

EDIT: Ok maybe I’m being a bit harsh.
For the record, if Sakurai truly wanted James Bond in Melee and allowed non-game characters in then yeah, I’d be all for Dragon Ball content in but as it stands now Smash should be game-only.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Disagreement is as much a part of the fun as support is, or else we'd all be knee-deep in memes and celebrities. We can't disprove that a non-video game character will ever get into Smash, sure, but we also can't disprove that the sun won't suddenly rise in the west tomorrow with such logic.
One is dealing with scientifically proven laws about our universe. The other is simply dealing with a company choice, direction, and influences. Nothing is scientifically stopping Nintendo putting Goku in especially since this is the 2nd time Bandai Namco is working on Smash. Sakurai also stated that he considered adding James Bond in Smash but problems arose with the idea. Its the importance of him considering it. A human is not bound to stick to a certain mindset especially when external influences can occur in this scenario (fans). The Universe IS bound to act a certain way and cannot change it's behavior UNTIL an event happens to change it. I can certainly say nothing will cause the earth to stop rotating east in the next 10 years because science proves this to be true. Science cannot prove Goku will not be in Smash because there is nothing bounding Smash to never add him scientifically. Science also states that if you fall into the event horizon of a black hole; certain death is inevitable. There is nothing you could do to avoid it as even Space itself falls apart. Logic can and will always be applied to Science and can be 100% certain it will be true due to physics, general relativity, quantum physics etc and can be proven. Therefore the Sun and Earth comparison cannot be correlated with Characters not being because one is absolutely bound to the universe and the other is not; just bound to bias and he is fictional at that.

Sakurai was a very much fine with never making Ridley playable due to his vision of him . He still added him in solely because of external influences (western outcry). The Sun will never appear in the west because the Earth rotates east. The comparison is bad because both the Sun and Earth are solely bound to Science. The earth cannot stop rotating east even if it was alive because it is purely bound to Science, likewise you would always fall into the singularity of a black hole once past the event horizon because you are bound to science . All logic leads to the scientific impossibility (of the Sun and Earth) of this without an external event which also can be scientifically conducted to see if such an event will ever occur and the likelihood of it occurring. Even then It can be scientifically proven that in a 100 yrs the Sun will still rise to the east. It would take an dramatic event for the earth to rotate to the west which Science proves will not happen anytime soon if ever.
Sakurai is not bound to Science when it comes to adding characters because there is nothin in the laws of physics that state that you cannot add this character. Bad comparison through and through and is also confusing because of it.

You would ask people back in Melee that Snake/Cloud/Ryu/PAC-Man would be in Smash; they probably would have laughed at you. What's possible and what is perceived as impossible changes over time (simply humans and societies work). At first Smash was a celebration of Nintendo games, then it became a celebration of video games in general. What such law is stating that the video game part of this will remain a constant and not a variable? Fans have the privilege of setting the limits of there percieved view of what should, and should not happen and can adhere to them because they do not have to be influenced by external factors such as outcry, investors, profits, growth of the brand, etc. that is involved in buisness. Some Fans conveniently like to use what Sakurai says when it favors their view but then scratches their head at when it goes against it such as Sakurai outright denying Ridley in brawl, and smash 4 due to his view. The problem with this logic of denying Goku simply due to segregating him is that Smash and Sakurai (more importantly) has been very inconsistent on what he believes, wants, invisions, and dislikes. The argument against Goku admittedly would be very solid if Smash and Sakurai was consistent but he's not. It is unwise to think this way about Smash considering the history and track record of Sakurai and Smash. It also remains to be known if other characters would get in due to Goku. What is stopping Sakurai from simply ignoring those requests just like how he ignored the requests for Ridley in brawl, and Smash 4? Is there also a limit? Would characters such as Shrek be excluded because they're not manga? They're even more of a classification then just the easy terms of non-video character. Just what is the bias? Sora regularly interacts with non-video game characters, and has them in his core party. Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be kingdom hearts if it wasn't for Disney characters, and worlds, but he is eligible simply because of him being a video game character? It seems arbitrary to assume such a rule will remain in place considering at how inconsistent Sakurai has been when it comes to rules, design, and philosophy (intentionally crippling competitive Smash in Brawl, and now embracing competitive Smash in Ultimate as an example.) I'm not so sure how I would feel about Ihom being in. I would probably enjoy him as I do not care really about the intricacies of what should and should not be. His chances aren't zero and in fact, this is his best chance since Bandai Namco is also working on Smash. It is justified to say that his chances are very low, however stating as if this rule as if it's eternal seems unwise. How many times have the rules been broken? How many times will it take? It's perfectly fine giving your opinion on Goku, but it should be mostly based on why you think he shouldn't be in and not you trying to speak for a man that is inconsistent on what he believes.

Last edited:

Vulgun

Smash Cadet
All I'd just say is that hey, people just want characters who make less sense than Goku to be in Smash.

I'm just saying, a lot of the characters people request or speculate make even less sense than Goku ever will. Like any Rhythm Heaven character, for instance.

Last edited:

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
>collectively wants bandana dee and captain toad in smash
>"Ew goku! he's not a video game character! I'm just going to specifically quote sakurai that one time during post-brawl release where he said that manga characters would not be included! sakurai's word is absolute."
>Ridley,Villager,+20 more examples
>"Besides, goku wouldn't be unique!"
>Bandana dee and CAPTAIN TOAD. The two most generic non-generic characters ever. has very little moveset potential

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
>"Ew goku! he's not a video game character! I'm just going to specifically quote sakurai that one time during post-brawl release where he said that manga characters would not be included! sakurai's word is absolute."
>Bandana dee and CAPTAIN TOAD. The two most generic non-generic characters ever. has very little moveset potential
What are you doing

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
What are you doing
Just stating the bias of fabricated rules and the fact that certain characters that have no chance in smash bros are also highly requested for the sole fact that they're from nintendo. I've been a smash fan since melee, so it pains me to see that these people want stupid characters in like bandana dee and captain toad and then disregard any other character for the sole purpose of not fitting the current theme. Highly unpopular opinion apparently to want a character that is suited for smash bros, rather than a ball with a sphere that nobody except hardcore kirby fans know and a ken doll toad with accessories.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Just stating the bias of fabricated rules and the fact that certain characters that have no chance in smash bros are also highly requested for the sole fact that they're from nintendo. I've been a smash fan since melee, so it pains me to see that these people want stupid characters in like bandana dee and captain toad and then disregard any other character for the sole purpose of not fitting the current theme. Highly unpopular opinion apparently to want a character that is suited for smash bros, rather than a ball with a sphere that nobody except hardcore kirby fans know and a ken doll toad with accessories.
I was talking about the 4 Chan esc writing style, but I see where your coming from. The whole characters not fitting the theme is important though, Smash bros is first and for most a collection of Nintendo characters first and foremost. With the 3rd party characters are either significant to nintendo or gaming as a whole, so its hard for many people to consider characters like goku.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So, you guys wouldn't accept fans who want Goku in the game. But if we actually see a Nintendo Direct with a trailer announcing Goku as a playable character for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, how would you be feeling then?

So, you guys wouldn't accept fans who want Goku in the game. But if we actually see a Nintendo Direct with a trailer announcing Goku as a playable character for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, how would you be feeling then?
I love Goku and would probably play him if he was in smash but it would just feel a little weird for a variety of reasons.

But IMO being mad about a character making it in the game is kind of silly. There's so many characters in this game, obviously you're not going to like them all. As for people thinking 'Goku is going to steal the spot of my favorite potential newcomer'... well your favorite newcomer would have pick the spot of somebody else's favorite too... anyway it's ok as long as comments are civil and angled toward the character and not the fans of that character. We have little but no control over the choices Sakurai's team are making and the worst we can do is turn on each other for liking a character more than an other.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
It's more like, I pity Goku fans because it's not going to happen. (So let it go). However in the scenario Goku is announced I'll probably play him like any other character. He works out good in super smash flash 2. Only thing I have against him is that he has so many fighting games maybe give another character a chance?

I agree Toad and Dee are bad taste, but there are still many other great picks that have yet to make the roster. What justification is there to "break the theme" that Smash bros has established? Is there any indication to think that Sakurai is going to do it? I'm not willing to take that big leap of faith when it is likely Smash bros will keep being smash bros of old in that regard.

sakurai's word is absolute.
More like it's better to go by Sakurai's words than to jump to our own conclusions. Of course he's free to change his mind like he did in an interview where he said they couldn't possibly bring back all the characters, and later we get ultimate. However, generally speaking it's better to base things off his words than nothing at all.

Oddball

Smash Lord
If I saw that announcement, first thing I'd do is double check other sites to just make sure I hadn't been watching a parody video by mistake.

Then I'd just be a bit confused with a lingering sense of "something has just happened that wasn't supposed to happen."

After that I'd wonder why not Sailor Moon instead. She's just as famous and fits into the Nintendo Universe so much better.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I would say "prepare to be disappointed."

I think the inclusion of anime characters is very silly. When you're the creator of something your product should always have some rules to go by. It's trickier in smash because it's a crossover game. There really is no strong argument for why Goku shouldn't be in smash. The idea just naturally makes most players cringe and that's about it.

Obviously Sakurai could make a killer moveset for Goku easily but at the end of the day, adding Goku to smash would be like adding the Crimson Chin to the Avengers. He's part of the same genre which is fighting/superheroes but his source material is verrrrrryy different.

So really we need to ask where the line is drawn. You can make the argument that smash's future can potentially be a crossover with characters who originated outside of video games like Goku. So my question for Goku supporters is how far should smash go when it comes to 3rd party characters?

Shin F.

Smash Master
So really we need to ask where the line is drawn. You can make the argument that smash's future can potentially be a crossover with characters who originated outside of video games like Goku. So my question for Goku supporters is how far should smash go when it comes to 3rd party characters?
That's a good question. If, hypothetically, we allowed for characters from other mediums, where's the line?

If I had to draw it, I would limit it to characters that had a vast influence on their medium of origin, and have transcended it to leave an impact on gaming as well.

Goku, for instance, essentially defined what a Shonen is, has legions of fans across the world, and has games spanning almost every console generation, including one that has a top spot at EVO. Any other non-video game character would have to have a comparable legacy to that, I would think.

A comparable character might be someone like Mickey Mouse, one of the longest-standing and most instantly recognizable cartoon characters in existence. He paved the way for the entire medium, and has games across several generations, including a large role Kingdom Hearts, one of the most popular action RPG series in existence.

Anything less would open the floodgates far too wide. It'd have to be a trickle of select characters as opposed to a stream of any decently popular protagonist.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I don't support the idea but I'm not going to debate with them on why he should or shouldn't be in the game. They're free to want who they want, but I'll still tell them that I find it an odd choice.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I would politely disagree them.

The idea of Goku in Smash just doesn't settle with me. Yes I realize Goku has had many games, so has Spongebob and DOra the Explorer, I guess they should be in Smash Bros too?

When it comes to characters joining Smash, it shouldn't just be about having video games, but actually originating from video games and being known largely for video games. Goku is known more for manga/anime than video games.

And yes, I realize rules have been broken before with regards to third party characters, but where do we draw the line? Just because a rule got broken once, that means we should just break thousands of them until Smash is just a massive s***show? If we're going by this logic, then I want the paperclip I found on my desk to be a playable character, because afterall, if we're okay with breaking the rules as many times as possible, then I don't see why I can't do it to the point that damn paperclip on my desk would be a sensible choice.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
>implying on not 4chan

But seriously, Goku shouldn't be in. You can argue slippery slope fallacy but you know people wouldn't stop at Goku.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I mean sure, Spongebob and Dora the Explorer have games, but they aren't front and center at EVO. When considering the addition of characters from alternative media, I think it's sufficient to use the same "Legendary" standards that we have for other 3rd Parties. Not just for their presence in their own media, but in their games specifically. For instance, you wouldn't stack a game like, say, this next to the likes of Mega Man and Final Fantasy. As long as having a game with the same "Legendary" standard as those is a requirement, the floodgates won't be opened in a bad way any more than they were with 3rd Parties IMO.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
That's a good question. If, hypothetically, we allowed for characters from other mediums, where's the line?

If I had to draw it, I would limit it to characters that had a vast influence on their medium of origin, and have transcended it to leave an impact on gaming as well.

Goku, for instance, essentially defined what a Shonen is, has legions of fans across the world, and has games spanning almost every console generation, including one that has a top spot at EVO. Any other non-video game character would have to have a comparable legacy to that, I would think.

A comparable character might be someone like Mickey Mouse, one of the longest-standing and most instantly recognizable cartoon characters in existence. He paved the way for the entire medium, and has games across several generations, including a large role Kingdom Hearts, one of the most popular action RPG series in existence.

Anything less would open the floodgates far too wide. It'd have to be a trickle of select characters as opposed to a stream of any decently popular protagonist.
I feel that still leaves the flood gates open far too wide.

The Terminator defined his genre, had games across multiple generations yada yada yada. Same for Indian Jones, Sherlock Holmes, Big Bird.

I'd say that it doesn't matter if they defined their own genre or how big their fan base is. I'd limit the licensed to characters that have had a major impact on videogames, Nintendo in particular. Goku has had a lot of games, sure, but I don't feel he's every felt like he ever made a huge impact on the game scene. Frankly, a huge majority of the games he has been in on Nintendo systems have been horrible and quickly forgotten. I'd say james Bond, Turok, or the Ninja Turtles have far more of a right to be in Smash than Goku does.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I don't understand Goku supporters. It's like asking for Batman in Jump Force or My Little Pony in Mortal Kombat to me. I hate to sound like a ****, but get your own game?

Like seriously, why is that so wrong to say? There's nothing wrong with something having an identity and there's nothing wrong with people not wanting a thing they love to lose its identity. "Video game crossover" is Smash's identity. That's not a bad thing.

Honestly, Goku doesn't make sense as the first non-video game origin character no matter how you look at it. Who cares if there are a lot of DBZ games? How many of those have direct descendents that aren't just other DBZ games (or Shonen Jump games)? Disney games on the other hand can cite influencial modern games like Shovel Knight as direct descendents. Plus they have Kingdom Hearts. Mickey Mouse is a significantly more obvious choice with or without consideration for video game impact.

Goku fans are also ignoring why SpongeBob specifically keeps getting brought up. It's not just meme status like Shrek. SpongeBob games are numerous and surprisingly well-liked. You'll see them run frequently at speedrunning events and many people have fond memories of them. So honestly, if yes to Goku, why not yes to SpongeBob?

Spiderman and Batman are notable too. Both have popularity rivaling (and if we're being honest probably far surpassing) Goku's worldwide. Plus, their impact on gaming is undeniably greater, with Spiderman 2 and the Arkham series frequently cited as references in big name AAA games. I'm not sure any Dragonball game has had that impact, and I don't think DBFZ will ultimately either, considering it didn't bring much new to the table (as amazing as it is)

Really if you toss out the video game rule, there's no reason the line should be anywhere in particular, much less just past Goku and no farther. Almost every GokuForSmash fan I've encountered seems to want the rule to remain firmly in place with Goku being the exception. To me, this suggests that deep down they know it's a bad idea to have non-game characters at all but don't want to admit it.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
IMO
I don't want Goku as he doesn't have a interesting moveset (teleporting, projectiles and brawlers are nothing new) and he isn't a video game character (he is an anime character first).

Brawl introduced well known 3rd party characters. Smash 4 loosened its grip on 3rd parties allowing cloud, bayo and other well known character's. Ultimate is introducing echo's character for third parties (Richter) and the heavily speculated Sonic echo or Geno.
Sakurai has slowly changed the rules (and made peoples jaws drop) over time however adding an anime character is a much large step.

Yes there is a lot of interest from players on other forums who want Goku (they may even get lucky). However when I say its a big step, there will be an influx of other anime and other 4th party characters that could change smash from the currently videogame characters only roster to well known franchise roster. Which could hurt the communities integrity as it becomes larger with to many viewpoints from outside gaming.

Goku had xenoverse 2 in 2017, Fighterz in 2018 and Jumpforce in 2019 he doesn't NEED to be in smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean if I was asking for Bandana Dee and Captain Toad in Jump Forces you'd have a point.

Imagine wanting recent rising Nintendo stars playable in the one licensed fighting game for Nintendo stars.

Madness.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I personally don't want Goku to be playable in any official Smash Bros. game.

The first reason is that I'm not really a fan of DB in the first place. Everyone has their opinions and you can love the characters you love, but I just don't personally care for Goku or DB in any context, plain and simple.

The second reason is that I view Goku as a sort of "gateway character," where if Goku got into Smash, that would open the floodgates, as lots of others here have already touched on. At that point, regardless of where we decide to draw new boundaries, Smash Bros. would cease to be purely a celebration of the video game medium and its history, and no amount of "let everyone want their character in and don't rain on their parade" talk can change the fact that I would hate for that to happen.

It seems to me that there are two camps of people- the first camp wants as many characters as we can get into Smash, rules be damned; the second camp finds value in Smash preserving its identity as a crossover of video game franchises. If it's not obvious, I'd be in the second camp.

This doesn't mean I hate anyone who wants Goku in Smash (although I'll debate with anyone who thinks Goku has a chance or deserves to be in Smash any day of the week), because opinions are opinions, and there's no point in stopping each other from having them. This also means, mind you, that people who hate the idea of Goku being in Smash are just as free to feel that way.

--

TL;DR: I personally want Smash to stay a video game-only crossover and Goku being in Smash would ruin that. I know others love Goku, and some of them by extension want him in Smash, and that's fine with me, but I'm staying firm that I don't ever want to see him in Smash.

Also, I'm seeing some people in this thread who are fine with Goku in Smash who are suggesting that wanting characters such as Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, Sora, and/or a Rhythm Heaven rep is somehow more ridiculous. Remember to be respectful of other opinions, guys- besides, unlike Goku, these characters originated from a video game, so they're fair game, especially the first-party ones.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The only rule that was ever present for 3rd parties if I recall was that they need to originate from video games.

I don't understand these "this character broke the rules" parts.

Also comparing the Ridley situation to Goku is silly.

Everytime Ridley was mentioned by Sakurai he insisted it was the gameplay aspect of Ridley that prevented him from joining the roster early.

whereas Goku's exclusion is for the simple fact that he actually breaks the single rule established.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If we're going by this logic, then I want the paperclip I found on my desk to be a playable character, because afterall, if we're okay with breaking the rules as many times as possible, then I don't see why I can't do it to the point that damn paperclip on my desk would be a sensible choice.
Because a chair is far more iconic and deserving than a paperclip.:p

Enchess

Smash Lord
Let me ask this.. would anyone here actually be UPSET if Goku was in?
Yes. Some of us like an experience to feel cohesive. The analogy I always make is it's like putting a rom-com in the middle of a horror movie marathon. It changes the mood and effects how you feel about the other films. Another example is having drinks that don't complement each other one after another. I had a ginger cider right after a blackberry cider the other day and it was terrible, even though I love both of those by themselves. The aftertaste from the blackberry mixed in with the ginger and they didn't go together and it brought both down.

If you see any value in genre movie marathons, pairing drinks with food that they complement, dividing art in a museum by style, etc, then it should be super easy to understand and empathize with people who would be upset with Goku even if you would be happy with it.

For the record, I absolutely love DB and Goku. Just don't want to ruin the purity of the Smash experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom