• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you react to people who genuinely want Dragon Ball's Goku in Smash Bros.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Third parties like Snake, Sonic and Cloud have already ruined the purity of Smash. There's a large support for a guy who hangs with Disney movie characters. The Pokémon anime is bigger in pop culture than the Pokémon games but that didn't stop Pokémon from being the most over represented series in Smash. Lucario appeared in the eighth Pokémon movie two years before Diamond and Pearl. ROB was actually a toy. Smash is a mash-up of characters that would not fit the same universe. Kirby and Snake? Samus and Ike? Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch? In fact, the 2-Dimensional Mr. Game & Watch looks really weird next to the 3D cast. And the Dragon Ball fighting games are rising in popularity. So Goku would fit in perfectly in Smash.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
That's kind of a douchey thing to say

Good thing I won't be upset then, eh?
Lol I'm just being a d***

But seriously, in a perfect world, Bandai takes smash 4s engine, and makes an entire dbz game with it. I'd be just as happy if that happened. I just want a dbz character to play with smash Bros mechanics. It would be perfect.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Based purely from the melt downs users have on this board whenever they see someone want or suggest Goku has inspired more desire for Goku's incluson.

I'd laugh at melt downs and locked threads that would happen after his debut.

People really wouldn't be able to handle Goku's inclusion. It's just a game if they add Goku life goes on lol.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Third parties like Snake, Sonic and Cloud have already ruined the purity of Smash. There's a large support for a guy who hangs with Disney movie characters. The Pokémon anime is bigger in pop culture than the Pokémon games but that didn't stop Pokémon from being the most over represented series in Smash. Lucario appeared in the eighth Pokémon movie two years before Diamond and Pearl. ROB was actually a toy. Smash is a mash-up of characters that would not fit the same universe. Kirby and Snake? Samus and Ike? Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch? In fact, the 2-Dimensional Mr. Game & Watch looks really weird next to the 3D cast. And the Dragon Ball fighting games are rising in popularity. So Goku would fit in perfectly in Smash.
There's just one little problem however...

Goku isn't a video game character

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
There's just one little problem however...

Goku isn't a video game character
Who cares? That's such an arbitrary argument. When has Sakurai explicitly said "only video game characters"? And even f he did the guy changes his mind every moment he breaths.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Who cares? That's such an arbitrary argument. When has Sakurai explicitly said "only video game characters"? And even f he did the guy changes his mind every moment he breaths.
Plenty of quotes out there suggesting he's only looking at video game characters.

Besides it was even written on the ballot.

Also that whole "changes his mind" argument is really not a good argument

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If Goku gets in, I say we start a petition to put Mario in Jump Forces. Or Sonic in FighterZ.

also Goku has appeared in a Smash style game. D.O.N. wasn't there one like Smash on DS too with the rest of the Shonen Jump cast?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Plenty of quotes out there suggesting he's only looking at video game characters.

Besides it was even written on the ballot.

Also that whole "changes his mind" argument is really not a good argument
It literally is a good argument lol. He's broken every "rule" he's ever come up with

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Goku is not going to get in. Not as a character. Not as an assist trophy. Not even as a background sprite.

But hypothetically IF he was added, who would be hurt? Nobody? Okay, good. And who would be happy? A handful of people? Ohhhh no!

But seriously, I love me some troll characters. Goku, Sans, Waluigi... Wii Fit Trainer... It doesn't matter. They'd all be fun to beat people with.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Uhh, no 3rd party characters, ?
That was never a rule. Even the fact that Snake was suppossed to be in melee but couldn't due to the game being to far in development proves that there never was a "3rd party rule"

he's said each smash would be his last since melee,
Little did Sakurai know that the demand for a new smash was high. Also it was Nintendo that suggested a new smash game to Sakurai.

too many characters would create repetitive movesets?
What?

ridley is too big... shall I go on?
That never was a rule. The reason Ridley never made it in before was due Sakurai not knowing how to implement him well with his size. Looks like he figured it out as of june 12th.

Feel free to go on if you want to

Oddball

Smash Lord
Let me ask this.. would anyone here actually be UPSET if Goku was in?
Upset? No. That implies I care enough about Goku to really dislike him.

Disapointed, dumbfounded, and confused? yes. Totally.

Now let me ask the people who WANT Goku something.
Most of the arguments I've seen for Goku say things like, he's iconic, he defineed his genre, he appears in lots of games ...
Would you be okay is INSTEAD of Goku we got Sailor Moon, Spider-man, Optimus Prime, Sherlock Holmes, The Ninja Turtles, Indiana Jones, or Barbie? If not, then why?

Enchess

Smash Lord

Most of the arguments I've seen for Goku say things like, he's iconic, he defineed his genre, he appears in lots of games ...
Would you be okay is INSTEAD of Goku we got Sailor Moon, Spider-man, Optimus Prime, Sherlock Holmes, The Ninja Turtles, Indiana Jones, or Barbie? If not, then why?
Seriously. Frankly if any Goku supporter doesn't think Spider-Man or TMNT or Mickey Mouse deserve to be in as well, then they are trolls. Every argument for Goku not only favors those as well, but favors them more than Goku.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
This line of thinking is dangerous. People don't think of the repercussions of character inclusions like Goku. I can only hope Sakurai agrees with that sentiment.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Seriously. Frankly if any Goku supporter doesn't think Spider-Man or TMNT or Mickey Mouse deserve to be in as well, then they are trolls. Every argument for Goku not only favors those as well, but favors them more than Goku.
I'd go so far as to say that Ronald McDonald belongs in Smash bros more than Goku. McDonald's has done some huge promotions for Nintendo and Ronald and Mario have appeared in commercials together.

What's Goku ever done for Nintendo?

Shin F.

Smash Master
I feel that still leaves the flood gates open far too wide.

The Terminator defined his genre, had games across multiple generations yada yada yada. Same for Indian Jones, Sherlock Holmes, Big Bird.

I'd say that it doesn't matter if they defined their own genre or how big their fan base is. I'd limit the licensed to characters that have had a major impact on videogames, Nintendo in particular. Goku has had a lot of games, sure, but I don't feel he's every felt like he ever made a huge impact on the game scene. Frankly, a huge majority of the games he has been in on Nintendo systems have been horrible and quickly forgotten. I'd say james Bond, Turok, or the Ninja Turtles have far more of a right to be in Smash than Goku does.
I mean, I'm not saying that any popular genre-defining character can get in. They have to have highly significant games on top of that. Popularity outside of games is just a bonus.

I agree that James Bond is a good example, because of GoldenEye. A year or two ago, I'd have probably agreed with you about Goku, but I would say that FighterZ has changed things for him, seeing as it's one of the most notable fighting games released in the last few years. I'd personally disagree on the Turtles. Their games were fun and somewhat notable, but hardly meet the legendary status of other 3rd Parties. I can't speak for Turok, I know nothing about it.

I'm kind of playing Devil's Advocate here since I don't personally care for him either way, but I'd answer that those characters would be fine as long as they had a largely significant game. Spider-Man I'd say comes the closest of that group. Spider-Man 2 on Gamecube was a great game, on top of him being a constant in Marvel vs Capcom, which is a huge franchise for the fighting game community.

With that said, let's not forget the most important factor for any character regardless of their status; demand from Smash fans. That's the difference between Goku and most of the others listed here. If as many people in the community seriously wanted Sailor Moon as they did Goku, I'd be just as fine with her, or any other character just as long as they meet the requirement of having some kind of a significant presence in gaming.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Would fans of anime fighting games who don't play Smash welcome Nintendo characters and the floodgates it would open if the tables were turned? That's the real question.

D

Deleted member

Even in the very, very unlikely event that Smash expands to include non-video game characters, Goku would be far from my first pick. And I think this series is fine as a gaming-centric crossover as is.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

Goku is literally the ambasador of Japan. Literally. He's japan's icon. Nintendo is a Japanese company. So it makes sense for Goku more than other characters from other IPs. Goku is also part of the most popular anime to ever exist, so again, he defines all of anime. Sailor moon is no where near gokus legend status.

While I'd actually love spiderman in smash, does he really define all of marvel? If you said batman I'd have a harder time defeing it cause batman kinda does define allof DC. Though superman is quite close so I can still create a conflict there. My point is, the character would have to define everything to do with the thing they're involved in.

Optimis prime.. transformers sucks lol. It's sucked for years. And it was originally created as a show just to sell toys. Also wtf would his moveset be? Having a viable,iconic moveset is highly important not just how much of an icon the character is.

Indiana Jones honestly would be sweet as hell lol. This is a tough one for me to say no to other than he just doesn't have anything to do with nintendo at all - not culturally, not game wise, nothing.

Sherlock homes, same as indie plus no moveset.

Barbie.. comon lol. To humor you, no moveset, she's a toy from the us, nothing to do with japan

Ninja Turtles would be awesome, but they're just not important enough. You really gona compare ninja turtles to Goku?

Now let's also go to the logistic part of things. Funimation already has teased stuff about Goku in smash. They've made it clear they're down to get him in there. Furthermore, bandai who's worked on smash is the game company that has Goku licensing. As far as I'm concerned, not putting Goku in makes no sense. None of the above characters uou mentioned have this leg up, only Goku does.

And bottom line is, people want Goku. Do people want all your mentioned characters? There's a reason people want Goku. Whatever the reason is, he's popular.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Now let's also go to the logistic part of things. Funimation already has teased stuff about Goku in smash. They've made it clear they're down to get him in there.
Funimation has no saying in Goku being in Smash at all. They aren't allowed to make the decisions for Shueisha. Funimation is just a distributor of Dragon Ball in the west.

Furthermore, bandai who's worked on smash is the game company that has Goku licensing.
That's not how licensing works. We would've gotten him already in smash 4 if it were that easy. Konami has the rights for Yugi-oh, why isn't there support for yugi?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Funimation has no saying in Goku being in Smash at all. They aren't allowed to make the decisions for Shueisha. Funimation is just a distributor of Dragon Ball in the west.

That's not how licensing works. We would've gotten him already in smash 4 if it were that easy. Konami has the rights for Yugi-oh, why isn't there support for yugi?
Are you seriously comparing YUGI to GOKU? What mushrooms are you on? YUGI??? YUGIIIIIII????? I'm so offended right now. Yugio sucks a bag of horse poo. You lose all future arguments from now on.

I digress.. no one likes Yugio, that's why they dont want Yugi in smash.

And I'm more than 100 percent certain that dealing with konami was already hard enough. Those guys are grade a a**holes.

And I'm not saying licensing is easy, but since Goku is with Bandai, it's certainly a lot more possible to do than a number of other characters, plus Goku is actually popular.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Are you seriously comparing YUGI to GOKU? What mushrooms are you on? YUGI??? YUGIIIIIII????? I'm so offended right now. Yugio sucks a bag of horse poo. You lose all future arguments from now on.

I digress.. no one likes Yugio, that's why they dont want Yugi in smash.

And I'm more than 100 percent certain that dealing with konami was already hard enough. Those guys are grade a a**holes.

And I'm not saying licensing is easy, but since Goku is with Bandai, it's certainly a lot more possible to do than a number of other characters, plus Goku is actually popular.
Now you're just acting childish

If popularity was the sole factor of the smash newcomer list we wouldn't have had the same assist trophies we have now.

Yes they COULD add Goku but they sure as heck WON'T add Goku.

Are you really that blind that you're actually expecting Goku to be in a smash game while Sakurai is at the wheel? Let alone be in the base roster of Ultimate?!

Oddball

Smash Lord
Goku is literally the ambasador of Japan. Literally. He's japan's icon.
That's the worst mispelling off Godzilla I have ever seen.

Nintendo is a Japanese company. So it makes sense for Goku more than other characters from other IPs.
By that arguement, Captain Crunch fits into the Avengers. After all they are from the same country.

While I'd actually love spiderman in smash, does he really define all of marvel?
Pretty much, yeah.

Optimis prime.. transformers sucks lol. It's sucked for years. And it was originally created as a show just to sell toys. Also wtf would his moveset be? Having a viable,iconic moveset is highly important not just how much of an icon the character is.
Let me argue that on your level. Goku sucks. He has sucked more than anything that has sucked before. As a character he is horribly bland and for a move set, he's got the most generic attacks you could think of.

Ninja Turtles would be awesome, but they're just not important enough. You really gona compare ninja turtles to Goku?
Yes. I would compare them. The Ninja Turtles at the height of their popularity were easily the equal of anything DB has ever done and they have had far more highly acclaimed games on Nintendo. Is this more of your "they suck because they're not Japanese" biase?

And bottom line is, people want Goku. Do people want all your mentioned characters? There's a reason people want Goku. Whatever the reason is, he's popular.
People want Shrek for Smash.
There was a huge online petition to get Britney Spears into Smash.
People can be stupid and they aren't always worth listening to.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Ok, first of all... I want to say that I would rather almost ANY video game character over Goku (originating in video games, I mean... since technically Goku is a video game character lol). But even if he WAS added, I'd be fine with it. Similar too what Oddball said, I would be dumbfounded and confused (although not disappointed tbh). But then again, I was dumbfounded and confused when Snake was revealed for Brawl. And again when Sonic was. And again when Wii Fit Trainer was. And AGAIN when Cloud was.... Goku would just be the next level of insanity.

Also, it was only a matter of time before people started drawing parallels with Sailor Moon, Spider-Man, Mickey Mouse, Shrek, etc... While I do agree that if you've made peace with the prospect of Goku in Smash, that you should also accept all the other ideas, I also have to speak up and say that there are some HUGE differences.

Sure, they all have huge similarities. Nobody needs to point those out; they are obvious. The differences are even bigger. As for some memey characters like Mickey Mouse.. he is not portrayed as a fighter. Yes, he has "fighting" experience, but that's not his iconic position. (Keyblade Master Mickey would be the most likely candidate)
Shrek? He can fight, I guess, but he is far from an influential icon.
Spider-Man? Okay.. there are some decent points for him, relatively speaking in terms of non-video game characters. But he's not exactly the only mascot for his diverse universe. When you say "most popular Marvel character" many people think of Spider-Man, but many also think of Wolverine, or Iron Man, or Hulk...
Sailor Moon??? Okay, I can't argue that one. She would absolutely be just as valid as Goku.
Pretty much any iconic, long-lasting, internationally know, fighting main character would fall under the same odds as Goku.

TLDR: Goku is a ridiculous idea, but Mickey Mouse/Shrek are even more ridiculous. And honestly, Master Chief has a more realistic chance than Goku, and Master Chief will never be in Smash.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
As for some memey characters like Mickey Mouse.. he is not portrayed as a fighter. Yes, he has "fighting" experience, but that's not his iconic position. (Keyblade Master Mickey would be .
I shouldn't need to correct you on this one but I must

A character being a fighter or not was never ever a factor

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
While I am a huge fan of Dragon Ball. He has no place in Smash.

I just react with a dumb stare.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
That's the worst mispelling off Godzilla I have ever seen.

By that arguement, Captain Crunch fits into the Avengers. After all they are from the same country.

Pretty much, yeah.

Let me argue that on your level. Goku sucks. He has sucked more than anything that has sucked before. As a character he is horribly bland and for a move set, he's got the most generic attacks you could think of.

Yes. I would compare them. The Ninja Turtles at the height of their popularity were easily the equal of anything DB has ever done and they have had far more highly acclaimed games on Nintendo. Is this more of your "they suck because they're not Japanese" biase?

People want Shrek for Smash.
There was a huge online petition to get Britney Spears into Smash.
People can be stupid and they aren't always worth listening to.
Gah quoting everything is so hard. I'm on my phone.

Godzilla: you know Goku was the ambassador of the Japan Olympics right?

Capin' crunch: you seriously making this your argument? Yes Capin' crunch has a better chance of joining the avengers than goku, just like Goku has a better chance of joining smash than spider man.

Spiderman marvel icon: that's a bold statement. How about wolverine? And in recent times how about iron man? I'd say right now cause of movies, iron man and cap America are higher up than spidey (even tho I don't wish it to be that way).

Goku sucking: I'm not sure if you're just trolling me now lol. Dbz being good or bad is subjective. the transformers movies being bad is objective lol. Michael Bay needs to die, or stick to directing specific scenes, not entire movies. Dbz has always been popular, and it's made a comeback now. Transformers was fun for kids in the 90s. Gokus moveset is the mostt iconic moveset of all time. Kamehameha, spirit bomb, kayoken, instant transmission, and supersajin? You realize everything after DB that would make you think Gokus moveset is generic was a ripoff of DB right? Optimis prime can transform and has a gun. That's pretty much it. What is iconic about that?

Ninja Turtles: did I say they suck? I said they'd be cool. And you're right about their populrity. But yes, not being japanese drops their likelyhood of being in way down, and also being less requested than goku.

Shrek and britney spears: yes people ask for dumb crap. When a fat oger with no moveset, and a singer are being requested, you ignore them. When an iconic fighting character from Japan is requested, you at least entertain the idea.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Godzilla: you know Goku was the ambassador of the Japan Olympics right?
Nah man, that's just your bias showing

Godzilla was a cultural ambassador of Japan

Also...

Remind me again who has a star on the hollywood walk of fame? Not Goku

Godzilla is a much, much more bigger icon than goku wil ever be

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Nah man, that's just your bias showing

Godzilla was a cultural ambassador of Japan

Also...

Remind me again who has a star on the hollywood walk of fame? Not Goku

Godzilla is a much, much more bigger icon than goku wil ever be
Uhh.. Goku being the ambassador of the Olympics is my bias? Lol

Enchess

Smash Lord
Would fans of anime fighting games who don't play Smash welcome Nintendo characters and the floodgates it would open if the tables were turned? That's the real question.
I really really really doubt it, which is a large part of why the Goku support is annoying. I don't believe Goku Supporters think Goku is good for Smash, just that Smash would be good for Goku. Mario or Superman in Jump Force would be bad for the Shonen Jump brand so they don't want it.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I shouldn't need to correct you on this one but I must

A character being a fighter or not was never ever a factor
I disagree. Being a fighter is definitely not the ONLY factor, but it absolutely can still influence a characters odds.
For the sake of the debate, Goku being a fighter doesn't give him good odds, just better odds than the Mouse.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Goku sucking: I'm not sure if you're just trolling me now lol. Dbz being good or bad is subjective. the transformers movies being bad is objective lol. Michael Bay needs to die, or stick to directing specific scenes, not entire movies. Dbz has always been popular, and it's made a comeback now.
So, you can insult people and you're objecdtivly right, and when I do it I'm trolling.

Oh, and about Goku being the ambassador... you make it sound like he's head and shoulders above everyone else. He's one of the Ambassadors. Others being Naruto, Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece, Sailor Moon and Astro Boy. He's just part of a group. Far less important than you make him out to be.

Transformers was fun for kids in the 90s. Gokus moveset is the mostt iconic moveset of all time. Kamehameha, spirit bomb, kayoken, instant transmission, and supersajin? You realize everything after DB that would make you think Gokus moveset is generic was a ripoff of DB right? Optimis prime can transform and has a gun. That's pretty much it. What is iconic about that?
Goku throws punches and shoots fireballs. That wasn't even original when he STARTED doing it and there are plenty of character in Smash that already do that sort of thing.

Optimus Prime turns intoa truck. Name three other characters that do that who aren't other transformers. Name ONE that's in Smash bros already.

Shrek and britney spears: yes people ask for dumb crap. When a fat oger with no moveset, and a singer are being requested, you ignore them. When an iconic fighting character from Japan is requested, you at least entertain the idea.
Again, all your saying is that other people's opinions are stupid and that yours isn't. It's not a good arguement.

Also, stop typing LOL. It ... oh, how can I put this nicely... it really does not make your points look intelligently thought out.

You did have one good point though and one I'm going to take you up on. When people ask for dumb crap, ignore them. With that said, I'm done with this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom