• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you react to people who genuinely want Dragon Ball's Goku in Smash Bros.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Crushing their dreams in this case would make sense, so I would do that. If Goku gets in, then anime fans will not stop until every notable protagonist finds their way in, and Smash won't be a celebration of Nintendo and video games overall anymore.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Essentially this. Goku doesn't gain anything by trying to fit into Smash's mechanics.
Say hello to Bayonetta lul. Weak argument IMO. Non-Nintendo characters will continue to appear in Smash because that's how Nintendo sells more consoles and more Smash copies. You can only go so far with Ridley, K.K rool etc. Nintendo fans will buy Smash regardless. A lot of people who barely follow Nintendo franchises play Smash due to third parties. Sakurai must expand if he want Smash to continue to grow. There were people who quit Smash after Brawl due to Snake being cut. Nintendo cares about money first and foremost, so Cloud/ Bayo being in isn't that surprising to non-Nintendo fans. I don't know why Nintendo fans pretend like Nintendo isn't a company that seeks profit. Yeah yeah "tradition" but tradition fades away over time. None of y'all would be even turning down GOKU if Sakurai would have gone through and added James Bond in Melee. He can easily change his mind about this just like he changed his mind about Ridley after the West constantly brought Ridley up. GOKU is massively popular in Japan and Japan always get priority over what other countries "think" should happen to Smash. Ridley would have been in if he was popular in Japan and probably Walugi (Japan does not like Waluigi). Why do you think small Ike is back? Buffed Ike is despised in Japan.

(Hello Corrin / FE / hell even Cloud is extremely massive in JP.) There are far more people who would buy Smash for GOKU than there are people who wouldn't buy Smash for GOKU as most people don't care about semantics and the details. RIP Nintendo purists; your loss.

It's not fun being told Ridley is too big for over adecade and that K. Rool is irrelevant to be in Smash hmm?

Besides people acting like fans who want GOKU are asking for Naruto etc. The only people who bring up Shrek etc.. are ironically the people who only reason he shouldn't be in is he because manga.

tl:dr Let people have their fun and let the best fandom win (daisy etc..).

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Do I think Goku will ever happen? No.

And awhile ago, I was 100% against the idea, and would be upset if it ever happened. However, not that I'm getting into DragonBall? I...still don't want Goku in Smash. Like, if it was somehow my decision on whether or not it happened, I'd say no, but I guess I wouldn't be mad if it happened?

So when there's people who genuinely want him, I just take the stance of "I wouldn't hate it, but I'd still rather it not happen, and I don't think it'll ever happen. I recommend trying out SSF2 though!"

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I tell those people the same thing I tell Waluigi fans, Ashley fans, Shovel Knight fans, Shantae fans, and folks that want Shrek in, which is the same thing I told Ryu fans, Ridley fans, Simon Belmont fans, Chrom fans, and K. Rool fans:

"If he gets in, that's wonderful, but until then, I'm going to hypocritically laugh at your tears of anguish over him not getting in :)"

I would add Little Mac to that list, but I'm still not 100% on board with his inclusion.

Last edited:

King of Ooo

Smash Rookie
I love db but Goku is not a videogame character so please stop it will never happen.
_me

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Say hello to Bayonetta lul. Weak argument IMO. Non-Nintendo characters will continue to appear in Smash because that's how Nintendo sells more consoles and more Smash copies. You can only go so far with Ridley, K.K rool etc. Nintendo fans will buy Smash regardless. A lot of people who barely follow Nintendo franchises play Smash due to third parties. Sakurai must expand if he want Smash to continue to grow. There were people who quit Smash after Brawl due to Snake being cut. Nintendo cares about money first and foremost, so Cloud/ Bayo being in isn't that surprising to non-Nintendo fans. I don't know why Nintendo fans pretend like Nintendo isn't a company that seeks profit. Yeah yeah "tradition" but tradition fades away over time. None of y'all would be even turning down GOKU if Sakurai would have gone through and added James Bond in Melee. He can easily change his mind about this just like he changed his mind about Ridley after the West constantly brought Ridley up. GOKU is massively popular in Japan and Japan always get priority over what other countries "think" should happen to Smash. Ridley would have been in if he was popular in Japan and probably Walugi (Japan does not like Waluigi). Why do you think small Ike is back? Buffed Ike is despised in Japan.

(Hello Corrin / FE / hell even Cloud is extremely massive in JP.) There are far more people who would buy Smash for GOKU than there are people who wouldn't buy Smash for GOKU as most people don't care about semantics and the details. RIP Nintendo purists; your loss.

It's not fun being told Ridley is too big for over adecade and that K. Rool is irrelevant to be in Smash hmm?

Besides people acting like fans who want GOKU are asking for Naruto etc. The only people who bring up Shrek etc.. are ironically the people who only reason he shouldn't be in is he because manga.

tl:dr Let people have their fun and let the best fandom win (daisy etc..).
Disagreement is as much a part of the fun as support is, or else we'd all be knee-deep in memes and celebrities. We can't disprove that a non-video game character will ever get into Smash, sure, but we also can't disprove that the sun won't suddenly rise in the west tomorrow with such logic.

Oddball

Smash Lord
People can want whatever they want.

We're past bottom of the 20th barrel characters at this point. People can ask for whatever that isn't some dumb meme "because memes" now.
Are you trying to say that Goku for Smash ISN'T a dumb meme? I can't say I agree with you on that one.

And Goku is a fine character.
Can't say I agree with that one either. Goku was a pretty horrible character. it's just that his series had lots of fights and things blowing up and he's "the most powerful guy ever!!!!!" which appeals to a lot of people.

To answer the main question of the title. How do I react to those people? I usually use the phrase, "you, you're not allowed to have opinions anymore," in a tone of voice that implies I'm very disapinted in them.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The more people are saying no to Goku, the more I want Goku in Smash. I find SmashBoards rule about fourth-party characters to be dumb when there are some video game characters that could be unlikely for Smash. Why is Sora accepted as a genuine candidate? His games are full of Disney characters. And we already do have an anime that's been over represented in Smash: Pokémon. Pokémon may have started as a game series, but the Pokémon anime had started around that time to popularize the series and at the time of Smash 64, the Pokémon anime was more popular than the games, and there are some things inspired by the anime in Smash. Pokémon say their names instead of making an electronic noise. Misty's trophy in Melee used her anime outfit instead of her design from the games. Lucario actually appeared in a movie two years before being caught in the games. The way Pokémon's been represented in Smash while influenced by the anime just helps Goku's chances. And guess who's one character who almost made it into Melee but had to be cut because of denied permissions? James Bond. Who sees James Bond as a video game character? And this was before Snake was put in Brawl. And as long as most of the newcomers are Nintendo characters, a few third-party and non-gaming characters won't hurt because Nintendo will still take up most of the roster.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I want it just because it doesnt make sense. Break the rules with a few characters is part of the fun to me with Smash.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'd say "wow, you don't get half the flak I do for suggesting Master Chief be in the game".

In a post Cloud world I don't really consider many characters off limits for Smash. Since Cloud was the joke for so many years. The proto-Goku. And I don't feel like Goku himself is all that farfetched. Dude has appeared in more video games than most of the playable characters. Said games currently being published by the same publisher aiding Nintendo in both Smash 4 and Ultimate's development. The door may not be wide open, but it is unlocked.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
There's no reason to take this "videogame-only" fan rule so seriously.

Wanting Goku is fine.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I love Dragon Ball.
I love Smash Bros.
But I just don't want Goku in Smash at all. The thing is, at this point, I consider there's a strong chance for him to be in the game, and I can't finish to be happy with that idea.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'd be perfectly fine with or without him, but I have to say that if he did somehow get in, I would greatly enjoy the massive amounts of both hype and salt that came with him.

As for his status as an anime character as opposed to video game... I mean, there have been Dragon Ball games pretty much as long as games have existed. I'd personally consider him an honorary gaming character.

Plus, Sakurai actually considered James Bond for Melee, who also would've only gotten in because of a beloved 007 game, and he's changed his mind several times in regards to what is and isn't possible in Smash. Basically, the rules are only rules until they're not. They are subject to change any time that Sakurai sees fit, which he's proven over and over again.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
People who don't want Goku in make no sense to me. He would be great and with namko Bandai being invlved in smash, and even funimations comment on twitter about Goku joining, he should be a shoe in.

He's japan's mascot, he deserves to be there. And that's where the non video game character line is drawn.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I wanna see Goku just because he's the last often suggested character who has been deemed impossible by all of GameFAQs, Cloud pretty much made anything possible in my eyes. Since Ultimate is the final Smash game in a sense, and Dragon Ball games are the 4th best selling fighting game franchise (which might surpass Smash temporarily since the Switch port of Fighterz releases a few months before SSBU), I don't really see adding him an opening any flood gates for more anime characters, unless of course he got an Echo Fighter who is also from Dragon Ball.

Also, I unironically want to see Doomguy and Master Chief, so it would be hypocritical of me to say no to other characters who were thrown out as "lol stupid" a decade ago.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Let me be clear: there are boundaries that shouldn't be crossed.

Let Smash be a franchise celebrating the best of Nintendo and third-parties. Leave Goku where he should be.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Are you trying to say that Goku for Smash ISN'T a dumb meme? I can't say I agree with you on that one.
Hmmm? Goku is the star of literally the biggest and best major fighting game release in at least the last few years in Dragon Ball FighterZ from the two best fighting game developers on the planet for the last decade plus (Arc System Works and Namco Bandai). That's not a meme... that's more like a fighting game character going from one fighting game to another. Plus Goku has been in several other good fighting games, like Super Dragon Ball before that.

Goku at this point is the face of the FGC in regards to characters.

Smash already took a ton of mechanics and inspiration from Marvel vs. Capcom, as well as 2 characters that appear in that series (Mega Man and Ryu). I don't see why taking mechanics and inspiration from Dragon Ball FighterZ (which is basically better Marvel at this point) or even a character is silly.
To answer the main question of the title. How do I react to those people? I usually use the phrase, "you, you're not allowed to have opinions anymore," in a tone of voice that implies I'm very disapinted in them.
Talking down to people like this is the epitome of pathetic elitism in speculation. Let people have opinions as to which characters they want in Smash without talking down to them. Talking down to people about what characters they want to play as in a children's toy is actually sad to read.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm pretty much 100% against the idea. Yea sure, I get it, DB and Goku are both popular, he's been in fighting games before, but does he really fit in Smash is the question (well, Bayo technically doesn't either but she's in, and we can't do a thing about that).

Besides, if they want him playable, ppl can just play the DB games where he belongs. Next thing you know, if he ever did make it in Smash, like someone else said, more ppl would just want more and more, and plus I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo gave him a Super Saiyan mechanic or whatever that'd probably be along the lines of Limit Cloud on a higher scale if he actually somehow made it in. Do we want another Bayo and pseudo Cloud situation with this? Anyways, ppl can want him in if they want, and that's fine, but it actually happening is not likely in any scenario.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I tell them with as straight a face as I can possibly manage that Superman deserves that slot instead and try not to lose it when they turn purple.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, I find it hypocritical that the same people who don't want Goku in actually think Sora has a better chance.

Kes

Smash Cadet
My biggest, "never ever" wish for this game is for Hatsune Miku with Megurine Luka as an Echo. They aren't anime, but they aren't characters who originated in a video game. So, I relate to people who want Goku. Just because it can never happen doesn't mean we can't want it. I kind of want to see Goku myself, because the "4th party rule" is the last big rule that needs to fall, and I'd like to see it fall. There are plenty of characters with significant history with video games that just so happened to not start in a video game. It's a silly, arbitrary rule preventing popular characters with strong video game ties from getting in.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Well, I find it hypocritical that the same people who don't want Goku in actually think Sora has a better chance.
If I may ask, how come? Sora's a popular video game character. It seems plausible they could work out a deal at some point.

I think people feel threatened by Goku to some extent, just because of the ripples it would create becoming tsunamis. If I see Goku, I think about people eventually wanting Naruto, or someone from Attack on Titan, or Ichigo, or Inu Yasha, or some other anime I've never heard of, and having the open door as a justification to move Smash towards including more and more anime characters, which is a medium already over-saturated with fighting games I don't have any interest in outside the Castlevania Netflix series.

Personally, I'd prefer the roster stayed gaming-related, but I suppose my mind could be changed under the right conditions.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
If a licensed character has made a significant contribution to Nintendo’s history, I would be fine with them getting in. Whether or not Goku has done that is up for debate. But personally I feel like Mickey, James Bond, the Ninja Turtles and Hamtaro also fit the bill. Licensed games are fun to talk about because they have a reputation for being trash but every now and then there’s that gem that challenges the notion. Like Goldeneye or FighterZ.

The main thing though is just to be respectful. Even if I think someone’s idea is totally ridiculous, it’s not right for me to make them feel small about it. Maybe some fun teasing, but always keep it light and don’t tear into the person.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I understand the want for a beloved character to be brought into the game, because I very much enjoy said character myself. But it is highly unrealistic that Goku would ever get in. Sakurai himself considers requests for Goku to be a joke, he even went on a second later to make a note that he even gets requests for Spongebob occasionally. He compared Goku to Spongebob. Can Goku be any less likely after that?

Goku's pretty boring honestly moveset wise. I wouldn't even classify him as the most interesting fighter in Dragonball. The humans and Piccolo always have and always will have more interesting abilities than the saiyans.
Pretty boring moveset wise? Well clearly he's so boring that in Dragon Ball FighterZ they gave Piccolo 3 different forms to choose from, and each has different moves all while still feeling like Piccolo. Sarcasm aside, Goku having multiple forms with different attacks in multiple games (no DBFZ did not do that first) means his moveset variety is quite high, and I guarantee you not boring at all.

Infinite flight would have to be removed and watching him fall to his death would feel less true to his character than shrinking Ridley a tiny bit down.
Did you watch Dragon Ball Super? There's this thing called the Tournament of Power. One of the rules is no flight. And it's not an honor-based rule, it's a hard fast rule. As in, "you can't fly even if you vigorously tried to." It made for an impressively interesting dynamic.

Lucario already does most the stuff Goku would do; a counter after image move, kamehamehas, a super form, aura/ki manipulation. Putting Goku in will make Lucario feel a little redundant to me.
You claim to be a fan of Dragon Ball, yet you're Implying that Goku only has those things to draw from for a moveset. No Kaioken? No Spirit Bomb, Dragon Fist, Power Pole, or even Martial Arts unique to himself?

Ryu also does a few of those things: ki wave attack, ki manipulation, super form (though not present in Smash). Are you saying that having similar abilities or sharing the same abilities is a good indicator of whether or not a character can get in? Mario jumps as his signature ability, obviously that prevents any other characters who jump from getting in. (There goes a good portion of Ultimate's cast).

Also, Goku has done those things since before Street Fighter and Pokemon were even things that existed. So Lucario and Ryu are actually stealing from Goku.

Also if redundancy is something you'd rather avoid in Smash, I regret to inform you that they've added these things called Echo Fighters...

Also Goku's the face of another massive fighting crossover game with the Shonen Jump gang.
Him vs. Mario isn't exactly a match up I've always desired to see either.
I guess some may want to see Sonic vs. Goku maybe due to their super forms but there's no one IN Smash that people constantly used to pit him against in playground arguments or that could be considered a rival of some sorts to him. At least vs. Luffy he's got 'most popular manga' or against Saitama or even Superman he'd have the strongest in the universe fight.

"Hey guys, who would win? Goku or Princess Peach?" is something I can't fathom anyone ever asking for.
There's nothing here I disagree with. I just wanted to point a few flaws I saw with your argument. I hope you don't mind my doing so.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If I may ask, how come? Sora's a popular video game character. It seems plausible they could work out a deal at some point.

I think people feel threatened by Goku to some extent, just because of the ripples it would create becoming tsunamis. If I see Goku, I think about people eventually wanting Naruto, or someone from Attack on Titan, or Ichigo, or Inu Yasha, or some other anime I've never heard of, and having the open door as a justification to move Smash towards including more and more anime characters, which is a medium already over-saturated with fighting games I don't have any interest in outside the Castlevania Netflix series.

Personally, I'd prefer the roster stayed gaming-related, but I suppose my mind could be changed under the right conditions.
Sora may be a popular gaming character, but have you played Kingdom Hearts? There's Disney characters everywhere. Sora's companions are the Disney icons Donald Duck and Goofy. A majority of the levels are adaptations of Disney movies. His weapon has a Mickey Mouse keychain. And he's owned by Disney, so they would need permission from Disney to put Sora in and Disney would be listed in the copyrights for Smash Ultimate. Would anyone want Disney to be credited in a Nintendo game dedicated to video game characters when Disney is a movie company that would only do games with characters from their movies? Having Sora in would open as many floodgates as having Goku in.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I really think fourth-party characters should be allowed support threads. I mean, people should be able to dream about using whatever character they want in Smash. The whole game character vs. non-game character can be a grey area. People could dream about Batman being in Smash if they want. Lucario appeared in a movie two years before Diamond and Pearl. R.O.B. was a toy. Cloud barely appeared on Nintendo systems. Sakurai wanted to add James Bond to Melee. Dragon Ball has a lot of games. A couple days ago, there was a thread for Goku that the mods left open because he's been appearing in games since the 80's and has a ton of popular games. Up until people harrassed the thread and got it closed.

I don’t get mad I just ignore it, however kid Goku from the first Dragon ball with his tail and powerpole would be fun to use in a fighting game like Smash
My brother is one such person who would genuinely main Goku if he were in. He's in my "eh" pile, where I really wouldn't mind if he's in, but I'm not really excited about the prospect either. I've had so many chances to fight as Goku in various games over the last ~15 years.

If Goku really is getting in, I seriously hope it's Kid Goku, just to stick it to people. Power pole, more hand-to-hand martial arts and comedy, with that infectious Goku laugh:
Kid Goku. Would be sooooo funny (still unlikely)

I like dragonball so i'm inclined to understand why someone would want Goku in.

I love smash and understand why Goku won't make it in.

To avoid any conflict of ideas, i usually try fleeing by doing this:

TAIYO-KEN!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I love me some Dragonball.

I hate me some Dragonball in Smash.

When I see people suggest him and realize they are serious:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Same as Cloud, acknowledge the big deal it would be but not care too much since I have no attachment to the character.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's not going to happen as long as Sakurai remains committed to his "video game characters" rule, but honestly, the reasons why he sticks to it seem outdated.

He did acknowledge that he did consider asking for James Bond back in Melee, but the licensing between EON and Rare put a stop to that. He stated that's the ultimate reason why he only wants characters that debuted in games alone starting with Brawl: the licensing.

But Smash is no longer a fledgling franchise. It has grown into something that everyone wants their character in. Heck, I think Shueisha would pay Nintendo to put Goku in Smash.

So yes, I think if someone from Shueisha walked up to Nintendo with suitcases of money and promised that they would give more to Nintendo as long as they put Goku in Smash... I don't think Sakurai could really refuse at that point.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Goku shouldn't be in, regardless of wanting him or wether he's qualified. If he got in the flood gates would be opened and there would be no going back. I don't think that's something Sakurai is prepared to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom