• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you know you're good?

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
When it comes to Local multi-player action, me and my brother are undefeated, however my brother kills me with Kirby Vs. Luigi matchup, which is our mains.

Is online tournaments the only way to find out if I'm any good? I look at all the Luigi Main's their primarily air attackers, but I have a bit of a ground game with him but my friend roster, until I joined here is weak.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You don't.

According to the snobby pros (and not the kind hearted, cool ones) you're only good when THEY say that you're good. Even if you somehow beat them, THEY can and will say you're still not good. :p

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Enter a tournament. Not a gamestop tournament, or one held in your basement with your little sisters and friends who also suck, but a real one hosted by someone you've never met before. If you win it, you're probably pretty good.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Enter a tournament. Not a gamestop tournament, or one held in your basement with your little sisters and friends who also suck, but a real one hosted by someone you've never met before. If you win it, you're probably pretty good.
Additionally, it can't be at somebody else's basement, either. Unless ranked players go to take their money.

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
no such thing as being good in brawl!!
when you consistently win against many different people and chracters.
TRIP. GAH

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm goin to a tourney tommorrow. I'll find out then. :p

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
If you beat an older smash player who you (and most other people) KNOW is good. My experience with Smash Bros. over the years has always shown me this : skill comes with age (and practice). I mean, how many 8-year-olds do you see winning tourneys?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
You dont have to win or place well in some major tourney to be good. That would mean you are one of the best.

You dont have to beat people on Wifi, they probably have more experience with button lag than you.

I really dont know how it is determined...

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Whatever the definition is, just don't have Wifi be a determining factor, whatever you do...

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
You don't fail. (Incidently, this means I'm a terrible player :p)

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you should count yourself as a good player, ever. I can lead you to let your guard down. "Overconfidence is the greatest enemy" says one particular soul calibur character.

Banzai_Kitten

Smash Cadet
You're good when you don't suck. That's all I can think of lol. If you can consitently beat human opponents at the game, then you are good.

You set the bar yourself, the line where below it you suck and above you're good. The bar can be anything like fighting level 9 comps or WiFi. However, these aren't the best ways at determining your skill. The best way is tourneys, by far.

I consider myself good at the game. But I'm nowhere near as close to the skill of some of the people on this board. So it's what you see yourself as. I hope that's a good explanation. I'm terrible at explaining. :laugh:

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
your good when u know this game like breathing. u can beat many people yet u still love a challenge and when someone beats you , you learn from it, adapt and correct mistakes. only then you have the force. or be good. something O_O;;

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
I usually determine my skill by watching pros play.
If I'm able to master the skills that they use in combination with my main, then I'm learning. I'm not considered good just yet.

However, If I'm actually able to beat them mastering the techniques that I've previously learned and used, then I'm good. But there'll always be someone better then you kiddo. Simply because your able to compete on a tournament level, that shouldn't be what gauges your Smashin' skills.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, you know you're good when everyone you challenge gets stomped.
But, you're only good if you think of them as good.
If they are noobs, then how can you call yourself great?
You are a liar to yourself.
Battle people as 'good' as you, and then you can achieve the title of good.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
If you beat an older smash player who you (and most other people) KNOW is good. My experience with Smash Bros. over the years has always shown me this : skill comes with age (and practice). I mean, how many 8-year-olds do you see winning tourneys?
Age does not help determine if you're good or not. Skill does.

Wasn't Bombsoldier taking tournaments when he was 12 or something?

I've seen an 8 year old with a good Marth in Melee. L canceling and everything.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I didn't know 8 year olds were up to that.....
Awesome.

Anyway, I agree that age doesn't mean more skill.
I'm fourteen, and I beat Smash veterans who played the original, and were good at it as well.
They've played all the Smashes.
That doesn't mean I get beaten easily.
I think I should start doing tournaments....

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
I think that earning the respect of your opponents is what makes you a "good player". It's a plus if you are willing to step out of your comfort zone (like playing with just your friends at home) and challenging other people around the world (in WiFi and/or tourneys) and performing well against them.

Eventually, you can't just "perform well" against those opponents. You have to win those matches to keep that respect. But earning it in the first place is most important.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
i think your good when you go to tournaments and not nessasarilly winning the whole thing but consistantly placing high up in the rankings. winning is a plus but its not required.

then when you call people to come to your house to train for an upcomming tourney they are too ashamed to show up. i guess it would suck to be good with my definition lol, your freinds wont go to your house for a game, but it happened, not to me but to someone i know.

also you dont have to be a good speller. lol

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Wifi is a different metagame of playing entirely. You can be a great player or a great wifi player, but you have to proove both ways and one doesn't mean you are the other.

When I play my cousin online, I usually lose to him, but face to face, I easily 2-3 stock him.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Throughout my Smash life I always asked myself that question until I decided to do something about it and confirm how good I am; involve yourself in your smash community, look at your city's threads, join weeklies, tournaments, and then you'll really know how good you are

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Well, you're decent if you can 2 or 3 stock lvl 9 computers. But good? I don't know any real way to tell.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Well, you're decent if you can 2 or 3 stock lvl 9 computers. But good? I don't know any real way to tell.
Nah... CPU's aren't a good way of measuring how "good" you are... Fighting those dodging machines becomes a repetitive task that you get used 2 and they don't reflect at ALL how a human fights and in order to be considered "good" (in my opinion...) you need to compare yourself to other ppl rather than computers... By 3 stocking computers you're preparing yourself for the wrong thing and you'll be surprised when fighting humans; it's never easier to spike a human than a PC :p

Top Bottom