• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you get used to the ledgehop required for waveland onto stage/ ledgehop uair?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It just takes lots of practice. What button do you use for jump? I use down to drop and X to jump, but a good amount of people like to use c-away to drop and up to jump to eliminate the chance of an unwanted fastfall.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yeah it definitely takes practice, so what I did was take my time with it.

First, learn to just ledge hop (getting up on the stage without using the climbing up animation)

Secondly, make sure you're doing this on a level like Final D, Battlefield, or Dreamland. On training mode (since you don't need the c stick and have infinite lives)

Thirdly, make sure you jump with x or y while doing a quarter-circle motion with the control stick while pressing either R or L.

Daniel_the_Seraph

Smash Ace
It just takes lots of practice. What button do you use for jump? I use down to drop and X to jump, but a good amount of people like to use c-away to drop and up to jump to eliminate the chance of an unwanted fastfall.
Exactly what I do. Control stick straight down, X to jump.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I use control stick away>control stick towards>X>air dodge.

All this has to be done in less than a quarter of a second! I'm not good enough to do it consistently; I find it too risky to use under the stress of a match.

If you can get it to work consistently, though, it's very fast and very useful.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I have gotten the hang of this in the past four months so I can understand how annoying it is to get used to.
I first started to get the ledge hop down, I held down and pressed X and moved the control stick toward the ledge. Once you get that down I started to add the trigger right when I though I saw Ganon's foot touch the stage.

It takes time but you can get it down.

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
Tipman taught me how to do it well since I had the same problem.

C-Stick away or down (i use down) > Up on control stick > Left or right (depending on edge) and L or R.

Works fine for me, i get plenty of height.

Renth

Smash Hero
I don't use the C stick at all for that noise, tap down - hold straight forward jump hit L or R. it's ssimmple

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
says renth, the ganon king of wave-everything.

though it really is simple...even i'm getting consistent on both sides.

OH do take note, that when you're learning it, learn it on both sides. when i started, i only did it on the right side, and when i was in battle, i tried to do it from the left ledge, and SD'd A LOT. its the same concept either way though, but obviously the hand motion is slightly different.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I tried both the (c-stick drop and up jump) and the (down drop, x jump) methods, but now I can really only do it consistently with c-stick away, y to jump onto the stage. It requires a weird pivot of your right hand, but since I don't do any thing with R ever (I waveland with L) and I'm not going to be grabbing with Ganon right out of ledge hop, it doesn't really affect my game.

Still can't figure out how to moonwalk, though.

Daniel_the_Seraph

Smash Ace
Tipman taught me how to do it well since I had the same problem.

C-Stick away or down (i use down) > Up on control stick > Left or right (depending on edge) and L or R.

Works fine for me, i get plenty of height.
This is great, and I tried it, but about half the time, when I hit cstick down, Ganon immediately dairs after dropping. What am I doing wrong?

Gardevior

Smash Lord
You're not pressing the C-Stick fast enough, I think. Usually when I c-stick away and hold it for just a few frames, I bair (same with dair I suppose). But when I just tap the c-stick, I never do it. Maybe that's your problem?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
:( gard ledgehop grab is useful...in fact its almost necessary for the marth and sheik matchups to edgeguard properly.

i hope you find a way to be able to do it. and you should go to the last billfest so we can get some matches in and i can meet you :)

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Heh, I was actually watching some Linguini matches the other day, and he did it five-six times per match, and I remebered my post and said "Great, now some good Ganon is going to correct me and I'll have to admit I was wrong." I'm definitely gonna hit the 'cube and find a way to do this right.

As for Billfest, lol...I still reaaallly suck at this game. But I'll try to get a ride with Foxy or whoever at NCSU is going.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I just use the double jump -> run-off technique instead. I can't Bair, but I can Uair if speed is the issue.
That's a good option, but it's a bigger commitment. With RLD you can also simply ff back to the ledge as a mindgame (and then RLD again or ledgehop into something), which doesn't take much time at all (RLD > FF is an infinite ledge stall; just to show how quick it is) and puts you back on the ledge. And of course there is the benefit of being able to use the reverse uair.

Also, here is a vid for you Gardevior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0DIE-HlghY#t=5m20s

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Side note - Some stages are much harder to reverse waveland and conversely some stages are easier.
True. I think FoD, YS, and even DL64 require a bit more speed/better timing.

FD, BF, and any stage with a ledge and no wall (KJ64, brinstar) is cake.

Actually, they're all easy. :chuckle:

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Wow thanks spider. That who quarter circle motion really helped. Lol while i was practicing i was wonder how did the figure that out.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
every time i try to RLD during a match, i DI on, and then spot dodge lol. i use runoffs a lot though...probably more than i should. they just look so cool to me.

Top Bottom