• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about the current stage list?

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
Haven't seen a real good stage list discussion thread in a while. I'm just generally curious as to how people feel about it right now.

Gea

Smash Master
Terrible, but I've always loved larger stage lists. All of this reduction is being overly clinical. I understand putting money on the line and all that, but it is past the point where stages are being banned in an attempt to balance the game or because people prefer not to go there rather than for gamebreaking reasons.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I love the current stagelist, but I feel like the counterpicking distinction should be taken away.

I miss Mute City and RC, but I understand why they are not recommended by the MBR.

If anyone's attempting to balance characters, they have the wrong reasons. Gameplay should be balanced

Lava, circle camping, and moving obstacle courses aren't very balanced. Also, what's really balanced is a flat floor

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
If they ever go to BF only I'm quitting. Variety is fun. Drab stages with stupid ****ing ledges aren't cool. I really want more stages, like at least KJ 64 that stage is ****ing awesome.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i've been playing in tournaments since around 07 when everyone used the classic stagelist with mute city/rainbow/corneria on

and that **** suckkkkkeddd ****kkk

while not perfect, the stagelist we have right now is really good

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
If they ever go to BF only I'm quitting. Variety is fun. Drab stages with stupid ****ing ledges aren't cool. I really want more stages, like at least KJ 64 that stage is ****ing awesome.
Why would they go BF only? Is there a real logical reason to do that?

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
Neutrals
battlefield
Yoshi's story
Dreamland

Counterpicks
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo jungle 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City
Jungle Japes

Maybe even more stages in the counterpicks. I've always felt that the starters should be these three and there should be a good selection of counterpicks. Having just one CP feels silly to me.

Oracle

Smash Master
epsilon i don't really understand what you're saying. gameplay can't be balanced without the characters being balanced, since melee gameplay pretty much amounts to interactions between characters. Unless you're talking about randomness and unpredictability contributing to worse players winning, in which case thats not really a part of the stage list anymore.

Why would they go BF only? Is there a real logical reason to do that?
The general consensus is that regarding relevant tiers, that stage is the most balanced, since it doesn't give significant advantage/disadvantage to any of them (relative to the advantages given by the other 'neutral' stages). Not that i agree with that viewpoint, just explaining where it comes from.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
The general consensus is that regarding relevant tiers, that stage is the most balanced, since it doesn't give significant advantage/disadvantage to any of them (relative to the advantages given by the other 'neutral' stages). Not that i agree with that viewpoint, just explaining where it comes from.
I actually do kinda think it is a the most balanced, but I don't really agree with the idea of every set happening on battlefield.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
the ruleset is pretty decent i guess. i don't like randomness in stages though, i wish we were on a hacked melee modified stage list

Mahie

Smash Lord
the ruleset is pretty decent i guess. i don't like randomness in stages though, i wish we were on a hacked melee modified stage list
  • Shy guys
  • Wind
  • FoD Platforms
  • PS transformations

Those aren't too game breaking, and I don't think I forgot any. Sure PS can change quite a few things but it's a counterpick in the first place, so I guess it's kind of fine.

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see much more variation on the stagelist. I know there is a lot stages those don't serve the purpose and metagame basis way too much on stagegimmics (mk1&2, I mountain etc) but there is also stages those relys mostly on players ability to handle the stage (RC, PF, corneria etc). I would love to see those stages making it back to stagelist but feels like they usually get punished because a lot of professional players don't feel comfortable in such a strange stages and their opinions have a usually a powerful impact.

I would like to have those stages back (at least on doubles gaming). Some people say, that moving stages serve camping way too much, but I totally dissagree with that. I've seen a player getting time outed more often on DL than on RC for example. Also crying about some rare "falling through the stage (seel on PF most often) feels very pointless argument.

:phone:

epsilon i don't really understand what you're saying. gameplay can't be balanced without the characters being balanced, since melee gameplay pretty much amounts to interactions between characters. Unless you're talking about randomness and unpredictability contributing to worse players winning, in which case that's not really a part of the stage list anymore.
Gameplay being balanced wasn't entirely literally meaning balance gameplay

I was actually meaning the focus should be on gameplay

What stages are most commonly played on? The 5/6 neutrals. They're well fit to fight on. Stages like Corneria, Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, etc have dumb features which ruin things (camping behind the fin, circle camping, reducing the fight to tag on an obstacle course, etc)

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Stages like Corneria, Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, etc have dumb features which ruin things (camping behind the fin, circle camping, reducing the fight to tag on an obstacle course, etc)
Out of curiosity, could you link me to two examples of high-level play being reduced to:

1. Fin camping on Corneria
2. Tag in an obstacle course on RC
?

:phone:

Oracle

Smash Master
Gameplay being balanced wasn't entirely literally meaning balance gameplay

I was actually meaning the focus should be on gameplay

What stages are most commonly played on? The 5/6 neutrals. They're well fit to fight on. Stages like Corneria, Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, etc have dumb features which ruin things (camping behind the fin, circle camping, reducing the fight to tag on an obstacle course, etc)
Is "tag on the obstacle course" inherently uncompetitive? You still have to do everything that you do on other stages to win, you just have to adapt your positioning to a moving stage. Just because the play is different doesn't make it bad.

Dumb is an opinion unrelated to the competitive aspect. If you don't like the stages, thats fine, but that's not really justification for banning them.

Turnerfield77

Smash Cadet
I'm probably the only one on this opinion but i really like Great Bay, again, please don't rag on me, but it was a stage i played way before competitive play so it has a special nostalgic place in my heart

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm probably the only one on this opinion but i really like Great Bay, again, please don't rag on me, but it was a stage i played way before competitive play so it has a special nostalgic place in my heart
It'd be fun, but I could never play a stage with a hazard that damages players.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I just want Brinstar and Mute City back

all of the other stages are dumb
What if I said you could choose one?

I really think 2 more counter picks should be added and I think Brinstar and Jungle Japes should be the ones personally. I'm not sure how bad clap trap is but I think the stage is good compared to Kongo Jungle 64. This would **** on low tiers but really...who cares about them anyways?
I've always thought those 3 as the "neutrals" as well(big medium small), but often it would end up just going to battlefield, somewhat strengthening the argument for battlefield only first match...

Which I actually would probably support.
Well striking doesn't take very long and while that usually does happen there are plenty of times when it doesn't so I really don't see much of an issue with the option to strike. Any argument against it could just go back to how often BF is picked.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I'd like more variety in the stage list but I generally don't like the other levels not on the stage list so until stage hacks become really big/more in number it does its job.

Gea

Smash Master
What if I said you could choose one?

I really think 2 more counter picks should be added and I think Brinstar and Jungle Japes should be the ones personally. I'm not sure how bad clap trap is but I think the stage is good compared to Kongo Jungle 64. This would **** on low tiers but really...who cares about them anyways?
Klap Trap is on a 10 second timer. Basically instant death unless you SDI ledgetech one of the edges. However, you have to already be below-stage to get hit. The issue most people have with the stage is that they don't learn it and are convinced you can camp there.

I have no issues with it.

Brinstar should have never left. Most people hated it because they thought it was a free win for jiggs and if they banned it she had mute. Aka they wanted to balance the cast via stagelist.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I would like to see Japes tested. I feel like it could work as a counterpick, maybe.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
bum vs. chu MLG Long Island 2007 went there

bum vs. Mew2king MLG Long Island 2007 went there

step yo game up

Gea

Smash Master
Was it removed for being too campy?
Do you want what was said or what the truth was? The truth was that people just didn't like going there. What was said was klaptrap was too damaging and the sides forced some characters into terrible positions. In reality Kongo 64 has had worse recorded sets with camping issues and that stage is fine too. Japes was never played enough for a dominant strategy to develop.

Top Bottom