• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about “kicking” option in Battle arena?

Do you like the kick option in battle arena?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
I feel kicking in battle arenas are abused by a lot of players. Like you play by the rules and they still end up kicking you, especially if you best them. It’s very disheartening why this is so appearant.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
It comes with the feature tbh, not giving the option to kick players from your own lobby for literally any reason would be significantly worse than any current "abuse" of the system I think

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I find it annoying if I get kicked after one loss, or am really getting into playing someone then get kicked.

But it's really good for those stubborn people who you have a terrible connection with and they won't leave. As the alternative would be to just shut down the arena and remake it, which would probably cause more complaints than being booted.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
There is no way around it and it's better to have that option anyways. The only thing you can do is hope you get a fair and decent host rather than a petty one.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
I find it annoying if I get kicked after one loss, or am really getting into playing someone then get kicked.

But it's really good for those stubborn people who you have a terrible connection with and they won't leave. As the alternative would be to just shut down the arena and remake it, which would probably cause more complaints than being booted.
The game automatically either kicks out the laggy person mid battle OR if your connection isn’t stable enough: you aren’t even allowed to play online. So that connection kick excuse isn’t it a good one. I don’t believe there should be any reason to kick people out on public arenas. On private with friends arenas sure? But public? No. It makes no sense and it’s abused too much.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The game automatically either kicks out the laggy person mid battle OR if your connection isn’t stable enough: you aren’t even allowed to play online. So that connection kick excuse isn’t it a good one. I don’t believe there should be any reason to kick people out on public arenas. On private with friends arenas sure? But public? No. It makes no sense and it’s abused too much.
Then what are they supposed to do? Play against someone they do not enjoy playing against?

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I think kicking is necessary in any game that involves group functionality. As long as only the host is able to do it. Votekick systems are horrendous in my opinion, as anyone can activate it and get you kicked for no reason.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
No, that doesn't happen all the time. If it's really unstable, you'll disconnect from each other, but you basically have to be at a standstill for that to happen. You CAN end up playing people who you have a lot of input latency against, or your connection with them is stuttering enough to affect the gameplay - but is still 'technically' good enough to be able to play online. I will usually at least finish the first game, but if they keep trying to stick around afterward like the lag was nothing to them, then they're getting the boot. I don't consider it quality gameplay, and I hope you wouldn't either.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Then what are they supposed to do? Play against someone they do not enjoy playing against?
Yes, and they need to DEAL WITH IT. The ***? This is a gah dam public arena. Everyone has the right to play. If you want specific people, go make friends and contact them so you guys can play the specific type of way you want. In friends room, kick all the people you want. If someone lags in a way the game finds acceptable and you don’t, you need to get over it and deal with it as well. Understanding that it’s your fault for going to public online places to find your “perfect” satisfactory gameplay. Look at all of you, defending this trash. No wonder the people on battle arena are so toxic. They actually think what they are doing is good. What a shame.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Yes, and they need to DEAL WITH IT. .
No they do not, they can just kick. It's you who needs to deal with the fact that you cannot stop them.

Everyone has the right to play.
When you kick someone from your arena then that someone can just join another arena or start his own. Kicking them does not prevent them from playing. So their right to play is not being infringed upon.

If you want specific people, go make friends and contact them so you guys can play the specific type of way you want.
I'd normally only kick people for lag. So that means that I want to play against people who do not lag. That's far too general for a private arena, though too specific to be guaranteed to never need a kick. Besides, I do not want to make friends just for Smash, because that takes time. Kicking laggers is much quicker.

If someone lags in a way the game finds acceptable and you don’t, you need to get over it and deal with it as well.
I can deal with that just fine. If it's my arena then I deal with it by kicking the lagger, otherwise I deal with it by leaving.

Understanding that it’s your fault for going to public online places to find your “perfect” satisfactory gameplay.
Or is it the lagger's fault for joining games where the host is allowed to kick them, while having so much lag that many people dislike playing against them? Or maybe it's no ones fault at all, since both people are in their right. The laggers have the right to try to join and ruin other people's games and the hosts have the right to have a public room that's enjoyable and lag free.

Look at all of you, defending this trash. No wonder the people on battle arena are so toxic. They actually think what they are doing is good. What a shame.
Like it or not, hosts being able to kick is part of the game and you need to accept it in order to play the game. In the end, it's Nintendo who makes the rules and according to their rules hosts kicking other players from their public rooms for whatever reason is fine. If you disagree with the rules of SSBU arena's very fiercely then the best thing that you can do is not accept them by not playing that part of the game.

Of course Nintendo does not dictate whether we're jerks or not or what our morals are, but a kick is not a jerk move. It's just a way for the host to say that he does not want to play against the kicked person. Like refusing a challenge. I think it's better to not take it as an insult.

Last edited:

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
No they do not, they can just kick. It's you who needs to deal with the fact that you cannot stop them.

When you kick someone from your arena then that someone can just join another arena or start his own. Kicking them does not prevent them from playing. So their right to play is not being infringed upon.

I'd normally only kick people for lag. So that means that I want to play against people who do not lag. That's far too general for a private arena, though too specific to be guaranteed to never need a kick. Besides, I do not want to make friends just for Smash, because that takes time. Kicking laggers is much quicker.

I can deal with that just fine. If it's my arena then I deal with it by kicking the lagger, otherwise I deal with it by leaving.

Or is it the lagger's fault for joining games where the host is allowed to kick them, while having so much lag that many people dislike playing against them? Or maybe it's no ones fault at all, since both people are in their right. The laggers have the right to try to join and ruin other people's games and the hosts have the right to have a public room that's enjoyable and lag free.

Like it or not, hosts being able to kick is part of the game and you need to accept it in order to play the game. In the end, it's Nintendo who makes the rules and according to their rules hosts kicking other players from their public rooms for whatever reason is fine. If you disagree with the rules of SSBU arena's very fiercely then the best thing that you can do is not accept them by not playing that part of the game.

Of course Nintendo does not dictate whether we're jerks or not or what our morals are, but a kick is not a jerk move. It's just a way for the host to say that he does not want to play against the kicked person. Like refusing a challenge. I think it's better to not take it as an insult.
I just dissagree. I think it’s a stupid feature and it’s being abused by a lot of scumish people who have infested a large portion of the battle arena populace, in my area at least. But, agree to dissagree. Good talk.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Yes, and they need to DEAL WITH IT. The ***? This is a gah dam public arena. Everyone has the right to play. If you want specific people, go make friends and contact them so you guys can play the specific type of way you want. In friends room, kick all the people you want. If someone lags in a way the game finds acceptable and you don’t, you need to get over it and deal with it as well. Understanding that it’s your fault for going to public online places to find your “perfect” satisfactory gameplay. Look at all of you, defending this trash. No wonder the people on battle arena are so toxic. They actually think what they are doing is good. What a shame.
I just dissagree. I think it’s a stupid feature and it’s being abused by a lot of scumish people who have infested a large portion of the battle arena populace, in my area at least. But, agree to dissagree. Good talk.
Bro, come into my arena with a garbage connection, and I'm going to kick you. Sorry if that's offensive. You're joining someone else's arena, and expecting them to abide by your expectations? It's their space, you're the guest. You don't have much control. It's not my fault for going into a public space and expecting decent gameplay. It's your fault for having a bad connection. Make your own arena if you want control over who joins and who doesn't.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If the person who comes in is a troll or a griefer, you will want to be able to kick them out of your arena if necessary. If I open a public space to have fun with others, it's also my right to throw out those that try to ruin my fun. Imagine going to a ballpark, a public place, and you have that one guy who comes in and just tries to irritate others, everyone will want to rightfully kick them out and they don't have to deal with him.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Doctor Big O Doctor Big O Yes there are people who are unreasonable with kicking, but it's a feature we need to have to keep arenas a healthy environment. I've seen people lag so much to the point where the game becomes virtually unplayable, but they were just barely moving so they wouldn't get autokicked. I've had no choice but to remove them from the arena so they don't ruin the game for everyone else. It's not mine, or anyone else's problem that you get so salty whenever you get kicked. If you're lagging so much, "dealing with it" is not an optimal solution for the host, or the other players.

You should be thankful that it's not a votekicking system that can be started by any player in the arena.

Last edited:

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
If the person who comes in is a troll or a griefer, you will want to be able to kick them out of your arena if necessary. If I open a public space to have fun with others, it's also my right to throw out those that try to ruin my fun. Imagine going to a ballpark, a public place, and you have that one guy who comes in and just tries to irritate others, everyone will want to rightfully kick them out and they don't have to deal with him.
Then report him. Simple. Let admin do its job. And also block that player afterwards. Kicking it’s simply just stupid and none of the arguments you guys have made can stand. It’s simply boils down to “I don’t like him so he’s gone”. It’s so frustrating listening to people who defend this craap with self-centered arguments. There’s literally no good reason I’ve heard for kicking a player in a public arena.

Again, people who lag are a minority. And a good chunk of that minority get booted out mid game. So lagging isn’t a good excuse IMO. And it still is minimal to the absurd amount of garbage rats who use kicking to protect their pathetic swollen ego and hurt feelings after they lose a game. Those rodents are by far the majority of people who use the kicking option and that’s why kicking should be a disabled feature. There’s nothing healthy about man-child Battle Arena host who can’t take a loss and kick people left and right. They are scum of the earth and should be stopped even if it means barring through a few more laggy games. Again, friends arena. Kick all the people you want. It’s private and their arena. Public? Hell no.

edit: I’ll tell this one story. So I went to a battle arena against this really good player. I picked my usual warm up character. And she beat me easily. And she kept beating me so I actually had to get serious and pick my best character. And even then, she still laid the smack down on my behind. I played her like 8-10 times and only won once. It was so bad I HAD to leave. Like a dog with a tail under my legs as I just got disciplined. I wish I could her shout her out but idk of that’s a breach of personal info. But yeah, she was a boss and examplfied what it means to be a true warrior elite. I friend requested because she was a worthy foe and now we are friends online. That’s the spirit! A shame so many vermin on battle arena don’t live up to these basic principles of dignified combat. Anyway, I’m done talking about the culture battle arena. Makes me too angry. I’ll respond to anymore post if the argument is original, otherwise, I’ve said my piece and stand by it. Peace!

Last edited:

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
Its your arena, you should be able to kick anyone, and I personally want quality practice and not little jimmy on a nintendo phone.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Then report him. Simple. Let admin do its job. And also block that player afterwards. Kicking it’s simply just stupid and none of the arguments you guys have made can stand. It’s simply boils down to “I don’t like him so he’s gone”. It’s so frustrating listening to people who defend this craap with self-centered arguments. There’s literally no good reason I’ve heard for kicking a player in a public arena.

Again, people who lag are a minority. And a good chunk of that minority get booted out mid game. So lagging isn’t a good excuse IMO. And it still is minimal to the absurd amount of garbage rats who use kicking to protect their pathetic swollen ego and hurt feelings after they lose a game. Those rodents are by far the majority of people who use the kicking option and that’s why kicking should be a disabled feature. There’s nothing healthy about man-child Battle Arena host who can’t take a loss and kick people left and right. They are scum of the earth and should be stopped even if it means barring through a few more laggy games. Again, friends arena. Kick all the people you want. It’s private and their arena. Public? Hell no.

edit: I’ll tell this one story. So I went to a battle arena against this really good player. I picked my usual warm up character. And she beat me easily. And she kept beating me so I actually had to get serious and pick my best character. And even then, she still laid the smack down on my behind. I played her like 8-10 times and only won once. It was so bad I HAD to leave. Like a dog with a tail under my legs as I just got disciplined. I wish I could her shout her out but idk of that’s a breach of personal info. But yeah, she was a boss and examplfied what it means to be a true warrior elite. I friend requested because she was a worthy foe and now we are friends online. That’s the spirit! A shame so many vermin on battle arena don’t live up to these basic principles of dignified combat. Anyway, I’m done talking about the culture battle arena. Makes me too angry. I’ll respond to anymore post if the argument is original, otherwise, I’ve said my piece and stand by it. Peace!
Your grammar use and verbiage seem very reminiscent of someone who was recently permabanned on this site, who was the most obvious troll account in the world. So I'm having trouble not just writing you off in the same way, if you're not indeed the same person under a new account.

Because it sounds like you're saying you should report and block someone in your arena who's not fun to fight, but not kick them. That's the most absurd argument you could use in this situation. I guess you ignored where I said that if you want to make the rules, make your own arena. Or you are indeed just trying to incite frustration here.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Public Arenas are really just like a playground. If you own it and open it up for others you still have the ability to enforce rules. Especially considering it's a paid subscription. If you purposefully join someone's arena with the sole intent of disrupting play you should not be surprised if you're booted. Or if you have trash internet same thing. And if your skill level way outpaces everyone else once again don't be surprised if you're ousted. It's one thing to be marginally better than the others but to be way ahead of their learning curve pretty much results in no one learning anything except how badly they can be beaten. Where's the fun in that?

I will say that the kick feature could be abused by an arena owner. But honestly there are so many Arenas available there's really no reason to not just remember who kicked you and never join them again. There's gonna be ample opportunities for you to join Arenas where your play style is welcome or encouraged...

As for me personally well I don't bother with BA. But I can see the frustration in getting kicked for what seems like no good reason. I can also completely understand it's necessity as an option to prevent things like arena bullying, poor attitude, etc. It's really not that big of a deal unless your username has become synonymous with Trash Player in which case c'est la vie, play quickplay.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Do you seriously think that admins are going to be patrolling every single player arena checking for bad behavior? And if you report them, on what criteria do they define the bad behavior? They just can't. Battle Arenas falls to the participating players' discretion.

At this point, you are acting childish and you are obviously too angry to type and think straight. Get over yourself and grow up, man.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you voted that it's necessary, you're not trying to learn. There are only three reasons to kick a person. They're rude, they're wasting time by doing anything but playing the match, or they're laggy. If you're the host and they beat you and you kick them out because of that, or because nobody else is able to beat them, then that's a very weak reason. You should be taking advantage of trying to get better by having them stay.

1FC0

Smash Lord
If you're the host and they beat you and you kick them out because of that, or because nobody else is able to beat them, then that's a very weak reason. You should be taking advantage of trying to get better by having them stay.
It seems that you're missing what for many people is the point of this game; many people play this game to have fun. If someone is not fun for them to play against then they should take advantage of the kick/leave feature to not have to do something that's a chore to them in a video game.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If you voted that it's necessary, you're not trying to learn. There are only three reasons to kick a person. They're rude, they're wasting time by doing anything but playing the match, or they're laggy. If you're the host and they beat you and you kick them out because of that, or because nobody else is able to beat them, then that's a very weak reason. You should be taking advantage of trying to get better by having them stay.
It's necessary for those exact reasons that you just said. You're contradicting yourself.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Gotta agree with ^

If you remove kicking as an option then you're stuck having to leave your own lobby and 1 trash player should not have priority over everyone else. Kicking is fine it's standard across multiple lobby based games.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Gotta agree with ^

If you remove kicking as an option then you're stuck having to leave your own lobby and 1 trash player should not have priority over everyone else. Kicking is fine it's standard across multiple lobby based games.
You should play with friends if you want your own personalized player base. Public lobbies should not allow kicking. If you can’t handle a player on a public arena, you should not be playing online against strangers.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Well, or the creator of the arena leaves, or you. The creator of the arena is the master. If he doesnt want to play with you, stop complaining and go find another arena. What you want? To stay in one arena and force the people that created it to quit? The person may be rude or a bad loser, but the arena is still of that person, created with the ruleset that the person desired. Why would you want to keep it or force the creator to leave? And if you really dont want some person to play with you and you keep creating new arenas and the person keeps entering in your game? Kick is necessary, or you will just make people need to abandon some arena and create it again with the same rulesets.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You should play with friends if you want your own personalized player base. Public lobbies should not allow kicking. If you can’t handle a player on a public arena, you should not be playing online against strangers.
This is non sequitur, really. Playing against friends is different from Arenas for many reasons. Not only does your variety in opponents quickly lessen leading to stale or stunted development, but you cannot realistically compare the number of friends to play (which is finite in terms of list iirc) vs the literal millions of people potentially playing Arenas.

Public does not mean entitled or free of necessary conformity. It really just means anyone who pays for online and owns the game can participate. If one's own opinion of "fun" is so drastically different then -everyone else playing- I think it's absolutely correct to assume that they should be separated from that group.

If your local Boys and Girls club hosted a Dodge Ball game and one person thought pegging everyone else in the face despite there being a rule against that was OK, would you really be surprised if they got taken out of the game? Obviously that's an extreme circumstance and yes I'm aware that Arenas don't facilitate rules as such like "no teabagging allowed" but some amount of common sense has to be allowed for.

Like I said earlier it's not a perfect system, where unfortunate things like getting kicked for being too good happens... But then again if one needs to 3 stock noobs in order to sleep at night maybe they need to be doing something better for themselves in the first place.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Well, or the creator of the arena leaves, or you. The creator of the arena is the master. If he doesnt want to play with you, stop complaining and go find another arena. What you want? To stay in one arena and force the people that created it to quit? The person may be rude or a bad loser, but the arena is still of that person, created with the ruleset that the person desired. Why would you want to keep it or force the creator to leave? And if you really dont want some person to play with you and you keep creating new arenas and the person keeps entering in your game? Kick is necessary, or you will just make people need to abandon some arena and create it again with the same rulesets.
“Is the master”. What the ***? Who talks like this. And if you don’t want someone to play with you, block him. Then he won’t enter your arena again. The arena is just a host for a public server provided by Nintendo, he is no master or creator. An eneourmous ego for thinking that. Okay, the person created that arena. Having a player he dosent like somehow change the rulesets of his arena? No. It’s still is the same arena with the personalized rules he made. You make no sense. Creator leave their own arena anyways with kicking. I’ve been in arenas where the owner is getting embarrassed so hard that he quits mid game canceling his own arena. It’s pathetic (and harlious since it’s usually happening because of me). So not much will change. Owner leaving an arena because of someone who triggeres him in gameplay should grow up.

Sucumbio Sucumbio again. Deal with it. If you’re so bad at the game that someone comes in and roast you hard. Either quit and block that person or take in stride and get better. Obviously the latter is far more honorable. The prior is almost just as shameless but what can you do. People should have the right to block other users. All the “common sense” requirement should be dealt with by Nintendo admin. Such as prevention of offensive names or lag connection difficulty which they do since I don’t see lag often and see offensive name tags rarely. You guys defense of this kicking option is not very convincing.
Mr.Dale Mr.Dale like the profile pic.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
It needs massive reform. I’ve literally got kicked from an arena just cuz i roflstomped the host.

I’ve gotten kicked also just because I happened to main the same character they used, they ended the match soon as they saw I chose ganon and proceeded to kick me for it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sucumbio Sucumbio again. Deal with it. If you’re so bad at the game that someone comes in and roast you hard. Either quit and block that person or take in stride and get better. Obviously the latter is far more honorable. The prior is almost just as shameless but what can you do. People should have the right to block other users. All the “common sense” requirement should be dealt with by Nintendo admin. Such as prevention of offensive names or lag connection difficulty which they do since I don’t see lag often and see offensive name tags rarely. You guys defense of this kicking option is not very convincing.
Well... That is one way to deal with. But my example is more along the lines of an Arena owner kicking a player on behalf of the group. In Arenas with only 2 players owner and participant, yeah kicking is only slightly more convenient than dropping out, blocking the offender and remaking the lobby...

But that adds more resource handling. Same as expecting Nintendo to police their Arenas. It makes loads more sense to just let Arena creators moderate their lobby.

I am again not saying the system is not without problems. Kicking abuse is real. If anything a user should be prompted to select a reason from a drop down as to why they're kicking a player with an added ability to simultaneously report that user for abuse, unsportsmanlike conduct, lagfi, etc. At the very least doing so would allow Nintendo to accrue data on why kicking is used so frequently.

In fact I'd be curious to know which Battle Arenas you're joining that you get kicked from so frequently in terms of max players. If they're pseudo 1v1s then honestly you aren't doing it right. People flocked to Arenas because quickplay was so toxic and prone to gsp leveling tactics instead of competition style play unless you're good enough to make elite smash and even then it's not guaranteed your opponents there won't be scrubs with cheese rules.

My takeaway here is that smash online is and always been the place to get frustrated and Nintendo's attention to these issues has led to a system that still rewards players for taking the easiest approach to self gratification rather than fostering a proper competitive community.

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Well... That is one way to deal with. But my example is more along the lines of an Arena owner kicking a player on behalf of the group. In Arenas with only 2 players owner and participant, yeah kicking is only slightly more convenient than dropping out, blocking the offender and remaking the lobby...

But that adds more resource handling. Same as expecting Nintendo to police their Arenas. It makes loads more sense to just let Arena creators moderate their lobby.

I am again not saying the system is not without problems. Kicking abuse is real. If anything a user should be prompted to select a reason from a drop down as to why they're kicking a player with an added ability to simultaneously report that user for abuse, unsportsmanlike conduct, lagfi, etc. At the very least doing so would allow Nintendo to accrue data on why kicking is used so frequently.

In fact I'd be curious to know which Battle Arenas you're joining that you get kicked from so frequently in terms of max players. If they're pseudo 1v1s then honestly you aren't doing it right. People flocked to Arenas because quickplay was so toxic and prone to gsp leveling tactics instead of competition style play unless you're good enough to make elite smash and even then it's not guaranteed your opponents there won't be scrubs with cheese rules.

My takeaway here is that smash online is and always been the place to get frustrated and Nintendo's attention to these issues has led to a system that still rewards players for taking the easiest approach to self gratification rather than fostering a proper competitive community.
I play team battle mostly. Sometimes I go to open 1v1 rooms and a little 4 player smash here or there.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
“Is the master”. What the ***? Who talks like this. And if you don’t want someone to play with you, block him. Then he won’t enter your arena again. The arena is just a host for a public server provided by Nintendo, he is no master or creator. An eneourmous ego for thinking that. Okay, the person created that arena. Having a player he dosent like somehow change the rulesets of his arena? No. It’s still is the same arena with the personalized rules he made. You make no sense. Creator leave their own arena anyways with kicking. I’ve been in arenas where the owner is getting embarrassed so hard that he quits mid game canceling his own arena. It’s pathetic (and harlious since it’s usually happening because of me). So not much will change. Owner leaving an arena because of someone who triggeres him in gameplay should grow up.

Life without the kick player option:

Maybe I'm running a 3 man public arena and someone in there is really good and destroying everyone, so I want my friend to join and take a crack at him too. But wait, someone new joined and has been sitting in the character select screen for several minutes and not playing or spectating. I could block him. But maybe that guy could be really good too, but just had to go to the bathroom. Now I'll never know. He'll never see my arenas again, unless I block him then immediately unblock him. Which is just kicking with extra steps. I could add the good player as a friend so I remember his name, so when I shut down the arena, I can find him again....But wait, Nintendo hasn't implemented a way to directly message or invite people to play with you from within the game. Well he's probably moved onto the next arena now. Darn. Would have been great if I had an option to maybe...politely yet firmly request for the AFK guy to leave, without banning him from interacting with me entirely? Sounds like it'd be a good feature to have available to you.

Or maybe I'm helping a friend learn the game, sitting in spectate mode and coaching them while they're playing random people to get experience playing someone who isn't me. Well, the person who they've been playing is playing at a way lower level than the person I'm helping, to the point where they're not adapting whatsoever and it's just a bloodbath each game in my friend's favor. That player is no longer useful for what we're trying to accomplish. Why would I block them though? There's no real benefit to blocking a low level player who's not intentionally trying to be toxic. I could just recreate the arena, but that's just a longer, more painful process than simply clicking a button.

Or maybe I want to play best of 5s, and mark "Best of 5" clearly in my arena room name. The person who joins may be pretty good or better than me, but keeps trying to stick around or rejoin after the 5 games are over, win or lose. I throw out a room emote of "Thanks!" or "Last One" but they're still being stubborn. Why am I being punished for wanting them to leave, and having to close my arena and reopen it to accomplish that? I can't set a game limit to 5 in the game itself. If they're good and not being toxic or laggy, I may want to play them again in the future. Maybe this would be the best case for a temporary block, but continually blocking for is just going to reduce my pool of good players to play against in the future. Oh well, I guess.

These are all anecdotal reasons, but they've all actually happened to me before, and the kick button has saved me time and effort. Maybe some people abuse it when they're salty or overconfident, but you're still in the vast minority thinking it shouldn't exist. Maybe make your own arena and name it "I DON'T KICK!" and see how it goes over instead of parroting the same "it shouldn't exist" line on a forum.

Just to be clear, I still don't think that you actually believe in half of what you post, and are just trying to get a rise out of people here by intentionally being controversial. You say you get disheartened after being kicked from lobbies, but then turn around later and say people need to suck it up and keep playing you, even if it isn't fun for them. What is that logic even?

But, in the extraordinarily slim chance that you are being 100% genuine in this belief - the game is for recreation, AKA created to have fun and enjoyable experiences. If it's not fun, why even bother? You really don't have to abide by anyone's idea of what's honorable, nor should you have to suffer through something that you don't enjoy. You paid for the system, the game, and the online, play how you want. Maybe you just have a more robust competitive drive than some others. Or just a greatly inflated sense of self-confidence in your skill. Not everyone wants to sit through hundreds games of watching their character get ping-ponged around the screen by a skilled player to become just as skilled as them, they just want to sign on and hit Pikachu using Mario.

Removing the kick player option would objectively make quality-of-life worse in the game. You'd have to take roundabout measures to get someone out of your lobby who has outstayed their welcome. As if people don't already complain about the online enough, that'd just give them another bullet to add to the ever-growing list as to why online sucks.

Uffe

Smash Hero
It seems that you're missing what for many people is the point of this game; many people play this game to have fun. If someone is not fun for them to play against then they should take advantage of the kick/leave feature to not have to do something that's a chore to them in a video game.
Fun is subjective. I've made a room where I've gotten beat by a better player, but I never kicked him. I didn't have fun losing, but it also didn't feel like a chore. I'm not going to get better if I'm not playing better players either.

It's necessary for those exact reasons that you just said. You're contradicting yourself.
Wrong. I said that it's only necessary for those reasons, I never said it was just "necessary".

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
>.>

Wut..

If it's only necessary for specific reasons it's still necessary (for those reasons} ... Or am I missing something?

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Life without the kick player option:

Maybe I'm running a 3 man public arena and someone in there is really good and destroying everyone, so I want my friend to join and take a crack at him too. But wait, someone new joined and has been sitting in the character select screen for several minutes and not playing or spectating. I could block him. But maybe that guy could be really good too, but just had to go to the bathroom. Now I'll never know. He'll never see my arenas again, unless I block him then immediately unblock him. Which is just kicking with extra steps. I could add the good player as a friend so I remember his name, so when I shut down the arena, I can find him again....But wait, Nintendo hasn't implemented a way to directly message or invite people to play with you from within the game. Well he's probably moved onto the next arena now. Darn. Would have been great if I had an option to maybe...politely yet firmly request for the AFK guy to leave, without banning him from interacting with me entirely? Sounds like it'd be a good feature to have available to you.

Or maybe I'm helping a friend learn the game, sitting in spectate mode and coaching them while they're playing random people to get experience playing someone who isn't me. Well, the person who they've been playing is playing at a way lower level than the person I'm helping, to the point where they're not adapting whatsoever and it's just a bloodbath each game in my friend's favor. That player is no longer useful for what we're trying to accomplish. Why would I block them though? There's no real benefit to blocking a low level player who's not intentionally trying to be toxic. I could just recreate the arena, but that's just a longer, more painful process than simply clicking a button.

Or maybe I want to play best of 5s, and mark "Best of 5" clearly in my arena room name. The person who joins may be pretty good or better than me, but keeps trying to stick around or rejoin after the 5 games are over, win or lose. I throw out a room emote of "Thanks!" or "Last One" but they're still being stubborn. Why am I being punished for wanting them to leave, and having to close my arena and reopen it to accomplish that? I can't set a game limit to 5 in the game itself. If they're good and not being toxic or laggy, I may want to play them again in the future. Maybe this would be the best case for a temporary block, but continually blocking for is just going to reduce my pool of good players to play against in the future. Oh well, I guess.

These are all anecdotal reasons, but they've all actually happened to me before, and the kick button has saved me time and effort. Maybe some people abuse it when they're salty or overconfident, but you're still in the vast minority thinking it shouldn't exist. Maybe make your own arena and name it "I DON'T KICK!" and see how it goes over instead of parroting the same "it shouldn't exist" line on a forum.

Just to be clear, I still don't think that you actually believe in half of what you post, and are just trying to get a rise out of people here by intentionally being controversial. You say you get disheartened after being kicked from lobbies, but then turn around later and say people need to suck it up and keep playing you, even if it isn't fun for them. What is that logic even?

But, in the extraordinarily slim chance that you are being 100% genuine in this belief - the game is for recreation, AKA created to have fun and enjoyable experiences. If it's not fun, why even bother? You really don't have to abide by anyone's idea of what's honorable, nor should you have to suffer through something that you don't enjoy. You paid for the system, the game, and the online, play how you want. Maybe you just have a more robust competitive drive than some others. Or just a greatly inflated sense of self-confidence in your skill. Not everyone wants to sit through hundreds games of watching their character get ping-ponged around the screen by a skilled player to become just as skilled as them, they just want to sign on and hit Pikachu using Mario.

Removing the kick player option would objectively make quality-of-life worse in the game. You'd have to take roundabout measures to get someone out of your lobby who has outstayed their welcome. As if people don't already complain about the online enough, that'd just give them another bullet to add to the ever-growing list as to why online sucks.
You and your “friend” should make a private arena and recruit others to play with you guys. Don’t privatize a public server space. And Nintendo should allow user profile contact. Nevertheless, the fault was you and your friend camping on a public server. Be smarter.

2.again, you and your friend should go to a private arena. Kick and train all the people you want. Or you and your friend should play offline.

3. Why would you play best of 5... oh. In a two man room. Here’s what Nintendo should do (again, administrative common sense). They should allow a precept option where it allows an oppents a certain number of wins before they are automatically forced to leave. So, whoever losses once/wins once has to leave. Or 3 times. Or 5 or 10. Then there is an option for unlimited games played so the guest can play as much as he wants. But in the meantime, if someone overstayes their welcome in 2 two man arena. Just type them as ask them to leave. Or leave and join another 2 man arena. Or if it’s just two man. Block the guy. Disable your arena and immediately start it up again. Takes like 30 seconds.

Anecdotal yet still not justified enough to warrant the need of kicking, especially at the mountain of examples how it’s used primarily for abuse.

You seem to liken me to a jester or that of an “troll”. Could you stop doing that. First you compare to a random user who you said got “permabanned” and now you say I don’t believe what I say? Enough with the accusations.
though I must inquire, who is this user and where did he comment? It’d be interesting to read his post and see why you think we are so similar. If he got permabanned, he must have not been a responsible fellow and I would not want to be on a path to suffer the same fate.

I get that it’s for fun. Therefore everyone should be free to play and not have to conform everytime to some host to serve his delicate ego. Again, kicking abuse is a problem and seems to be majority of why kicking happens. Therefore it must be prevented by being abolished. At the least, having major reforms. And I do have “no kick” like arenas and seen others too, or at least see host who rarley of ever kick. Our arenas usually fill up fast.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You and your “friend” should make a private arena and recruit others to play with you guys. Don’t privatize a public server space. And Nintendo should allow user profile contact. Nevertheless, the fault was you and your friend camping on a public server. Be smarter.

2.again, you and your friend should go to a private arena. Kick and train all the people you want. Or you and your friend should play offline.

3. Why would you play best of 5... oh. In a two man room. Here’s what Nintendo should do (again, administrative common sense). They should allow a precept option where it allows an oppents a certain number of wins before they are automatically forced to leave. So, whoever losses once/wins once has to leave. Or 3 times. Or 5 or 10. Then there is an option for unlimited games played so the guest can play as much as he wants. But in the meantime, if someone overstayes their welcome in 2 two man arena. Just type them as ask them to leave. Or leave and join another 2 man arena. Or if it’s just two man. Block the guy. Disable your arena and immediately start it up again. Takes like 30 seconds.

Anecdotal yet still not justified enough to warrant the need of kicking, especially at the mountain of examples how it’s used primarily for abuse.

You seem to liken me to a jester or that of an “troll”. Could you stop doing that. First you compare to a random user who you said got “permabanned” and now you say I don’t believe what I say? Enough with the accusations.
though I must inquire, who is this user and where did he comment? It’d be interesting to read his post and see why you think we are so similar. If he got permabanned, he must have not been a responsible fellow and I would not want to be on a path to suffer the same fate.

I get that it’s for fun. Therefore everyone should be free to play and not have to conform everytime to some host to serve his delicate ego. Again, kicking abuse is a problem and seems to be majority of why kicking happens. Therefore it must be prevented by being abolished. At the least, having major reforms. And I do have “no kick” like arenas and seen others too, or at least see host who rarley of ever kick. Our arenas usually fill up fast.
Lol, "be smarter". Ok. Maybe the guy holding up in my arena for 15 minutes on the character select screen should have thought that as well? How long should I have let him sit there? An hour? Two hours? Or use my resources to get to keep playing the good player, while removing the AFK guy? Not my fault they implemented kicking but no messaging system beyond canned responses. Every other game built around team-based online play has a system in place that allows you to team up with friends, either via the same console or via a party formed online, to play with other random people in random matchmaking. You're technically stealing at least one spot from another potential opponent when you do that. Me kicking a clearly AFK guy and telling a friend to snipe the last spot before someone else joins isn't immoral in any way. I know this probably isn't the case, but it almost sounds like you're trying to state that playing in public arenas should be reserved for playing alone.

Playing in a private-only arena only gives people matchup experience against a set number of players, usually myself and maybe a couple others. You need to learn how to adapt to many different playstyles to build up experience to improve. Allowing people of all different skill levels to join and having to adapt on the fly greatly speeds this process up. Me being there in a 3-man arena spectating is no different than him opening a 2-man arena by himself in terms of who and who doesn't gets to play. Playing offline regularly isn't exactly feasible in our situation, unfortunately. It's a lot less work, and a lot faster than trying to set up something via discord matchmaking or messaging people trying to get them to log on. Call it lazy if you like, but trying to coordinate big arenas for real training is like wrangling kittens a lot of the time. I'll just keep going the way I currently do it until they actually make improvements. Until then, everything else you've stated is just hypothetical, unfortunately.

The reason I still think you're trolling is because it seems like you're just trying to be controversial/contradictory on purpose, then refuting any rebuttal or attempt at discussion with an antagonistic attitude. That's Online Trolling 101. If you're not doing this intentionally, then you have to realize that some of the stuff you're saying is obviously coming off as incendiary. If you really care enough to know who I have been assuming you are the second coming of, feel free to PM me. I'm not petty enough to write up an exposé.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Going by the logic of "putting up" with others you don't like instead of kicking on the grounds of arenas being public, does that mean the joiner must also put up with the host changing the rules on them, like going from omegas to Battlefield, under penalty of being a loser for not accepting the new challenge?

Doctor Big O

Banned via Warnings
Lol, "be smarter". Ok. Maybe the guy holding up in my arena for 15 minutes on the character select screen should have thought that as well? How long should I have let him sit there? An hour? Two hours? Or use my resources to get to keep playing the good player, while removing the AFK guy? Not my fault they implemented kicking but no messaging system beyond canned responses. Every other game built around team-based online play has a system in place that allows you to team up with friends, either via the same console or via a party formed online, to play with other random people in random matchmaking. You're technically stealing at least one spot from another potential opponent when you do that. Me kicking a clearly AFK guy and telling a friend to snipe the last spot before someone else joins isn't immoral in any way. I know this probably isn't the case, but it almost sounds like you're trying to state that playing in public arenas should be reserved for playing alone.

Playing in a private-only arena only gives people matchup experience against a set number of players, usually myself and maybe a couple others. You need to learn how to adapt to many different playstyles to build up experience to improve. Allowing people of all different skill levels to join and having to adapt on the fly greatly speeds this process up. Me being there in a 3-man arena spectating is no different than him opening a 2-man arena by himself in terms of who and who doesn't gets to play. Playing offline regularly isn't exactly feasible in our situation, unfortunately. It's a lot less work, and a lot faster than trying to set up something via discord matchmaking or messaging people trying to get them to log on. Call it lazy if you like, but trying to coordinate big arenas for real training is like wrangling kittens a lot of the time. I'll just keep going the way I currently do it until they actually make improvements. Until then, everything else you've stated is just hypothetical, unfortunately.

The reason I still think you're trolling is because it seems like you're just trying to be controversial/contradictory on purpose, then refuting any rebuttal or attempt at discussion with an antagonistic attitude. That's Online Trolling 101. If you're not doing this intentionally, then you have to realize that some of the stuff you're saying is obviously coming off as incendiary. If you really care enough to know who I have been assuming you are the second coming of, feel free to PM me. I'm not petty enough to write up an exposé.
Yes, public arenas are meant to play “alone” with other fighters. Hence why they have designated friends arena.

Again, nothing your saying is convincing that kicking people out of public rooms is necessary especially at the expense of allowing rampant kicking abuse. You probably are a host and don’t know what it’s like that often.

I’m not trying to be controversial. Youre just acting intolerant. Kicking in battle arena should abolished and I stand by it. It is abused by cretins and mental losers. That’s my opinion. Deal with it. If you don’t like my opinion, then stop talking to me. I come to this site to share my thoughts and some user just starts insulting me by calling me a “troll” because my I vigorously defend my stance, wether popular or not. That’s a joke. Anyway, I’m done here. Goodbye.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Now that I think of it, if a player in a current match gets kicked out by the host does the match get canceled or does the player remain in the arena until the match ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom