• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you approach?

Roager

Smash Ace
Falcon's approaches universally suck. Your best bet is to mix up all your approaches, so they can't **** your approach without good reaction time. Falcon Kick, Air FK, Raptor Boost, other aerials, like bair, or (VERY rarely) dash attack. That's about all I could tell you. I'm sure somebody else on here could give you a better explanation.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
SH and air dodge works with captain falcon as long as you dont do it too close. Then start with a jab and grab combo.

Smash Apprentice
Bair, Uair, Nair because thy automatically cancel when landing.
Dashgrab also if possible.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
SH hop flubbed knee's also work very well, but only if you sh and immediatly knee to take away the ending lag
this can even get you a sweet knee on taller characters
but mixing up appraoches like already mentioned is the best way of approaching

Rapzz

Smash Rookie
SH flubbed knee
SH air dodge -> downtilt
SH Raptor Boost
SH backflip back air
falcon kick
run to ledge then come back with a back air
sh down air
sh - double jump then falcon kick/down air
sh backflip dash attack
dash attack

That's all I can remember that's applicable to approaching.

Mit

Smash Ace
Even with all of these approaches listed though, it doesn't mean they don't all still suck @_@

The best approach with Falcon is to not really approach. Let your opponent come to you, or approach them, but don't attack. Dodge and punish as much as possible, because if you try to attack, chances are all your opponent has to do is hit you with any attack, especially smash attacks. Falcon's priority is so low it's almost like throwing yourself at your opponent asking to be hit (if you're playing a good opponent). So you really have to mix it up and do stuff like the shorthopped airdodge, or jumping past your opponent and hitting them in the back, and just being as unpredictable as possible in order to get them to attack and then punish them.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Falcon's approaches sucking can be used against your opponent though.

Think about what your opponents destroy Falcon's approaches with.
Then think about what beats their reaction.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Feint>Dash Attack
Feint>Falcon Kick
Feint>Dash Grab
Bair
Uair(On tall characters)

Really, all you need to do is wait for them to attack.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you run, a large majority of people will shield (anti Dash Attack)
A dashgrab can get those.

If you run, some people will spotdodge (anti Dash Attack/dashgrab)
A run-behind > standing (not sliding) pivot grab can catch those.

Mit

Smash Ace
It's pretty bad when your opponent forces you to approach. I played an extremely annoying Wolf this past weekend who would only stand and wait for you to attack. Falcon was literally helpless. Any attack I tried was powershielded and punished with a quick smash , and sometimes he would even just smash me while I was trying to hit him.

I managed to get a random Falcon dive out, and played a few mindgames to hit him, but even after hitting him I'd wind up getting hit by some smash spam, and be right back where I started, usually with more damage than him.

I really shouldn't bring it up. All you have to do to **** a Falcon player is stand there and wait for them. This information needs to stay under the radar >_>

__V

Smash Journeyman
Falcon is just horrible against spammy attacks. He does excellently against most heavyweights.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's pretty bad when your opponent forces you to approach. I played an extremely annoying Wolf this past weekend who would only stand and wait for you to attack. Falcon was literally helpless. Any attack I tried was powershielded and punished with a quick smash , and sometimes he would even just smash me while I was trying to hit him.

I managed to get a random Falcon dive out, and played a few mindgames to hit him, but even after hitting him I'd wind up getting hit by some smash spam, and be right back where I started, usually with more damage than him.

I really shouldn't bring it up. All you have to do to **** a Falcon player is stand there and wait for them. This information needs to stay under the radar >_>
When you get up close, who says you HAVE to attack right away?

Try jumping at him, then double jumping to test his reaction. If he creates an opening, fastfall and aerial. Otherwise retreat and try again, or land behind him (WITHOUT attacking, unless you're doing N-air behind his shield)

I play Sonic. I 'approach' people pretty often without having to perform the first attack. XD

Also, was this Wolf online? Because those are just dumb. I pay attention and scorn all the lasers and followups that should have been shielded/pshielded or were predicted but weren't shielded due to input lag.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Lots of great input, thanks guys! But, let me make sure I get what you guys are saying, a good CF should try to approach as little as possible and let the opponents make the first move, unless they have a spammy projectile, in which case you need to do some SH air dodging or other maneuvers. Does that sound about right? =X Thanks again everyone!

Zeallyx

Lots of great input, thanks guys! But, let me make sure I get what you guys are saying, a good CF should try to approach as little as possible and let the opponents make the first move, unless they have a spammy projectile, in which case you need to do some SH air dodging or other maneuvers. Does that sound about right? =X Thanks again everyone!
yes:)
and also, spell 'captain falcon' right XD (in your sig):p

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Falcon's approaches sucking can be used against your opponent though.

Think about what your opponents destroy Falcon's approaches with.
Then think about what beats their reaction.
Falcon Punch :)

If you run, a large majority of people will shield (anti Dash Attack)
A dashgrab can get those.

If you run, some people will spotdodge (anti Dash Attack/dashgrab)
A run-behind > standing (not sliding) pivot grab can catch those.
Spot dodge doesn't work too well as anti Dash Attack because we can jab very quickly after the Dash Attack ends. NAir and UAir beat spotdodges because of low landing lag, so it's the shielding that is usually a bigger problem.

Falcon Dive approach will get people to shield less, making your other approaches work more (try from dash and from empty SH, and space it to utilize the range of the teleporting).

Mit

Smash Ace
Also, was this Wolf online? Because those are just dumb. I pay attention and scorn all the lasers and followups that should have been shielded/pshielded or were predicted but weren't shielded due to input lag.
No it was in person, although the HDTV it was on had a little lag (nothing close to online levels though.) He was also being forced to use a wii remote/nunchuk due to lack of controllers, so he wasn't doing aerials really (because of having to tap jump or use something awkward like C).

On the plus side, he wasn't chasing over the edge, but he was just turtling. And believe me, I was trying alot of stuff, but usually even when I wouldn't attack and would switch things up, he'd come at me with in fsmash if I landed too closely, and yeah, laser spam if I was too far away.

Apparently a well-timed dsmash from Wolf can hit Falcon out of his Falcon Dive recovery up to the ledge as well.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
A very useful move for falling characters that are DIing to your direction is Utilt, it gets them good and has some decent priority. Even try it, I was playing my friend and he used Marth; I told him I'd spam the Utilt until he could hit me (aside from counter). It took a long time for him to do so and by the time he did, Marth was on I think around one 167%. Utilt is that good; I just started incorporating the attack to my stratergy. It is a really nice follow up after you have landed from a Uair :) Utilt can also cancel attacks like Zelda's forward B move, probably ZSS's zap gun ( haven't really tried), one more thing is it can hit ledged opponents. (REALLY SORRY IF I WENT OVERBOARD ON THIS, just trying to contribute)

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Get in their face and don't attack works pretty well for me. That provokes them to attack, which means you can punish their mistakes.

Zeallyx

A very useful move for falling characters that are DIing to your direction is Utilt, it gets them good and has some decent priority. Even try it, I was playing my friend and he used Marth; I told him I'd spam the Utilt until he could hit me (aside from counter). It took a long time for him to do so and by the time he did, Marth was on I think around one 167%. Utilt is that good; I just started incorporating the attack to my stratergy. It is a really nice follow up after you have landed from a Uair :) Utilt can also cancel attacks like Zelda's forward B move, probably ZSS's zap gun ( haven't really tried), one more thing is it can hit ledged opponents. (REALLY SORRY IF I WENT OVERBOARD ON THIS, just trying to contribute)
yes I agree Utilt is a very good move
but it is kinda on the slow side..
it is also punishable in my experience if you do it more than 2 times (like when it misses the first time just try another one :D)
but it is still punishable, so I don't think it'll get someone up to 167% :p
and marth's fair pwns Utilt..right?..and marths other moves too..(Nair, Dtilt, Fsmash, Bair, Ftilt)..right?
*is confused* maybe the marth player was just unlucky :p or bad at punishing >.<
but anyway, it is a good follow up indeed:) and works on opponents who try biding time hanging from the ledge :D

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
yes I agree Utilt is a very good move
but it is kinda on the slow side..
it is also punishable in my experience if you do it more than 2 times (like when it misses the first time just try another one :D)
but it is still punishable, so I don't think it'll get someone up to 167% :p
and marth's fair pwns Utilt..right?..and marths other moves too..(Nair, Dtilt, Fsmash, Bair, Ftilt)..right?
*is confused* maybe the marth player was just unlucky :p or bad at punishing >.<
but anyway, it is a good follow up indeed:) and works on opponents who try biding time hanging from the ledge :D
Like I said, the Utilt does cancel moves... I forgot to mention I cancelled alot of Marth's moves. Aside from it's other primary uses, let us concentrate on it's secondary uses like attack cancelling. Now compare cancelling attacks with the Fsmash(very laggy) with Cancelling things with the Utilt, this means less lag and you can follow up again with the Utilt since your holding up after attack cancelling. Not that I am trying to suddenly encourage every Captain Falcon user to spam the move, which will then make it predictable. I was suggesting just one approach for Falcon (there are more and possibly better ones than this), Utilt is only one of many killers to make Captain Falcon man of the game.

Zeallyx

Like I said, the Utilt does cancel moves... I forgot to mention I cancelled alot of Marth's moves. Aside from it's other primary uses, let us concentrate on it's secondary uses like attack cancelling. Now compare cancelling attacks with the Fsmash(very laggy) with Cancelling things with the Utilt, this means less lag and you can follow up again with the Utilt since your holding up after attack cancelling. Not that I am trying to suddenly encourage every Captain Falcon user to spam the move, which will then make it predictable. I was suggesting just one approach for Falcon (there are more and possibly better ones than this), Utilt is only one of many killers to make Captain Falcon man of the game.
Utilt has less priority than most of marth's moves..right?
marth's Fair outprioritizes falcon's utilt..right?

but yes it's a good move, and is a must for a good falcon player, but it is just one of the better moves falcon has..so like you said, spamming it is bad :p
but Uair > Utilt imo

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Utilt has less priority than most of marth's moves..right?
marth's Fair outprioritizes falcon's utilt..right?

but yes it's a good move, and is a must for a good falcon player, but it is just one of the better moves falcon has..so like you said, spamming it is bad :p
but Uair > Utilt imo
I know, ah that's what I'm leaving out. My mate wanted to hit me with a meteor smash, he never used Fair, BUT! I'll comeback to this thread if Marth's Fair can be cancelled with any of Falcon's moves. So technically speaking, I'm going to test all his moves on one move and see which is the fastest canceller for the Fair.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Short hop into neutral a attack. Fast fall while you're doing it so that the 2nd kick hits the opponent. Or just dash into the opponent and then roll away real fast or something
This I do alot more now, except rolling back I keep going so - SH,Nair,FF, then do one little dash and rinse and repeat. This is somewhat possible, very good for big characters. Also, you have to be aware that this is not garunteed. I'll just call it a forcing card to force your opponent to change from offensive to evasive. You'll need to have a plan B when the Nairs work up.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
I have already been incorporating the UTilt into my Falcon game, but I'll see how the SH NAir FF works, sounds promising. Right now I'm working on a more effective way to get to projectile spammers other than rolling around a bunch or air dodging. Anyways, thanks for the input again, everyone.

Top Bottom