• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do ya'll approach?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I just picked up gdubz for fun but I really do wanna get him good so one day when Peach isn't gettin' it done ima just be like RC + Gdubz but yeah, approaching is weird.

I feel like the typical stuff I see isn't even safe like sh nair or bair or whatever.

The way I usually do things is abusing the edge of turtle or fastfalling a turnip spaced at the tip or as a cross-up from high up.

If I notice gay DI or shielding habits I try to airdodge past or walk up to them and shield grab or dtilt.

I can't really think of stuff but I notice that once we get in we're in that *** for half their stock.

Any tips?

Tbh I just wanna discuss good ways to approach and little bull**** tricks we come up with.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Bacon.

I use Chef as an approach quite often, though the spacing for it is pretty nitpicky plus the random arcing. I toss one usually, sometimes two. if someone gets hit, I start a juggle with nair, if they shield and I'm close enough I DThrow (or UThrow on some characters) and continue from there.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Buffer fullhop F-airs more. It's retardedly good, and much better than B-airing in most matchups. Most characters can't really punish it on block if you space it well, and it hits 90% of the cast while standing. Only the VERY smallest 3 or so characters avoid it while standing.

You MUST have a strong understanding of G&W's ground game as well to approach with him most effectively as well. His D-tilt, Jab, and grabs are tools that you absolutely have to be extremely familiar with. D-tilt ***** grounded footsies most of the time. Jab is quick and sets up into grab nicely. And sometimes you gotta be able to grab them when you have conditioned them into blocking.

Speaking of grabs, learning how to techchase is generally really important. I wrote a guide to that.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
The best approach is to not approach. lol. but if you have to, just space the turtle to where only the tip of the tirtle's mouth will hit the person if they run full speed at you and throw out an unspaced non disjointed hitbox out. lol seriously, i hate when other people don't approach i just mimick their spacing or jump straight up and down with nair,,, and then i get annoyed and go aggro and get *****.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
@Publix
Well I agree we don't get much adventage to go aggro mode with G&W, but the thing is, we can somehow bait by using our disjoined long range hitboxes, so it's not that bad. Of course the deffensive play is good, but being aggresive depending on how you manage to put pressure on your opponent can be rewarding as well. Unless they outcamp you with arrows and lazers.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the Mu really. I play patient and find openings and get in. But sometimes I lose my patience and get destroyed.

:phone:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't think G&W wins though one particular playstyle. You have to be able to seamlessly switch between offense and defense. It's about pressuring your opponent when the opportunity presents itself, and leaving yourself room to respond to what buttons they press. His playstyle is best summed up as pure space control, the priority of which transcends simply playing either and only offensive or defensive.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That mentality is extremely silly to be honest. Just because Brawl is predominantly defensive doesn't mean approaching outside of strict necessity is bad. For the most part it just has to be done differently, although in the end it always comes down to stage control.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
tbh, I usually get on the ledge, and if they come at me I use FAir AC, if they don't or are MK, FH FAir, SH NAir, or possibly an empty shorthop to bait some reaction, and then I'm in.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
When I go on autopilot (and autopiloting is of course bad for the most part), overall I get the best results from just using a lot of tricky movements, and going for F-airs, Jabs, and Grabs.

B-air is interchanged with F-air in a few specific matchups here and there, but honestly approaching with G&W isn't strictly bad the way I see it. Granted he only has a few specific tools cut out for it, but he is at least able to get good reward out of them. His approaches stand to become more respectable once G&W users get more efficient with D-throw combos.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
His best approach is to move your icon over metaknight, press a, and then press start

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I approach with B-Air, but I try to bait first. Like against Marth I do a short hop, and then they F-Air or something and then punish with a B-Air, its kinda hard to describe.

I also like to Chef.

Lately, I've been using a lot of full hop F-Airs and B-Airs and Up-B -> aerial.

Splice

Smash Hero
I normally approach through reads or risky guesses. They always pay off so well i can afford to screw up a few.

but one thing i guess that you could add to your repetoire is
Run in (Running PS if necessary) and then Jump away and use Nair as you rise
Or jump as you're getting torwards them, and move awayand use Nair as fall.

It's not something thats good for common use I guess but its something you could remember.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
When I go on autopilot (and autopiloting is of course bad for the most part), overall I get the best results from just using a lot of tricky movements, and going for F-airs, Jabs, and Grabs.

........ It's about pressuring your opponent when the opportunity presents itself, and leaving yourself room to respond to what buttons they press. .
A2, I've been thoroughly enjoying your posts, and the words you've using. I play on autopilot way too much. i've been thinking alot more now tho.

For the G&W match up i space SH bairs, so that they start full hopping bairs. Once they start full hopping bairs, i go hard in the paint under them with a Nair. ****e works.

Also what exactly do we mean by "approach"? Does that mean just moving forward a bit, or trying to land an attack on a shield or hurtbox? or is it a combo of both?

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
"Hi, I'm a fun loving guy who loves to be wacky. I work in precision construction, you'd be hard pressed to fond me with my trusty hammer somewhere! My perfect date; we stay in, and i cook a 'stunning' dinner for us, then play my trumpet to elevate the mood. Then who knows, maybe I take a swing or two and see if I cant' get lucky ;) On the weekends I'm into scuba and even skydiving (but I still get nervous and always pull my chute way to early! Better to be safe than sorry right!). I also like to volunteer scooping buckets of oil out of the ocean near spills, I was a flag waver at the special Olympics last year in my home town, and sometimes durring Christmas I ring the bell outside of grocery stores for charity. I'm an old fashioned kinda guy; the type that always pulls out the chair for a lady. I also have a pet turtle named bear and love to show him off to my friends (sometimes I think they get tired of seeing him, but what can I say, hes awesome!).

~Mr. Game and Watch, approaching through match.com

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
"Hi, I'm a fun loving guy who loves to be wacky. I work in precision construction, you'd be hard pressed to fond me with my trusty hammer somewhere! My perfect date; we stay in, and i cook a 'stunning' dinner for us, then play my trumpet to elevate the mood. Then who knows, maybe I take a swing or two and see if I cant' get lucky ;) On the weekends I'm into scuba and even skydiving (but I still get nervous and always pull my chute way to early! Better to be safe than sorry right!). I also like to volunteer scooping buckets of oil out of the ocean near spills, I was a flag waver at the special Olympics last year in my home town, and sometimes durring Christmas I ring the bell outside of grocery stores for charity. I'm an old fashioned kinda guy; the type that always pulls out the chair for a lady. I also have a pet turtle named bear and love to show him off to my friends (sometimes I think they get tired of seeing him, but what can I say, hes awesome!).

Lost it there. Sigging ASAP

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Also what exactly do we mean by "approach"? Does that mean just moving forward a bit, or trying to land an attack on a shield or hurtbox? or is it a combo of both?
Approaching is probably a silly term, given that Brawl is very poke based. Proper positioning is more likely a more useful term to throw around. Most approaches in this game leave you at a punishable frame disadvantage, so pure rushdown mostly doesn't exist, but has to be complimented by the correct spacing to maintain favorable positioning. You want to of course be able to advance and limit your opponent's ability to space themselves when there is the opportunity to do so however, since it is fundamentally a bad position to be near or on the edge.

Publix

Smash Apprentice

LOL was match.com a play on our Fsmash? funny ****e.

Approaching is probably a silly term, given that Brawl is very poke based. Proper positioning is more likely a more useful term to throw around. Most approaches in this game leave you at a punishable frame disadvantage, so pure rushdown mostly doesn't exist, but has to be complimented by the correct spacing to maintain favorable positioning. You want to of course be able to advance and limit your opponent's ability to space themselves when there is the opportunity to do so however, since it is fundamentally a bad position to be near or on the edge.
right on A2, i love everyone of your posts!

Top Bottom