• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I spell "Subspace Emissary"? F-A-I-L-U-R-E.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFm_L95fJ1k

Wouldn't you know it? The OTHER stage where there's only one screen to go through (besides the Ruined Hallway and Halberd Bridge, both of which are just boss battles) and it's as much of a failure as the first one. The sad thing is, you actually get to pick your characters. The game honestly expect you to abuse stickers.

At least I'm almost done with SSE Intense. Just 2 more stages besides the Great Maze.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
What exactly is wrong with the SSE? Between a good storyline, amusing enemys, and an actual attempt at difficult cpu, it seems like it's pretty good for a simple adventure mode...

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Yeah I hated playing melee's adventure mode so many times just unlock fuggin' GaW. SSE is good. It's a real story mode. It's there. As opposed to it not being there, like in previous smash games. And it has epic cutscenes. This is good. Stop hating and don't play it if you really have to make topics like this. This is just troll's garbage.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
^^ You could have just did BTT with the everyone then finish classic with one character to unlock G&W in that game.
As for SSE, the Kirby characters are simply too favored and Wolf, Jiggly, and Toon Link had no involvment.
For Example, in the scene where the group's ships are dodging Ganondorf's fleet's assault, instead of Kirby on the dragoon, they could have had Wolf Shooting and diving his ship through it Kamikaze style and have him Jump into subspace where the characters ended up.
SSE was good, until you got to the great maze. That part is the definition of redundant.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Subspace is obviously dumb on Intense, but Entrance to Subspace is one of the easier levels if you actually pick characters good at subspace (Kirby was the only good at subspace character on your team, and this was one of his worse levels). Like, did you ever wonder why this was the first stage where you have access to Mr. Game & Watch? He's easily the best generic subspace monster killer in the cast. Why aren't you using Meta Knight? Basically anyone who can attack quickly or, even better, a bunch of times is really good in subspace. You could have used the Pokemon Trainer or Pikachu. Fox is pretty good as is Lucas. Have you seen R.O.B.'s down smash? You could have used Pit, Sheik, or Marth. Even guys like Diddy Kong, Falco, Link, Zero Suit Samus, Peach, or Yoshi would have been better choices. Instead you used Captain Falcon whose only real virtue in subspace is running fast, the Ice Climbers who are just terrible when they are getting pinged around so much, and Olimar who just plain doesn't have the stopping power for this mode. You were also using too many smash attacks, but picking one of the worst possible teams for a level and complaining the level is bad seems absurd on a very basic level (I think the only way you could downgrade the team would be to replace Kirby with Mario).

Ness is pretty beastly in the next level, for the record, and the Great Maze is way too easy if you focus on the Pokemon Trainer (specifically Charizard).

SSE is a pretty terrible mode because it's incredibly boring with very uninspired level design, but difficulty is never something you should complain about in it even on Intense with no stickers. Fighting the subspace enemies is mindless and super easy, and with 4 lives (6 for tabuu) the bosses are all pretty easy to pattern memorize into submission. Literally the only thing that is hard in the entire game is the Giant Diddy fight which is indeed just dumb, but it's a pretty small part of the game as a whole.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
A small part of the game that takes up one whole side of the game disc. The great Maze isn't hard, it's just redundant and time wasting, especially if you were trying to unlock Sonic, Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff in a short amount of time.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'll admit I was left wanting more, but it was alright. the cutscenes were pretty cool.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The only thing I said was a small part of the game was the giant Diddy Kong fight. I think that's a pretty accurate claim.

I agree with basically any claims about Subspace being boring, for the record. I was just saying that any claims about it being hard except ones that are talking about only the giant Diddy Kong fight are very silly since it's a very easy and mindless mode even on Intense.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
My gripe with SSE is the way the physics are altered

Characters work very differently. I was looking forward to blitzing through the levels with Sonic when I got him, only to find his speed had been reduced and his Up + B noticeably shortened

Character's 1st jumps and 2nd jumps are also different as well. Peach for example - you should be able to do a SH Dair right into a Float normally but in the SSE, you can't do that because her 1st jump stunted and you therefore land on the ground. On the other hand, her 2nd jump is significantly bigger

I tend not to play on it anymore because characters work differently on the SSE than they do on all the other modes

And yes, the Giant Diddy Kong fight is stupid

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
My gripe with SSE is the way the physics are altered

Characters work very differently. I was looking forward to blitzing through the levels with Sonic when I got him, only to find his speed had been reduced and his Up + B noticeably shortened

Character's 1st jumps and 2nd jumps are also different as well. Peach for example - you should be able to do a SH Dair right into a Float normally but in the SSE, you can't do that because her 1st jump stunted and you therefore land on the ground. On the other hand, her 2nd jump is significantly bigger

I tend not to play on it anymore because characters work differently on the SSE than they do on all the other modes

And yes, the Giant Diddy Kong fight is stupid
Characcter's speed is slown and there is more gravity. Making it impossible for characters like Diddy Kong to recover. His b up falls very fast and not even charging your up b won't send you anywhere.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I still don't see what the big deal is about the SSE, except for how repeditive it can get. It's a very deep story (Wolf wouldn't be saving the heroes at the Great Invasion. He'd more likely be fighting Fox several times throughout the story, or doing what Bowser and Wario did, until he got bored), the fighting isn't hard so it's easy to unlock people, and the stages (while again, mild over time) are actually done quite well. Stage Editor should use some of these mechanics. -.- But all in all, the SSE, on a scale of 1-10, I think deserves around atleast a 7.

Samus Aran X

Smash Cadet
I Honestly hadn't noticed the character reductions (I haven't really played w/ peach or sonic >_>)

But all in all, it's a pretty amazing story for one w/o dialogue.. The annoying part was Giga Diddy Kong (you had to kill that beast with a military of items). And yes, it's kind of typical that the beginning started off w/ Kirby saving Princess Peach (or Zelda), but that's typical since the creators were HAL. Laboratory. I hated those stupid Cloud stages. They should have made the levels more character-oriented. The one w/ Pokemon Trainer was very insipid. Why would a pokemon trainer be at some deserted zoo if he's looking for a Charizard/Ivysaur. The character placements and what they do seems very shallow.

The main problem was each character's story and their background. For instance, there was basically no sign of Tabuu until the end. He also had no explanation and nor did Master Hand (Why and how he was tied up). Even though trophies are there to describe for example, Tabuu, they don't give enough information... Also, for each cutscene, I almost always asked
"How did they get here? Why are they here? This makes no sense"

For example, they could have added more custscenes to infer the fact that the character just returned from a scene which was in their respective game ie:
Pokemon Trainer just exiting a pokemon center and finds a swarm of Primids.

There were also several contradictions with characters.

For any character, how did they end up in this trophy world?
Why was the Master Sword in the stump? When exactly is this happening?
Why was Samus in her Zero Suit? HOW did she lose her Power Suit? How did it end up there?
Why was Lucas scared? If it happened either before or after the events of Mother 3, it still makes no sense. This is before Mother 3: If he was scared, it later shows in the SSE that he's grown to be strong and brave. But then Mother 3 occurs and he's scared all over again. If it happened AFTER the events of Mother 3, that doesn't explain why he was frightened in the beginning of his appearance.
For Ness and Lucas, they both have PK Moves they shouldn't have (PK Starstorm, PK Freeze, PK Fire)

I Know I may seem picky to point out those errors, but I just want to know how everything fits together. Also, many are complaining that the 3 hidden characters weren't involved. I Don't see why they weren't included. Wolf could have an easy part in the story. At the beginning of Fox's appearance, his ship crashed. Now why is that? hmm, probably because a certain Wolf blasted his Arwing-donkey to this planet. For Jigglypuff.. Well, Pikachu was found in a generator, Lucario was found majestically standing on a mountain top, P.T Was found in a deserted Zoo. Let's say Jigglypuff was found being knocked around during the Arwing-Halberd fight. As for Toon Link, he's the only one who has a valid reason to be excluded from the story. What would Link do if he saw Toon Link? Sure, he'd think "HEY! THAT GREEN FREAK WITH THE BOMBS CLONED ME INTO SOME DEMENTED 3 COLOUR VERSION OF MYSELF" and then they'd fight. But what would happen after? They'd probably make up some how, but they'd both be scared from each other, seeing as, well I don't know. One of them is the grandpa of the other! Also, where would T.L have come from? His main adventures are on the Great Sea.

Other than that, Wolf and Jiggly easily had a place, and so did Sonic instead of randomly coming out of no where and defeating the hardest part about Tabuu. _SIGH_ Sorry it's a lot to read.

Chepe

Smash Lord
To me, it became pretty obvious why Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff weren't involved in the story. I'm sure it was because they weren't 100% set for the roster when the majority of the SSE story was developed.

Jigglypuff was probably still battling Mewtwo for a spot with the developers and so they decided not to have either in the story because of that, and Wolf is definitely the very last character added into the roster given how many times he comes after Snake and Sonic in event matches and such. Toon Link is the only one I see as maybe being excluded just because of Link and not because his spot on the roster was being negotiated/disputed.

Sonic was added to the roster in the middle of 2007 when the story was pretty much finished. This means that his SSE appearance was just thrown in because they couldn't alter the story to fit him anymore (prior cutscenes, and maze clones). Thus, the only way Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff could have had any part in SSE would have been appearing alongside Sonic at the last minute, which I'm sure we all agree would have downplayed Sonic's climatic appearance. Those 3 just had complications that made it easier to exclude them.

Ridley5000

Smash Apprentice
suspace was amusing, easy, had a good storyline and sweet cutscenes with good graphics for nintendo (the scene with the suspace gunship anyone?) but the great maze just destroyed it. also the fact that jigglypuff, wolf, and toonlink didnt do anything. but the part that ruins the cutscene are the random entrances (ike, sonic, ness, etc.)

Top Bottom