• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you start playing with G&W?

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
I was mercilessly beating people on Brawl so I decided to play with characters that are generally thought of as weak by the general casual player (which I was). After playing Jigglypuff, I decided to play as G&W (He was really bad in Melee) and ***** with him. I've mained with him ever since.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Um, I had a decent G&W....in melee. I give each brawl character equal play-time, but i'm liking G&W currently (though between bowser, wario, and others)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Mained Yoshi in Melee, and seconded G&W. I started using G&W the most at the end of melee's lifetime, and I decided to have him as my second also in Brawl (if he was in ((of course he was)) . I picked him up in Subspace, and I really liked how he handled. A few Brawl Matches later, he turned out amazing.

So yeah. He's replaced Yoshi. In fact, I don't ever touch the dino anymore :[
Now it's DK, Weegee, and possibly wario? as my back ups.
G&W is the best.

napZzz

Smash Hero
a friend told me I did good with him in a random match and has regretted it ever since lol

St. Viers

Smash Champion
hey, I have a question to add to this:

how many of you also use wario/like him...I'm seeing if there is a correlation ^_^

Marth Xero

Smash Cadet
I Played a G&W user and mimcked his moves later, then came up with some of my own and developed my own G&W.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm starting to like Wario a decent amount. His air game is pretty nice, and he moves in cool ways. I don't use him terribly much, but I might start using him more.

56K uses Wario :D
and I might work a bit more at his game.
So far I like him.

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
I started playing him in melee, because I got bored of the high tier characters. He kind of stuck with me up to brawl. I'm really glad he was buffed. And to answer St. Viers question, I really like Wario, his arial game is a lot like Jigglypuffs game in melee.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Back in the day I was a n00b, I thought G&W was the best character in the game because of his amazing strength and range, and I wanted people to stop calling him "Mr Gay Man's Crotch"

Yeah funny thing, even being the n00b I was, I consistently beat my n00b friends' Marths. That's because I actually used aerial attacks, dodges, and grabs.

Even when I learned G&W was 5th worst, something about him still clicked with me. He's just so **** iconic and has a cool fighting style. This is when I started getting owned, because one of my friends stopped being a n00b before I did.

And now that Brawl is out, and now that is truly as good as Nintendo wanted him to be, there is absolutely no reason for me to stop using him. =D

Well, I actually main Mario because Mario is teh iconic awesomeness, but G&W is way up there too. ;)

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Funny enough, I secondary Wario and main G&W. There might just be a correlation.

Anyway, I started out as a DDD main but he's just way too campy and grabby to be enjoyable for me, but at that point I already had decided to have Wario as a secondary. I fooled around with characters and just found that G&W has a ridiculously overpowered moveset. All of his moves either had range, disjointed hitboxes, power, or speed, and most of them were a combination of all 4, so I main him now.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
Liked him slightly in melee but his shield ruined it.
I read about his bucket and his turtle, decided to try it out 2 weeks later, and totally *****.
'twas fun. :)

We played FFA with 3 players and GaW has a good ability to catch final smashes, so they honestly said I used the squid more than the key. :(

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I play the character I think is the most funny one to play with. right now it's Mr. Game & Watch. But as I haven't played all characters to their full potential yet, I could have another main tomorrow.

helxliankid

Smash Rookie
I actually started using him in Melee because he was said to be low tier. I got fairly good with him in Melee, but had others as my main. In Brawl, I started using Game and Watch again. He's a fun character to use, but I thought he'd be like in Melee and not the best character. I started using G&W as my fun character and not too seriously, but then I discovered he's really quite amazing.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
I picked up GaW back in melee because my friends would always own since they played for 6 1/2 more years than me, so I kinda just gave in and would just try to 9Hammer them because it really pissed them off and was so funny. And when we got brawl he had those awesome buffs so I just kept playing him, and now I really dont like to play any other character.

frenchclops

Smash Cadet
I got frustrated not being able to beat boss battles with heavyweights like bowser and ike so I tried Game & Watch and found it much easier. As for Wario, he's one of my best, though I haven't used him much competitively.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
When I unlocked G&W in melee I instantly liked him. I remembered how fun G&W Gallery for the Gameboy was. I liked the concept of a 2D character in a 3D game. I like cartoony characters- especially really simplistic looking ones. The chef move is really too funny! Oh and when I did beat my friend with him, it was so satisfying because he was a pretty laggy and light. So i mainly used him a secondary to Marth and Gannon. Then brawl came out and he is soooo awesome.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Well, when I was still toying around with who I wanted to main, I was ******* around with R.O.B. He seemed to be pretty good (this was before people knew much about metagame), and he was fun to play. I watched Overswarm's R.O.B. vids and thought they were amazing. I was convinced, I wanted to main R.O.B. I kept watching videos until I saw OS lose to cosmo and the like when playing G&W. I tried out g&w and immediately liked him. His maneuverability is absolutely amazing. Any time you are in a sticky situation, up +b is a pretty good choice.

Also, in my opinion G&W is one of the best characters. He isn't a say, hard, counter for a lot of other good characters, but he certainly makes a large amount of characters strengths disappear. (Example, G&W vs Zelda, ness/lucas, etc)

I've seen people argue about tiers, and I see G&W often times 6th or 7th down. I don't know every character's current metagame potential (I'm not that much of a smashboards beast), but I would be surprised if that many characters could surpass him. I see the possibility of metaknight and snake being ranked higher, but what other characters can beat him/have more good matchups? Pikachu maybe? Really good marths can be troublesome as well...

If someone wants to enlighten me as to why characters that I didn't mention are better than G&W, I'm happy to listen.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I mained GaW, IC, and Young Link in Melee with DK and Jiggz as secondaries.

GaW was the most fun character in Melee, easily. and He's so weird and cute. ^_^

Now I main IC, GaW and Jiggz with DK as a secondary.

I'm not gonna say, "I was **** in Melee with GaW" because well... I wasn't. I'm not very good but I liked playing GaW because he was fun. And he's still fun in Brawl.

Top Bottom