• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can We Save Brawl?

Will Brawl die out?

• Total voters

CGod

Smash Cadet
Brawl players can adapt and transitioned into smash 4 unlike melee players. Pjsalt

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
We need a SD remix for brawl to Nerf Mk and icies, buff the low tiers , mod out tripping. Brawl might might have 1% chance of being revived.
That's basically smash 4 with a smaller roster
Brawl=dead

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
literally just play Netplay and wiimmfi, host some online tournaments, get people in every region at least playing online, if there's an online scene there'll eventually be an offline scene too.

As for tournaments, literally just ban MK/ICs, most of the low/mid tiers in this game got hard shut down by MK and ICs, that doesn't mean they will no longer be low tier.

It just means they'll have to counterpick more, which is perfectly managable w/o MK/ICs shutting down the rest of the cast.

Edit: and as far as tripping goes, if you're playing on Netplay then it's already disabled by default with the "Global Netplay Settings" since tripping causes desyncs that's already embedded into the code.

Last edited:

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
You guys know that I have a Youtube channel dedicated to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, But it is still in it's early days, with bad audio and no commentating. It also is where casuals meet to compete, but we did have an exhibition a while back. IT is very much alive, complete with it's own Rule Set and Tier List; the group I was talking about is "Brawl Brothers".

Last edited:

GraniteBeetle64

Smash Rookie
On this page, when I say that Brawl won't die out, I mean it doesn't want to. (That doesn't mean I don't support it.) Isn't there a documentary for Brawl coming out? :rob::wario:

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
so speaking of reviving brawl!
remember how I said 2 posts ago that we need to host online events and increase activity online before we can have an offline scene that flourishes? Well here's my attempt!

Gonna be hosting weekly Brawlfests on Anther's ladder (Smashladder.com/netplay) in the Brawl chat.

Every Sunday.
Starting at 3PM CST
We'll be playing both Netplay AND Wiimmfi! if you wanna pop in just to chat w/ other Brawl fans, feel free to do so!

Last edited:

ZeusLink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
U wot m8?
3DS FC
1010-0010-0100
Brawl's been childhood to me. It'd be a shame to see it die out now. Melee still seems alive, though.

RavensofLondon

Smash Rookie
I grew up on Brawl, and I'm just now getting into the Competitive Smash and the Smash Community.

It really does sadden me to see that Brawl is on the verge of being signed up for a funeral arrangement, but I hope that I could help revive and keep it going on in the future.

I live in a sparsely populated area, so really the only option for me is online tournaments. I'm waiting on an SD card reader so i can connect my Wii to the Wiimmfi

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
I grew up on Brawl, and I'm just now getting into the Competitive Smash and the Smash Community.

It really does sadden me to see that Brawl is on the verge of being signed up for a funeral arrangement, but I hope that I could help revive and keep it going on in the future.

I live in a sparsely populated area, so really the only option for me is online tournaments. I'm waiting on an SD card reader so i can connect my Wii to the Wiimmfi
Might I introduce you this thread? https://smashboards.com/threads/play-online-now-and-all-day.387080/page-44#post-21706061

Last edited:

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium

https://smash.gg/tournament/ceo-dreamland here's another thing you can support Brawl, CEO Dreamland is hosting it, tune in to the stream when brawl is streamed and get as many people to watch/tweet about it as possible, try to inspire someone that enjoys the game, or maybe host smashfests/tournies for it yourself

you can also join the brawl discord and do wifi/netplay etc;

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
https://smash.gg/tournament/ceo-dreamland here's another thing you can support Brawl, CEO Dreamland is hosting it, tune in to the stream when brawl is streamed and get as many people to watch/tweet about it as possible, try to inspire someone that enjoys the game, or maybe host smashfests/tournies for it yourself

you can also join the brawl discord and do wifi/netplay etc;
Wifi anyone?

SuperSqank

Smash Rookie
As long as there are people who are still playing the game and running tournaments, this game will never truly die.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
The funny thing is if Smash wasn't a competitive game I'd say Brawl was the best in the series. Unfortunately since smash is meant to be a fighting game the mechanics just aren't viable.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Smash Con will have Brawl as well, I thought about entering since I started with competitive Brawl and want to reinforce my local scene **** post that I am number 1 on the Brawl PR, but I mained Icies and I'm not sure I'm enough of a degenerate teenager to stand still and wait to grab an approach/trip anymore lmao

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
each game will always live to an extent, 64 still has a handful that will always play, usually set to a side event at majors. during the smash 4 era, at tourneys where melee + 4 were the main games, some still had small brawl side brackets that even brought former brawl players in, which shows that even the smash 4 (and soon to be smash ultimate) players still show interest in playing brawl sometimes just on the side for fun, perhaps the same thing will happen to smash 4 depending on if its worth playing when the new game is out, so far it looks similar but with quite a few differences to make it different enough from 4, but i wont see the need to go back, but brawl plays differently so its likely to still be around for a bit longer on the side

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Now that SSBU is a thing (with literally zero missing characters), Brawl's last remaining appeal will be its physics engine.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Any from the PGR top 50?
I wouldn't know from there. I just know that the ones that stopped playing 4 because of rage won't be returning since rage is still in the game. There even some hesitant to play because of rage like they will play, but they might be disappointed again.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I wouldn't know from there. I just know that the ones that stopped playing 4 because of rage won't be returning since rage is still in the game. There even some hesitant to play because of rage like they will play, but they might be disappointed again.
So they abandon a game with Rage in favor of a game with... Tripping?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
So they abandon a game with Rage in favor of a game with... Tripping?
Tripping is not that bad. I played in 2010 and very few matches were decided by tripping. I know about the logic one vs the ics and logic should have done get up attack or instantly got up. I mean that's what I do. Besides ics can trip to and so can mk.

Also seems like you don't know that the netplay build has no tripping in the coding so it's pretty much forced on brawl players.

I mean the thing is rage is a mechanic that can't be compared to anything. Especially considering that people want smash to be considered an Esport.

In sports you don't reward a losing team or fighter if it's some type of physical contact sport. They just have to deal and make a comeback. Corner kicks in soccer aren't rage, hitting the ball out in tennis is not rage that's a mistake on the tennis player serving or hitting, low blows aren't rage either.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If you say so. Regardless, my point in bringing up the PGR top 50 is that no one of consequence is going to avoid SSBU. You say "lots of people" won't play it competitively. No one cares about these people. =/

Luigisama

Smash Champion
If you say so. Regardless, my point in bringing up the PGR top 50 is that no one of consequence is going to avoid SSBU. You say "lots of people" won't play it competitively. No one cares about these people. =/
I think their parents and family care about them .....
Pretty sure their social peers care about them to.

As for that context yes there are some that care and their response is to antagonize them for not playing the new game instead of being indifferent or respecting their decision.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I think their parents and family care about them .....
Pretty sure their social peers care about them to.
Oh for crying out loud. You know that's not the context I was referring to.

The topic is about "saving" Brawl. If you're not pushing for it to have a competitive presence, what constitutes saving the game? Making sure there are people out there who will still play it with you?

D

Deleted member

Now that SSBU is a thing (with literally zero missing characters), Brawl's last remaining appeal will be its physics engine.
So do you just enjoy coming into small communities and ****ting on their game for whatever reason? I don't care about Brawl at all but your comments here are pretty unnecessary.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
So do you just enjoy coming into small communities and ****ting on their game for whatever reason? I don't care about Brawl at all but your comments here are pretty unnecessary.
I bought the game. I dumped hundreds of hours into it. I wanted it to be great. It disappointed. I'm entitled an opinion on it. So, no, I don't wander into small communities randomly and mock the game for whatever reason; I engage with people with cold, calculated purpose. Frankly, I wanna know what makes these people tick. I wanna know why people continue playing this game. I wanna know if people genuinely think the sequels somehow made things worse. When they do, I wanna know why.

Here. I'll even address the question. How can we save Brawl? Simple. Host tournaments. Form communities of people interested in continuing to develop the meta. Do what every other Smash game is doing. Simply play the game. Get people excited about events/seasons.

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also seems like you don't know that the netplay build has no tripping in the coding so it's pretty much forced on brawl players.
You aren't going to have any large tournaments running a netplay build.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why a game even needs tournaments after a decade? Just let it go or you are going to be like Melee players.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
You aren't going to have any large tournaments running a netplay build.
I don't recall saying that. What I was saying in my post is that the move to playing tripless brawl is more plausible now since people will get use to playing on no trip brawl since it's the standard codeset in the current build. But yeah there are tournaments.

https://smashboards.com/threads/feb...eturn-to-subspace-results-52-entrants.452958/

https://smashboards.com/threads/goml-2018-brawl-singles-results.454846/

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-n-splash-4-overnight-brawl-bracket-22-entrants.455085/

https://smashboards.com/threads/summer-brawl-6-16-2018-atlanta-ga.455696/

https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...-pa-brawl-singles-20-entrants-6-22-18.455930/

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I think brawl should get one or so more tournament to go out with a bang.

Like other than the tripping brawl wasn’t bad. You could also get some good lol pictures with characters on their behind

Last edited:

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
I'm fine with Brawl having smaller locals and tournaments. What's important is that I and the community it does have still play it. I am totally fine with Brawl remaining small. It's my favorite Smash game regardless. Yeah, it'd be cool if it were to somehow come back. It'd be even cooler if I could play a role in that. Right now, I'm just focusing on the Smash game that means the very most to me. :)

Top Bottom