• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I never understood why people separate Pokemon Trainer. He's not like Sheik and ZSS- you can't just main Charizard. If he gets KO'd, the game FORCES you to switch. And you can't switch back to him immediately because of the stamina mechanic. As far as unique movesets go, then sure, all three Pokes have unique movesets, but you have to group the Trainer together as one character because you can't just play one. So Brawl has 37 characters but 39 movesets.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I never understood why people separate Pokemon Trainer. He's not like Sheik and ZSS- you can't just main Charizard. If he gets KO'd, the game FORCES you to switch. And you can't switch back to him immediately because of the stamina mechanic. As far as unique movesets go, then sure, all three Pokes have unique movesets, but you have to group the Trainer together as one character because you can't just play one. So Brawl has 37 characters but 39 movesets.
People separate him probably because of Project M.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
You can play a whole match as one Pokemon; you're just gimping yourself if you do so.

Sakurai himself considers Pokemon Trainer 3 separate characters, though of course PT wouldn't be for reveal purposes.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yoshi is probably going to be revealed on March, but I think when the Year of Luigi is over, Yoshi will be revealed.
Hopefully they have a Direct to end the Year of Luigi and that way they can showcase a newcomer...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's look at what vets are left by currently repped series.

Mario: None in main series but Yoshi and Wario are MIA
Zelda: Sheik and Ganondorf
Pokemon: Jigglypuff, Pkmn Trainer
Kirby: Meta Knight
Metroid: Zero Suit Samus
Star Fox: Falco, Wolf
Fire Emblem: Ike

And for series that haven't shown up yet

F-Zero: Captain Falcon
Earthbound/MOTHER: Ness, Lucas
Retro: Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Ice Climbers
Metal Gear: Solid Snake

If current theories are anything to go on, for a current series newcomer to be revealed, all the vets from that series must be revealed. I assume the same goes for any returning Melee vets.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Let's look at what vets are left by currently repped series.

Mario: None in main series but Yoshi and Wario are MIA
Zelda: Sheik and Ganondorf
Pokemon: Jigglypuff, Pkmn Trainer
Kirby: Meta Knight
Metroid: Zero Suit Samus
Star Fox: Falco, Wolf
Fire Emblem: Ike

And for series that haven't shown up yet

F-Zero: Captain Falcon
Earthbound/MOTHER: Ness, Lucas
Retro: Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Ice Climbers
Metal Gear: Solid Snake

If current theories are anything to go on, for a current series newcomer to be revealed, all the vets from that series must be revealed. I assume the same goes for any returning Melee vets.
So, going off of that, if we see a random reveal of the characters Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, or Ike, OR the back-to-back reveals of Sheik and Ganondorf, Jigglypuff and the Pokemon Trainer, or Falco and Wolf at some time near a Direct, logic would imply that we'd see a new character from their respective series in that following direct.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I posted this elsewhere, but it might do good to be here too.

Well, I might have some info.

Last night I went to Gamestop to pick up Bravely Default. We got on the topic of Nintendo, and eventually Smash Bros. I asked him about news about a potential release date. He told me, that while he doesn't exactly know when, he DOES go to a conference between Nintendo and Gamestop every year. At said conference, they typically see one brand new game; yet to be announced, and one that is a huge title. He also said, that usually Nintendo when releases one big Spring or Summer game (MK8), that they almost always follow up with a big November release...looks like Smash Bros might be dropping in November.

What that means for character speculation, I cannot say. But it might be an indication of how many more character we may see.

EDIT: Also, the banner is gone on the official site.

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I posted this elsewhere, but it might do good to be here too.

Well, I might have some info.

Last night I went to Gamestop to pick up Bravely Default. We got on the topic of Nintendo, and eventually Smash Bros. I asked him about news about a potential release date. He told me, that while he doesn't exactly know when, he DOES go to a conference between Nintendo and Gamestop every year. At said conference, they typically see one brand new game; yet to be announced, and one that is a huge title. He also said, that usually Nintendo when releases one big Spring or Summer game (MK8), that they almost always follow up with a big November release...looks like Smash Bros might be dropping in November.

What that means for character speculation, I cannot say. But it might be an indication of how many more character we may see.
Sounds interesting.
EDIT: Also, the banner is gone on the official site.
Yoshi incoming ;D

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It would have wen hilarious if we got a Pokémon Trainer reveal today due to it being Ash Wednesday.

Get it?
ASH!
Like the Trainer from the anime!

Anyone? No? Ok.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Anyone else getting the feeling that Sakurai is also beginning to bring up non-playable characters much more frequently? Within three updates we got Waluigi, Dedenne and Twinrova ... Makes me wonder if we'll see any other popular character get the axe before the likely Yoshi reveal in about a week.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Anyone else getting the feeling that Sakurai is also beginning to bring up non-playable characters much more frequently? Within three updates we got Waluigi, Dedenne and Twinrova ... Makes me wonder if we'll see any other popular character get the axe before the likely Yoshi reveal in about a week.
I get the feeling that they're gradually revealing more and more about the game as time goes on. The earliest pictures of the day showed off very little in terms of actually important stuff. Nowadays we're getting character de-confirmations, updates to game mechanics, and other weird things (size doesn't matter). So logically, that means that we'll be seeing more content like Assist Trophies and stage hazards, and by that extent, more and more character de-confirmations.

Things are going to get interesting.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still think Yoshi is the most likely to be shown next. But I'm still unsure who'd be shown in April, maybe someone random. Perhaps another major Nintendo Direct would show off another newcomer. May seems like a good time to show either Wario or Meta-Knight though. And of course, June would be E3 month, so that'll probably bring in a new trailer.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I still think Yoshi is the most likely to be shown next. But I'm still unsure who'd be shown in April, maybe someone random. Perhaps another major Nintendo Direct would show off another newcomer. May seems like a good time to show either Wario or Meta-Knight though. And of course, June would be E3 month, so that'll probably bring in a new trailer.
Nothing is likely with Sakurai.
Except for maybe Mewtwo.

Besides that, nothing can be deemed likely at all.

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm going to take a guess and say we will get Yoshi. I'd say it all comes down to how familiar Sakurai is with the US release schedule and if he has any specific desire to save Yoshi for the Japanese launch.

Later in the month I think we'll be seeing someone to build up for a future trailer. Based on my current prediction roster, that would be Zero Suitc Samus or Meta Knight.

I guess I'll go with Yoshi on the 14th and Zero Suit Samus somewhere in the last week of the month.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I say that we will get Yoshi next week and Wario in two weeks. If Sakurai wanted to celebrate the 6th anniversary of Brawl's release in America, then I bet that we could get some newcomer from Brawl get confirmed tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Depending on the number of hidden characters, (I'm betting there still are hidden characters. It's a fun staple of the franchise and I think Sakurai thinks the same way.) I think you're probably right.

Next month we could easily get Yoshi and Wario (Seriously, why don't we have them already?)
I really do hope he keeps 2 or more newcomers hidden till release so you gotta play the game to find out if Ridley or Mewtwo are in if they are!

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I really do hope he keeps 2 or more newcomers hidden till release so you gotta play the game to find out if Ridley or Mewtwo are in if they are!
If so, he wouldn't keep Ridley and Mewtwo hidden until the release. Well, perhaps Mewtwo. However Ridley would be a good argument for many Smash Bros fans to buy the game and the WiiU and therefore it would be intelligent to show Ridley before the release already, especially, as he would be able to create huge hype. The only one with a nearly equal potential for huge hype would be King K.Rool. They can keep Dixie, Takamaru or Chrom hidden until release and it wouldn't influence the hype that much after all. However not revealing Ridley or K.Rool before the release would be a missed opportunity to create even more hype before the release.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
April would be a great time to reveal a Fire Emblem newcomer. It's an anniversary month and there is likely to be a Nintendo Direct since they are bimonthly for the most part. Also, no major game releases are coming out in April either, so a Fire Emblem reveal is a worthy filler if Nintendo doesn't believe FE is worth showing off in a new E3 trailer.

Staarih

Smash Master
Imagine if we didn't get Yoshi next week! I wouldn't count that possibility out since we all know Sakurai haha... That would definitely stir up character reveal speculation, as we're bound to get at least SOME character(s) each month.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Based on previous data, we should be getting at least 2 characters this month. Basically, every 2 months we get 2 veterans. Every month in between, we should be expecting one vet and one newcomer.

So... assuming November is the release month:
March: 2 vets
April: 1 vet 1 newcomer
May: 2 vets
June: Questionable. At least 2 newcomers, maybe a few vets
July: 2 vets
August: 1 Vet, 1 newcomer
September: 2 vets
October: Possibly last vet and last newcomer before release

So from everything except E3, we'll be getting 12 veterans. That would bring our veteran total to 31 veterans before release, not even counting E3, which could give us Snake as well.

Honestly, cuts are looking a lot less likely, or at the very least they will be minimal. We're guaranteed I would say 2-3 newcomer at E3, and probably a few new vets. If we get 3 new vets at E3, then I'm almost certain there won't be any cuts.

This is also assuming we don't get anything besides the game actually coming out in November. If it gets delayed or comes out in December, then that's even MORE time for characters to be updated.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm personally hoping that there's unlockables, but that there's no secret characters. As in, every character is revealed before launch. Mostly because I'd rather enjoy the introduction videos of the newcomers at the same time as the rest of the world in Nintendo Directs instead of seeing reviewers and Japan (assuming no international release) leaking everything and taking that hype away from us.

Talk of that, I'm really hoping that in April they have a launch window at the least, and that it's an international release.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm personally hoping that there's unlockables, but that there's no secret characters. As in, every character is revealed before launch. Mostly because I'd rather enjoy the introduction videos of the newcomers at the same time as the rest of the world in Nintendo Directs instead of seeing reviewers and Japan (assuming no international release) leaking everything and taking that hype away from us.

Talk of that, I'm really hoping that in April they have a launch window at the least, and that it's an international release.
I thought I'd heard something about not having to unlock the videos anyway.

But I want an international release too.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
I don't buy that 2 characters per month now being a thing. It can still happen, but I still wouldn't say that it will be a standard. Luigi and Toon Link were revealed because they had games coming out.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't buy that 2 characters per month now being a thing. It can still happen, but I still wouldn't say that it will be a standard. Luigi and Toon Link were revealed because they had games coming out.
As were DeDeDe, Zelda and Diddy Kong and they were each one of two characters revealed in a month. I don't see how it detracts from the 2 character per month idea. It seems that we've been getting a combination of random characters and characters that correspond to game releases/anniversaries.

Groose

Smash Champion
Four of the last five months. That's a pattern forming if I've ever seen one.

It wouldn't make much sense to drop down from this level, either, unless if there is a delay. You want to be showing more stuff the closer you get to the game, not less.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
At the era of brawl, I know we had 5 newcomers revealed during the first e3. But what about the second one ? Did we have new characters ?

D

Deleted member

Since no one was confirmed today for Brawl's American Anniversary, I am going to say we will get Yoshi next week and Wario a week later.

At the era of brawl, I know we had 5 newcomers revealed during the first e3. But what about the second one ? Did we have new characters ?
We didn't get any newcomers. I believe that there was a 15 second clip that Donkey Kong was in and Reggie saying the game will be released on December 3.
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/info/info01.html

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm definitely hoping Yoshi next week, but you never know what Sakurai is up to, so we'll see! If we get Yoshi, I don't see us getting Wario. Even if they do represent different series, they're still technically both from the Mario-franchise. And I don't know, I'd rather Wario be left for the release of Mario Kart 8, or something else.

That said, I do think we get something alongside Yoshi this month. First I was thinking a Pokémon character because of Pokémon Battle Trozei, but its Japanese release date coincides with US Yoshi's New Island, so not sure about that. It's also an eShop title, but I guess there's a first for everything... and I guess the US release could be acknowledged instead. Then there's the new Metal Gear game coming up, and while many think promoting a competitors game is out of the question, I don't see why Snake couldn't be revealed. But he'd require a Direct/video like Sonic, so again, not sure... My third option would be just some random reveal who doesn't have anything coming up, preferably Ice Climbers, Ness or Captain Falcon.

So basically what I'm expecting this month is Yoshi and Pokémon/Snake/Random.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I wonder if Sakurai will reveal anyone other then Yoshi when we are expecting him, then reveal him later in the month. Sounds like something he'd do.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yeah, Yoshi this week is very likely. Along with Yoshi I feel like we will either see Wario or one of the Earthbound kids.

For April, I'm going to take a shot and say Palutena for our newcomer and Ice Climbers following as our veteran.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As far as the Mother characters are concerned , I would rather they announce Lucas instead of Ness, seeing as Ness's likelihood of being in this game isn't ambiguous.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, they showed off Toon Link and Lucario before the likes of Jigglypuff, Zelda, or Ganondorf. So I think Lucas before Ness is plausible. But to be honest I'd be fine with either, though I wanna see Lucas more.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
They already did it in Brawl, so they can easily do it again. Though, that said, I still think Ness is more likely to be revealed due to the re-release of his game which he can promote.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This month
Yoshi and one pokemon character. (I'd guess Mewtwo with some doubt)
Next month
Ice Climbers and one newcomer (Krystal or Chrom most likely)
May
Wario, Ganondorf, and one newcomer
June
Ness, Captain Falcon, Mr Game and Watch, Ridley, an extra Sonic character, Dixie Kong, and Shulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom