• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we make Ness top tier?

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Yea I was just messing. But I do think Ness deserves to be higher on everyones personal tier lists.
My brother plays him and well... thats where the hatred comes from.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Personally, I don't get people who would dislike it if Ness was overused. So just because everyone uses him, he's not cool anymore? So Ness is only cool because he's unpopular? Wow, way to pick a character.

darklink92

Smash Rookie
Personally, I don't get people who would dislike it if Ness was overused. So just because everyone uses him, he's not cool anymore? So Ness is only cool because he's unpopular? Wow, way to pick a character.

It's just that people would use him only because he's top tier, not because they like him as a character. Besides, it gets both boring and annoying if there are 2 or more of the same characters in one battle.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
What would be wrong with him being top-tier? He's not one of those cheap, overpowered, 'anybody can use him with ease' type of character. Besides, it wouldn't matter if everybody wanted to use him anyway; there's a character(s) for everybody, and Ness may not be that character for some people.

§witch

Smash Lord
Exactly, that's why he WON'T be top tier. What other people rank a character should in no way affect your decision to play that character, but if you happen to be cool like that, go ahead.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No, it just gets really boring when everyone uses the same character which is one of the reasons why I dropped Metaknight as one of my mains.

seshun

Smash Apprentice
@Ref-Mmkay sure. I guess I'm not one of those people who are extremely hindered by lag.
@Darklink-Cuz more people means a cooler character. You do wanna be with the cool people right?
@Mr. Hatred-lol Ima do dat. No even better, win with only PKT and PKT2 (technically 1 move)
Im sorry but you sounded like such a bandwagoner for Ness' sake. Ness is cool whether or not he is played by a lot of people or not. Plus i hate people that play characters just because they are good and not because they like the character or the playstyle. I played snake at the beginning because i like snake and metal gear solid, but because people are whiny pansies they complain that he is overpowered and doesnt count. GTFO and learn to beat a character.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Yeah, EB360 was joking there, try to keep up. But seriously, I can understand 3 schools of thought on picking characters.

1. I play to win: Snake, MK
2. I play because I like the character: Ness
3. I play because the character's playstyle fits me: Pretty much any character

But picking a character BECAUSE he isn't used by a lot of people, or even dropping them because they're too well liked, I can't understand that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
These were the other reasons I dropped Metaknight:

1. Too easy of a learning curve. After about two weeks of playing with him, I felt like I knew most of the things about him and could perform all his ATs. This is one of the things I love about Ness and the Ice Climbers, I'm constantly learning with them and still have trouble pulling off all their ATs.

2. Having people refuse to play me simply because I used Metaknight from time to time sucked.

3. I really wanted to main King Dedede because he was one of my most wanted characters for Brawl and one of my favorite video game characters overall.

4. Because of the above, I didn't want to main more than one high tier character.

5. Did I mention that Metaknight was way too easy to learn and use? :laugh:

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, poor Meta-Knight gets a bad rep. I personally don't care what other people whine about, they just have to find a way to beat him. I only use him against Pit, and occasionally Sonic. I use him for fun.

I use Ness when I play to win. I feel accomplished being a Ness mainer because everyone overlooks his power because they think he's too hard to use. But that's not why I chose him.

NKCell

Smash Cadet
Im sorry but you sounded like such a bandwagoner for Ness' sake. Ness is cool whether or not he is played by a lot of people or not. Plus i hate people that play characters just because they are good and not because they like the character or the playstyle. I played snake at the beginning because i like snake and metal gear solid, but because people are whiny pansies they complain that he is overpowered and doesnt count. GTFO and learn to beat a character.
Uhhh... in Smash 64, a lot of people had no idea who Ness was (me included). That didn't stop me from maining him. I don't understand the hate for people maining characters that are good. What, should we all become C.Falcon, Jiggs and Samus mains in Brawl because they are poor characters?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I am like MKCell. I didnt know WhoTF Ness was in 64, but I mained him because I liked him. I liked his MOVES and not the character. In Melee, it was his aerial game and PKT that made me love him so, and as long as he keeps those 2 traits, I'll always love him.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I knew about Ness when i was like.....5? My dad had a super NES and bought me Earthbound....this was like 3 years after the game came out so i didnt get the whole "Players Guide and Scratch and sniff cards Delxe Set". The game was extremly hard for me(Mainly cause it was an RPG and I was just learning how to read), but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I actually never played it much after smash64 and beat it only recently.

The reason i was none -existant during Melee Era was because I played Ness, who was REALLY bad in melee.... Ive stuck with Ness since 64 and Ill always use him xD

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
I picked up Ness because I sucked with Lucas. Man, what a great decision that was! Yeah, and the only way I ever beat Marth was by using Meta-Knight as one of my secondaries.

NKCell

Smash Cadet
Congrats on the placing. That's a surprising singles bracket, only one Snake and MK and one was a secondary.

Top Bottom