• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are we Going to Deal with the Casuals?

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
It was also confirmed that there will be skill-based matchmaking, so as long as you're not terrible you won't be stuck against others that "just spam buttons'.
Just expanding on this, if you don't know about Global Smash Power, it lets you fight people around your tier group based on points you get for winning matches, so you won't be around them long, if you really don't like it.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Just expanding on this, if you don't know about Global Smash Power, it lets you fight people around your tier group based on points you get for winning matches, so you won't be around them long, if you really don't like it.
Well if all you want to avoid is people being angry about losing, going by league of legends logic you should just not play altogether. Going by normal logic you should just play casually and have fun, and that way no one can say anything that will hurt your feelings.

But sticking to the topic title, the way to avoid being casual int his game is playing for glory, since it have global smash power and all that.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I believe Sakurai announced in the april's Smash Bros. Direct that there will be matchmaking based on skill :p

FuriousPuppy

Smash Rookie
as sad as it is for me I think i'm casual but thats only because of the time contraints I have from work and personal things. I wish I had all the time in the world to practice PM Super Wavedash and L-Cancling but I cant. Im looking forward to smash 4 even if its just to be broken down in PM again. I'll finally be able to play with others at my level and skill up the old fashion way

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I believe Sakurai announced in the april's Smash Bros. Direct that there will be matchmaking based on skill :p
Lets hope it actually works unlike the matchmaking in certain competitive games I know *coughDotacough*

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lets hope it actually works unlike the matchmaking in certain competitive games I know *coughDotacough*
Fortunately, unlike Dota, Smash will not have to skillmatch you with nine other people, at most four of which you are encouraged to cooperate with, and up to nine of which may not speak the same language as you in a game built around communication.

Smash will just have to match 1v1. And a 1v1 even match is much easier, and in most cases, balances out very well over a larger number of games (if you assume properly that in evenly matched games, a player's win rate should be 50:50).

If Smash implemented voice chat and team matchmaking and used no region locking, THAT is where I would go in with low expectations.

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
How to "deal" with casuals? There's not much of an issue, I think.
I mean, if it's just getting annoyed by new players spamming attacks and whatnot, I wouldn't take that seriously. You don't really "deal" with that.
When it comes to bringing them in to the community, then there are various ways. As I recall another post mentioning, don't go easy on 'em when you're battling them. You really do learn well when you see how much you suck.
It wouldn't hurt to lend a helping hand, too. Take a friend of mine, for example. I've mentioned to him my interest about competitive Smash a couple of times, yet he keeps thinking he can kick my butt with Link. So, what do I do?
Smash him into the ground and make fun of him! :awesome:

Well, minus the teasing. It really doesn't hurt to slowly teach those that are unfamiliar with techniques and whatnot afterwards. Guide them through terminology. Teach them tournament standards. Help them with their character -- anything! After I beat him a couple of times, I taught him a few general tricks, and in no time, I kept getting bombarded with projectiles when trying to recover from the ledge. I guess he just learns fast, but basically, give those who want to become a part of the community a boost -- especially if they usually play casually. I must say that I'm not very involved in the community at all, but I really intend on somehow helping those new Smash players get into the tourney-play scene, whether by video or whatever.
Try not to be a douche to them, either. We already have a bad image from some people that don't play the game seriously. There's no need to further the stereotype, ya'know?

FastWheels

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperFastWheels
Complain about how bad they are on gamefaqs.

That should stop them.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hopefully there will be some kind of ranking system to help with match making. I'm not exactly sure how online for 3DS works but if there is some way to "room host" you could title your room with your smashboards name to get better matches.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm more curious why they need to be 'dealt with' at all. There is no voice chat, they can't message you unless they are on your friends list, and you can pretty much ignore anything they may post on MiiVerse so you'll never hear the complaints that you're preemptively complaining about. This isn't Xbox Live or PSN or something, this is Nintendo, you can't just message strangers.

Also, Sakurai confirmed there is Match Making based on Skill and the Casuals you mentioned wouldn't likely be the type that would be able to beat Hard or Very Hard Modes, which are both part of the Match Making service, so just beat those right away to ensure that you're high above their Ranking.
Besides that, if they try to report you for 'cheating' or something and you weren't, remember that Sakurai said there would be penalties for baseless reporting.

To completely ignore them all together though, do what I'm going to do and only play with our friends unless you want a fun little casual match.

I'm honestly not even going to touch 'For Glory' due to that along with the fact that I actually enjoy and prefer the diversity of stages beyond just Final Destination's layout.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's not really rewarding beating up on casuals; at the very least, you could use it as an opportunity to practice what little "tech skill" the game might have to offer.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's not really rewarding beating up on casuals; at the very least, you could use it as an opportunity to practice what little "tech skill" the game might have to offer.
Honestly, I play with casuals all the time, since only my brother, step-brother, and close friends play at a competitive level for me. When I play with my cousins or my brother's more casual friends, I just use it as a chance to relax and have fun, particularly to use characters I love but I'm not very good with but can still win with against them, like Bowser, Pit, Mewtwo, and others. It helps me handicap myself and get to enjoy those loved but not oft-played characters.

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
Well, I look forward to playing with you all and other like minded people for serious play. That's where I make the separation as you can't expect to really gain anything besides mindless fun in random matches.

Unless you mean in general, I really don't know. I'm a lot older than I was when I first started playing Smash Bros. and I can't imagine myself interacting with these type of players you're describing.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If they're truly interfering with your With Anyone experience, what you do is crush them into a fine powder and blow them away. They'll learn that what they're doing just isn't working.

Another option is to try to see how you do when you hold back. The ability to control your power is a much bigger indicator of skill than simply having power.

Otherwise, though, it sounds like you're just preparing for war.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

ಠ_ಠ

Please stop spreading misinformation.

GSP is accrued singularly through single player modes only. It is not earned in For Glory, For Fun, nor any other multiplayer activity. It is an indication of your performance in 1p modes ONLY.

Also there has been ZERO confirmation as to what determines our "MMR", but it is certainly not your GSP.

Seriously it's like a month until the game comes out and this is like the third time this week I've had to correct this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
ಠ_ಠ

Please stop spreading misinformation.

GSP is accrued singularly through single player modes only. It is not earned in For Glory, For Fun, nor any other multiplayer activity. It is an indication of your performance in 1p modes ONLY.

Also there has been ZERO confirmation as to what determines our "MMR", but it is certainly not your GSP.

Seriously it's like a month until the game comes out and this is like the third time this week I've had to correct this.
I just hope the matchmaking algorithm will be at least remotely having some faint resemblance to accuracy. This means it shouldn't use Global Smash Power.

(Seriously, there's so many better ways GSP could have been calculated. I mean for **** sakes.)

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
It's not like there's an online chat system or something for Smash 4, so I don't see how this is anything to worry about; but if it comes down to it, I'm definitely going to destroy them, and put them in their place. :smirk: Scrubs, yo. (Sincerely hope online is not very laggy, or else this would make things much harder depending on the skill gap between us)

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Fact is that there is some sort of Match Making in the game and considering that some members of the Super Smash Bros. 4 team are also Members of the Tekken Team, I'm sure they know what they're doing when it comes to Online Match Making.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Midway through reading the OP, I genuinely thought this was a parody thread.

I'm actually very concerned about the apparent fact that it's not.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Midway through reading the OP, I genuinely thought this was a parody thread.

I'm actually very concerned about the apparent fact that it's not.
As am I..after all, its a non-issue..there's absolutely no way the OP would end up hearing or seeing what the "casuals" say since there is no Messaging or Voice Chat for Wii U / 3DS.

Not to mention its a gross generalization and stereotype of casuals..after all, even the Competitive Scene has Johns, right?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's a pretty strict dichotomy imho. Casuals are never going to beat competitive players because casuals' game theory and tactics are nowhere near good enough to give them a shot (much less execution or understanding of game mechanics).

Booster

Smash Lord
Kill them with fire.

As in play as Mario and spam fireballs to where they can't move, use the Final Smash and they're anything like my little brother was when he was 7, they'll go ape****

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It's a pretty strict dichotomy imho. Casuals are never going to beat competitive players because casuals' game theory and tactics are nowhere near good enough to give them a shot (much less execution or understanding of game mechanics).
I wouldn't say that. There are casuals I've met who are good at Wavedashing and L-Cancelling, but still hate the Competitive Scene but are possibly able to beat them.

Most are likely to lose, yes, but you can't say one would 'never' win, since speaking in such absolutes is something easily proven wrong.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I wouldn't say that. There are casuals I've met who are good at Wavedashing and L-Cancelling, but still hate the Competitive Scene but are possibly able to beat them.

Most are likely to lose, yes, but you can't say one would 'never' win, since speaking in such absolutes is something easily proven wrong.
This sort of debate boils down to one's definition of "casual". In my mind, anyone who's taken time to learn and apply advanced techniques can no longer be deemed a "casual".

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that the conversation that this thread promotes holds no merit and shouldn't even be a thing.

Servine

Smash Cadet
I don't see why they should be treated as a rung lower than competitive players. They play and enjoy the game, just like we do, and even if they can be a bit cocky, well, who's to say that no competitive players aren't?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
This sort of debate boils down to one's definition of "casual". In my mind, anyone who's taken time to learn and apply advanced techniques can no longer be deemed a "casual".

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that the conversation that this thread promotes holds no merit and shouldn't even be a thing.
Completely agree..its a Moot Point since those complaints would never reach the intended target without effort anyway.

Even then, the casuals I actually play with never accuse me of such a thing since they actually know I'm just better then they are..its only the whiny Johns that all fandoms and competitive games have that'll really complain.

ThePlayer77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Defenceknight
3DS FC
0559-6785-8830
Ugh, why do threads like these have to exist? Really, just look at the title: How are we going to deal with the casuals? Really? Don't act so high and mighty just because some people may not play competitively.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
how does one play 'casually' in a match anyway? I know this is kind of a side point, but even casuals have to try and win in battle right? So like, if I'm playing against a competitive person casually am I like running around in circles while not touching him as he beats on me just to annoy him or something?

No wait that's a troll.

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
I guess you just play them normally. Most of the time, casuals just play for fun, and that's how the game is supposed to be. But yeah, talking all high and mighty will get annoying from casuals, especially the type that just spams the same move in almost every situation, even in ones that could call for other moves.

Very rarely, there will be a casual player that knows the existence of advanced techniques and uses them just because they know they're there and if they can easily do it... I know because I'm one of those people... though I'm not sure if I can call them casual just because they just know the existence of such advanced techniques and just use them because they know they can do it..

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
how does one play 'casually' in a match anyway? I know this is kind of a side point, but even casuals have to try and win in battle right?
You'd be surprised how some people play..I once had a girlfriend that only wanted to play Super Smash Bros. Melee where we just 'messed around' and would get mad if I ever tried to fight..she literally only wanted to jump around and walk on the stage..it was beyond boring..

Soul.

how does one play 'casually' in a match anyway? I know this is kind of a side point, but even casuals have to try and win in battle right? So like, if I'm playing against a competitive person casually am I like running around in circles while not touching him as he beats on me just to annoy him or something?

No wait that's a troll.
I think casual players use the same moves all over again, but if you can beat a competitive player as a casual one, then that just proves that casual players can beat competitive players. And maybe, it could be trolling or not. If you're doing it for fun, that's fine.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Sure, casuals "can" beat competitive players. It just happens so infrequently that it's not really worth counting. Lol.

The very definition of competitive is to optimize one's strategies to be able to consistently overpower those whose strategies aren't "competitive".

Last edited:

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
Wow, what an elitist thread. I really don't understand how an active player-base full of new people is a bad thing. Why not just be happy to be part of the upper echelon?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The entire point of making this thread was to invite players who are somewhat longstanding members of the competitive community to share their thoughts on casual players and how we deal with them. I was just being frank. Sorry if I derailed the thread or whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom