• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are we Going to Deal with the Casuals?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm a casual Smasher and have never played competitively, but am by no means awful at the game, wanting to troll or trash talk or ruin anyone's experience. I'll be practising offline and playing For Glory with the intention being to do my best and have fun by winning as much as possible. :)

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
It's a rated T game, then again. There are those annoying children who play rated M games. But I'll just enjoy scooping up the tears of those I beat in For Glory.

LucinaSuitSamus

Smash Cadet
I'm a casual player, but I think I'm old enough (and experienced enough) to say that I'm only decent at the game.

I've never played competitively, but I have played online a couple of times, and I haven't experienced much problems. But what you're explaining about new players does kind of sound awful. Especially if they beat you by luck...

Fumpster

Smash Rookie
This is a problem with all online games, and it's not really something that can be helped. I think Global Smash Power might help separate the great players from the others though, since it seems sort of like Mario Kart VR. The people who are really good at the game will get GSP much quicker than the others, allowing there to be at least some semblance of competition.

In regards to them sending messages? Getting a good laugh out of it is the only advice I can give.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I'll just fight them and try to the best of my ability with all the skill I have.

Besides it's more training for all of us, especially if your starting out competitively.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
They're casuals! Casuals!
Barely even gamers!
Casuals! Casuals!
Drive them from our game!
They don't play like you and me, which means they must be terrible!
We must sound the shouts of HAX!
They're casuals! Casuals!
Dirty shrieking nooobs!
Now we sound the shouts of HAX!

...or you could just play with anyone and not be an elitist about it.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
"Deal with casuals".

This is like acting as though casuals are street rats or some kind of unwanted people.

They're just people playing the game to enjoy themselves. Just like you. There's no "dealing" with them. If it's anything like MK8, there won't be any voice chat with randoms anyway.

Having said that, if they're purposely being obnoxious, you can report them. And you can always, I dunno, just play with friends or people from SmashBoards and stuff. And unless I am mistaken, there IS a ranking thing, right? So you could eventually move up and just fight people of your skill level.

I'd be surprised if the game doesn't allow for blocking. Feasibly, you could block 'casuals' you find to be obnoxious.

Otherwise you're just being a jerk. God forbid a 7 year old wants to enjoy a video game. What you need to worry about is if you trash them and they try getting you banned, not if you're stuck fighting some kid or a person playing for recreation or fun.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I don't play competitively, so you COULD say I'm a casual, but the thing is I'm more of a Completionist. When I get the game, my goal is to unlock all the characters, use everyone in Smash Run, Classic mode, etc, and to unlock as many trophies as I can.

So yeah, I'm not into all that competitive stuff.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
You know, the problem here is that he thinks Casuals and Toxic Players are the same thing.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
As has been said before, as a casual player, I don't believe OP has set the right tone here. I think he/she is getting casuals confused with trolls.

(Besides who's to say a casual with many hours of Smash under their belt can't kick some competitive a$$es once in a while? ;) )

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We're not going to 'deal' with casuals at all. We're just going to tolerate bad behavior, whether it be from casuals or competitives.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This is a problem with all online games, and it's not really something that can be helped. I think Global Smash Power might help separate the great players from the others though, since it seems sort of like Mario Kart VR. The people who are really good at the game will get GSP much quicker than the others, allowing there to be at least some semblance of competition.

In regards to them sending messages? Getting a good laugh out of it is the only advice I can give.
GSP solely ranks offline solo scores. There will be "some sort" of method that separates good players from bad, but it won't be rankings.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
We should just round them all up and shoot them.
:eek:

:crying:

:cry:

I'll be good.

More seriously: if people trash talk you, get over it. You're not a real competitor unless you can handle trash talk, especially if that trash talk comes from someone you've just 4-stocked.

If someone wants to downtalk you or belittle your accomplishments, then that's just their own insecurities and ego talking, and you shouldn't even take it seriously, much less take it as a serious insult. You just beat them. There is no room for them to talk.

If you must say something, just do what smashers have been doing for years and tell them "No johns!"

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
as somebody who played a lot of With Anyone matches because i was too lazy to find new friends to brawl with after my original friends mostly disappeared,

when your opponents are giving johns and disconnecting, that's how you know you're doing your job right.
i usually don't give players a tough time unless they start acting "rude" (which could be many things but usually tends to involve attacking my teammate for easy KOs when he leaves his controller), but once they've done something like that, it becomes time to make them no longer enjoy their time. the madder they get from gimps, taunts, and general controlling of the match also means they play worse and worse, then eventually i drop out and look for somebody worth my time.

that being said, isn't there an obscure point-based invisible ranking in smash 4 that should keep you out of spammer camp once you've proven yourself a little?

Acrete

Smash Cadet
I really don't see a problem. I have always enjoyed dominating casuals in matches. Sure i love a challenging match more than anything but there's definitely fun to be had smashing a less skilled opponent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm what you may call a "skilled" casual player. One of those dofuses who rocks everyone they know locally but get their buttocks handed to them when actually engaging themselves in tournaments.

I value skilled play as much as the next person, but come on man. We want this community to grow, and that means we have to integrate newcomers into it in the first place.

Judging someone to be insufficiently adaptable to a game based on skill alone is a death-sin we see all too often in online gaming communities.

Just stop being an elitist and instead beat them down like any regular Smash Bros player would. They'll become better that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
1. On the smash site it says you can get temp banned for 'Inappropriate messaging', so you can message using online features.
2. If they say something like that just ignore them, let's just hope casuals like me will stick to 'For Fun' mode and sometimes do 'For Glory' when we're feeling risky and if we're best, we'll take our defeat. :bee:

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Despite identifying as casual I find myself being drawn to For Glory mode.

Why? Who knows? Probably the same reason I frequent these boards.

D

Deleted member

So yeah, I don't see what's wrong with casuals playing the games. They're people after all. I think I'll probably play both online modes. Of course, I'd play For Glory the most, but when bored, I'd pick For Fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreadToaster

Smash Rookie
I imagine you'll deal with them the same way you deal with any person online. Turn off voice chat (does either system even have voice chat?) and ignore messages. If they drop, that punishes them, not you. This doesn't just apply to casuals though.

Last edited:

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
XD! I'm a casual and I found this thread pretty hillarious! (PS: I respect competitive smasher's...it's just...yeah...)

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I don't know why we're all still here when this thread got majorly godwin'd on page one.
The casual vs. competitive debate is almost as bad as Godwin to begin with. It's right up there with the Brawl vs. Melee debates and Hitler.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It was confirmed that online mode would match you according to skill level and that there would be no chat. I fail to see how this is a problem.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
It was confirmed that online mode would match you according to skill level and that there would be no chat. I fail to see how this is a problem.
There's that, and there's a for Fun and For Glory mode. People who want to be overly competitive can have their Final destination no items stuff. For me smash is all about the different stages and items and characters, not about limiting yourself to one of each or none at all.

Though the final destination versions of all stages is a nice touch.

Top Bottom