• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are we Going to Deal with the Casuals?

OrangeJuiceGuy

Smash Rookie
This is very frustrating. Wi-fi on the 3ds version (and later), is going to be plagued with 7 year old children, thinking they're the best players in the world, spamming buttons. I don't mind casual players, as long as they don't go around claiming to be the best, and when they lose, start spurting johns such as "u cheted" "tht wan't me plying, it ws my brthr. u suk" I didn't really play much Brawl, but from what I've played I can see the problems the community has with it.

Off topic, I really think this is the chance to get something fresh, and finally let the community move forward. This game has a lot of potential, but it's not going to be the same as melee. I think this game will be better for faster paced characters, with good combo ability. The sad thing is the lack of AT's. LITERALLY NO MORE DASH DANCING?! I think there are some AT's to be found out in this game though.

Anyway back on topic I really wish there was a way to sort out these casual players thinking they're the best from the competitive players...

What do you guys think?

OrangeJuiceGuy

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Well, I"m not really going to after the Wii U version comes out, but I'm buying one just for getting used to the engine.

I guess I should specify, this isn't just the 3ds version, it will be there in the Wii U too.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

For Glory probably. If they aren't good enough to win with items, then there's no way they will beat an experienced smasher with no items. And they have no real excuse except that they are bad if they lose no items

Last edited by a moderator:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The way you deal with casuals is by crushing them into dust then rebuilding them into competitive players. If they don't want to be competitive but still want to play say 'it's okay' and start handicapping yourself by using characters you are progressively worst with until your either with your worst character or can't go any lower because you might lose. Doing this allows you to learn more characters while not being super bored for the next steps. Once you start playing conditioning them to learn from your mistakes, make lots of obvious errors or always tech/respond in the same punishable way. Once you feel they learn enough throw a match or die more then you normally would then start punishing their mistakes more often and harsher which if done correctly might give them the competitive thirst to improve.

Once they have the thirst it's all downhill, that or you could just not play with them since there's normally a lot of other better players offline and online to play with.

Edit: I wont have time to respond so I'll just add this. The best way to learn how good you are at smash is to learn how much you suck.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

lol really though we make everything sound so serious sometimes

if you don't want to play with "casuals", play with your UBER HARDCORE friends or something

Last edited:

OrangeJuiceGuy

Smash Rookie
The sad thing is that I have no one to play with. I live in a small town, and none of my friends play. Wi-fi, and netplay are my only options. I guess destroying them is my favorite thing to do... It makes my time invested feel worth it though.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We should just round them all up and shoot them.

Seriously though, you do have some facts incorrect. Dash dancing isn't gone, it was demonstrated to work differently on a character by character basis. It worked extremely well with Samus, if I remember.

The other twisted statement you make here is that you want to move the community forward, but in almost the same sentence you condemn all casual gamers. It's this type of attitude that destroys a community. If you are a competitive gamer, you used to be a casual gamer. That's how you start. You don't pick up a game and start out as a pro. If you want to expand a community, where do you go for more members? Casual players. And you sure as hell don't convince them to join the 'competitive scene' by coming off as elitist, and a hater. I'm not sure if you meant to do that, but that's the impression your first post gave off, and it wasn't pleasant.

Welcome to the boards, and please try to keep an open mind. The thing about casual and competitive gamers is, they're all people, and they like to be treated as such. So deal with them like a person.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The sad thing is that I have no one to play with. I live in a small town, and none of my friends play. Wi-fi, and netplay are my only options. I guess destroying them is my favorite thing to do... It makes my time invested feel worth it though.
But you are on this website. You can hook up with people here.

When people bring up the "none of my friends play" point on a SMASH BROS forum, I am always so confused. That very point is actually part of why I joined these boards in the first place - to find like minded people I can play with when the games come out.

And I can tell you right now that actively condemning certain people, and talking about how they need to be "dealt with" echoes of how Hitler talked about Jews in World War II. I know it's an extreme comparison, and I know you may not have meant to come across as seriously condemning. It's just how it sounds, with your wording. And if you made that your "shtick" around here, it wouldn't net you many people to play with.

"Casual" and "competitive/hardcore" is just some arbitrary distinction gamers on the internet have come up with to make themselves feel better about themselves. It doesn't actually mean much, and most people have different interpretations of the words.

At the end of the day, we all just want to have fun in a Smash Bros game, whether that be through mindless item lobbing or calculated and skillful play without items and with very specific rules.

There is a thread for posting your 3DS friend code and such, and other people have their friend codes there too. Just visit there, and you may find some people to play with.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-3ds-friend-code-sharing-thread.340319/

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
But you are on this website. You can hook up with people here.

When people bring up the "none of my friends play" point on a SMASH BROS forum, I am always so confused. That very point is actually part of why I joined these boards in the first place - to find like minded people I can play with when the games come out.

And I can tell you right now that actively condemning certain people, and talking about how they need to be "dealt with" echoes of how Hitler talked about Jews in World War II. I know it's an extreme comparison, and I know you may not have meant to come across as seriously condemning. It's just how it sounds, with your wording.

"Casual" and "competitive/hardcore" is just some arbitrary distinction gamers on the internet have come up with to make themselves feel better about themselves. It doesn't actually mean much, and most people have different interpretations of the words.

At the end of the day, we all just want to have fun in a Smash Bros game, whether that be through mindless item lobbing or calculated and skillful play without items and with very specific rules.

There is a thread for posting your 3DS friend code and such, and other people have their friend codes there too. Just visit there, and you may find some people to play with.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-3ds-friend-code-sharing-thread.340319/
This, I'm actually buffing up my friends list specifically for this game so I can play with others on this board, since most everyone is cool and likes smash and playing the game and aren't quite so crazy about winning or losing.

Also I probably qualify as a casual since this is my first smash since 64 that I'll be playing a lot.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
There likely won't be any sort of chat, at least when playing "with anyone", so you don't have to worry about annoying kids. It was also confirmed that there will be skill-based matchmaking, so as long as you're not terrible you won't be stuck against others that "just spam buttons'.

DarkRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoungChief
3DS FC
4098-2758-3357
You sound like a lot of fun at parties. Why do you feel you have to "deal" with anyone? Stop taking yourself so damn seriously, if you want competition, you'll find plenty of it here

Raijinken

Smash Master
We aren't going to deal with the casuals, as they aren't an innate problem.

That said, for finding other players to wifi with, I suggest taking a glance at the Friend Code Sharing Thread if you're going to use the 3DS version, and/or wait until a similar thread is assembled for the Wii U version. People here seem to range pretty widely in skill, so hopefully you'll find some of them that suit your level of play.

Renji64

Smash Lord
That pit arrow spam and that one person spamming pikachu's down b will be real. Just gonna have to learn how to smack em around.

Hong

The Strongest
Welcome to SmashBoards, @ OrangeJuiceGuy OrangeJuiceGuy .

Please avoid double posting. if you can help it. Use the edit feature instead. Thanks. :)

Well, aside from the fact I that I think this is kind of a dour attitude, I would recommend using SmashBoards as a means to make friends, and enemies, to play with.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
This is very frustrating. Wi-fi on the 3ds version (and later), is going to be plagued with 7 year old children, thinking they're the best players in the world, spamming buttons. I don't mind casual players, as long as they don't go around claiming to be the best, and when they lose, start spurting johns such as "u cheted" "tht wan't me plying, it ws my brthr. u suk" I didn't really play much Brawl, but from what I've played I can see the problems the community has with it.

Off topic, I really think this is the chance to get something fresh, and finally let the community move forward. This game has a lot of potential, but it's not going to be the same as melee. I think this game will be better for faster paced characters, with good combo ability. The sad thing is the lack of AT's. LITERALLY NO MORE DASH DANCING?! I think there are some AT's to be found out in this game though.

Anyway back on topic I really wish there was a way to sort out these casual players thinking they're the best from the competitive players...

What do you guys think?
The For Fun mode will most likely host all the little children after the first month or two, as by then they would've probably be forcibly driven out of the For Glory mode as a result of hundreds of rage-inducing losses.

kidd_guez

Smash Rookie
You'd be surprised dude. theres many "casuals" who wont know about the competitive scene or tech skill or anything but love the game just as much and can beat a competitive smasher by just playing smarter. And when you run into a little kid saying those things remember that they are saying those things because of the fact that they are a little kid lol.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I know how it feels, casuals are very annoying, SPECIALLY little kids, but it shouldn't be hard to kick them out of the stage because most don't even know how to recover and playing mindgames and smart also works.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I hear crying about casuals makes it better. Seriously, if you wanna play with people who are not Casuals get friend codes on this website. Also if you let something like casuals ruin a game for you, that's pretty pathetic. I will support casuals and competitive smash players.

I would hate to play smash at a party with you. When I go to parties that smash is at, I get competitive but others are just casuals. Do I get mad? Not at all, as that would be ****ing stupid to get mad over something dumb like that. It's a game man, just relax and smell the roses for once.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
You just, y'know...

Beat them.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
But beating them easily is no fun..
It is no fun! I'll feel bad when I obliterate someone online. Sometimes random people challenge me in Pokemon XY and they have such an awful team, I feel like I just relentlessly destroyed some 8 year old's team, and they won't like playing online anymore :'(

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
You play people based on skill level. So in no time at all you should be playing against people that are about your skill level. Also most casuals probably won't play on for glory because they will find it boring. But if there are a considerable amount, like I said above, you'll play against people your skill level and, if you are as you claim you are (I'm not doubting you I'm just pointing it out), them you'll grind (the casuals you play against) to pieces and they will probably end up hating for glory and just play for fun (like most of them undoubtedly will.)

Last edited:

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
I won't even bother using the "With Anyone" feature much. I go to enough forums (counting this place) that I can easily find a match.

However, I'd probably just beat them. Although I'm kind of a Smash noob (Even though I've played all three Smash games I'm not good at Brawl and 64) a 6/7 Year Old should pose no challenge to me. They'd probably spam and that's it. So eh, no big deal.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So, this kind of thing really bugs me. So what if you run into obnoxious casuals? From a semi-casual perspective, it's no worse than running into self-important competitive players taking themselves and the game far too seriously.

When I play with my best friend, I enjoy myself most when we are winning matches back and forth. It's about having fun for us, not beating each other, which I think is kinda the whole point of a game.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Sadly i have a feeling if i played with you guys i would get owned..alot. I don't mind casuals but overly competitive pepole do annoy me.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Sadly i have a feeling if i played with you guys i would get owned..alot. I don't mind casuals but overly competitive pepole do annoy me.
Feel you man. I'm not nearly as good as most competitive people (in fact I consider myself a causal) but I'm starting to become more competitive. But in the meantime, I'll practice as much as possible and try to kick some butt online! (of course after the game comes out)

Raijinken

Smash Master
We could just, oh I don't know, play For Glory? I personally love the addition so that casual and competetive smashers don't get mixed and argue. I personally don't know what I'm going for
Only issue with that is you're stuck on Final Destination mode forever, which is poor variety even by competitive standards.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Let's deal with the casuals like we did on Brawl's wifi. Don't play on wifi. For Glory is a skill-based matchup, and thus you'll be matched up with people somewhat close to your win percentage. Sure, right away you'll be matched up with seventeen-year-old Will from West Philly who thinks he's all that, but once you play enough matches and bear with it, then you'll be fine.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Fox only

get out scrub

:p
I wonder if we'll get a new version of that video series any time soon.

And clearly the new meta is No Items Zamus Only Wii U Version Only Final Destination Mode.

But for real. For Glory mode is one solution, only playing with friends online is another solution.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it will be a problem. I wish we wouldn't treat "casuals" as outsiders. This is Smash, it invites players of all skill levels. If you run into a bad player online, just beat them and move on. I think this won't be as big as it was in Brawl, since For Glory is a thing. I only wish the ranking system took online wins and losses into account. Having a skill ranking system in a multiplayer setting based on performance in single player modes is just a poor design decision.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I wonder if we'll get a new version of that video series any time soon.

And clearly the new meta is No Items Zamus Only Wii U Version Only Final Destination Mode.

But for real. For Glory mode is one solution, only playing with friends online is another solution.
Not gonna lie, I have no idea what series you're referencing. unless you mean Futurama?

And Zamus won on battlefield, and got there with items :p

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I have to agree that we shouldn't treat casuals as the enemy. Many of us started off as casual players before moving onto the competitive scene. Treating them like some kind of plague only helps with creating a greater gap. In fact I'm hoping that the more I play against casuals the more they get interested in playing competitively or at least think about it. Just my personal opinion on it.

Top Bottom