• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How about a new element?

Naota-Kun

Smash Journeyman
(I feel a lot of bashing could come from this but oh well.)

I was thnking of how the original 17 elements have pretty much stayed the same for a longh time, even with Diamond and Pearl coming out, it remains exactly the same. The elements have no new addition but this question has plagued my mind for a while since the Dark Element came out for Gneeration 2. I found Dark was a bit lonely without a real counterpart and had me thinking. What if Pokemon introduced a new element called Light, which is well obviously a counterpart of the Dark element, Dark representing evil, harm, and destruction whilst Light resembles good, vitality, and development. I know how hard the team creating Pokemon will struggle trying to balance out Light and all other elements being influenced by it but it's a thought of mine.

WafflesAreElGood

Smash Apprentice
Psychic is kind of like Light. The only difference with Light that I can see would be that Dark wouldn't affect Light wouldn't affect Dark. Either that or they would both be super effective agains't each other, so it wouldn't really balance things out.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
He's right; Light is the only core one I can think of too. I suppose there is Wind or Air, but I suppose Flying already counts for that...

Dokuro

Smash Ace
no.

in Japan [or so am i told], the Psychic type is equivalent to Light. so we don't need the Light type.

[wind sucks too, we have flying already. no more new types.]

Knickknacks

Smash Journeyman
if there is a new type they have to renew some of the types which will be the weakness or resistamce of that new type which will be a drag

Naota-Kun

Smash Journeyman
If Psychic is Light then why doesn't it effect Dark. Doesn't Light technically prevail against Dark like good versus evil? Light represents good, repairation, and healing. Dark represents evil, harm, and destruction. Light is the most likely one to come IF a new element were to be implemented but that means the team making Pokemon will severely struggle to rebalance the elements otherwise. Maybe Light can be resistant to Dark, Bug, and Fighting and be weak against Psychic and Ghost?

Naota-Kun

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. Remember, psychic abilities can apply to any element actually. Ever heard of the prefix -kinesis like telekinesis, electrokinesis, pyrokinesis, etc? Besides, Jedi and Sith use psychic powers and one side is Light and the other is Dark.

Naota-Kun

Smash Journeyman
Wood type would technically be Grass type I believe. Besides, I think Piokemon called their type Grass rather than Plant type because of the fact they have Pokemon based on fungis, too, and that would contradict that whole Plant type so they must've chose Grass instead. Pretty much wooden plants grow everywhere (plus more) where grass grows.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I'm not entirely sure what to say here. I was a long time fan of the Pokemon game series (which I still would be if I had the money), but I had also collected the cards... and since just about all the old school cards were disowned by Nintendo, I've had no reason to keep up... and it actually is sort of annoying that they keep coming out with new things.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need anymore change than they've given it. I haven't really seen any good come out of it anyways. I mean, c'mon. They're running out of ideas like mad.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if a lot of people know about these hidden types so I'll just name them. Dough type and whatever the heck Leafass is. Laxatives?

Naota-Kun

Smash Journeyman
I did remember that there was a few glitch types in the first generation games (Blue/Red version) that had types like Bird (speculated to be the beta for Flying but Wind would've been better in my opinion if I were Satoshi Tajiri's teamster), 999, and Pokemaniac. They did nothing to effect the Pokemon's true type so essentially they literally had no weakness or strength. Anyways a Light type could balance out the whol Psychic and Dark war we've had for a while.

Naota-Kun

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but Fighting isn't so much of a soul type element, isn't it. Dark, Ghost, and Psychic seemed to be the most soul based elements in the game so Light type could tilt the favor for an extra soul type.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Light type could work, but I don't see Nintendo ever actually creating Light-type Pokemon and moves. Probably for a reason (Imbalanced?) .

I could think of the Super and Not very Effective types with Light though:

Light vs Grass : Not very Effective.
Light vs Dark : Super (probably the most obvious one)
Light vs Dragon: Super effective
Light vs Fire: Not very effective
Light vs Ghost: Not Super effective, but Ghost moves wouldn't have any effect on Light types.
Light vs Steel: Not very effective
Light vs Bug: Not very effective.

Something like that.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
i was thinking of a "radioactive" type, supereffective against normal, fighting, grass, not effective against fire, steel, ice, etc.

KirbyMan3000

Smash Lord
One of the biggest reasons dark came out was because Psychic basically stood unopposed by all the other types. In RBY the strongest attack against a psychic type was Twin Needle, since only Bugs and Ghosts were super effective against psychic then. Of course neither had any resistence against psychic because the only ghosts were half poison and most bugs are half poison as well. The only thing that could really oppose a powerful psychic (Mewtwo) back then was another psychic. Ghosts couldn't do a thing cause they didn't even have shadowball, the strongest ghost type attack back then that DID ghost type damage was Lick. Night Shade has a fixed amount so that didn't help any.

So yeah, Dark came out to balance things better and make psychic more of just one of the other types than the super type. The way things are now all the types are fairly well balanced. Not one it too strong, nor too weak. Throwing a new type now into the mix would be like throwing a monkey wrench into the works.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't Lick a normal type attack until gold/silver? Unless I'm just confusing changes such as Bite from normal to dark in the transition.

Khanczar

Smash Ace
If you think about it, lava would work. And before you start saying that its just like phyre, hear me out. What exactly is the difference between water and ice? A temperature, that's what. Whats the difference between rock and lava? t3h TEMP.

Lava would be completely resistant to fire and rock, super effective against grass, steel, rock, normal, bug, and DRAGON, and vulnerable to water, (maybe even 4x, without even 2 types) ground, and flying (i know it sounds weird, but attacks like gust technically would, yknow, turn the lava into rock again)

The 4x weakness to water without 2 types would really balance it out. So if a lava/ground type was hit with a surf, it would get hit a frikkin 8x damage.

So magmar and macargo are pretty much lava types.... maybe more.

Holy hell could you imagine a lava type uber? Lava/ice would be off the nerdy chiz-ain, foo'!

phish-it

Smash Champion
Khanczar said:
If you think about it, lava would work. And before you start saying that its just like phyre, hear me out. What exactly is the difference between water and ice? A temperature, that's what. Whats the difference between rock and lava? t3h TEMP.
What, are you insisting there should be steam type?

Water is a large enough part of this world to have its own type. Besides, it's not so much that the ice type is another variation of water, but Low temperature and High Temperature are different types (Ice and Fire).

Still, Rock and Ground should be one type together, they really are that similar.

Would a plasma type fit the whole pokemon system?

It would essentially be something between Ghost/Fire/Electricity, with sort of shapeless energy.

Super Effective against Grass
Super Effective against Dragon
Super Effective against Steel
Not Very Effective against Fire
Not Very Effective against Electricity
Not Very Effective against Ghost
Not Very Effective against Water

Electricity Not Very Effective against Plasma
Fire Not Very Effective against Plasma
Plasma Not Very Effective against Plasma
Psychic Not Very Effective against Plasma
Steel Not Very Effective against Plasma
Plasma Not Very Effective against Plasma
Psychic Not Very Effective against Plasma
Dark Super Effective against Plasma
Ice Super Effective against Plasma
Ground Super Effective against Plasma

Sort of Haphazard strengths/weaknesses

SOme possible plasma pokemon....

good question.

Maybe:

Castform
Ghastly Haunter Gengar would fit the role but already have 2 types
Chimecho
Misdreavus
Magmar
etc.....

K3V1N

Smash Cadet
Steam is more of a Water/Fire sort of type.
Sun is Fire or maybe even grass (sunflora) But it could work...
and Storm is Water, Flying, and Electric basically

Did someone say Math type? :laugh:

:item9:

Plasma might work. I like the idea.

kill_shot

Smash Journeyman
these are the possible types and my thoughts on each
Light: great counter for dark, would be cool to see how they implant this in, phsycic as light, thats hilarious. But light still doesn't work good, why cuz light is heat and we have fire so thats wierd so the moves would be like, Blinding Light! oooh he cant see for 2 turns! or oooh it is the exact same as fire!

Radioactive is too much like poison.

Sound is cool, and Loudred should be that type!

plastic type!:
super effective - electric- Immune
not very eff. - fire -Very eff
super eff - posion - immune
psychic- neutral
not very eff. - ground/rock/ - super eff
water/grass, opposite of ground/rock
dark- neutral

Glass- same as plastic except electric is strong against it

Space-controls space to make moves appear out of thin air with great power, but slow speeds.

Time-contorls time to make its moves not very powerfull but super fast. as fast as light itself!

im bored now

i like storm type

moves:
Thunderstorm!! a water/electric move, Hurricane!! water wind attack, Tornado, super wind attack!!
Y isn't there double move types yet?? example Fire punch

daisythirdeyeW33

Smash Apprentice
I have some choices for new element types.

LIGHT
The power of good, joy, light, and help. This one seems pretty obvious for the series.

SPACE
The power of the universe.

ROBOT
The power of robotic technology.

SHADOW
The power of corruption, confusion, wild.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
pointless thread #321385468433165

Someone mentioned that the types are currently balanced. That is incorrect.

There is about one good bug poke - Heracross, and if it wasn't part fighting, it probably wouldn't have gotten a lot of what it did to make it good (w/o a STABed Focus Punch I really doubt this would be nearly as good as it is).

Poison is a greatly underpowered type. The only real usable poison is Weezing (and Gengar, but I don't really count it as part of this group), and poison is pathetic offensively, only SE against grass.

Ice has like no good resistances (the only thing it resists is itself), and although is useful as an attacking type, is learned by so many pokes that there isn't even a purpose for having ice pokemon in the first place. Regice is about the only thing pokemon-wise the Ice type has. Articuno is a bit more usable after XD, but still isn't that good.

Grass is another type that isn't made for battling, having four weaks and few good resists makes it poor defensively, and the only thing it has makes it worthwhile offensively is that it scores 4x damage on Swampert. The only grass poke deserving of mention is Celebi. In fact, all that's keeping Celebi from being uber is its absolute trash typing.

Fire is pretty much the definition of an awful type, though. The only good SE it gets is against Steel. In fact, the only time you usually see fire moves is on physical sweepers looking to take out skarm. The resistances it has are basically pathetic, with some very common weaknesses. Most fire pokemon are geared toward offense, anyway, though. There are very few usable ones that can actually compete in OU. Moltres became more usable after XD, and Charizard always has had some potential. Houndoom has some usability (discussed later), but even Entei sucks, unable to use its best stat, Atk, a fate shared by many fire types.

Psychic used to be a very potent type, yes. However, Game Freak has spammed the type so much in ubers that it's become an awful attacking type in ubers (where most psychics are), and doesn't even grant many good resistances on the defensive side. In OU, Psychic is only really used at all as an offensive type, and gets its kills through sheer SAtk strength, rather than through SEs. Celebi is possibly the most played Psychic in OU, and it is usually played defensively, but considering it relies on stats rather than typing to survive, I don't think it should count, really.

I suppose you could consider Psychic to have been a bit of a transition into the good types, because its pokes usually recieve very impressive SAtk and Speed, or otherwise usually have something making them worth playing.

Water is an incredibly broken type. Many good pokemon spawn from the water type, with incredible defensive and offensive stats and movepools. Suicune, Swampert, Milotic, Vaporeon, and Gyarados are all very potent OU pokes. The water type even gets its own uber: Kyorge.

Steel is another broken type. Most every good physical wall comes from the steel type, due to its plethora of resistances and most steel pokes having a strong Def stat. Skarm, Steelix, Forretress are all some of the most popular physical walls, and on the offensive side, Metagross and Jirachi are both quite potent. Steel is a bad attacking type, hitting only ice (lol) and rock SE, and several popular types NVE, but since the only thing that ever uses the steel type to attack is Metagross, which gets a HUGE attack, or Jirachi when it uses a CB set with Doom Desire (which ignores typing), it's not much to worry about.

Ground lays claim to what is possibly the best move in the game - EQ. Ground, being SE on 5 types, is an excellent attacking type. The immunity flyers have is negligible, considering most pokes that get EQ also get an attack that allows them to easily deal with flyers. Ground has several very potent pokes, including Donphan, Claydol, Flygon, and Swampert.

I figure I may as well mention Rock right here. Overall, it's a pretty meh type. Most rock types are slow and have low SDef, and rarely make it into OU. However, rock is the reason ground is so overpowered. Commonly referred to as QuakeSlide, the combination of Rock and Ground hits almost every pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage, barring levitating grounds (aka Flygon and Claydol), so you'll almost always be hitting pokes for either a 100 power Ground attack that may cause SE damage, or a 70/75 power (depending on if you go with HP:Rock or RS) SE Rock attack. The only exceptions are Gligar and Skarmory, which both take neutral damage from rock attacks. Skarm will still flee from a STABed rock attack, and ground pokes (or other rock resists) are the more common switch ins on STABed Rock abusers. TTar and Aerodactyl are about the only two popular rocks I can think of off the top of my head. Rhydon and Regirock also occasionally make an appearence.

Dragon, although it isn't a particulary good attacking type (it only hits itself SE; at least the only thing that resists it is Steel), or even that good defensively (falling prey to the ever-so-popular boltbeam combo) hosts some of the best pokes stat- and movepool-wise. Salamence, Dragonite, and Flygon are all OUs, and R/S also added three dragon ubers - Latias, Latios, and Rayquaza.

Electric is an interesting type. It gave birth to great pokes such as Zapdos, Jolteon, Raikou, and Magneton (which is really only used to kill skarm thanks to its trait). There aren't many other electrics that really stand out, though. However, these four pokes are all extremely potent, and the first three are the real reason for people playing special walls at all, so I figured they deserved some recognition. Zapdos is the most broken, though, capable of being played in a variety of different ways, and can be very defensive if it wants to. And before someone says that Electrics can't touch ground types... I have two words for you: Hidden Power.

The following are in a bit of a gray area... none of them are plain awful, and although all have very good pokemon, there's also many sucky pokes mixed in with them. None of these types single-handedly forced the usage of certain things, except in the case of when a type was already overpowered. Some are pretty meh, but it's hard to say the entire class is trash.

Flying is another interesting type. It only ever serves as a subtype to something else. Because of this, half of the pokes of this type are generally trash, while the other half are OUs. Immunity to Ground is nice, making them a good switch in on some CBers. The problem is they also carry a weakness to rock, which, as mentioned above, puts a bit of a damper on their effectiveness for that.

Ghost is a real oddball. It gets a nice set of immunities and a few resistances, but the most OU Ghost poke, Gengar, has trash defenses. It can switch in on several CBed moves to get a free turn, however, given that it also gets Levitate. Gengar will almost never use physical attacks, relying solely on its special and support movepools (aka it's not using either of its STAB moves, and the reason I don't classify it with Weezing in usable poisons), except in the case of Focus Punch to poke holes in special walls, so Ghost is almost never used as an attacking type outside of UU, where Bannete is decent, though you might see some fighters relying on HP:Ghost so they can have their own "hit everything" combo. The other OU Ghost, Dusclops, can take much better advantages of its defensive typing. GF gave Dusclops mediocre Atk and trash HP to complement its impressive defenses, so it's no where near as potent as it could have been, although is still a pain to deal with. Every other Ghost in the game not named Gengar or Dusclops basically sucks (and there aren't too many, making Ghost even more of an oddball).

Dark is another oddball. Umbreon is a pure dark type, and is an extremely defensive pokemon, with great stats and movepool for a utility pokemon, but not much of a way to do damage. All other dark types are far more offensively oriented. Looking at the type chart, it's a poor type either way: offensively or defensively. It has few good SEs, and no real resistances to common types. Houndoom is possibly one of the few good fire types, abusing a base 110 SAtk (iirc) and 100 Spd, with double STAB, Pursuit, Beat Up to put the hurt on Blissey, and access to WoW. Even Houndoom isn't particulary common, though. TTar is the only thing that really makes Dark recognized in OU, and unless you're facing the rare boah, it's showing off its rock type far more. Overall, dark is a very average type, especially after you factor in all the other sucky dark types like Mightyena, Murkrow, or Sneasel.

Fighting, much as the name implies, is a very offensive based type. It has a poor set of resistances, and although it only scores SE on three types, two of those types are very heavily played, and certain fighting pokes are very commonly referred to as "anti-metagame." Very little can switch into the likes of a CBMachamp w/o fearing a huge hit, forcing you to predict right to avoid losing something. Heracross is another pokemon that is a predictor's best friend, and it can also Endrev (Blaziken is also known for Endreving). Breloom with it's famous "SporePunch" can also prove to be a pain for your team.

Normal is an incredibly broad type. It's pretty poor offensively, getting no SEs, getting resisted by two types and completely ignored by another. High power STABed normal attacks still pack a punch, though, and of the many Atk oriented Normals only a handful have made it to OU. A few SAtk oriented normals exist though, such as Porygon2, which is actually a pretty good poke. No normal is a physical wall, but two of the most OU pokes, Snorlax and Blissey, are both special walls, and are both Normals. After that they have nothing in common (which shows just how diverse this type can be).

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
If you had the time to type that, you'd have had the time to get a job with Nintendo and actually do something to improve the next game.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Nintendo added the Dk/St in the second gen. to balance all the other elements. new elements will upset the balance. but uhhh...pope type seems reasonable *points at sig*

Top Bottom