• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
It's harder to sell a console than a handheld. It's faster/cheaper/easier to make games for handhelds.

I don't think 1 or 2 games will get people to flock to WiiU like it did for 3ds. We have Pikmin 3 and SM3DW aka super quality 1st party titles and WiiU is still not selling well.

I truly believe it's the gaming media bias/Nintendo lack of advertisement that has caused the WiiU to limp around since it was born. Yeah there were other smaller things to help take blame but overall it's the media/lack of adverts.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's because they launched with so-so games and little advertisement.

People are waiting for Smash or Mario Kart. Pikmin 3 is a niche title. Mario is fun, but it's not what people wanted.

The install base is super low because of this and third parties are avoiding the Wii U or being lazy.

Nintendo should have delayed the Wii U release until they had better games. The "slowly build an install base and then release good games approach" has failed.

Xyro77

It's because they launched with so-so games and little advertisement.

People are waiting for Smash or Mario Kart. Pikmin 3 is a niche title. Mario is fun, but it's not what people wanted.

The install base is super low because of this and third parties are avoiding the Wii U or being lazy.

Nintendo should have delayed the release until they had better games. They "slowly build an install base and then release good games approach" has failed.
The install base is low because 90% of Wii buyers moved on to tablet/phone games (cheaper/easier to acquire casual games). Combine that with the fact that the WiiU is aimed at the core base......a base that is attached to Sony/Microsoft for the past 7-8 years. It's a super uphill battle.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I truly believe it's because the Wii U lacks good games.

Is it really worth it to get a Wii U for Smash if you don't care about the other games that are out?

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
If they offer a solid net code for online play, It could be a game changer. None of that 2 minute taunt rooms.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lots of people think the wii u isn't next gen spec wise. It can be compared better to a 360/ps3 rather than a ps4/xbox one. The only thing that would actually get people to buy it based off that is the games, and like RT said, there ain't much games.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Generation is defined by time, not power.
People are just being dumb about the definition.

In terms of power, the Wii U is between the PS3/Xbox360 and the PS4/Xbone. Again, people are being dumb or uninformed. Not that power matters if the games aren't FUN.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lol, once smash 4 DEMO is out, I will go out and buy a freaking wii u. Just saying that LOTS of people think that way. Nintendo just needs to adapt to it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's a next gen console with the power closer to that of a last gen console. People need to deal with it and move on. If power=enjoyment, PC should be the greatest platform ever, but you still see people beg for certain games to be ported to PC. Same goes for people wanting Nintendo games on non-Nintendo systems.

It's quite stupid.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Unfortunately those people will never deal with it. But let me ask, what's the harm in nintendo making the wii u (spec wise) as powerful as the ps4/xbox one? Wouldn't it even help capture those fools?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The Wii U could be 10x more powerful, but it won't matter if there aren't any third parties to support it. Part of it is because of Nintendo's past, but it's also because of lazy developers. Plus Nintendo has the whole family-oriented gaming which some people perceive as "kiddy." Apparently there is some unspoken rule that you can't enjoy Nintendo games after you become an adult.

Newflash: VIDEO GAMES ARE A HOBBY. As long as you play any video game, be it CoD, Mario or Barbie's Dreamhouse Wonderland, you are a NERD. People need to do what they want and stop being so insecure about appearances.

Xyro77

Nintendo knows that graphical power has a ceiling. You can only get so realistic before it becomes virtual reality or real life. So why focus on an aspect that a PC will ALWAYS beat you at? Why focus on an aspect that has a ceiling?

Nintendo focus on innovation through gameplay/hardware. The mainstream media/gamer are more shallow than a kiddie pool so they buy whatever it's talked about the most/looks the best graphically.

WiiU has many widely accepted good games. W101, Pikmin 3, SM3DW, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, ZombiU....ect and this isn't even counting the superior ports of games like Deus Ex: HR or Need for Speed:MW....ect on the WiiU. There is enough for the system to do well but because it's not what the mainstream media wants, they bash it and deem it a "last gen" system.

Kart and Smash and XenoBlade Chronicles 2 and Bayonetta 2 are good games for the future but there is truly no reason to wait on the WiiU if you want "good games" because they are already here.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Once again, WHY NOT? It literally only hurts them to have a weaker system. Why not be innovative and have a competitive upgrade in specs? That's a reason why some 3rd party developers don't want to make games on the Wii U. They have to go to the trouble of down scaling the whole game etc.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Because that would make the Wii U more expensive, also being the weakest console didn't stop the Wii from selling like hotcakes. The Wii U was just marketed very poorly.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
I got a hell of a kick out of those Wii Would Like to Play commercials.
Disappointing that they didn't rehash those for the WiiU.

I can't remember which games were advertised for the Wii's early days but it was **** to look forward to while fiddling around with WiiSports.

Xyro77

Wii was weakest of the 7th gen and won.

Ps2 was weakest of the 6th gen and won.

Why did wii win? It Advertised to the largest player base........the casuals and non gamers. From tv/movies to the American heart association it was advertised like crazy.

Why did ps2 win? Game games games and games. Ps2 has prob the best library of games since SNES.

Power is NOT needed in order to win or do well. Know your History.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Once again, WHY NOT? It literally only hurts them to have a weaker system. Why not be innovative and have a competitive upgrade in specs? That's a reason why some 3rd party developers don't want to make games on the Wii U. They have to go to the trouble of down scaling the whole game etc.

Taken straight from Iwata speech tonight

"One more thing, we will continue to value the motto which we inherited from the company’s former president, Mr. Yamauchi: The True Value of Entertainment lies in Individuality.

Nintendo is not a resource-rich company, with only a little more than 5,000 employees on a consolidated basis. We cannot achieve a strong presence by imitating others and simply competing in terms of size. We have often received advice on overcoming our weaknesses in comparison with other companies and have been questioned about why Nintendo doesn’t follow suit when something is already booming. From a medium- to long-term standpoint, however, we don’t believe that following trends will lead to a positive outcome for Nintendo as an entertainment company. Instead, we should continue to make our best efforts to seek a blue ocean with no rivals and create a new market with innovative offerings as a medium- to long-term goal."

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I mean, they didn't say much that was ground breaking. They basically said they need to emphasize the game pad, get rid of friend codes (this was a mistake form the beginning) and the cheaper games (reward system kinda cool).

Well they have put themselves away from the trends smis, but in a negative fashion with the wii u.

Xyro77

I mean, they didn't say much that was ground breaking. They basically said they need to emphasize the game pad, get rid of friend codes (this was a mistake form the beginning) and the cheaper games (reward system kinda cool).

Well they have put themselves away from the trends smis, but in a negative fashion with the wii u.

Negative fashion? By who's standard? The mainstream sheep gamer standards? The biased medias standards? I'm glad they don't follow those morons or else we would have watered downed inferior PCs (aka ps4/x-bone) with the 3rd-4th iteration of the same controller with 90th iteration of the same CoD and other terrible games.

No thanks.

I prefer new controllers, new game play....ect.

Xyro77

Oh and razer, WiiU doesn't have friend codes.

Also, read the other links I posted. There is NFC stuff and much more.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
The whole state of the wii u shows it's in a negative fashion. Once again, what is wrong with having spec power AND Nintendo innovation and controllers? You get double the bang.

The 3DS does. I read that. It's not ground breaking nor do I see that as turning it around for Nintendo.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There is nothing wrong with power and innovation, but one of the main selling points of Nintendo home consoles is that they are cheaper than the competition. For the Wii U, it's no surprise that the Gamepad adds to the system cost. If the system was also built to have similar power to the PS4/Xbone, then it would cost probably $150-200 more when it was initially released.

Xyro77

Innovation is risky and expensive. The tablet alone is 150$ iirc. Later on down the road it will be cheaper but as if now it's too expensive to pump out a super graphics machine with a tablet controller. That would be like $499 or more. We learned from gaming history that super high price fails. See: ps3

The things you have read in the article are HUGE life changing things for Nintendo. You not seeing it is the biggest proof I've seen that you are the typical graphics wwhhoorree who is part of the mainstream shallow sheep "gamer" group.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
The controller seems to be hit or bust on games though. Example: Smash. Only 1 person can use the controller. Smash will sell Wii U's, not the controller.

Lol not really. I have never bought an xbox or ps3/ps4. I've literally only used my money towards games on Nintendo consoles such as the DS Lite, DSi, Wii and 3DS. And I will be buying a Wii U in the future before a ps4. Nintendo entering HEALTH doesn't do anything for a gamer. That's literally irrelevant to me and only shows they want to focus on the casual market ($$$) and cut the base of their core gamers.

Xyro77

You are missing the point about the controller. Have you played ZombiU or Deus Ex HR or W101....ect with the tablet? It fixes sooooo many issues that regular controllers cause. Yes, that type if thing is not being applied to every game and that is what Nintendo is focusing on now. They want to make the tablet the reason why you buy a WiiU. They want the people to known that the WiiU is different than the wii and the only way to do that it to put full force on the tablet. Upcoming games (starting with kart) are focusing 110% on tablet features. NFC (another tablet feature) will be talked about heavily at e3.

The healthcare thing. I feel you missed the point there too. It is a device that links gaming and QOL. Automatically you assume it casual. Look at gaming history and you will see that many times it's not always casual related. Wiimote, DDR pad, Kinect.....ect are all items that make you move or make things easier for you. Those are all QOL items. Don't jump the gun and assume the worst because we simply don't have enough info to judge correctly.

Also, sony have a tv/movie division and they still make decent games. Microsoft has a PC division and they still make decent games. Nintendo going into health care doesn't auto mean they can't still make decent games.

LEARN FROM GAMING HISTORY

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
According to their own stats, the average Nintendo user on a console plays through 3 games. Those will certainly not be my 3. Smash and DK look good, tabletless controllers (DKTC will literally have a blank wii pad screen).

Lol c'mon man. You know this is going to be focused around stuff like Wii Fit. That was a huge thing for them. This will be casual based.

I never said they couldn't make decent games. They can make AMAZING games as seen with Smash and stuff. But, they need to start having 3rd party exclusives or even at least 1 new hit IP. Having 3rd party games literally can make or break you and they're hurting from the lack of them/watered down versions of them.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
W101 is one of those games that requires actual effort to play. There are very few instructions on screen and the game doesn't do very much handholding (lol puns).

Some reviewers were taking away points on reviews because they claimed the game was too hard. That is utter bull**** and they should know better. But I guess challenging gameplay is too much for modern gaming and asking players to LEARN how to play is too much.

Btw, it's on sale at Amazon for $24 (make sure amazon.com is the seller). I highly recommend it, it's certainly worth it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The controls are fine if you're not ********.

There was an IGN video where you were required to draw straight line to follow the onscreen line. The person struggled to draw the line for two minutes. Using the stylus. So, who is the real culprit here? I WONDER...

Honestly, the controls and gameplay mechanics take maybe 15-20 minutes to get understand. But once you figure everything out, there is nothing wrong. Again, people don't want to learn. They want "press x to win" or button mash to victory gameplay.

Top Bottom