• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Unless smash 4 is good and it kills pm melee and brawl collectively, and then we actually have a decent sized scene~

Shoutout to the Houston rockets for bopping Portland tho

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I don't think you understand. Brawl, a dying species, got freaking 350+. If smash 4 is relatively new, expect all Brawl players and a portion of melee players to participate. If it's remotely close to melee in some way, expect a lot of melee people to enter.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I plan on getting a Wii U specifically for Smash 4 when it comes out.

In other news, I would like to admit that I once accidentally cut my hand on pasta sauce. I seem to keep topping myself in how clumsy I can be.

:059:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Will the majority of y'all be playing Smash 4 on the 3/2DS or on the Wii U?
99% of competitive players will get the WiiU version because it will be tournament standard.

When smash4 is released I'll do events for it the very next month.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You should still do a 3DS version side event.

I know you want to see someone throw a 3DS across the room in a rage and watch it shatter to pieces. Well spent $150.

Xyro77

Think about this for a sec

WiiU
1vs1
2vs2
LT/MT 1vs1
LT/MT 2vs2

Now you want those events on a 3ds too? That would take a one day event and make it a 3 day event because we will have Kart/pokes and De Angelo's games (mvc3/KI/SSF4U) being played too. I don't see how it would be possible unless I did some type of whobo thing.

Xyro77

You could just make them happen at the same time. Smaller pool for 3ds?
It will work if the tournament is no bigger than 40 players. After that, it gets ridiculous hard and cannot be achieved in the timeframe I have reserved.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I meant like a 3DS side event and cap it at 16 entrants and rotate between singles, doubles, mid-tier etc.

You could always reserve the right to cancel it since it IS a side event.

Since the 3DS has its own stages, there will be some interest in it.

Just something to think over.

Xyro77

I'm not sure stages would justify it being it's own event. And yea id def cap it if I did do a side event.

Question, can ssb4 WiiU be played with a 3ds controller? I don't remember if anything was said about that.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Different stages would mean different ruleset and metagame in terms of counterpicking stages. Probably not a huge one since it can be assumed Battlefield and FD will be on both, but who knows.

For controller use, no confirmation as of yet, but certainly is possible I would imagine. The Circle Pad Pro makes the 3DS resemble a Wii U gamepad/pro controller.

It's up to Sakurai and his madness...

Xyro77

I just don't see it as a big enough thing to make me want to run legit tournaments for.

We'll see though

Xyro77

This can be both amazing and terrible.

It looks like that if a character has a large amount of "air time" ( MK usually) he will lose some invincibility while on the ledge. This is good.

It also appears that while some one is grabbing a ledge, it can be taken away from them with out being hit. This is bad.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Too little information leads to so much speculation.

How does this affect tether characters (notice Link was used as the example)? Does it give them more priority?

How does this apply to freefalling characters?

How does this affect autosnap or characters without it?

Will it adversely affect edgeguarding?

We need a demo plz...

Xyro77

I don't think auto snap is in the game. We already saw a vid where Mario did his cape AT the ledge and he fell to his death.

Tether characters get pooped on in every game in terms of tecovery

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I think it'd be beneficial (basing that the goal is to counter ledge stalling/planking). We just gotta see for DAS DEMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Xyro77

Extender was not very useful , rt.

Razer, don't get excited for the demon the demo for melee and brawl were diff than the actual game.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I was referring to your claim that all tether recoveries got pooped on. This was not true in Melee. It was simply an optional way for them to recover. BRAWL pooped on tethers.

Xyro77

An optional but very punishable way to recover. It's unsafe and not good. Brawl was worse.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Fine fine, I'll write a letter to Sakurai and tell him to make all tether users invincible during recovery. Including Olimar.

You can thank me later.

Xyro77

Why would I want a brawl character like olimar BETTER in ssb4? I don't.

I want WiiFitGirl to be good

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Give Mario a tether recovery.

Xyro77

I hope both are removed.

Items that stay on the stage for long periods of time are stupid.

Items that trip and stupid.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You seem to have forgotten about the Mega Man blades that can stick to the ground and be picked up. And I remember Mario easily catching the blade when it was thrown at him. So expect more of the same.

If Diddy returns, expect the bananas to return. As far as glide tossing, it is a physics exploit, sort of like wavedashing was. If Sakurai wanta to remove it, he will. If not then...welp.

Xyro77

Items will always be in the game. I'd like them to be link Link bombs or Peach veggies. Meaning they disappear fastish. Bananas last way too long and they trip......stupid.

Glide tossing is still cool in my book just not with bananas.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I assume bananas have the same timer as other items. You just don't notice it since they are rarely left alone for a long periods of time during a match. And bananas trip because...they are bananas. Maybe the tripping time can be nerfed, but you can't take away it's distinctive trait. Otherwise it's just a smokeless Smoke Ball.

Xyro77

I assume bananas have the same timer as other items. You just don't notice it since they are rarely left alone for a long periods of time during a match. And bananas trip because...they are bananas. Maybe the tripping time can be nerfed, but you can't take away it's distinctive trait. Otherwise it's just a smokeless Smoke Ball.
i am 99% sure link bombs/turnips and not out as long as a banana.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Bombs and turnips are projectiles treated like an item. They can be picked up and thrown, but they disappear after hitting something. They also disappear (or explode) after sitting idle for a few seconds because that is how a projectile attack should function.

Bananas are an item used as an projectile attack by a character. But because they are inherently an item, they have unique properties compared to other projectiles.

It's just how the game works.

Xyro77

i knew all of that. im talking about timers. if diddy bananas had half the timer it has, diddy would be forced to pull them out more often and thus leaving him open for more damage. i hope this happens in smash4 IF hes back.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I doubt it will, because it is treated as an item and not projectile.

Just one of the things you need to DEAL WITH IT, unless you ban the move itself...or the character...

In other news get Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze. The soundtrack seems to be very good so far. David Wise never leave again...

Xyro77

I did DWI for almost 6 years now. I just don't wanna DWI for another 6. It will be easier when I use another char but still dumb that it exists.

Top Bottom