• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
"Xyro and Claire" will be a playable character. Their disjointed hitboxes trips you while giving you flower damage into an infinite chain grab while shuttle loopin gin the air.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
.........sweet

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Actually, the faster part was not in Brawl.

I'm curious as to how much faster. Would amuse me if it is as fast as a laser shot.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Samus charge shot is stronger and faster too. its cool i guess but the aura thing is still stupid.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It'd be amusing to Samus be buffed back to near Melee-Samus levels.

Xyro77

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
ACTUALLY, we all know the EXTENDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is the only reason why anyone plays Samus. Now if Samus can EXTENDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR her Zair in the new Smash, then it would be 100-0 matchups for all characters.

Denti

Smash Master
I'm still super hyped for Smash 4. Sure it probably won't be Melee 2.0 but I doubt it'll be Brawl 2.0.

Every smash game seems to be their own. Also hype for the new ledge mechanic, it's genius imo.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Pokebank is out for Europe, Australia, and New Zealand now.

You poor people who who aren't super close friends with someone in UK.

Gonna trade my stuff to my British friend tonight to transfer over to me ^^

:059:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Xyro, running 3DS smash should be a no brainer at the beginning. 90% of entrants will have a setup and....why are you planning to run lt/mt right now anyway? That shouldnt even be considered until half a year after release at the earliest. By then, Mario Kart will probably be dead anyway.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
A 3DS Smash tournament would be kinda lame. I'm sure most of us would have WiiU's to bring by the time Smash 4 comes out.

Xyro77

Xyro, running 3DS smash should be a no brainer at the beginning. 90% of entrants will have a setup and....why are you planning to run lt/mt right now anyway? That shouldnt even be considered until half a year after release at the earliest. By then, Mario Kart will probably be dead anyway.
1. 3ds smash is inferior in every way to the WiiU version AND you cannot spectate like you could with the WiiU (picture LFs/WFs/GFs on a 3ds with 50+ people huddled around it). Unless the 3ds version has some worthwhile appeal, i will never support it.

2. I never said i would do low/mid tier events at the beginning. Ive been through the beginings of melee and brawl so i know that tiers list dont start to make sense until the 2nd or 3rd iteration. In melee, i remember a time were ICs and Doc mario were considered low tier. I remember in brawl when ness/ike/sonic/squirtle were low tier. I will not do tiered events until the 2nd tier list is released.

3. Mario Kart Wii (some say the worst mario kart) was the 2nd or 3rd highest seller on the Wii (sold 3x as much as brawl did). To this very day, Insomnia holds Wii kart tournaments that hit 30 entrants or more. WiiU kart has the ability to do the same. Ill be doing events before smash comes out you know, its not like im gonna wait until smash 4 is out before i do stuff. And lets say WiiUKart is a flop.....ill drop it and do another nintendo game.

My new series is going to be much different that what you think you know.

Tesh

Smash Hero
^you can spectate smash just as well as any other 3ds game. Didn't you just mention pokemon and kid icarus in your post earlier? It shouldn't even be a factor really.

I'm just saying, 3ds smash wouldnt take up setups the way extra wii u events would (kart/tier whatever).

Xyro77

^you can spectate smash just as well as any other 3ds game. Didn't you just mention pokemon and kid icarus in your post earlier? It shouldn't even be a factor really.

I'm just saying, 3ds smash wouldnt take up setups the way extra wii u events would (kart/tier whatever).
Tesh, it is a literally impossibility to have 50 people crowd around a 3ds and spectate. Where as its 110% possible for those very same 50 players to crowd around a tv (ive seen it done for 10 years now).

I never mentioned KI tournaments and even if i did, the game didnt sell well and its been 2 years since it was released. Its dead.

Pokemon is not a spectator game like smash is so i have no worries about billions of people crowding around a 3ds to see who wins.

edit: smash 3ds if inferior in every way. no need to support it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
people stream and record 3ds all the time, meaning its very possible to get the visuals onto a much much bigger screen.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It is, but you'd have to buy a $250+ capture card.

If you're willing to donate that much for multiple units, please do so.

Xyro77

RT is right.

People want to spectate smash. Not just on one TV for grand finals. We would need that expensive equipment for several TV. It's just not feasible.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its really not that expensive, especially if people in the community already have one.

250$ is nothing to a sponsor to get some extra exposure on a stream that wouldnt exist without them.

You've already decided before release that the 3DS version isn't worth playing. If a weaker system automatically meant a weaker game, you wouldn't see Melee attendance toppling Brawl for a long while now. I'm not saying it wouldn't naturally take a backseat to the Wii U version, but it seems kind of presumptuous to not even give it a chance from the beginning. Especially when its so easy to run it.

As for pokemon, don't assume that because you or I think its boring to watch that no one wants to watch it. I think football and LoL are boring to watch, but they draw a bigger crowd than the things I prefer.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You're right Tesh. $250 is nothing to a sponsor.

So...wanna sponsor us? For the low, low price of $250.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well like Xyro said, you need more than one. $1000 is more than I'm willing to spend on this venture, but think of how expensive advertising is. Apex leverages their reach to get sponsors and Xyro could do the same I'm sure.

You are acting like this is some outlandish amount for a sponsor to provide when its barely anything for a company thats not nearly out of business.

Even without a stream or spectator setups, handheld games are an easy, low resource way to get more people at your tournaments and grow your scene and the reputation of your events.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
You're comparing regionals (what Allan is gonna be hosting) to an INTERNATIONAL. The biggest one at that. Tesh, the point is that 3DS tournament is not realistic unless you're going to shell out $1000+ dollars (this would be for 5 tvs only). It's pointless to have the same game (just different consoles) at the same tournament. You will reduce numbers for the Wii U version or vice versa. I sure wouldn't effing waste my time entering the 3DS version if im competing in the Wii U version which will take all day. C'mon man. This is something for like at sync's house where there's 1 and for fun.

Tesh

Smash Hero
There is a very major chance that the 3DS scene will bring in people that wouldn't otherwise attend. You don't care because you are a Smash junkie that will buy a Wii U at midnight the day Smash 4 releases and probably never have to purchase another wii u game in the next half decade to be satisfied. But for less hardcore players, they will see a cheaper, portable system with a much stronger library and more people to play with. And those people (should they decide to try competitive play), might shy away from a 400$ investment (console, game, wii u pro) to be able to practice.

I'm just pointing out that there is value in having 3DS there and giving it a real shot. Its not like Xyro can't run multiple events or something. This wouldn't interfere with anything.

The games aren't even out yet, for all you know the Wii U won't even be able to hold a signal with 60 wireless controllers in one room and smash on 3DS will be the future.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thats fine, I'm not worried about the 3DS scene dying without xyro's approval. People ARE going to play that game too (at least at the first months after launch) and it would be a shame to see the local scene split when a different TO competes for tourney dates.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I don't see why a 3DS player can't go to Wii U tournaments. Aren't both versions supposed to play the same with the exception of some stages? The only thing they would need is a controller for the Wii U. They can do all their practicing on the 3DS. The only thing that would suck for them is getting used to switching between 3DS and Wii U controls. Now if only you could use the 3DS as a controller on the WIi U.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pokebank is out.

Time to unleash evil.

Xyro77

Tesh, the 3ds version is ****.

1. Worst graphics.

2. Worse frame rate. Big problem for fighting games.

3. Worse controls. WiiU pro controller is better in every way.

4. Worse system battery life. 3ds would last less than 5 hours. Tournaments run 12 hours or more. Tell me, how much time will be wasted at charge stations charging a 3ds?

5. Not possible for players to spectate on a wide scale without spending $250. Players have a hard enough time spending money on venue, tournament fees, food and the actual gas money to get to a tournament. Asking them to get a $250 item is stupid. It is even more stupid for a TO to spend the money when he has the WiiU version available.

6. If the 3ds can be used as a WiiU controller, that will further prove the 3ds version is irrelevant.

About splitting the scene.

1. I've been Houston's TO for almost 10 years now. People continue coming to my events for a reason.

2. DugFin and several other "TOs" have tried to take the scene from me for years (melee/brawl) and they have all failed. I allowed melee to be taken when I moved on to brawl and I will allow brawl to be taken (lolol who would want it) when smash 4 is out.

3. Notice these other Brawl TOs that have appeared? They are either dead or have much lower numbers/power than me. Why? Because they are in it for money and to promote themselves or their business (insomnia, for example). They do not house the players, travel with the players, play with the players and do things with the players (movies/go out to eat....ect). I do things they never will and that is why I will never be defeated unless I give it up.

Top Bottom