• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Chris agrees with you Sand-trap, and I do too. Atleast for a while, the noobs will do better than they should be, because the game is geared a little bit more towards them right now. Give us time to get our game up and we'll be putting them back where they usually are :)

And i just added ya, CF.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
congrats dave u got the 1000th post,
also
sethlon that is so true! with the new engine the playing field was literally reset so atm it seems more noob friendly, just wait a year or so when people start getting good, lol then everyone will act like brawl is superior in every way!

and roy,
lol what sand trap said was right! playing ur pikachu is like playing someone with thier c-stick taped down! :'(

Popertop

Smash Champion
Are you so thick-headed you don't realize the new meta-game?!
BRAWL IS THE ADVENT OF MIND-GAMES!!!
Who cares about the loss of technical skill?
With the addition of diminishing returns and the loss of combos, players will actually have to THINK to win.
Is it really all that bad if the smarter player wins?
Stop whining about Brawl not being Melee and step up!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There isn't a loss of combos, it's just we don't KNOW what they are since the game has only been out for what, two weeks in the US and almost two months in Japan? I like how some people are expecting to sit down with the game for the very first time and IMMEDIATELY find all the possible combos and advanced techs. Yeah, that's totally NOT unreasonble...

But whatever, people have their own opinions. Brawl is still too fun. :)

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
Chris agrees with you Sand-trap, and I do too. Atleast for a while, the noobs will do better than they should be, because the game is geared a little bit more towards them right now. Give us time to get our game up and we'll be putting them back where they usually are :)

And i just added ya, CF.
No, I played some n00bs at the college. They got rapped just as bad as when they played me in Melee. Not even close.

Cesar(WTF!)

Smash Apprentice
hey sethlon, cf, rockettrainer, zxalla and whoever does play brawl do you guys want to play next week at my house or somewhere? I want to see how you guys re doing in brawl so far :) so plz let's do this lol

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
During the week would be harder to arrange, because ray/gabe have work/class =/

Now, if you want to drive out to us, thats a different story :)

SideEffect

Smash Journeyman
Roy, those videos on the page back are classic.

And whoever said "Brawl is just more mind games who needs technical skill" or whatever is on crack.

Lets just play basketball without dribbling.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
i like brwal probally because i was not good at melee i wanna play u guys online onii you know you got something coming your way a immensly ghey joke and you should take it...
i will after you take the joke i am bout to throw at you...other than that if you want a new sig just pm me with the link to the image you want...i have gotten alot better at making sigs btw

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
There isn't a loss of combos, it's just we don't KNOW what they are since the game has only been out for what, two weeks in the US and almost two months in Japan? I like how some people are expecting to sit down with the game for the very first time and IMMEDIATELY find all the possible combos and advanced techs. Yeah, that's totally NOT unreasonble...

But whatever, people have their own opinions. Brawl is still too fun. :)
actually, there really is a loss of combos due to disgustingly easy DI, the grotesquely short amount of time it takes characters to be able to attack again after they're hit, and the fact that most moves/throws just send the opponent up and away. o ya and i forgot they smothered all characters in extra sloppy mayo, so nobodys even fast enough to combo in the first place. o ya, and i forgot that everybody's jumps are like luigi's in melee.

id also like to throw in that they've almost completely gotten rid of edgegaurding, just look at 90% of the casts up b's. o ya and did i mention that you now AUTOMATICALLY SWEETSPOT. its so ****ing easy to see that nintendo is just catering to people that aren't good at video games.

so ya lets see, they took out combos and edgegaurding, threw in random tripping for God knows why, and now you can do anything you want after an air dodge so feel free to spam that **** all day. so ya...brawl is not "smarter". its just simpler and slower. you think the smarter player is gonna win? watch, i would put money that after awhile, the campiest players will win. enjoy.

with that said, i'll see you guys at the tournament.

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
wow

james basically scooped out everything on my mind about brawl and slapped it on a plate.

i agree with everything he said, that air dodge **** pisses me off, the whole floaty thing pisses me off, the whole super-fast air recovering pisses me off.

i guess its still kinda fun, just not competitive

deaner92

Smash Rookie
"1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s)."
I dont understant what you mean by the higher seed.
and if one person chooses gc controller do we all have to use them?

btw this will be my first tournament if i come...and I'll probobly get my butt handed to me....

Popertop

Smash Champion
actually, there really is a loss of combos due to disgustingly easy DI, the grotesquely short amount of time it takes characters to be able to attack again after they're hit, and the fact that most moves/throws just send the opponent up and away. o ya and i forgot they smothered all characters in extra sloppy mayo, so nobodys even fast enough to combo in the first place. o ya, and i forgot that everybody's jumps are like luigi's in melee.
Then go play Melee.

id also like to throw in that they've almost completely gotten rid of edgegaurding, just look at 90% of the casts up b's. o ya and did i mention that you now AUTOMATICALLY SWEETSPOT. its so ****ing easy to see that nintendo is just catering to people that aren't good at video games.
Tether recoveries are easily gimped.

so ya lets see, they took out combos and edgegaurding, threw in random tripping for God knows why, and now you can do anything you want after an air dodge so feel free to spam that **** all day. so ya...brawl is not "smarter". its just simpler and slower. you think the smarter player is gonna win? watch, i would put money that after awhile, the campiest players will win. enjoy.
Now you're not utterly helpless if you air dodge off the stage accidentally, and it add another level to the gameplay if you can attack and jump after an air dodge.
Diminishing returns will force you to use your moves more wisely.
Everyone knows campy players don't have any balls and are boring to watch.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
would not the "campiest" player be the smartest player... for camping??

Yea most recoveries are easy gimped. all the teather ones can be gimped just by grabbing the ledge. but thats really just those.

Smart players can be good at this game. Really good at it....

-G@BE

kage921

Smash Journeyman
oh alright, I'll see if I drive to guys in wednesday. hey guys whoever else is interested in playing next week answer plz
hey I'm down to play next week just let me know what day so i could ask for the day off from work...... also so we could maybe get a match or two of GG. :):):):)

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Roy lol, why do you have to anger with me your spamming!?

Roy's Pikachu: D-smash + Thunder, F-smash, and bolt...that's it. That's literally all I saw. Mostly D-smash + Thunder, with 2 F-smash and bolts whenever he wasn't close enough to D-smash, haha. But it only works when I lag. But you know this, so why you'd do such a thing when we're trying to learn...I have no idea :(.

I really want to play everyone irl, but even my friend irl can just pick Wolf, spam his ridiculous F-smash and laser mostly (plus mixing it up a tiny bit with other attacks, but mainly laser and F-smash), and make me only 1- or 2-stock him in a 4-stock game, whereas in Melee I'd 4-stock him all day long. Is it just me, or is Brawl just easier to be good at when compared to Melee? I think the people who love Brawl's competitive side just weren't as good in Melee, honestly. Don't get me wrong, I love Brawl cause it's fun and sexy, but...yeah.
thats how ghey pika is in brawl and they gave him after effects with the lightning just to make sheild grabbing ghey.

Velox

Smash Ace
Sethlon, I think I didn't make why I said that about Toon Link and my Marth clear, my mistake.

What I meant was that I was showing an example of the extreme freedom in Brawl, and how less educated players can get away with stupid crap, you don't even have to know what you're doing. I wasn't exhibiting it as some sort of situation in the game that I won't ever be able to cope with, it's just stupid, that's all.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the priority on Wario's "bite" is completely outrageous?

Also, once we actually figure out how the priority works in this game, we can actually play it, because right now we are all just swinging around like idiots and hopeing that our spacing will guarentee us a hit over our opponent. Well............................. let me tell you something, this is what annoys me about Brawl the most right now, it's near unpredictable on lots of moves if you both hit at each other, who is actually going to get the hit. In Brawl, I knew that if Fox n-aired at another Fox whom u-tilted, the u-tilting Fox would win. Hell, in this game, the stupidest crap seems to outprioritize other moves, it's hilarious (see Wario's bite...)

G@BE

Smash Lord
Warios bite is really good... Wario is really good in general he is just weird to move with.

We should all play today chris

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
I just finished a 3-hour session, and this is a recurring frustration:

I'm Metaknight playing against Wolf. I land next to Wolf, expecting him to roll. I wait until he rolls as predicted, and go to grab as Metaknight, who is one of the fastest grabbers in the game, and I STILL get hit by Wolf's jab combo out of the roll! Even after just sitting and waiting for the roll, he rolls and I STILL can't get there in time? Are you kidding me? Like, seriously...what the flying **** is this? Now, even knowing what my opponent's going to do isn't good enough, even with a fast character like Metaknight? Unbelievable!

I mean, really? Really?

I think that rolling is just too good in Brawl, especially with dash dancing's effectiveness from Melee taken away (I still dash dance, but it just isn't the same because I can't dash far enough to scare the opponent into rolling without breaking out of the dash dance due to only being able to dash dance with the initial frames of the dash animation). And since all the good players are not used to rolling, they are having trouble with the bad players, who are used to rolling all the time. Does that make sense to anyone, or?

C

Cc CWEEZY cC

wario is the best evaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ...whats up guys cant find my last post...i forget when the tourny is...i think you said its on the fifth right?...i need to find out how much money the ****s is gonna cost to play...HIT ME UP so i can go

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
I just finished a 3-hour session, and this is a recurring frustration:

I'm Metaknight playing against Wolf. I land next to Wolf, expecting him to roll. I wait until he rolls as predicted, and go to grab as Metaknight, who is one of the fastest grabbers in the game, and I STILL get hit by Wolf's jab combo out of the roll! Even after just sitting and waiting for the roll, he rolls and I STILL can't get there in time? Are you kidding me? Like, seriously...what the flying **** is this? Now, even knowing what my opponent's going to do isn't good enough, even with a fast character like Metaknight? Unbelievable!

I mean, really? Really?

I think that rolling is just too good in Brawl, especially with dash dancing's effectiveness from Melee taken away (I still dash dance, but it just isn't the same because I can't dash far enough to scare the opponent into rolling without breaking out of the dash dance due to only being able to dash dance with the initial frames of the dash animation). And since all the good players are not used to rolling, they are having trouble with the bad players, who are used to rolling all the time. Does that make sense to anyone, or?
i agree look at olimar f-smash dragon ball z priority loz i was playing pika i had ganon and i found out that just finding priority like ganons d-tilt dominating.

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
Sethlon, I think I didn't make why I said that about Toon Link and my Marth clear, my mistake.

What I meant was that I was showing an example of the extreme freedom in Brawl, and how less educated players can get away with stupid crap, you don't even have to know what you're doing. I wasn't exhibiting it as some sort of situation in the game that I won't ever be able to cope with, it's just stupid, that's all.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the priority on Wario's "bite" is completely outrageous?

Also, once we actually figure out how the priority works in this game, we can actually play it, because right now we are all just swinging around like idiots and hopeing that our spacing will guarentee us a hit over our opponent. Well............................. let me tell you something, this is what annoys me about Brawl the most right now, it's near unpredictable on lots of moves if you both hit at each other, who is actually going to get the hit. In Brawl, I knew that if Fox n-aired at another Fox whom u-tilted, the u-tilting Fox would win. Hell, in this game, the stupidest crap seems to outprioritize other moves, it's hilarious (see Wario's bite...)
Quit *****ing and play with seth, gabe and I. Also, you should get a phone already. Getting a hold of you is impossible.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Yeah, you should play with us chris :)

Also, for the record, ganon's overB is like the best move in the ****in game.

Velox

Smash Ace
Yeah Gabe, me and Cesar were talking and I am going to play with you guys today. I'll call u or Cesar round 11. I might bring a Jonathan.

Ok, Cesar, I'll quit b***hing just for you...

Also, Evan, I feel your frustration.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
im going with hylian on this one.

MERRY EASTER!!!!!!

Is everybody ready for april 5th tourney? Its a 1 day event so plz be there on time!!! Bring a FULL SET-UP to reduce your entry fee.

and by the way. i decided to NOT DO melee at the tourney. its brawl all the way.....dont bother complaining or saying "i wont go if melee is not there" because i dont give a F. Its a new gen of smash. accept it or quit. Staying with a old game only hurts the OVER ALL smash community.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
this thread is where u need to post for ANYTHING concering this tourney. tell us your location and people will answer if they are close to you.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, you should play with us chris :)

Also, for the record, ganon's overB is like the best move in the ****in game.
Lies, use Wario's bike and press up and down repeatedly on the control stick. LOW RIDER! ;)

Most of Wario's moves have rigged priority, especially his aerials. He's just a weird character to get good with...

And Olimar is scary good. I'll be concerned if someone actually mains him and gets really good with him...he has incredible grab range, pressure ability, and has a lot of disjointed hitboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom